• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
always remember

nOCxT.png

Man, again with this? He wasn't referring to Halo as one of the copycats. Do you really think he's that dense?

I've always wanted a Gravity Gauntlet ringtone for my mobile telephone.

Now you can be an off-the-rails, vaporware-pimping asshole anywhere you go!

Distract the kids into thinking a Mechrodian soldier is invading their base!

Keep conversations fresh during carpooling by bringing up game mechanic shit nobody understands!

Impress your boss with a detailed understanding of quantum-kinetic interpolation!

Pets giving you trouble? Special anti-buffoonery frequencies embedded in the audio codec will deafen any animals with ultrasonic hearing up to 15 meters away!

Sai-kun

Banned
Quite frankly, I'd much rather 343i just put the CSR in the game UI. Not force me to open up a web browser to view it.

However, I think this technology is pretty cool. Great for web browsing? Not really. But When I see shots like this?

Xbox_One_Forza_with_Deadmau5_in_Snap.jpg

I'm excited for what the specific apps you can snap to will do. That is where snap should shine.

why would i want a huge portion of my screen taken up just to show an artist/album/song title + some crappy photography in the background?

image.php

j/k j/k ilu

I think a better implementation would be for them to make an achievement popup-style thing, except a bit more discreet.

You could always have a smaller, more subdued (so discreetchievements like you said, basically) menu on-screen like you would for watching videos on the 360, but control the game with the controller and the media menu with Kinect... or something like that, anyway. Maybe double-tap the Snap button to toggle between menu and game controls on the fly.

Just an idea... if you want to use a visible "cursor" onscreen for "fourth wall-breaking" functionality with Snap applied to games, why not have Kinect let you... snap to activate it?

I would snap it in, change song, and snap it out.

Which is a horrible system compared to accessing it through the guide button like we do now. I don't know why Microsoft is hell-bent on making everything anti-intuitive. I mean the Snap feature is cool, if you're not gaming, I don't think anyone wants to play Halo 5 in one half of the screen and Cortana waifu fanfic on the other.

Karl2177

It's been over a year since I posted a write-up on Waypoint, and I figured it's time to give it another look. Sadly, that look isn't good. Back then I asked for simplistic stats that are quick and easy to access. Let's see if they did that.

For starters, the Halo 4 stats section is a completely separate entity from Halo Waypoint. The Halo Waypoint app for mobile devices has been abandoned and left to die with Reach stats. If a player wants to access their stats for Halo 4 on a mobile device, they have to go through the SmartGlass app. If the player's recent game history has Halo 4 at a position more than 5 recent games back, they can't access them. This is a problem.

smartglass.png

As mentioned before, the Halo 4 stats are entirely separate from Waypoint, and require another sign-in to access them. The reason it is entirely separate is because it is a Microsoft app, which also requires the sign-in. A third party cannot view stats unless they are signed in. This is arguably one of the biggest issues with it. Searching for players is a pain, compared to the atrocious Reach search on Waypoint or the clean and simple search on bungie.net.

bungiesort.png

vs.
gamehistory.png

Looking at a player's game history is a chore. If a player wants to find the game where they had an insane overkill with the flag on Valhalla, they have to remember the approximate timeframe that the game took place. They cannot go in and search by gametype and map to find all instances where it could have taken place. To add to it, there isn't a preview function to briefly skim and look at medals, kills, deaths, etc. If a game is too far back, the app will simply stop returning previous games. I can't access my first multiplayer game, because it tells me "This app is currently experiencing troubles." I can go to halo.bungie.net and find my first Halo 2 game on this Gamertag in seconds.

The UI has a ton of issues, the largest being the multiple vertical scrolls in a horizontal field, as well as vertical scrolls inside other vertical scrolls. It also has issues with how it displays the scrolls with relation to the anchors that pertain to certain stats. The UI also has the unnecessary blocky feel that the UI of Halo 4 has. It isn't a good design, but at least it's consistently bad across the board. There is a sidebar that pops out to show active friends. It's not very helpful when looking for a particular friend, because it doesn't sort it in any logical way.

friends.png

The most obnoxious offender in the Halo 4 app is easily the background. For no reason, there is an animated background. It can be toggled off, but the fact that it defaults to on is annoying. To add to it, every time it cycles, it saves a ping.gif to your browser, bloating up certain browsers even more. It also loads every image that is possible in that frame. To clarify that, it won't load up Campaign images if the player is in the Matchmaking section. It will load an image of every map, gametype logo, medal, friend gamer picture, friend emblem combination, commendation, specialization, weapon, and terminal.

waypointbloat.png

File Shares have been added in, after they were missing at launch. They aren't tough to find, but they are located on the main Waypoint site, instead of the app site. Also on the Waypoint site is the online game manual. It has been updated a few times, but is currently outdated, as it is missing Forge Island, Pitfall/Vertigo pack, and Ricochet info. If a player wants to find out about the updates to Halo 4, they are out of luck. If the page exists, it is hidden in the maze of Waypoint.

I didn't think it was possible to do worst than the Halo Reach stats, but I guess it is. I doubt things can get worse than Halo 4 stats, but sadly I'm ready to be surprised. Bungie really spoiled us with stats.

Article link: http://aegisfate.wordpress.com/2013/10/31/lets-talk-about-waypoint-again/
EDIT: for reference, here's my old article on Waypoint re-upped to my blog.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Which is a horrible system compared to accessing it through the guide button like we do now. I don't know why Microsoft is hell-bent on making everything anti-intuitive. I mean the Snap feature is cool, if you're not gaming, I don't think anyone wants to play Halo 5 in one half of the screen and Cortana waifu fanfic on the other.

The guide dash is so slow though and navigating it is like going through an animal zoo.

TheOddOne

Question for OddOne: ever since creative director what's-his-name left the dev team last January, have we gotten a new "definitive" lead for 343 since Halo 4 shipped out?
No creative director has left 343. I think you mean the lead campaign designer?

They have hired some new designers, but I can't really place their position within the team at the moment. Also take into account that maybe some senior designers have moved up or taken up a lead position.

The guide dash is so slow though and navigating it is like going through an animal zoo.

I saw a walkthrough of the snap feature on Gaming Side, and it looked like worse of a pain in the ass. Assuming you have it set up, on the 360, it's just hit the guide button, go over to the right and hit play. The xbox one, you have to go to the dashboard, go to the snap feature, decide how much you want it to take up your screen, hit play, go to the dashboard again, unsnap it, and go back into the game.

And if you want to change your song, YOU'RE FUCKED.

Halo 5 needs to be the antitheses of 4 in practically every area. Better writing, better single player/co-op, leaner multiplayer options, better website, better stat handling.

No creative director has left 343. I think you mean the lead campaign designer?

They have hired some new designers, but I can't really place their position within the team at the moment. Also take into account that maybe some senior designers have moved up or taken up a lead position.

Gotcha, thanks for that.

I miss the idea of Morph Ball Prom Knights.

Ominym

Banned
why would i want a huge portion of my screen taken up just to show an artist/album/song title + some crappy photography in the background?

In my mind, I wouldn't leave the thing up the whole time. But it'd certainly be nice to have a seamless app that works with the UI when I do open it up. As opposed to a non-snap optimized web browsing experience.

Okay I have a problem with Mission 2 of the level Infinity while aboard the ship right when you get the Mantis, you're expected to take the Mantis and eliminate the resistance of enemies that block your path towards the elevator that brings you to the outer hull where the Didact is...

Now I decided to replay everything on Solo Legendary and tried to beat that level without obtaining a Mantis. The problem is that Promy Knights are a pain to kill all of them without you ever dying and redoing everything due to the checkpoints. Why design a level that isn't purposely necessary to use a device (in this case it's the Mantis) in getting passed everything when you do have the option to be a one man army yourself? The real problem, is that throwing multiples of Knights at player(s) is a real issue to defeat alone isn't fun, 343.

I've tried many ways going around this level without spawning zero Knights & Turrets but you cannot surpass the level unless causing them to spawn at square one near the broken doors you came out from...
There's no weapons cache. No reward in achieving that level without a Mantis solo.
So far I'm stuck at that very level without a Mantis and I don't plan on restarting the whole mission until I finish what I've started.

Nebula

That looks fine as hell.

Wahrer stalking Speedy is nice.

The saddest part about this, is that Halo 4 had so much potential. On a technical level the game is quite amazing, and the gunplay is pretty good, but all that goodness is buried under a steaming pile of CoD-flavored shit.

Two men enter, the better man leaves. The lesser man is respawning and that's Halo.

It shouldn't be more complicated than that.

I've not seen, or recall this poster from any HaloGAF OT. They nailed it.

Guys, I was watching a Rooster Teeth video and happened to find Speedy fighting in the youtube comments like a casual.

P0pZPlh.png

Link to the video for proof.

I've seen him pop up on some of those videos as well. It's so weird for some reason.

Microsoft Talks Halo Wars (among other things)

It's already been posted on Gaming Side, so don't worry.

Phil Spencer said:
"[Halo Wars is] something I'm very interested in. Bonnie [Ross, 343 Industries GM] and I talk about it quite a bit," Spencer revealed. "I think Halo Wars falls in the shadow of the Halo FPS. I mean, you're doing 10 or 12 million units of the Halo FPS, anything else that comes out Halo that doesn't hit those numbers, it's kind of easy for certain people to look at it and say, 'Well, that didn't work.' And I don't think that's the right measure of success; I think Halo Wars was a high-quality console-based RTS game. It was fun.

"And especially now, when I think about some of the capability -- you might roll your eyes at this -- but when I think about some voice and other things that you could add to that, that's the kind of gameplay that I think would be great in those scenarios. And also a game that maybe I could play on multiple devices: I could play on Windows as well, I could play on console, because it has that gameplay that lends itself so well to that. So I suspect you'll see us do something with...they're kind of busy right now at 343, which is good, we're really happy with what they're working on. But I think there is opportunity for us to do something more with that franchise and Bonnie, Kiki [Wolfkill, 343 executive producer], and Josh [Holmes, creative director] are doing a great job in thinking holistically about the Halo franchise."

As for who would develop such a game, IGN mentioned Robot Entertainment, the Ages of Empires Online and Orcs Must Die developer that was founded by former Ensemble employees. Spencer didn't seem so sure that's the direction that Microsoft would go in, though. "I haven't talked to [Robot Entertainment] in a while," he said. "In fact, I'm not sure what the status of that studio is. If we were going to do something we'd either have to think about doing it internally or finding a good RTS developer to help. There aren't a lot of great RTS developers out there anymore. We'd want to do a great job with it.

Karl2177

Okay I have a problem with Mission 2 of the level Infinity while aboard the ship right when you get the Mantis, you're expected to take the Mantis and eliminate the resistance of enemies that block your path towards the elevator that brings you to the outer hull where the Didact is...

Now I decided to replay everything on Solo Legendary and tried to beat that level without obtaining a Mantis. The problem is that Promy Knights are a pain to kill all of them without you ever dying and redoing everything due to the checkpoints. Why design a level that isn't purposely necessary to use a device (in this case it's the Mantis) in getting passed everything when you do have the option to be a one man army yourself? The real problem, is that throwing multiples of Knights at player(s) is a real issue to defeat alone isn't fun, 343.

I've tried many ways going around this level without spawning zero Knights & Turrets but you cannot surpass the level unless causing them to spawn at square one near the broken doors you came out from...
There's no weapons cache. No reward in achieving that level without a Mantis solo.
So far I'm stuck at that very level without a Mantis and I don't plan on restarting the whole mission until I finish what I've started.

Yup. I've tried doing the same thing. I would say it came down to a resource crunch and they didn't have enough time to put in that stuff, but the more I look at it I think it was simply overlooked. They have random weapon drops for shooting a few pylons and stuff in later levels, so it leads me away from the time crunch thing.

Haha. YouTube comments are as bad as you can get these days.

Plus speedy, he says "half a year ago", not "a year ago". Reading comprehension saves lives! ;)

Damn it! I guess I didn't win that argument. :p

Honestly, I agree on the YouTube comments thing. The way I act on there (and other forums) is much different then the way I act on GAF. Mostly has to do because I give a damn about my GAF account and it's just nice having a forum that converses with intelligent discussions. Mostly.

I don't see... WAIT.
You guys really need to stop going off on tangents.

Damn it! I guess I didn't win that argument. :p

Honestly, I agree on the YouTube comments thing. The way I act on there (and other forums) is much different then the way I act on GAF. Mostly has to do because I give a damn about my GAF account and it's just nice having a forum that converses with intelligent discussions. Mostly.

I can respect this, on other forums, i'm much more sarcastic, and have a more stylized form of posting, but trying to keep a GAF account you have to actually contribute, to conversations. (Imagine?)

I saw a walkthrough of the snap feature on Gaming Side, and it looked like worse of a pain in the ass. Assuming you have it set up, on the 360, it's just hit the guide button, go over to the right and hit play. The xbox one, you have to go to the dashboard, go to the snap feature, decide how much you want it to take up your screen, hit play, go to the dashboard again, unsnap it, and go back into the game.

And if you want to change your song, YOU'RE FUCKED.

"xbox music", choose your music, get rid of the snap

You'll be done before the awful guide is done being pulled up.

The guide was never an elegant solution. Performance is awful, UI is completely different from the rest of the OS, and you have limited options where you can change some things, but then others require you to go to that app/system.

Snapping allows you to pull up the appropriate apps for quick changes/actions as well as actual multitasking on the system, making it much more powerful and flexible as well as creating a unified experience using the system.

I really hope you can use the voice commands for everything.

Like, I hope you can say "Xbox, Play Katy Perry, Roar!", and "Xbox, Go to NeoGAF.com", etc. Would make it so much better.

Because you are Speedy Blue Dude.
Damn straight.
It really bugs me that my GAF name has a space after every word. I want it to just be SpeedyBlueDude, like everywhere else, but I already took that name when I tried registering for GAF a year and a half ago, I didn't know my school changed our school email's so I was never able to confirm my registration, so I had to wait 4 months to get back in school and sign up with our new school emails. At that point I had to take Speedy Blue Dude because SpeedyBlueDude was an unactivated account I could never have finished registering.

Because you are sai kun
I actually wanted to go to the Selena Gomez concert with Sai but we don't live near each other. :(
katy perry's my jam

i don't think i've ever heard a song of hers
Prepare to be amazed.

Anyone think we might be able to have Kinect send messages for us? "Xbox, Send Message to Tashi, Hey man want to play some Halo 5?" etc?

Windows Phone can do it, so I expect Microsoft will be able to make Kinect 2 do it if they wanted too. Honestly Kinect is just such a cool concept if it works. Being able to navigate everything with it is just a cool, futuristic idea. If it works fine, I can honestly see myself never using a controller to navigate the OS again, unless it's mandatory.

My wishlist for Kinect 2:
Let it be used as a camera to send picture messages to friends.
Let it be able to be used to reply to messages/send them.
Let it be used to boot up music/video, specific files, not just the program for it.
Let us be able to use it to quickly go on websites.
Let us be able to use it to quickly search terms.

Anyone think we might be able to have Kinect send messages for us? "Xbox, Send Message to Tashi, Hey man want to play some Halo 5?" etc?

Windows Phone can do it, so I expect Microsoft will be able to make Kinect 2 do it if they wanted too. Honestly Kinect is just such a cool concept if it works. Being able to navigate everything with it is just a cool, futuristic idea. If it works fine, I can honestly see myself never using a controller to navigate the OS again, unless it's mandatory.

My wishlist for Kinect 2:
Let it be used as a camera to send picture messages to friends.
Let it be able to be used to reply to messages/send them.
Let it be used to boot up music/video, specific files, not just the program for it.
Let us be able to use it to quickly go on websites.
Let us be able to use it to quickly search terms.

Picture messages? You mean now when I dong on guys in matchmaking, drunk Romanian guys will send me video clips of their flaccid penises as retribution?

Can I ask an honest question of the you guys since you play this more? Why is it that sitting in corners seems to be accepted in this game? In this game more than any other, I ALWAYS run into assholes just sitting in corners. It never changes. I rebought this game and am enjoying it, but goddamnit.

Top Bottom