• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

malfcn

So I load Halo 4, it says play for an emblem. No emblem is unlocked. But everything else in the game that I already unlocked has a new star next to it..

Armor says 262 new items for example.

So I load Halo 4, it says play for an emblem. No emblem is unlocked. But everything else in the game that I already unlocked has a new star next to it..

Last week's bulletin mentioned unlocking that emblem over the next week or so, relax you'll get your goodies mate.

Came on for the emblem B]

My PP 2 gewd. I actually had some fun in that Birthday Fiesta playlist and then that Skyline game with you guys. Halo 4 has potential but is missing key features and many customization options.

malfcn

Maybe I jumped the gun on the emblem unlock, but everything else always unlocked instantly. Also, that patch was huuge. And now having stars on everything is driving me crazy.
And what kind of codes are they dropping on Twitter?

Didn't even think of it until now, but a pumpkin could have been a cool Cryptum.

Fuchsdh

Came on for the emblem B]

My PP 2 gewd. I actually had some fun in that Birthday Fiesta playlist and then that Skyline game with you guys. Halo 4 has potential but is missing key features and many customization options.

Glad to hear it. Sad we couldn't pull you onto our team before you left.

daedalius

Pretty sure we witnessed a dude getting a OS on every one of his ordnance drops, oh and he had host :|

Infinity needs to be banished forever.

MaxRealflugel

Neo Member
I know many people on here lament the change of hands with regards to Halo. Everyone seemed happy when Bungie developed the games, now there's quite the discourse over 343i’s handling of the franchise, both in terms of gameplay and the fiction.

But is this just reluctance to inevitable change? Are players mourning the departure of Bungie, and inevitably a changing of the guard? Or do they genuinely despise 343i?

I suppose the best way to put this is: are players who regret the departure of Bungie simply fans of Bungie and not Halo?

And do they hope that Destiny will be their new Halo? And what if it’s not?

TheOddOne

j0BZWGMkJzFOC.png

Havok

Bulletin said:
The flow of the gameplay has similarities to Halo 3’s “VIP” game type, and we very much look forward to hearing your feedback.
Feedback: VIP was horrendous, I'm not sure why anyone would want to try to recapture that feeling.

Birthday playlist has the Grunt Birthday effect on from Reach. I don't know about you guys but that was the effect I used and I fuckin loved it. Pretty cool to hear the HOORAY again.
Except that it plays anytime someone kills someone else with almost no adjustment for distance to your player model. Horribly grating and annoying after even a single match.

The 2nd thing mentioned is that McCaffrey defends his 9.8 review score. More checks on the way?

Fuchsdh

Except that it plays anytime someone kills someone else with almost no adjustment for distance to your player model. Horribly grating and annoying after even a single match.

The 2nd thing mentioned is that McCaffrey defends his 9.8 review score. More checks on the way?
I think something both reviewers and fans forget is that these guys are going on to the next game and the next game and the next like clockwork. Their value of longevity is largely irrelevant to the score.

Booshka

What this really shows is just how many people have moved on from the Halo franchise as a whole.

:(

Which is pretty concerning for MS for next gen, Halo was the system seller for Xbox and 360, but it's not so much anymore. Probably why MS is clinging to CoD and going HAM on Titanfall to try and sell the Xbox One. Halo 5 is an unknown, and a lot of people stopped caring about Halo after 3, so it's not as simple as buying the Xbox for Halo like it used to be.

It would be in a higher place if they allowed the maps packs to be free or maybe more support by 343i to do customs or mini comunity games.

Or they didn't delay the free download until the window where GTA 5, Fifa 14, Battlefield 4 and Assassin's Creed 4 had all launched...

Minecraft holding steadfastly to the third spot though. What an absolute marvel that is. Someone in the gaming side Halo 4 thread said Halo's decline was chiefly because of the contemporary taste for military shooters. Cod's success isn't down to the fact it's in a 'realistic' military context; that is largely incidental. Cod is a success because they fused addictive RPG elements with an FPS and made that their own niche, along with other things like 60 FPS and meta features. Minecraft is simple and addictive for its playerbase and has an inherent charm and sovereignty. Stay true to yourself, Halo. Be yourself and the players will come flocking to you.

Nebula

Tin foil hat mode engage.

Bungie screwed 343 by adding CoD like features to Reach knowing 343 would follow suit.

MS screwed Halo 3 by waiting until it had incredible amounts of competition to draw away players from it.

Now all we need is someone high up in MS/343 to say Halo screwed Halo.

What this really shows is just how many people have moved on from the Halo franchise as a whole.

:(

Ehhh, I don't think that's necessarily true. We'll know for sure once they start dropping Halo bombs and see how the reception is, both prior and post launch.

But also sad at how much CoD you have above it, too. Such a stupid market.
Or they didn't delay the free download until the window where GTA 5, Fifa 14, Battlefield 4 and Assassin's Creed 4 had all launched...

Minecraft holding steadfastly to the third spot though. What an absolute marvel that is. Someone in the gaming side Halo 4 thread said Halo's decline was chiefly because of the contemporary taste for military shooters. Cod's success isn't down to the fact it's in a 'realistic' military context; that is largely incidental. Cod is a success because they fused addictive RPG elements with an FPS and made that their own niche, along with other things like 60 FPS and meta features. Minecraft is simple and addictive for its playerbase and has an inherent charm and sovereignty. Stay true to yourself, Halo. Be yourself and the players will come flocking to you.

The sad truth.

Which is pretty concerning for MS for next gen, Halo was the system seller for Xbox and 360, but it's not so much anymore. Probably why MS is clinging to CoD and going HAM on Titanfall to try and sell the Xbox One. Halo 5 is an UNKNOWN, and a lot of people stopped caring about Halo after 3, so it's not as simple as buying the Xbox for Halo like it used to be.

I'd rather you not include Halo 5 in my family until I'm sure it'll be a great game.

Considering a lot of my franchise babbus are getting a "soft reboot" of sorts that consist of trying to humanize the normally stoic protagonist and switching to more "modernized" aesthetics, I have a feeling we might be legitimately getting some titles dead on arrival when (if) their sequels roll around on the new systems.

rip halo

rip metroid

EDIT: I also think a big contributor to the huge population declines for certain titles are due to things getting stale or predictable and not having communities that make the games worth playing. For example, if I really need a Halo 4 fix, I'd probably get more enjoyment out of watching Rooster Teeth folks duking it out than having to deal with you assholes trying to find anyone on my friend list playing Halo 4 in the first place.

By contrast, plenty of players are creating content based in Minecraft / GTAV / etc but the sheer creativity factor means I could probably hop on GTAV and troll people and have just as much fun as watching some dorks play on youtube.

Considering a lot of my franchise babbus are getting a "soft reboot" of sorts that consist of trying to humanize the normally stoic protagonist and switching to more "modernized" aesthetics, I have a feeling we might be legitimately getting some titles dead on arrival when (if) their sequels roll around on the new systems.

rip halo

rip metroid

Just think if Nintendo actually gave a crap about online multiplayer and they released a new Metroid as their own "Halo," similar to Hunters but much more fleshed out.

Shockingly, there are Nintendo fans who don't want this because reasons. Nintendo fans are frikkin crazy man.......

I'm not hyped for Halo 5. More invested on Halo Tv than their next game tbh.

There hasn't been any real news lately. But even then, my expectations are set to zero until I get to play for it myself.

Video up on Waypoint of cut material from 4.

Silverlight is not behaving for me at all however :-/

Edit: Eventually opening it in IE got it to work for me. Loved weird manly Cortana face, wish each clip was a bit longer, it kind of blew through everything.
It would make for a fun BTS 5, 10 minute video with some of the devs sitting around talking about each of the crazy bugs in a humorous fashion.

Talents

Banned
I'm not hyped for Halo 5. More invested on Halo Tv than their next game tbh.

There hasn't been any real news lately. But even then, my expectations are set to zero until I get to play for it myself.

Same here. Until I hear them announce they're getting rid of AA's, flinch, ordinance and bringing back a competitive ranking system, I couldn't care less about Halo. But if they do bring all that back and make Halo good again, I'll buy an Xbox One just for the game.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Video up on Waypoint of cut material from 4.

Silverlight is not behaving for me at all however :-/

Edit: Eventually opening it in IE got it to work for me. Loved weird manly Cortana face, wish each clip was a bit longer, it kind of blew through everything.
It would make for a fun BTS 5, 10 minute video with some of the devs sitting around talking about each of the crazy bugs in a humorous fashion.

Not sure if I'm exactly proud of this
(I'm proud.)
but I'm responsible for that manly Cortana footage still. It was thought lost to the sands of time, but I had it saved on my local work machine since I tried showing it during our PAX Prime panel in 2012.

The cinematic team used a facial scan of one of our designers to show how powerful our new animation blending tools were. The reaction of the team when that was shown in the studio for the first time was amazing. It started with just pure revulsion and slowly morphed into a "maybe I would take this fine digital being out to dinner some time."

The reaction of the team when that was shown in the studio for the first time was amazing. It started with just pure revulsion and slowly morphed into a "maybe I would take this fine digital being out to dinner some time."
Ha! I can imagine.

In fact that's kind of what I meant about the video potentially benefiting from being a bit less frenetic? We too could be about to disgorge / question our sexual tastes if we had more time to look at .. that fine digital specimen.

Lest that sound too critical, it just looked like there was a lot of fun and interesting [to me] stuff there.

Top Bottom