• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

I've said it before, how can you not be excited for dedicated servers and Halo? No more black/waiting screen from standby/network cheating or host migration and no more split games or inaccurate player statistics. Looking at improved regional matching/servers alone I simply don't understand how you could not be excited.

The quality and proximity of the game host outweighs any in game mechanics such as weapon damage/cadence, movement or strafe, auto aim, melee etc. Call me crazy but hell yes I'm excited for next gen Halo.

Look at the decrease of networking hops. Look at the increase of host power/fairness of play. The new X1 services and dedicated global Internet pipelines/datacentres are literally going to be a multiplayer/coop game changer. Calling it now.

Dedicated servers means nothing if the gameplay is not up to par.

HTupolev

I've said it before, how can you not be excited for dedicated servers and Halo?
It's not like we don't have context for what reduced-lag Halo 4 would be like. Local games exist, and stuff.

Halo 4 with dedicated servers is still Halo 4. Huge improvement over what we have right now? Yes. I would take laggy peer-to-peer Halo 3 over it, though.

Dedicated servers means nothing if the gameplay is not up to par.

To an extent, yes the gameplay has to be good. For the most part the online fairness factor has little to do with game mechanics and more to do with connection. So much of the game is designed around online latency variables e.g. simultaneous melee kills, aim bullet magnetism, hitscan weapons, latency thresholds, network prediction, pre-loading, coop inputs, coop/multi interactive elements and more.

If a game isn't fair what fun is it? I could never go back to Halo 2 or 3 as my staple Halo and I play Halo 3 every other Thursday night, same as Reach. The game sucks online, in another thread I posted just last night a Halo 3 full party when on USA host all of us go 10k 20d then on Aussie host we all go 20k 5d on average. It's not us or our enemies or the game mechanics, it is the game connection quality deciding the fairness and the outcome of the game. Throw on top the inaccurate data for in game rank, coop input latency, black screen and cheating then it's clear why dedis are going to change Halo so very much.

To an extent, yes the gameplay has to be good. For the most part the online fairness factor has little to do with game mechanics and more to do with connection. So much of the game is designed around online latency variables e.g. simultaneous melee kills, aim bullet magnetism, hitscan weapons, latency thresholds, network prediction, pre-loading, coop inputs, coop/multi interactive elements and more.

If a game isn't fair what fun is it? I could never go back to Halo 2 or 3 as my staple Halo and I play Halo 3 every other Thursday night, same as Reach. The game sucks online, in another thread I posted just last night a Halo 3 full party when on USA host all of us go 10k 20d then on Aussie host we all go 20k 5d on average. It's not us or our enemies or the game mechanics, it is the game connection quality deciding the fairness and the outcome of the game. Throw on top the inaccurate data for in game rank, coop input latency, black screen and cheating then it's clear why dedis are going to change Halo so very much.

I'm tearing you down.

CyReN

ozzy.gif.pagespeed.ce.m4ZgpcCVp7.gif

I'm calling Ozzy crazy.

Do you think I like these facts of online play and what the game developers have to design into their systems for P2P smoke and mirrors? I'd much rather put forward ideas to improve gameplay itself but the reality is online fairness is the number 1 factor when looking at Halo historically, currently and into the new dedis future.

I've seen it all first hand for over a decade and things have become fairer in region matching and game mechanics designed around such issues. The quality of Internet connections and reduction in latency has helped P2P as well. However we all know what happens when Aussies pull host, the USA players quit out at a ratio of at least 10-40% of the other team. Imagine how much fun that is when your party finally pulls host and the other team quits early on.

Take a look at firefight or SPOPS and how many players quit just because they didn't pull host? How many don't play simply because of input latency? Take a look at in game rank for older games or CSR for Halo 4. The ranks are borked because almost every game has at least one host migration in it and therefore unreliable player statistics for kills or deaths or caps etc.

Anyhow you get the point, I'll stop filling the thread with my perspective.

@Cyren: You Yankees are always confusing Brits with Aussies, you're making me miss pre game trash talking in Halo 3.

Am I the only one here that reads everyone else's posts but skips Ozzy's?

I do the same thing but the other way around. I've got everyone on ignore except for Ozzy and I try and use deductive reasoning to figure out what conversations are going on based on his quotes and posts alone. From what I can tell, sltyhalogaf's mostly been banished to the outlands due to something I've got labeled as the "Great Kerning," that someone in this room is a alt moiderah, HGS turned into a barren wasteland once Mayor Ghaleon let Speedy start dumping toxic waste into their flower gardens, and kittens, devo and sai kun have started a 'nonprofits and activism' sub-community within halogaf that has weekly bake sales and fingerpainting sessions.

I might be off by a few marks, though.

(I only saw your post because I'll temporarily un-ignore key pawns in my convoluted web of checkers just to see how accurate my rabbit hole goes)

Booshka

"Online Fairness" is my favorite excuse for why Halo has been dumbed down game after game for coming on a decade.

Quake, Counter-Strike, Starcraft:Brood War, DoTA, etc are some of the most mechanically demanding and skill based games ever made, they were played online 10-15 years ago and no one was crying for them to be dumbed down because they joined laggy games.

Ping needs to not be hidden, you shouldn't have to connect with people with insane latency to you. Rank, skill based matching, server browsing, this is how you create "online fairness." Dumbing down the game to the point that it doesn't really matter if you can actually aim and land shots in the name of "online fairness" is ridiculous and delusional.

It's not us or our enemies or the game mechanics, it is the game connection quality deciding the fairness and the outcome of the game.

You know you're right. It's not like people who suck at the game actually suck. If they have host and everyone else in the game is from a continent thousands of miles away, there's no way the other team / players will win. It's not like, you know, Halo 4's netcode will still count your shots unless your aim is terrible.

For example, I imagined this entire game ever happened against these guys. Sadly, the truth is just that for the most part, in 2013, you're using host issues as an excuse in most cases. Not to mention, dedis won't make your gameplay experience against yanks any different. It will only make a difference playing other Aussies. But I suppose it's better to ignore that and continue believing that dedis will solve all your problems.

Welcome to the ignore list, you won't be missed.

image.php

@Cyren: You Yankees are always confusing Brits with Aussies, you're making me miss pre game trash talking in Halo 3.

afGlDRN.gif

Not sure if serious...

Personally, I don't play games for the gameplay, I just like to measure packet loss.

Wait, I thought everyone here just played Halo to complain about how bad it is?

Just kidding, we don't even play Halo. Seriously though 343 make Halo 5 good, restore some goodwill and make this fanbase actually play Halo again.

"Online Fairness" is my favorite excuse for why Halo has been dumbed down game after game for coming on a decade.

Quake, Counter-Strike, Starcraft:Brood War, DoTA, etc are some of the most mechanically demanding and skill based games ever made, they were played online 10-15 years ago and no one was crying for them to be dumbed down because they joined laggy games.

Ping needs to not be hidden, you shouldn't have to connect with people with insane latency to you. Rank, skill based matching, server browsing, this is how you create "online fairness." Dumbing down the game to the point that it doesn't really matter if you can actually aim and land shots in the name of "online fairness" is ridiculous and delusional.

When did I equate online fairness to dumbing the game down? I didn't and don't put words into my mouth. The games you mention are basically all PC based and when they did port to console they had the same matchmaking issues I'm describing.

I agree Halo has seen a decrease in solo power to team based player and allowing to be more accessible. Bungie have done this with each game iteration and 343i continued it. Personally I thought Halo 2 was the sweet spot but I want all the latest networking bells and whistles.

You know you're right. It's not like people who suck at the game actually suck. If they have host and everyone else in the game is from a continent thousands of miles away, there's no way the other team / players will win. It's not like, you know, Halo 4's netcode will still count your shots unless your aim is terrible.
Telling me I suck, nice what did I expect from HaloGAF?
For example, I imagined this entire game ever happened against these guys. Sadly, the truth is just that for the most part, in 2013, you're using host issues as an excuse in most cases. Not to mention, dedis won't make your gameplay experience against yanks any different. It will only make a difference playing other Aussies. But I suppose it's better to ignore that and continue believing that dedis will solve all your problems.

image.php
Yes player skills/teamwork can trump online latency, how else would I and other Aussies reach 50's in Halo 3? It's not the normal outcome though, but you know that already. Also go ahead and pull one video to meet your end point, great science mate.
afGlDRN.gif

Not sure if serious...

Yes serious, Ozzy Osbourne is from England not USA look it up. Also in Aus Yankees got a nice reputation for "tea and crumpets" insults again Aussies, always mistaking us for Brits.

I must be wrong, you've all enjoyed the benefits of USA host for the last 10+ years and we international players should continue to wish for shitty hosted games. My bad being excited for a fair go at Halo online and goodnight.

Yes player skills/teamwork can trump online latency

But in your post you literally said that wasn't possible...

, how else would I and other Aussies reach 50's in Halo 3?

Because you had God-tier teammates?

It's not the normal outcome though, but you know that already. Also go ahead and pull one video to meet your end point, great science mate.
No, that's just the latest video I had on hand where we played Aussies. I always smh when you bring this bullshit up.

Yes serious, Ozzy Osbourne is from England not USA look it up.

Ozzy Osbourne

I give up. You guys apparently have no sense of humor either.

always mistaking us for Brits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2gii2nenUg

I must be wrong, you've all enjoyed the benefits of USA host for the last 10+ years and we international players should continue to wish for shitty hosted games. My bad being excited for a fair go at Halo online and goodnight.

ITT everyone is American and Ozzy is never wrong and is amazing at Halo.

And goodnight? It's like what, 6PM there? Quit pandering to us spoiled Americans already. You can't have our amazing host skills, bro.

Trey

Are there people excited for Halo 5?

Yep. Probably always will be. Really simple for 343 to "just make Halo" 'cause it's a game that still exists in its best form, just a bunch of unnecessary stuff on top of it. Expand the options suite. Dedis, 60 fps already confirmed. Still invested in this goofy ass storyline. Halo's juice bottomed out with 4 so 343 really has no choice but to go back to its roots.

CyReN

You guys ever just get scared thinking that they will just go straight ADS, destructible environments, more perks, shitty cod clan system, sliding/leaning/sprint and still no ranks.

HkkIvZp.gif

blamite

No. No. No.

You are wrong for being excited for a game based on noting but unearned trust of the developer and the Infinite Power of the Cloud™.

I'm sure the matchmaking experience sucks in Australia and I hope it gets better for you guys, but the actual gameplay of the game you're playing is much more important and right now there's not much reason to think the next Halo will be very good.

For someone who can't tell England from Austrailia, you sure as shit ain't telling me I'm from USA of America.

TheOddOne

These last two pages.

Wow very argument, much sense, such grace.
jos8MmOGj7oxt.png

You know, these are the kind of reasons people move to this lovely country.

God Bless Us.

You guys ever just get scared thinking that they will just go straight ADS, destructible environments, more perks, shitty cod clan system, sliding/leaning/sprint and still no ranks.

HkkIvZp.gif

I think that would actually be great for Halo.

I really liked how in Halo 2 the maps felt a bit more alive, there was inert action with buttons and doors and crates and some things that could break.

Now the rest of that crap can just stay away, but destructible environments could be sweet.

daedalius

HkkIvZp.gif

Dunno if they'd go that far, could it even really be called Halo at that point?

It would literally really be COD in space. You'd think after this time they'd see that those comparisons aren't doing them any favors.

Elros

GtqboCy.png

Finally ! More than 6 years after release, and 3 years after the previous achievement !

(even if I got a _little_ help from my friends for this last one)

Nebula

Hey I've not checked HaloGAF yet I wonder w... WOAH MY GOD!

Dedis aren't going to mean fuck all if the game plays like crap Ozzy. I'm sorry man but you just can't argue that. I do however see what you mean by it making games fairer and removing the advantage from certain countries
USA Host lol still got my SWAT 50 come at me scrubs
and allowing the game to be more about a players skill rather than a players connection.

HaloGAF needs to hug it out.

Gratz Elros!

Legendary Spartan Ops is the most tedious piece of shit in all of Halo. Can't wait to be done with this.

Poke my head out for a second and 15 fucking Fuel Rods and Storm Rifles sniping me from across the map with 100% accuracy. Who designed this shit?

http://youtu.be/3LI30TaOKWU?t=45s

freakin chills man

its been a while

WHY WASN'T THE ARBITER IN HALO 4?!?!?

UNFORGIVABLE - There have been several acts of heresy by 343. What's so difficult about giving the fans what they want? Why are Halo devs so resilient to that? Give us the Arbiter, give us the Grenade Launcher, give us Mk. V, give us Camo as a Power-up.. I don't think that's asking for much. These are design decisions early on to not include these things, but why?

EDIT: I try to love you Halo, but you make it so difficult.

Legendary Spartan Ops is the most tedious piece of shit in all of Halo. Can't wait to be done with this.

Poke my head out for a second and 15 fucking Fuel Rods and Storm Rifles sniping me from across the map with 100% accuracy. Who designed this shit?

Its a pain in the ass if you are doing that Solo, bring some friends and end this nightmare

WHY WASN'T THE ARBITER IN HALO 4?!?!?

UNFORGIVABLE - There have been several acts of heresy by 343. What's so difficult about giving the fans what they want? Why are Halo devs so resilient to that? Give us the Arbiter, give us the Grenade Launcher, give us Mk. V, give us Camo as a Power-up.. I don't think that's asking for much. These are design decisions early on to not include these things, but why?

EDIT: I try to love you Halo, but you make it so difficult.

The arbiter is pretty much a political figure now in the novels also is
The UNSC's bitch since he lacks spaceships and military to defend shanghelios

Top Bottom