• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Fuchsdh

neono0xkyu.gif

I don't think so but my map I enter was Blurtle. Also FireStone did not make it and that was the only good map.
Still disappointed in the results that my map did not make it and the maps they picked were horrible.

Eh, they were all decent maps. Hekau did seem to be one that most people had a visceral reaction to if they didn't like it. Can't say I played enough on the maps to really get a feel for their weaknesses though.

Eh, they were all decent maps. Hekau did seem to be one that most people had a visceral reaction to if they didn't like it. Can't say I played enough on the maps to really get a feel for their weaknesses though.

Goddamn that map gave me nightmares. Like, I'm talking there was no flow to the map at all. I like FireStone a lot, except it seemed a bit, short, if that makes any sense.

If it had no sprint it would be better. Right?

Honestly, I think that Hekau was pretty much trash.

Anything that talks about forge maps needs to include an image of that map, because their names are pointlessly obtuse. They need functional names until they finally implement unique thumbnails in-game anyway.

Hekau should be called Asteroid, Inheritor should be called Center Fall (and definitely not something else Halo-related that will fuck up a Google search, like Inheritor), and Butter should be called Catwalk. Or anything with an ounce of relevance to the actual map.

Catwalk I thought was great (finally a small map), but Center Fall was pretty fun, too. Asteroid, eh, not a huge fan.

Anything that talks about forge maps needs to include an image of that map, because their names are pointlessly obtuse. They need functional names until they finally implement unique thumbnails in-game anyway.

Hekau should be called Asteroid, Inheritor should be called Center Fall (and definitely not something else Halo-related that will fuck up a Google search, like Inheritor), and Butter should be called Catwalk. Or anything with an ounce of relevance to the actual map.

Catwalk I thought was great (finally a small map), but Center Fall was pretty fun, too. Asteroid, eh, not a huge fan.

oEnYQpO.gif

One of my favorite Eugene posts yet. Asteroid can go die.

Fuchsdh

A custom map thumbnail and the ability to pair and auto-update map/gametype combos, plus a better solution to searching for files within the game itself = insta-win in my book. 343 solves that problem, and they've opened up a massively larger player base for custom content, which in turn invites more people to use Forge, etc. Even with the limitations of the mode, I'm more convinced it's the lack of a proper ecosystem to support it that's holding it back now.

A custom map thumbnail and the ability to pair and auto-update map/gametype combos, plus a better solution to searching for files within the game itself = insta-win in my book. 343 solves that problem, and they've opened up a massively larger player base for custom content, which in turn invites more people to use Forge, etc. Even with the limitations of the mode, I'm more convinced it's the lack of a proper ecosystem to support it that's holding it back now.

They need a fair more dynamic ecosystem IMO. Something like CC and developer toggles/voting in game/customs or private Waypoint forum polls that directly and automatically put maps/gametypes into the live matchmaking systems. Why can't all this be dynamic? If the CC's control the quality it removes the strictness/static nature of developer controlled systems but alleviates the splintering/crap-shoot of custom browser lists etc. Further with all this talk of background downloading or playing while downloading why can't this be applied to required content of maps/gametypes? They're generally fairly small files so create a release schedule and force users into background downloading or required downloads if that feature is disabled.

CCs = a specific public live playlist with their votes/toggles
343i developers = release the above to more/all playlists and additional dynamic controls. Also they obviously produce their own launch/DLC content of maps and gametypes too.

After all if they/CA built Forge why are we so QA focused on the games produced with it? When you look at the track record of glitches or bugs or exploits is the developer/QA processed stuff so 100% gold value that we should exclude community content? The simple answer is no IMO. The iterative approach they use now to fix bugs or exploits should simply apply to the community content as well. Certainly with the new sustain team and cadence this is worthy of serious consideration or pipeline redevelopment.

Automate and combine Waypoint voting polls (that clearly link the featured community content) with opt-in game voting polls for both public customs and private CCs. All of a sudden the crap and limitations from custom browsers are removed, the QA is still present by CCs & developers while providing easy data points for review, a live rating system and a cyclic community content live release system. Iterate ongoing as always.

For all we know playlists could be a thing of the past with the next Halo. I'm very curious what the new XBL platform and Halo have in store.

So a guy who bricked his PS4 got it working again...and then bricked it again by removing the HDD while the PS4 was on :/

Who the fuck tries to hotswap with a gaming console?
I guess that guy

Fuchsdh

They need a fair more dynamic ecosystem IMO. Something like CC and developer toggles/voting in game/customs or private Waypoint forum polls that directly and automatically put maps/gametypes into the live matchmaking systems. Why can't all this be dynamic? If the CC's control the quality it removes the strictness/static nature of developer controlled systems but alleviates the splintering/crap-shoot of custom browser lists etc. Further with all this talk of background downloading or playing while downloading why can't this be applied to required content of maps/gametypes? They're generally fairly small files so create a release schedule and force users into background downloading or required downloads if that feature is disabled.

CCs = a specific public live playlist with their votes/toggles
343i developers = release the above to more/all playlists and additional dynamic controls. Also they obviously produce their own launch/DLC content of maps and gametypes too.

After all if they/CA built Forge why are we so QA focused on the games produced with it? When you look at the track record of glitches or bugs or exploits is the developer/QA processed stuff so 100% gold value that we should exclude community content? The simple answer is no IMO. The iterative approach they use now to fix bugs or exploits should simply apply to the community content as well. Certainly with the new sustain team and cadence this is worthy of serious consideration or pipeline redevelopment.

Automate and combine Waypoint voting polls (that clearly link the featured community content) with opt-in game voting polls for both public customs and private CCs. All of a sudden the crap and limitations from custom browsers are removed, the QA is still present by CCs & developers while providing easy data points for review, a live rating system and a cyclic community content live release system. Iterate ongoing as always.

For all we know playlists could be a thing of the past with the next Halo. I'm very curious what the new XBL platform and Halo have in store.

Who the fuck tries to hotswap with a gaming console?
I guess that guy

I think a better answer is a custom game browser. We can see what the community at large wants, and it leads to stuff like Shotgun Ricochet. You absolutely need to curate content that gets presented, and 343i has done a good job. I don't want them handing the keys over to the whim of the player base, because matchmaking by committee will get messy indeed.

My point is that they can do more to allow that custom experience to be maintained and supported by the players themselves. The Waypoint system of searching for top-rated files by duration works pretty well, but on the console it's much more limited. Tag, author, type searches all need to be made more powerful, but what would be better is essentially a marketplace for this stuff--hell, if we're dreaming it would support previous Halos as well, but to be realistic just Halo 5. Allow people an easy link to their own page where they can host their maps, and a way for players to see what's new and updated.

I think a better answer is a custom game browser. We can see what the community at large wants, and it leads to stuff like Shotgun Ricochet. You absolutely need to curate content that gets presented, and 343i has done a good job. I don't want them handing the keys over to the whim of the player base, because matchmaking by committee will get messy indeed.

My point is that they can do more to allow that custom experience to be maintained and supported by the players themselves. The Waypoint system of searching for top-rated files by duration works pretty well, but on the console it's much more limited. Tag, author, type searches all need to be made more powerful, but what would be better is essentially a marketplace for this stuff--hell, if we're dreaming it would support previous Halos as well, but to be realistic just Halo 5. Allow people an easy link to their own page where they can host their maps, and a way for players to see what's new and updated.

SIDE NOTE: bulletin is up

The PC world of a custom browser and notification you require such and such content is accepted there. I suppose on consoles they want to avoid that. If you look at Azure and next gen Halo user generated content has to be hosted by dedis and not PvP any more so there is data replication for servers etc. Doing that all the time for any content any user creates would be a too hard basket task I think.

Having a Waypoint and/or in game personal space like fileshare is great but doesn't lead to quick CC/developer releasing of content. I think we really want the PC modding side of things where you create it and release it in a very small window with a large audience.

If you think about traditional matchmaking then you have the population and matching issues. If you provide a full custom browser what would happen to other core playlists like slayer or throwdown or CTF?

The marketplace idea seems to be the same end point for us. I'd like the players and CCs to create and rate their own content which is basically the automated funnelling of content into that marketplace. By allowing CC's to publish content to say limited playlists we're sidestepping the massive content generated by users, slow to release by developer control and allowing more in depth filters at a marketplace level to then go to work on the quality content rather than all the content.

After all if say 1 in 4 users created a quick map copy or even a new map/gametype at launch the custom browser would be 100,000 maps in one hour. Now look at author versions or copycat rip offs etc. Even if you said 1 in 50 with the 400,000 on Halo 4 launch day statistic it would be 8,000 listings to sort through in a custom browser, on a console no less.

I agree 343i has done great work of late in terms of sustain frequency and rounds of CC's or competitions for community content. I also agree giving such control over to players 100% isn't the answer either.

Another point is unless developers "approve" major maps/gametypes they're always relegated to social experiences in place of ranked experiences. Perhaps a core set of playlists and a filtered custom browser is a better method?

Been researching the several companies involved with Halo 4's content creation lately. It's interesting so far. Seeing how well they did it leaves me with no doubts that Halo XB1 will have quality content.

My only real concern is the MP. And their "Vision & philosophy" for their projects.

A lot of money and effort was put into this game. Hoping their next game is light years beyond what H4 is.
(bcuz you know. It was planned that Halo 4's development was created as a stepping stone so that Halo 5 will have the most time & resources put into it. #Inb4passiveagressiveness)

The sound on my launch Gamecube completely stopped working no later than 12 hours after picking it up from Gamestop. I Immediately sent it for repair and received it back the following week. The exact same problem occurred 2 weeks later with that unit, which meant no Christmas Super Monkey Ball. I was pissed.

Fuchsdh

The sound on my launch Gamecube completely stopped working no later than 12 hours after picking it up from Gamestop. I Immediately sent it for repair and received it back the following week. The exact same problem occurred 2 weeks later with that unit, which meant no Christmas Super Monkey Ball. I was pissed.

Only hardware issue I've ever had with my gaming hardware was with my Pokemon Red Game Boy cartridge. The battery in it died, so once I turned off my game I lost everything. On the flight back from Paris I managed to catch a Pikachu in Veridian Forest... so sad when I lost that save. I think my dad actually sent the cartridge into Nintendo support and they fixed it, which seems sort of mind-boggling these days.

Only hardware issue I've ever had with my gaming hardware was with my Pokemon Red Game Boy cartridge. The battery in it died, so once I turned off my game I lost everything. On the flight back from Paris I managed to catch a Pikachu in Veridian Forest... so sad when I lost that save. I think my dad actually sent the cartridge into Nintendo support and they fixed it, which seems sort of mind-boggling these days.
My original Xbox dies after a year, my PS3 died, my 360 had been repaired 5 times.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I really hope that F2P game is something most people will love, like either a classic Rare IP or something that makes perfect sense (Halo's multiplayer).

Give us something like Banjo Kazooie with the creation tools of Project Spark and that'll hold off my platforming itch for quite a while. Perhaps a F2P Perfect Dark multiplayer with episodic Campaign?

Can you imagine if Microsoft released CE with XBL multiplayer on Xbox One, day one?

My God. Sony would be so dad.
What if that's the F2P game?!
I'd probably have a heart attack.

Newt

Can you imagine if Microsoft released CE with XBL multiplayer on Xbox One, day one?

My God. Sony would be so dad.
What if that's the F2P game?!
I'd probably have a heart attack.
This would be cool, but it wouldn't really make sense. More likely would be Halo 2, but even that has a pretty low chance of happening.

bulletin

LOL

This post represents virtually every bulletin ever without the quote showing up. good job pnut

So they're switching from updating every game to every week? :lol

Also, who wants to bet we don't get get H2A, but they shit on H2's grave by making it F2P and introducing ordnance, introducing gameplay-altering unlocks and all that good stuff?

I can see it now: "$4.99USD - Unlock In-Map Super Jumps"

incoming hydranockz "I don't like you, he doesn't like you either *points to overdoziz*" post

A Free to Play Halo game sounds fucking awesome. What if that's what Halo 5 is? What if Halo Online is the ONLY form of Halo multiplayer to come out? Buying Halo 5 and Halo 6 merely give you 20 or so more maps, new armor and emblems, and maybe new game modes.

Okay, downloaded the PS app.

Give me your PSN ID's so I can add you via the app.

I'm not sure if you can add me yet though, seeming as I need the console to finalise the registration on the console itself.

But let me know if you can add me back, so I know it's working.

Thanks.

IHaveIce

Banned
A Free to Play Halo game sounds fucking awesome. What if that's what Halo 5 is? What if Halo Online is the ONLY form of Halo multiplayer to come out? Buying Halo 5 and Halo 6 merely give you 20 or so more maps, new armor and emblems, and maybe new game modes.

yeah I already thought about a concept of Halo like this. a multiplayer game that is free and just gets stuff through campaign games ( Halo 5 and 6) and dlc.

But still not sure if I would want that, the details would make the deal

Maps need to be free. We've seen for four games what paid DLC does to Halo's population.

Come up with other ideas to generate DLC revenue instead of multiplayer maps. Firefight maps/missions could be paid since that could allow them to add more content, AI, mission structure tools to create Spartan Ops missions, etc..

wwm0nkey

It just doesn't look interesting to me. lol.

+

2592691563_bddfbcf49c_o.gif

edit: perfect gif for top of the page.
Bro, come on now I-No is superior.
ibvIRp99vnYaej.gif
Okay, downloaded the PS app.

Give me your PSN ID's so I can add you via the app.

I'm not sure if you can add me yet though, seeming as I need the console to finalise the registration on the console itself.

But let me know if you can add me back, so I know it's working.

Thanks.
Mine is just wwm0nkey like my XBL/GAF tag.

Top Bottom