• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Lazslo

Anyone hosting any Halo3 customs tonight? Haven't played customs with HaloGaf since Dax was still a dude. Hopefully someone will host a game tonight, I'm up for some Halo 3.

Madness

DS4 is excellent as well.

Yeah, just tried the DS4 today, I just went with a friend who had pre-ordered his ps4. Much, much better than the DS3, more comfortable too, but after having played with the Xbox One controller a few weeks back, I'd still pick the Xbox One.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Not going to be the norm going forward. PS4 version of COD and AC is 720p without a patch. It's optimization and time that made them 720p.

If multiplats have parity anytime throughout these consoles' lifespan, it's because of poor optimization on the dev's part. Just as the 360 had better multiplat performance this gen, the PS4 should consistently have better ports.

I'm not saying XB1 games will be 720p while PS4 games are 900/1080p because that definitely won't happen, but there should always be some differences.

HTupolev

I'm not saying XB1 games will be 720p while PS4 games are 900/1080p because that definitely won't happen, but there should always be some differences.
Eh, I really wouldn't be shocked if we see a moderate number of multiplats with 720 vs. 900 and 900 vs. 1080 gaps.

The XBO's eSRAM might offer more bandwidth for a few things, but the console might not utilize the bandwidth as well due to a less convenient memory architecture (and due to having FAR fewer TMUs and ROPs to access the memory with). Meanwhile, the PS4 has 40% more raw computational power available in the shaders... and 40% happens to be almost identical to the pixel throughput difference between 720p and 900p, or between 900p and 1080p.

I suppose it's possible that the XBO might have a slight advantage on the CPU side in some multiplats (it's hard to tell without knowing more about the hardware), but that would be unlikely to bridge the resolution gap.

CoD-tier gaps will likely not happen much, though.

Fuchsdh

Eh, I really wouldn't be shocked if we see a moderate number of multiplats with 720 vs. 900 and 900 vs. 1080 gaps.

The XBO's eSRAM might offer more bandwidth for a few things, but the console might not utilize the bandwidth as well due to a less convenient memory architecture (and due to having FAR fewer TMUs and ROPs to access the memory with). Meanwhile, the PS4 has 40% more raw computational power available in the shaders... and 40% happens to be almost identical to the pixel throughput difference between 720p and 900p, or between 900p and 1080p.

I suppose it's possible that the XBO might have a slight advantage on the CPU side in some multiplats (it's hard to tell without knowing more about the hardware), but that would be unlikely to bridge the resolution gap.

CoD-tier gaps will likely not happen much, though.

I doubt we're going to see much in the way of rez gaps by mid-or-end cycle; PS4 will probably see nicer textures, more particles, that sort of thing. Aside from first-party titles, I doubt most of the differences will ever amount to anything I care about; I can survive despite knowing there might be some ephemerally "prettier" version of the game out there.

Either way, anyone who thinks they're going to see any sort of quality 4K gaming on this generation is smoking something crazy. Devs are going to put the pixels they would have to push out into something more useful.

ElRenoRaven

Well hopefully in about 2 to 3 weeks I'll have a working PS4. Hopefully you MS folks will have a better launch then we're having so far.

Booshka

Well hopefully in about 2 to 3 weeks I'll have a working PS4. Hopefully you MS folks will have a better launch then we're having so far.

Unfinished consoles to go along with the unfinished games. Every launch is a public beta test now. Sucks to hear, hopefully everything works out.

Hopefully by the time I get a PS4 all of the major issues are fixed, otherwise I guess I will just hold off until they are. I got lucky with 360, sorta, never got RROD, just got a video display issue. I only had to buy 2 360's over the last 6+ years, and the one I am rocking now is from early 2009.

wwm0nkey

No I got the blue pulse of doom. The 3 common problems seem to be

Broken HDMI port
Blue Pulse of doom which means console is just screwed
Then update download followed by brick mid install.
Hmmm a blue pulse is my normal start up.

Either way I hope you get it back soon.

danwarb

I doubt we're going to see much in the way of rez gaps by mid-or-end cycle; PS4 will probably see nicer textures, more particles, that sort of thing. Aside from first-party titles, I doubt most of the differences will ever amount to anything I care about; I can survive despite knowing there might be some ephemerally "prettier" version of the game out there.

Either way, anyone who thinks they're going to see any sort of quality 4K gaming on this generation is smoking something crazy. Devs are going to put the pixels they would have to push out into something more useful.

PS4 won't see better textures without more RAM or higher capacity discs/downloads. Fancier effects though, yep.

ElRenoRaven

Hmmm a blue pulse is my normal start up.

Either way I hope you get it back soon.

Yea there should be a normal one. But the blue pulse of doom is a constant blue pulse. It never does anything but that. Then with that you can't get it into standby either. It's basically a total bricking of the console.

Defect

If anybody wants to add me for Xbox One, my GT is Defective 2.

I'll be playing Killer Instinct a lot and need more people to play with. I'll get Forza, DR3, BF4 soon also.

Omni

I had forgotten how ugly CE is.

sucks that CEA was limited to Xbox 360 for some reason. Would have been amazing on PC.

Did the patch put DLC maps in matchmaking? Its been a while since I played in the boneyard map

Sad to hear that man.

Now I am scared, hope I can get the second batch.

This is awesome, each achievement on xbox one records and you can see the clips.

vbXK5EF.jpg

Omni

I love how CE looks, even today. I much prefer it to the gross brown/grey/green color palette of games like TitanFall and Call of Duty.

You just described that level, haha. I'm pretty sure someone has played around with saturation levels in that image to make it more colourful than it was.

but yeah, I agree that in general it's better than the bland 'gritty realistic' artstyle.

Nowise10

This is awesome, each achievement on xbox one records and you can see the clips.

vbXK5EF.jpg

Wut. That is really cool if true, its going to be fun to go back in time and see all the moments.
I only feel that, that is going to take up a lot of space on your harddrive.

Or more that play button means to play the game, which I'm assuming it is.

I have been playing PS4 like crazy. System wise I am surprised how close to the PS3 OS this is. Dont get me wrong its a major step up but there are still some manual things (installs after downloads) that take away from it for me. It doesnt detract from it but I think the 360 is better in some areas.

You can message a friend from the main dash now mid game. Because of this resume feature you need to shut down you app(game) manually or it runs in the background. It will prompt to do it for you if you fire up another game.

The PSN store is worlds better as are Playstation apps for iphone and android.

The controller is fantastic. Easily on par with the 360. I am older than a lot of you guys so I have used every Playstation controller. This is easily the best one.

Netflix is great, runs much better on PS4.

Killzone looks great. It's worth it for that alone but honestly, If you love Halo you probably won't like Killzone. As far as player movement it is the anit Halo. It is VERY slow and heavy. I like the MP, I am not in love with it.

AC4 looks great, I am only just started it.

I have an Xbox One on pre order and I am thinking about flipping it now. That said 343 really has an opportunity here. Halo plays much different (or should) than anything else out there. It's the last of the arena shooters so either way I will probably be there when they launch the next Halo.

You sure about that?

I thought achievements just all have a big art asset associated with them now:
BZKzhjpCYAEiS2B.jpg:large

I know for a fact that there is a feature that auto records when you get an achievement. The rest i am guessing on. The play is for the videos imo since look at this achievement screenshot:

Achievements_1P_jpg_jpgcopy.jpg

TCKaos

In the new South Park episode there's a bit around the 9 minute mark where the Star Trek kids get a facetime request from Cartman. The sound that plays when his face appears is the Halo 2 message/invite sound.

Just thought you would want to know.

RIP Halo.

daedalius

I have an Xbox One on pre order and I am thinking about flipping it now. That said 343 really has an opportunity here. Halo plays much different (or should) than anything else out there. It's the last of the arena shooters so either way I will probably be there when they launch the next Halo.

Is there anything else like an arena shooter/Halo out on consoles right now? I am really sad that EVERYTHING has almost become a military shooter.

Sometimes I seriously feel like reinstalling UT2004 and Quake Live.

In the new South Park episode there's a bit around the 9 minute mark where the Star Trek kids get a facetime request from Cartman. The sound that plays when his face appears is the Halo 2 message/invite sound.

Just thought you would want to know.

RIP Halo.

Episode is SOgood.gif

Top Bottom