• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Maybe your Achievement clips are stored on the cloud to avoid clogging up your hard drive?

Is there anything else like an arena shooter/Halo out on consoles right now? I am really sad that EVERYTHING has almost become a military shooter.

Sometimes I seriously feel like reinstalling UT2004 and Quake Live.

I think Quake Live is actually getting an update soon that'll move it to a standard application format rather than being browser-based.

also livechamber is releasing in 2026, so there's that

daedalius

Maybe your Achievement clips are stored on the cloud to avoid clogging up your hard drive?

I think Quake Live is actually getting an update soon that'll move it to a standard application format rather than being browser-based.

also livechamber is releasing in 2026, so there's that

Yea I know Quake is going to come f2p to Steam sometime soon. Will probably get it then for sure, well I guess depending on what else is going on.

UnrealChampionshipXBOXNTSC-UCoverAr.jpg

RIP Halo. I've always wanted Halo to continue down this path while keeping its own identity. Crazy weapons, fast methodical gameplay, sci fi, not military focused, doesn't take itself too seriously by trying hard to justify things or make sense, and stops gimping the players. I hate that Bungie held the player back from high intensity gameplay, faster movement in general, faster objectives.. slow slow slow slowwwww

Damn.. We need a new Unreal Tournament/Championship and
Turok.

So Halo reveal on VGX?

MS needs to show Halo since Sony will likely have Uncharted and The Order there. They probably need to show something else new as well. After launch we don't really know of anything coming from MS in 2014 other than Titanfall, Kinect Sports, and Halo. And we haven't even seen Halo yet.

MS needs to show Halo since Sony will likely have Uncharted and The Order there. They probably need to show something else new as well. After launch we don't really know of anything coming from MS in 2014 other than Titanfall, Kinect Sports, and Halo. And we haven't even seen Halo yet.

Isn't sunset and quantum out next year? Unless they announced them in advanced,MS usually announces and releases the following year.

Yep, exactly why I might flip mine. Looking down the line to Fall 2014 Sony looks strong. Other than Titanfall which I can play on PC there is just Halo. Especially since Destiny seems to be getting special attention on the PS4. I need to see Halo. If there is a gears in the works it might be a nice time to hear about that. Micorosft better smarten up. Enough of the money hatting CoD and BF maps. I want to see first party.

Yep, exactly why I might flip mine. Looking down the line to Fall 2014 Sony looks strong. Other than Titanfall which I can play on PC there is just Halo. Especially since Destiny seems to be getting special attention on the PS4. I need to see Halo. If there is a gears in the works it might be a nice time to hear about that. Micorosft better smarten up. Enough of the money hatting CoD and BF maps. I want to see first party.

First party is stronger than ever for MS. Besides Halo and TitanFall there is Sunset Overdrive,Project Spark and Quantum break. They don't have dates but neither does the Order. The black tusk game is coming which is a new studio opened up by MS. Phil also hinted at more older ips to return. I see Rare making an older ip after kinect sports and i saw PGR and Crackdown 3 hints.

daedalius

Watching what I missed of the GB PS4 stream yesterday, and Jeff is playing Ghosts on PS4... holy shit that game looks like hot trash in multiplayer.

Textures are straight out of CS1.6, lighting looks flat as hell; who cares if its pushing 1080p, ugh. Maybe there is just some sort of weird/awful texture pop-in, and that's why they look so terribad.

First party is stronger than ever for MS. Besides Halo and TitanFall there is Sunset Overdrive,Project Spark and Quantum break. They don't have dates but neither does the Order. The black tusk game is coming which is a new studio opened up by MS. Phil also hinted at mroe older ips to return. I see Rare making an older ip after kinect sports and i saw PGR and Crackdown 3 hints.

They also have new studios in Victoria, Osaka, and possibly Redmond too. We just need to see what they're up to.

MS is always the hardest to figure out as far as lineups go because they have so many random partnerships like Double Helix for KI.

zap

Watching what I missed of the GB PS4 stream yesterday, and Jeff is playing Ghosts on PS4... holy shit that game looks like hot trash in multiplayer.

Textures are straight out of CS1.6, lighting looks flat as hell; who cares if its pushing 1080p, ugh. Maybe there is just some sort of weird/awful texture pop-in, and that's why they look so terribad.

Apparently while the game installs the textures are low-res. Once the game is fully installed it uses the high res textures.

Fracas

#fuckonami

Yeah Ghosts is not much of a technical showpiece. I have Knack, BF4 and Killzone and they all look insanely good. Knack is the closest games have ever gotten to that Pixar film look.

daedalius

Apparently while the game installs the textures are low-res. Once the game is fully installed it uses the high res textures.

Well, Jeff said he fully installed it the day before. So I have no idea.

Yeah Ghosts is not much of a technical showpiece. I have Knack, BF4 and Killzone and they all look insanely good. Knack is the closest games have ever gotten to that Pixar film look.

BF4 looks incredible comparatively, and yea Killzone looks pretty great. Knack definitely reminds me of a Pixar film.

Unfortunately I'll bet Ghosts will sell more than all of them, lol.

Either way, it's always blown my mind that CoD's managed to get away with such a "mixed media" approach to its graphics. Bungie re-used assets but they generally weren't too obvious about it; I mean hell, the most obvious one I can think of minus the distant cruisers / ships / etc is some weird, triangular piece of machinery from Blackout that they slightly reskinned and reused in Countdown on Reach.

I get that they're aiming for a steady framerate and all that, but there's got to be a better way to handle the graphics. I really wish more premiere shooters weren't afraid to adopt more unique stylings. Just imagine if Battlefield upped the "cinematic blue / orange concept art" approach beyond the HUD. I have no idea how that'd work, mind you, but it'd be neat to see.

ElRenoRaven

Did the patch put DLC maps in matchmaking? Its been a while since I played in the boneyard map

Sad to hear that man.

Now I am scared, hope I can get the second batch.

Yea. Ultimately while I was very angry I finally calmed down. I tend to act irrationally when angry so I took most of last night to relax and think. Finally I decided to deal with Sony and after over 2 hours of bullshit finally got through on chat. Ended up getting a coffin sent. I'm without a doubt going to buy the extended warranty though after this. I don't want a repeat of last gen with 3 broken xbox 360's and 2 broken PS3s. I treat them well and breaking consoles just really make me wanna give up.

I have been playing PS4 like crazy. System wise I am surprised how close to the PS3 OS this is. Dont get me wrong its a major step up but there are still some manual things (installs after downloads) that take away from it for me. It doesnt detract from it but I think the 360 is better in some areas.

You can message a friend from the main dash now mid game. Because of this resume feature you need to shut down you app(game) manually or it runs in the background. It will prompt to do it for you if you fire up another game.

The PSN store is worlds better as are Playstation apps for iphone and android.

The controller is fantastic. Easily on par with the 360. I am older than a lot of you guys so I have used every Playstation controller. This is easily the best one.

Netflix is great, runs much better on PS4.

Killzone looks great. It's worth it for that alone but honestly, If you love Halo you probably won't like Killzone. As far as player movement it is the anit Halo. It is VERY slow and heavy. I like the MP, I am not in love with it.

AC4 looks great, I am only just started it.

I have an Xbox One on pre order and I am thinking about flipping it now. That said 343 really has an opportunity here. Halo plays much different (or should) than anything else out there. It's the last of the arena shooters so either way I will probably be there when they launch the next Halo.

HAHA. Glad ot hear you're enjoying it. Says a lot about the experience they've created to make you think about doing that.

Yup. I watched a buddy stream Knack and it's a beautiful looking game. Looks fun as hell too. Actually made him glad he gave it a chance instead of taking it back.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Killzone looks great. It's worth it for that alone but honestly, If you love Halo you probably won't like Killzone. As far as player movement it is the anit Halo. It is VERY slow and heavy. I like the MP, I am not in love with it.
Yeah, I'm trying to like Killzone, but there's so much I hate about it. I'm gonna sell my copy in a week or two if it doesn't click for me.

Listening to the soundtrack again, while the story / gameplay / so on and so forth is iffy, the atmosphere in Composer and Midnight is pretty crazy awesome. Looking "face-to-face" with the Didact's ship as he busted the glass protecting you and following it up by composing all the scientists was pretty ridiculous (in a good way), even for a Halo title. I know I should have, but I didn't really see it coming. Plus, all the detail in the removed layers of flesh / muscle / bone was pretty surprising, considering Halo doesn't do too much to push its M rating in-game other than the occasional swearing and Flood.

nillapuddin

BF4 will be my main til Titanfall, which I will then alternate between until Halo

Played a ton of BF4 this weekend at Area One tour in SF, looks fantastic, and the gameplay is the best BF has been. Audio especially is ridiculous.

Naturally they had some huge ass tv's playing the E3 trailer for Halo, chills irrtime

Controller = GOAT
Kinect Sports Rivals = so good

come at me in wave racing, won the mini-tournament there 3 nights in a row
I have.. all the tshirts & gift cards

composing all the scientists was pretty ridiculous (in a good way), even for a Halo title. I know I should have, but I didn't really see it coming. Plus, all the detail in the removed layers of flesh / muscle / bone was pretty surprising, considering Halo doesn't do too much to push its M rating in-game other than the occasional swearing and Flood.
It's arguably the best thing about the campaign, an actual surprising moment that looks great.

I really hope they capitalize on the whole "depressing" angle Halo 4 started building up near the finale without making it too angst-y. I even remember some of the pre-game soundtrack impressions had some of halogaf saying the tracks were getting insanely somber even for Halo tracks.

Giving Chief some time to brood off in space
and go on a vision quest to find Space Phoenix Mendicant Bias, who does peyote with Chief and teaches him how to become a shaman master
could be pretty neat if done right.

TheOddOne

I really hope they capitalize on the whole "depressing" angle Halo 4 started building up near the finale without making it too angst-y. I even remember some of the pre-game soundtrack impressions had some of halogaf saying the tracks were getting insanely somber even for Halo tracks.

Giving Chief some time to brood off in space
and go on a vision quest to find Space Phoenix Mendicant Bias, who does peyote with Chief and teaches him how to become a shaman master
could be pretty neat if done right.
tumblr_m8nz9quHwj1r271i6.gif

The only 'depressing' angle Halo 4 started building was expectations of low population numbers.

hurr durr, saw that one coming. Given we're sort of in the Fool's Golden Age of Hideo Gaming, I don't see it happening, but a level or two where Chief's abandoned on the Greater Ark (or anywhere, dammit) and all there is to do is take potshots at stray ambient sentinels / space whales / engineers, get some equipment and prepare to find a comm relay and in the meantime we're treated to a little exposition where Chief's down and still depressed about Cortana would be pretty fascinating.

Hell, it'd sort of be taking a Halo of War route, but what if he's so isolated from the UNSC at this point that he briefly rallies with the Covenant Remnant to get Halsey back in a desperate attempt to see if Cortana can be brought back, but she can't? And then they use whatever Remnant tech they jack to find out the Didact's alive and has been warped to some desolate corner of the galaxy where he's attempting to reconsolidate a fleet or tap into some hidden Precursor tech - and rather than get the UNSC for a showdown, it's just him and Halsey on a beeline towards the Didact to try and get revenge?

Now, that being said, I fully expect Halo 5 to have dumber aspirations and have something to the effect of Didact invading Earth directly and Promethean vehicles being introduced as alt-modes for the units themselves, featuring hammy Crawler-into-motorbike transformations and what have you.

daedalius

Just got destroyed by a Microsoft store employee at KI, apparently not having an update didn't allow me to see forza, and they aren't allowed to show the dashboard.

Controller feels nice, I don't get the complaints about the bumpers, they feel great to me.

KI looked super sharp and was very fast, would have been more fun if I knew wtf I was doing.

hurr durr, saw that one coming. Given we're sort of in the Fool's Golden Age of Hideo Gaming, I don't see it happening, but a level or two where Chief's abandoned on the Greater Ark (or anywhere, dammit) and all there is to do is take potshots at stray ambient sentinels / space whales / engineers, get some equipment and prepare to find a comm relay and in the meantime we're treated to a little exposition where Chief's down and still depressed about Cortana would be pretty fascinating.

Hell, it'd sort of be taking a Halo of War route, but what if he's so isolated from the UNSC at this point that he briefly rallies with the Covenant Remnant to get Halsey back in a desperate attempt to see if Cortana can be brought back, but she can't? And then they use whatever Remnant tech they jack to find out the Didact's alive and has been warped to some desolate corner of the galaxy where he's attempting to reconsolidate a fleet or tap into some hidden Precursor tech - and rather than get the UNSC for a showdown, it's just him and Halsey on a beeline towards the Didact to try and get revenge?

Now, that being said, I fully expect Halo 5 to have dumber aspirations and have something to the effect of Didact invading Earth directly and Promethean vehicles being introduced as alt-modes for the units themselves, featuring hammy Crawler-into-motorbike transformations and what have you.

Don't you have an illustration to go with this?

Actually, hear me out here. What if Spartan Ops receives some modifications to become a more fully-fledged, Halo 4-esque campaign that follows the events of Palmer and Thorne (perhaps as alternating missions, as was the case with Halo 2) back on Earth, while the main Halo 5 campaign hearkens back to a Combat Evolved sense of atmosphere and isolation? Regardless of which you do first, the game could have a cold open that ties up some stray plot holes (from Halo 4's Spartan Ops) and lay out some of the basic happenings of Chief and the remainder of the UNSC, and from there you could pick which story you wanted to start, jump into multiplayer, etc.

With Requiem destroyed, it's hard to say where exactly Spartan Ops would take place - but as a sort of intermission before things get going again, you could always have Palmer and Thorne recouping for a bit and even going off to fight Insurrectionists (which would give 343's attempted CoD draw-in a bit more credence, giving dudebros human enemies) and stray Remnant patrols out in space. Likewise, there could be some Earth missions to spice things up. They'd keep their access to the Infinity so slipspace travel isn't a large issue, nor are simulating combat environments for the hell of it while they wait around for a real enemy to fight.

On the flipside, given that Chief was given the highest possible Navy ranking in existence (presumed in-post) back during Halo 3, he could use his elevated status to round up some gear and maybe even a spare fireteam or two - and then promptly resign from the UNSC, making his way to the destroyed remains of the Ark. Once there (through whatever transition or space magic you want to make it possible with), there could be an ambient interlude where Chief's bonus fireteams begin establishing a home base to form some semblance of a hub world while Chief goes out and explores. At some point along the line in his exploration or in his distant fireteams' preparations, he makes an unlikely encounter - (Primordium spoilers)
the IsoDidact, Bornstellar's alternative incarnation in benevolent, didactic form. After having taken to extragalactic exile with select few other surviving Forerunners following the activation of the Halo Array and Mendicant Bias' entombment in the sands of the Ark, his company has made a brief return to survey the damage done to the megastructure.

Rather than make it into some big combat-heavy thing as was the case with the Ur-Didact (Halo 4's insane version), there's either some exploration / exposition or a cutscene or two where everyone catches up and Chief gets a little bit of clarification on what the fuck the Librarian tried explaining to him during a three-minute-long acid trip that he didn't exactly follow.

From there, Chief could have potentially rallied up some of the strongest (sane and benevolent, mind you) players still alive in the galaxy and be in a unique position to wipe out the Covenant Remnant and retrieve Halsey, round up the Arbiter and his gang to put them in a position of power once more (and one of military prowess, not political as is currently the case out of the games), and still have a variety of decisions to make and alliances to form.

It'd also be a pretty interesting commentary if they took that route and Chief took that route and the UNSC pretty much viewed him as the villain of all things thanks to his Promethean alignment / genesong bullshit, Elite alliance, etc.

It'd also make for a great situation where resident Sarah "POSH DA BOTTON CWIMSON" Palmer would be enemy number one for Chief, save for maybe the Ur-Didact. She did pretty much shoot Chief's mom in the arm, after all.

Hydranockz said:
Don't you have an illustration to go with this?

I'll work on a megapost to very definitely post here with some accompanying visuals. Said visuals will mostly be diagrams of jackal mating procedures and prometheans frotting.

gAg CruSh3r

Just got destroyed by a Microsoft store employee at KI, apparently not having an update didn't allow me to see forza, and they aren't allowed to show the dashboard.

Controller feels nice, I don't get the complaints about the bumpers, they feel great to me.

KI looked super sharp and was very fast, would have been more fun if I knew wtf I was doing.

I am super jelly :). I want to play KI so bad and I won't be getting a XBO for a little while.

nillapuddin

I will have to get used to using the trigger/bumper, Im so used to only using the face buttons, but it is quite fun dem particles

First party is stronger than ever for MS. Besides Halo and TitanFall there is Sunset Overdrive,Project Spark and Quantum break. They don't have dates but neither does the Order. The black tusk game is coming which is a new studio opened up by MS. Phil also hinted at more older ips to return. I see Rare making an older ip after kinect sports and i saw PGR and Crackdown 3 hints.

Yeah, I am just taking a sample from what we know about until say Sept 2014. Infamous is a big title for me. I love those games. Also, Titanfall and project spark can be played on the 360 and Titanfall on the PC. That takes makes paying $500 for the system a little bit of a bad deal imo. Until there are some release dates behind those other games it makes the purchase hard to swallow and believe me, I want to buy it.

I can't get into Ryse or Dead Rising so that is part of the problem I guess.

Booshka

PS4 has the ability to have Demon's Souls 2 as well. Which would be the most important exclusive for next-gen in my opinion. Everything else at this point I can play on PC, current gen or skip it altogether.

Fuchsdh

Listening to the soundtrack again, while the story / gameplay / so on and so forth is iffy, the atmosphere in Composer and Midnight is pretty crazy awesome. Looking "face-to-face" with the Didact's ship as he busted the glass protecting you and following it up by composing all the scientists was pretty ridiculous (in a good way), even for a Halo title. I know I should have, but I didn't really see it coming. Plus, all the detail in the removed layers of flesh / muscle / bone was pretty surprising, considering Halo doesn't do too much to push its M rating in-game other than the occasional swearing and Flood.

Yeah I think that was an example of where Halo not pushing its M rating *helped*. It wasn't insanely graphic but it did stand out from the usual blood and gore and that helped with the mood they were trying to convey. I'd definitely rank Composer as one of my favorite Halo missions--to me it really does feel like they took the first mission of Halo 2 and found a way to improve on it.

Also, someone pointed out (and I checked in the Visual guide), but the "height" of the Didact's ship when it's in its metapod mode is actually the same size as the diameter of High Charity. The Mantle's Approach is a crazy huge ship. You don't ever really get any good examples of its scale though, aside from the fact that there's actually room for the entire Midnight trench run without creating scaling issues like the Pillar of Autumn.

EDIT: Also, finally got a good 720p capture setup. Incoming Customs montage.

Mix

So, I'm watching TheRadBrad play through CoD Ghosts on the 360 right now and I don't know if it's because the game was build for next gen and down ported or what but the anti-aliasing is fucking horrible. The campaign seems to be the best one in the franchise since Modern Warfare, but goddamn were those graphics downgraded.

Yeah I think that was an example of where Halo not pushing its M rating *helped*. It wasn't insanely graphic but it did stand out from the usual blood and gore and that helped with the mood they were trying to convey. I'd definitely rank Composer as one of my favorite Halo missions--to me it really does feel like they took the first mission of Halo 2 and found a way to improve on it.

Also, someone pointed out (and I checked in the Visual guide), but the "height" of the Didact's ship when it's in its metapod mode is actually the same size as the diameter of High Charity. The Mantle's Approach is a crazy huge ship. You don't ever really get any good examples of its scale though, aside from the fact that there's actually room for the entire Midnight trench run without creating scaling issues like the Pillar of Autumn.

EDIT: Also, finally got a good 720p capture setup. Incoming Customs montage.

It is pretty damn huge compared to the Liches and even puts a dent in Requiem itself's size when it exits through the porta thing, at least.

That being said, it'd be pretty cool to see it face some other megastructure head-on (like *gasp* neo high charity?!) and totally dwarf whatever it's about to compose.

super never double edit edit: Kinda adds a layer of brilliance to the Didact's general scan shittery during Composer, too. His ship's not small, he's just a smart enough dude to do the equivalent of orbital bombardment - he's saying really far away from the research site so he doesn't get sucker-punched by some dumbass UNSC counter-strike.

Booshka

what is vgx?

VIDEO GAME XTREME

Brought to you by Mountain Dew, Doritos, and a bunch of Exclusive trailers.

Spike took the Awards out of Video Game Awards, because they realized that it's really best as an Exclusive unveiling Trailers show. Then a bunch of dorks in a meeting room decided that the letter X was a suitable replacement because it's 1996.

VIDEO GAME XTREME

Brought to you by Mountain Dew, Doritos, and a bunch of Exclusive trailers.

Spike took the Awards out of Video Game Awards, because they realized that it's really best as an Exclusive unveiling Trailers show. Then a bunch of dorks in a meeting room decided that the letter X was a suitable replacement because it's 1996.

lol i thought you were joking and went to check. But yea i think Halo will be revealed as Halo 5 with a new trailer. Maybe dat monk soundtrack too!

Top Bottom