• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

GrizzNKev

Banned
Holy hell, that's like note-for-note. Want another weird one?

Halo 4's Mantis is ripping off Metroid Prime Hunters' opening cinematic track, which in turn is ripping off the Halo 2 grav lift sound effect.

Maybe both being 1st party Microsoft titles they didn't mind them doing the riff as a shout-out (Glacius is an alien, after all).

Oh boy.

My sound design professor composed the Hunters soundtrack. I'm sure he'd love to hear this... accusation.

CyReN

fuufnbg.png

If you didn't see it, good god.

Oh boy.

My sound design professor composed the Hunters soundtrack. I'm sure he'd love to hear this... accusation.

Hook me up with him, dude. I loved that soundtrack.

The grav lift effect was also probably intentional, though, considering the "wuauaa-ba-daauaaa" sound is only heard once in the entire game, and it's when the Master Chief expy is boosting in his space bike.

Weavel_mph_Artwork_2.png

Green armor, black undersuit and plasma scythe? Yeah, just a little bit.

It's kinda funny, though, with all of his curvy "organic" armor compared to the Chief's it actually looks like a lot of the "squishy" Halo 4 armor pieces that got introduced. You could probably make a Weavel-esque suit now.

343, I seriously hope you guys are taking notice of Killer Instinct's reception thanks to the wealth of data Double Helix has provided to the players. This game is setting standards for all fighting games going forward.

Shit, even games in general. I'd love to see hitbox data and other advanced tech tutorials in Halo, for example. We've been asking for these kinds of details for years now and to see another developer getting such recognition for it is quite disappointing, only in the sense that Halo should've had this for a long time already.

To put it bluntly, I feel like Bungie didn't give a crap about the competitive Halo players and providing players with the tools to break open the deeper mechanics. There are so many things Halo players are unaware of because it's not part of the game package.

Give us the information. Give us the tools. We can give Halo the legs it deserves if you just allow it. Stop the cycle of resistance and accept us! Embrace the love!

343, I seriously hope you guys are taking notice of Killer Instinct's reception thanks to the wealth of data Double Helix has provided to the players. This game is setting standards for all fighting games going forward.

Shit, even games in general. I'd love to see hitbox data and other advanced tech tutorials in Halo, for example. We've been asking for these kinds of details for years now and to see another developer getting such recognition for it is quite disappointing, only in the sense that Halo should've had this for a long time already.

To put it bluntly, I feel like Bungie didn't give a crap about the competitive Halo players and providing players with the tools to break open the deeper mechanics. There are so many things Halo players are unaware of because it's not part of the game package.

Give us the information. Give us the tools. We can give Halo the legs it deserves if you just allow it. Stop the cycle of resistance and accept us! Embrace the love!

I haven't played a fighting game very much since Soulcalibur II, but the way MS/Double Helix has handled everything with KI has me really interested. It seems pretty competitive yet not too complex so I might finally get back into fighting games because of it.

Fuchsdh

I was watching some streams when my tv died, good lord most of them have ads like it was a infomercial program instead of playing the game and one of them was selling shirts and custom soundtracks for your streams.

I kind of see her point, though, in that for a lot of people it is some sort of attention-seeking behavior and I generally don't enjoy watching other people play games compared to playing them myself. But not getting the point of streams at all seems a bit odd. There's plenty of amusing, informative or engaging streams out there.

Yeah, but why spend the effort when non-professionals have never improved a released game?

"You can make your own maps and custom gametypes and they can get put in matchmaking, but god forbid you change the rate of fire on anything." -Bungie/343i

I haven't played a fighting game very much since Soulcalibur II, but the way MS/Double Helix has handled everything with KI has me really interested. It seems pretty competitive yet not too complex so I might finally get back into fighting games because of it.

Combat Evolved 2: Accessible, simple, clean, a title that plays on that nostalgia (as we've seen, this kind of marketing goes a LONG way), tons of depth and customization.

343 needs to tap into what made Halo so great in the first place. Show players a Pistol vs BR in the first clip. Show us the Mk. V returning. Show us Camo as a Power-up. Bring the fiyaaa!

Yeah, but why spend the effort when non-professionals have never improved a released game?

"You can make your own maps and custom gametypes and they can get put in matchmaking, but god forbid you change the rate of fire on anything." -Bungie/343i

something something vocal minority something something

Translate:
We don't want to spend the resources to give you that and/or we don't care about your requests. We're making the game we want to make and if you don't like it, play something else.

Fans:
THAT'S RIGHT! Bungie is GOD!

Reality:
Now that 343 isn't Bungie, people aren't putting up with this crap. Truth be told, 343 is more capable of bringing us a better Halo than Bungie ever was IMO, especially in a time where fans are ready to dismiss Halo.
The hope remains.

It would be awesome to see Halo go a route with some of the tech in Project Spark. Then allow PC and console to edit and share together. Imagine visual editing with all the Halo knobs and settings.

Combat Evolved 2: Accessible, simple, clean, a title that plays on that nostalgia (as we've seen, this kind of marketing goes a LONG way), tons of depth and customization.

343 needs to tap into what made Halo so great in the first place. Show players a Pistol vs BR in the first clip. Show us the Mk. V returning. Show us Camo as a Power-up. Bring the fiyaaa!

something something vocal minority something something

Translate:
We don't want to spend the resources to give you that and/or we don't care about your requests. We're making the game we want to make and if you don't like it, play something else.

Fans:
THAT'S RIGHT! Bungie is GOD!

Reality:
Now that 343 isn't Bungie, people aren't putting up with this crap. Truth be told, 343 is more capable of bringing us a better Halo than Bungie ever was IMO, especially in a time where fans are ready to dismiss Halo.
The hope remains.

Combat evolved 2 is Halo 2 ; )

belushy

Banned
Awesome Broadcaster Mode IW is putting in a few weeks after launch

Yeah Goldenboy made a video about it last night. I wonder if it will get released for Xbox in time for the event.

edit: Also sucks that nobody really gives a crap about competitive COD on the PC version. Would be neat if there was a video showing all the features out there.

edit2: I stand corrected. Here is a video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDKVeYjUvRE Its in German though. I like how the map is somewhat transparent.

Fuchsdh

On next-gen hopes, someone's streaming DR3 right now: http://www.twitch.tv/gcacho

Sure, the zombies are probably cheap from an AI standpoint, but it's still pretty impressive to see that many NPCs milling about.

Here's to hoping we get some parts of the next Halo's campaign that beat the promise of scale Reach gave us :)

JDHarbs

Anybody know of any cool fan-made redesigns of the Warthog? I'm modeling one for a class, but the professor asked us to add our own features into it.

If not, what are some parts of the Warthog that you always felt could be improved?

Fuchsdh

Anybody know of any cool fan-made redesigns of the Warthog? I'm modeling one for a class, but the professor asked us to add our own features into it.

If not, what are some parts of the Warthog that you always felt could be improved?

Figure out a way for the gunner to not be thrown out the back at high speeds.

The Warthog is perfect as she is.

It needs more hook-tusks, more lights, more water canisters, and it needs hydraulics.

Karl2177

Can the art design in future games go from deep colors to the more white washed out look of CE and Halo 2? I mean compare Heretic and Midship, and I'd rather have the pastel-like purple-y pink Midship color than the deep purple of Heretic.

Midship.jpg
Heretic.jpg

Can the art design in future games go from deep colors to the more white washed out look of CE and Halo 2? I mean compare Heretic and Midship, and I'd rather have the pastel-like purple-y pink Midship color than the deep purple of Heretic.

dat purple.jpg

I don't know if I want the art style as a whole to be like that, but another map with pearlescent cool colors as a new Covenant aesthetic would be nice.

You know, I doubt they'll do it for gameplay / identification purposes, but I'd love for them to drop the typical color palette we currently have on the Spartans in favor of a paint style closer to GTAV's vehicles. Players could start out with matte or a general metallic and then slowly unlock pearlescent items and additional colors, with the "original" colors available in matte and a mild gloss. You could alternate mattes and glosses per primary, secondary and armor detail, too, so you could probably make an Xbox One Spartan with primary black matte / secondary black gloss / detail red bright green.

That's a way to keep in progression-based unlocks while still not locking away legacy features, right?

You have to admit a Spartan decked out in glossy white and metallic candy red and a black visor would be some cool shit.

Fuchsdh

You know, I doubt they'll do it for gameplay / identification purposes, but I'd love for them to drop the typical color palette we currently have on the Spartans in favor of a paint style closer to GTAV's vehicles. Players could start out with matte or a general metallic and then slowly unlock pearlescent items and additional colors, with the "original" colors available in matte and a mild gloss. You could alternate mattes and glosses per primary, secondary and armor detail, too, so you could probably make an Xbox One Spartan with primary black matte / secondary black gloss / detail red bright green.

That's a way to keep in progression-based unlocks while still not locking away legacy features, right?

You have to admit a Spartan decked out in glossy white and metallic candy red and a black visor would be some cool shit.

Insofar as unlocking different armor stuff, having actual "finishes" to the armor would be interesting. At the very least, having another color as a highlight option (like the green accent on the Halo 3 Banshee) could look pretty cool.

I vastly prefer the pearlescent look of CE's armor over everything we've seen since though. Everything went from shiny and cool in CE to matte and ugly IMO for Halo 2.

Insofar as unlocking different armor stuff, having actual "finishes" to the armor would be interesting. At the very least, having another color as a highlight option (like the green accent on the Halo 3 Banshee) could look pretty cool.

I vastly prefer the pearlescent look of CE's armor over everything we've seen since though. Everything went from shiny and cool in CE to matte and ugly IMO for Halo 2.

I was going to make this post but who wanted to read it from me.. I love you, man.

But seriously, it felt like everything died and the maps felt ancient. CE felt alive.

Fuchsdh

I was going to make this post but who wanted to read it from me.. I love you, man.

But seriously, it felt like everything died and the maps felt ancient. CE felt alive.

I knew there was a reason I liked you.

Yeah the "shiny" factor of CE is the thing that's made it hold up really well, and something later games failed to replicate in some ways (the closest anyone's actually come IMO is Certain Affinity with their glossy Forerunner look on the interior of High Noon.) The Chief didn't really feel like he was metal, he felt like he was coated in something space-agey and otherworldly. There certainly weren't real reflections on his armor and visor but there *felt* like there were. They designed around the limitations of the hardware and created a grounded yet clean, sleek aesthetic that still felt different for each faction. If you'd asked my 13-year old self if I'd find a bunch of aliens decked in pink and purple to be threatening, I'd have laughed. But Bungie sold it--and all the thousands of pixels since have often failed to recapture that.

Top Bottom