• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

18k at the peaks, 15k at the valleys

muppet-show.jpg

"You know what Master Chief and Littlefoot have in common?"

"What's that?"

"With sequels like these, every adventure's in a valley!"

"Dohohohohoho!"

Good god, are they still making Land Before Time movies?

Nope, the franchise got a well-deserved albeit dishonorable death in 2007 when Universal Animation Studios closed up. The last one was The Wisdom of Friends, also known as Final Fantasy XIII: Jurassic Park Edition.

I actually have the first 10 and liked them as a kid - no idea what I'd think of them now.
I lost interest after they went to DVD because I'm too cool for mainstream physical video formats.

Can Mods take CEA Campaign/MP assets (Weapons, Vehicles, MC character skins) and place them into the Anniversary Maps while running on CE gameplay on PC?

Can Mods take CEA Campaign/MP assets (Weapons, Vehicles, MC character skins) and place them into the Anniversary Maps while running on CE gameplay on PC?

I don't exactly understand what you want. Apply assets from CEA to CE PC? Yea sure you can do that. But It will take a long time. Not worth it.

FyreWulff

It's technically feasible, but i'd guess it'd a lot of ramrodding of the engine and what not.

*Summons FyreWulff*

Fuck that, let Tupolev or Computron answer that

I think you'd be missing effects the original engine doesn't understand how to do or can't be made to do? Would require a lot of manual conversion and re-working. Don't know how much Open Sauce would help. can't honestly remember all the stuff they did with the new-mode CEA stuff

Some of my buddies are going to all the pawnshops where they're going to college and buying all the 360s for $50 or so, then going to best buy and cashing in for $100. Free $50 each time.

Fuck it's such a tempting manipulation of the system. I really shouldn't, but...damn.

Omni

I saw a great offer for trading in 360s where I live today. Trade in any 360 console and purchase GTAV for only $48!!!

such value

Dem feels when you get rejected from a retail job over the Christmas holidays becuase you don't have enough experience. There goes mah Xbox One hopes for Christmas, :lol :lol. Guess I'll take up a policing unit at university to keep me occupied.

Are you kidding? Compared to the other offers out there?

I just mean a scam in general. You don't think you'll ever want to play a 360 game ever again? Unless the console is an original model, or just 5+ years old, I don't see the point in getting rid of it.

Idk maybe it's just me, but I hate getting rid of consoles/games.

I saw a great offer for trading in 360s where I live today. Trade in any 360 console and purchase GTAV for only $48!!!

such value

Dem feels when you get rejected from a retail job over the Christmas holidays becuase you don't have enough experience. There goes mah Xbox One hopes for Christmas, :lol :lol. Guess I'll take up a policing unit at university to keep me occupied.

What the fuck? When I traded in GTA V to Gamestop I was GIVEN $42.

Why wouldn't it? Someone took assets from Halo 3 and placed them to CE and that didn't seem worth it either, imo, but still interesting.

Wut

Yeah I traded in GTA V like... 3 weeks ago. Got $42 or so. Let me check the receipt.

EDIT: My receipt from Gamestop:

Grand Theft Auto V (2 discs) - $42.00
XB 360 System (S) 4GB (Used) - $52.00

Hahaha holy shit I didn't even bother to see that. Wow GTA V is worth almost more than the system itself.

Omni

So Forza, Ryse, Powershot Golf and Crimson Dragon have micro-transactions (plus who knows what else...). Egh. Can't wait to read about the Halo [5] microtransactions where I can pay $2 to spawn with a rocket launcher for a few matches.

Spartan Assault was just the beginning.

heckfu

Banned
So Forza, Ryse, Powershot Golf and Crimson Dragon have micro-transactions (plus who knows what else...). Egh. Can't wait to read about the Halo [5] microtransactions where I can pay $2 to spawn with a rocket launcher for a few matches.

Spartan Assault was just the beginning.

As long as the micro-transactions have nothing to do with gameplay (see: GoW: Judgment skins) then by all means, continue with the model.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
As long as the micro-transactions have nothing to do with gameplay (see: GoW: Judgment skins) then by all means, continue with the model.

Games should just copy DotA at this point.

What if you could get different announcers for Halo? Chief, Cortana...FRANKIE?! Would be incredible.

What if you could get different announcers for Halo? Chief, Cortana...FRANKIE?! Would be incredible.

Agreed, just like ODST but for multi not coop. How about your own voice recordings through Kinect? I can just imagine what mates would record over Jeff S.

heckfu

Banned

Have the proceeds go to more tournaments like the Halo 4 GC to front the prize money. The near-complete circular flow of money in DotA is certainly a sight to behold and a wise way to gain traction to eliminate the middle man (MLG, AGL rip, etc) OR entice them to pick the game back up on the circuit and have 343 front the prize money from the micro transactions. Great way to get more exposure with minimal loss on each side.

Fuchsdh

Eh, I don't think we want to create a crazy marketplace that's asking to be gamed. In other words--no player-created content for sale.

Karl2177

Agreed, just like ODST but for multi not coop. How about your own voice recordings through Kinect? I can just imagine what mates would record over Jeff S.

Headline: Games Are Becoming More Vulgar

Tina Dunsbury, mother of 3, purchased a used Xbox One console and a copy of Halo 5 from GameStop. When her youngest son, David, aged 8, started playing the multiplayer portion of the game, it loudly proclaimed actions that David did in game. What appeared to be a headshot announced "go suck some herpes" instead of the expected "headshot" announcer. "I was appalled when I heard obscenities coming from David's room." Tina said. "You don't expect to hear anything like that from a game I paid a large amount of money for."
After more exposure to the game, we heard the following vulgar phrases and expressions:

"Good job faggot"
"Bitch"
"GSO"
"Fuck you, you cunt ass bitch fuck"

GameStop denied any accusations of tampering with the game. Developer 343 Industries claims that the purchased Xbox may have utilized the Change Multiplayer Voice feature. Previous Xbox owner, pseudo named 420Blaaaaze could not be found for comment.

Enfinit

Headline: Games Are Becoming More Vulgar

Tina Dunsbury, mother of 3, purchased a used Xbox One console and a copy of Halo 5 from GameStop. When her youngest son, David, aged 8, started playing the multiplayer portion of the game, it loudly proclaimed actions that David did in game. What appeared to be a headshot announced "go suck some herpes" instead of the expected "headshot" announcer. "I was appalled when I heard obscenities coming from David's room." Tina said. "You don't expect to hear anything like that from a game I paid a large amount of money for."
After more exposure to the game, we heard the following vulgar phrases and expressions:

"Good job faggot"
"Bitch"
"GSO"
"Fuck you, you cunt ass bitch fuck"

GameStop denied any accusations of tampering with the game. Developer 343 Industries claims that the purchased Xbox may have utilized the Change Multiplayer Voice feature. Previous Xbox owner, pseudo named 420Blaaaaze could not be found for comment.

GOT EMMMMMMMMM

Booties

Banned

It's funny to see how they change. Halo 1 and 2 show so much action. Halo 3 is just one scene and you don't even know what's going on besides the obvious. I think that may be the best of all of them. Looking at Reach's gameplay, seeing that HUD again for the first time in a while, really brings back a lot of memories. I wish I knew then how awful armor lock would be, but that clean HUD is so fucking nice. Reach really was a great looking game. Too bad it had too many gimmicks.

Fuchsdh

It's funny to see how they change. Halo 1 and 2 show so much action. Halo 3 is just one scene and you don't even know what's going on besides the obvious. I think that may be the best of all of them. Looking at Reach's gameplay, seeing that HUD again for the first time in a while, really brings back a lot of memories. I wish I knew then how awful armor lock would be, but that clean HUD is so fucking nice. Reach really was a great looking game. Too bad it had too many gimmicks.
Only thing I really miss from the Reach HUD was the more subtle altitude indicators on the motion tracker and the typeface.

The Halo series should go back to Din. It's far more legible than the HUD face in 4 which is way too thin in its small usage; more subjectively I think it's a little softer and easier on the eyes in menus.

yes my desire for visual consistency extends to typefaces.

Booties

Banned
Only thing I really miss from the Reach HUD was the more subtle altitude indicators on the motion tracker and the typeface.

The Halo series should go back to Din. It's far more legible than the HUD face in 4 which is way too thin in its small usage; more subjectively I think it's a little softer and easier on the eyes in menus.

yes my desire for visual consistency extends to typefaces.

The whole look of the hud is better than 4. The active and inactive weapons/grenades is sharp, the radar is cleaner and the medals are less obtrusive. The game also benefits from all the environments not being blue and highly reflective. That hurts the HUD in 4 a lot.

The whole look of the hud is better than 4. The active and inactive weapons/grenades is sharp, the radar is cleaner and the medals are less obtrusive. The game also benefits from all the environments not being blue and highly reflective. That hurts the HUD in 4 a lot.

No. Not sure if you're referring to the campaign but there is nothing good about the multiplayer environments in Reach. That game was more "modern military shooter/CoD" in its art style than any other Halo game.

Get that mud and grit out of Halo.

EDIT:
One thing I really miss from Halo's 1-3 HUD's was the absence of altitude indicators on the motion tracker :)

CE didn't have red X's ;]

I dunno, I honestly am looking forward to Halo 5. Certainly not as much as I looked forward to Halo 4, it's narrative and bizarre choices killed some of the hype, but I still like the franchise a lot. Hopefully the SP and MP learns and delivers.

I don't know if I want the art style as a whole to be like that, but another map with pearlescent cool colors as a new Covenant aesthetic would be nice.

I miss the pearlescent effect, hopefully it makes a glorious next gen comeback.

I still can't fucking believe Halo 4 had zero Covenant environments.

Probably either a MS exclusive or something like Mass Effect which has brand association with Xbox.

I'd guess either Halo 5, Quantum Break, or Mass Effect 4.

I really don't see Halo being at VGX. I'd love to be wrong, but I still think that it's too early. There's been rumors for a couple weeks that we'd see something Halo-related around this time, however, but the skeptic in me says no.

Fuchsdh

One thing I really miss from Halo's 1-3 HUD's was the absence of altitude indicators on the motion tracker :)

I can see the arguments for going back, but if you don’t like the height indicators you should like Halo 4’s style—the little carets above the circles are so hard for me to pick out that sometimes they’re worse than nothing as I try and figure out what they’re telling me :) I know people said the Reach ones were hard to read, but I thought they were cleaner and a lot more subtle.

I do hope we go back to solid large circles for vehicles and remove the neutral vehicles altogether (they’re not moving!) There’s that great “oh damn” moment when you see something barreling down on you and don’t know what it might be.

I really don't see Halo being at VGX. I'd love to be wrong, but I still think that it's too early. There's been rumors for a couple weeks that we'd see something Halo-related around this time, however, but the skeptic in me says no.

Well considering that Halo comes out in a year from now I honestly wouldn't say its too soon. Yes, it would be earlier than Halo 4's reveal rollout, but Halo is a big franchise for MS and it is a great way to supplement the XB1 launch. I'm not saying it has to happen, but I do feel like it would be an intelligent and likely move assuming 343 could pull something together. I imagine they are further along with Halo 5 than they were with Halo 4 at this time.

I think it would make a ton of sense to tease something Halo, it would help push Halo fans to get an Xbox One and make the platform feel stronger and more appealing.
Indeed it does. Monk chants incoming.
how is it too early, can you elaborate?
I think an extended trailer or even a new trailer would hype halo fans and boost XB1 sales. Showing a teaser at vgx seems about the right time and choice, imo.

Top Bottom