• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

I dunno, I honestly am looking forward to Halo 5. Certainly not as much as I looked forward to Halo 4, it's narrative and bizarre choices killed some of the hype, but I still like the franchise a lot. Hopefully the SP and MP learns and delivers.

I miss the pearlescent effect, hopefully it makes a glorious next gen comeback.

I still can't fucking believe Halo 4 had zero Covenant environments.

Once we get Halo 3 Steam I want to see a mod that makes it cel-shaded and adds pearlescent / reflective effects out the ass.

Indeed it does. Monk chants incoming.

how is it too early, can you elaborate?
I think an extended trailer or even a new trailer would hype halo fans and boost XB1 sales. Showing a teaser at vgx seems about the right time and choice, imo.

Well we got a concept art trailer by now, but after that, there wasn't shit until February. And if they have the time to develop this time than Halo 4, and they have to learn programming for the Xbone, they would've had 2 1/2 years for this game and Halo 4, so it's less time to figure out the actual game itself.

Headline: Games Are Becoming More Vulgar

Tina Dunsbury, mother of 3, purchased a used Xbox One console and a copy of Halo 5 from GameStop. When her youngest son, David, aged 8, started playing the multiplayer portion of the game, it loudly proclaimed actions that David did in game. What appeared to be a headshot announced "go suck some herpes" instead of the expected "headshot" announcer. "I was appalled when I heard obscenities coming from David's room." Tina said. "You don't expect to hear anything like that from a game I paid a large amount of money for."
After more exposure to the game, we heard the following vulgar phrases and expressions:

"Good job faggot"
"Bitch"
"GSO"
"Fuck you, you cunt ass bitch fuck"

GameStop denied any accusations of tampering with the game. Developer 343 Industries claims that the purchased Xbox may have utilized the Change Multiplayer Voice feature. Previous Xbox owner, pseudo named 420Blaaaaze could not be found for comment.

Perfect and probably strangely accurate mate.

You know what? I'm really looking forward to Spartan Assault on the Xbox One. I was pretty disappointed with the touchscreen controls at E3, but it should be great with the Xbox controller.

I imagine it will be nice to get a quick round in during commercial breaks, or while waiting for party members to get online.

I wonder if it's a direct port of if we'll see any updates. I assume they'll keep the microtransaction stuff, so hopefully the game itself is cheap. I'd drop $5 without hesitation.

Havok

You know what? I'm really looking forward to Spartan Assault on the Xbox One. I was pretty disappointed with the touchscreen controls at E3, but it should be great with the Xbox controller.
As someone that played through it on PC with a 360 controller...well, maybe keep those expectations in check.

gAg CruSh3r

I imagine it will be nice to get a quick round in during commercial breaks, or while waiting for party members to get online.

I wonder if it's a direct port of if we'll see any updates. I assume they'll keep the microtransaction stuff, so hopefully the game itself is cheap. I'd drop $5 without hesitation.

I think Halo:SA will be fun to play to pass some time in between games and commercial breaks.

I hope to see a lot cheaper microtransaction like if they had different armor skin for a 1$ Or something. I think more people would get into the micro transaction that way.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
As someone that played through it on PC with a 360 controller...well, maybe keep those expectations in check.

Except now it will have Co-Op and everything is better in Co-op. I couldn't get through it on my phone so I'll probably get it for XB1.

Also, Halo 2 Anniversary or Halo Free to Play? Yes please.

Fuchsdh

I'm sort of wondering whether or not they'll use microtransactions and a cheaper base price or strip it out and charge $15 or $20 instead. I think they might not even know hence the lack of price announcement alongside the game's press release. Personally I'd rather pay more upfront.

gAg CruSh3r

Also, Halo 2 Anniversary or Halo Free to Play? Yes please.

Why not both? Halo 2 Anniversary is free to play campaign with 2 maps for MP. They will have 3/4 map packs including the DLC map packs. Have customizable armors and skins (use of Micro transactions) but same Halo 2 speed and movement with no sprint ( exactly like halo 2 Xbox live).

Havok

What did you not like? It didn't blow me away, but I felt like it was a pretty fun dual analog shooter.
It was just super boring. I like my dual joystick shooters to be fast and frenetic because it's a strength of the genre and this was just either enemies standing in one place while you mowed them down and lazily circle strafed or enemies rushing at you while you mowed them down and backed up. It never got into a strong groove because each level was maybe five or ten minutes long, so it never reached the frantic intensity that dual joystick shooters are known for.

Basically, touchscreen action games are the actual worst to design around, that handicapped their encounters, and they should have just made a controller-centric Warthog dual joystick shooter instead.

Except that already exists and it's called Renegade Ops and it's awesome.

Except now it will have Co-Op and everything is better in Co-op. I couldn't get through it on my phone so I'll probably get it for XB1.
Given how short and easy those levels already were, I can't imagine how much of a cakewalk they'd be with a second player.

Tashi

How would that even work? Pay per map?

Well Halo has a big enough universe that there's literally tons of shit that they could sell. Obviously they would sell map packs but you could sell tons of different armor variations(Helmets, visors, shoulder pads, chest pads, boots, leg pieces) and pieces, gun skins, cosmetic gun add ons, map cosmetics and on and on. Add some fiction behind each piece. OMNOMNOM.

Just copy Valve with DotA 2 and expand on that.

Why not both? Halo 2 Anniversary is free to play campaign with 2 maps for MP. They will have 3/4 map packs including the DLC map packs. Have customizable armors and skins (use of Micro transactions) but same Halo 2 speed and movement with no sprint ( exactly like halo 2 Xbox live).

I mean for potential announcements, not the actual games themselves. Also, your idea sounds like a fucking nightmare for Halo 2. Just port Halo 2 for Xbox One, add in dedicated servers at the very least.

So, whats up with the Xbox/Halo TV stuff? I feel like MS would want to remind people they have it planned, but it has been awfully quiet. Like, they haven't mentioned it at all lately when talking about the value of the Xbox One. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it never formulates or is severely downsized at this point.

I am aware they said it was in the early stages and a ways off, but I would expect a reminder that it exists.

Well Halo has a big enough universe that there's literally tons of shit that they could sell. Obviously they would sell map packs but you could sell tons of different armor variations(Helmets, visors, shoulder pads, chest pads, boots, leg pieces) and pieces, gun skins, cosmetic gun add ons, map cosmetics and on and on. Add some fiction behind each piece. OMNOMNOM.

Just copy Valve with DotA 2 and expand on that.

That would make sense, and honestly I expect as much from Halo 5.. As for the f2p model, what would the base package actually include for free? Unless of course it isn't literally free, but rather is inexpensive and builds itself upon the f2p model.

How about they skip over H2 multiplayer and give us the campaign only? Who would like that? Sounds like an idea.

Oh.. No one? No one would just like a remade campaign and a left out multiplayer on XBL dedicated servers? No one you say? FUCKING NO ONE?!

FUCKING SHIT - They should just give us the H2 campaign with the maps ported to CE multiplayer on XBL ;] Don't give me that crap about "but H2 maps wouldn't work in CE's sandbox" nonsense. Put Lockout into CE and it'll be flawless.

Thank you.
lol
:'[

EDIT:
Good enough™ and Nostalgia® all over this Blogpost™.

Can't argue with that. Love.

TheOddOne

How about they skip over H2 multiplayer and give us the campaign only? Who would like that? Sounds like an idea.

Oh.. No one? No one would just like a remade campaign and a left out multiplayer on XBL dedicated servers? No one you say? FUCKING NO ONE?!

FUCKING SHIT - They should just give us the H2 campaign with the maps ported to CE multiplayer on XBL ;] Don't give me that crap about "but H2 maps wouldn't work in CE's sandbox" nonsense. Put Lockout into CE and it'll be flawless.

Thank you.
lol
:'[
Good enough™ and Nostalgia® all over this Blogpost™.

I just played the lite version of Spartan Assault, with a controller [this new Windows 8 thing, ain't too bad with the right keyboard shortcuts].

You get a 3 minute morsel of it, and a boring easy one.
It's a small t-junction arena where you fight 3ish shortlived ways of grunts and a single wave of Elites.
There are definitely things to be impressed by, the vibe of it and the [albeit short] cutscene felt like a nice callback to the animated Evolutions chapters.

But in those 3 minutes [wtf] I didn't get the chance to see anything mechanically interesting.
Also the auto aim on the pistol is... uhh.. helpful.

I want to like it, give me a chance to :-/

Edit: I'm loading it up again to be sure I didn't accidentally miss other levels or something.
Edit2: Nope :-/

Tashi

So, whats up with the Xbox/Halo TV stuff? I feel like MS would want to remind people they have it planned, but it has been awfully quiet. Like, they haven't mentioned it at all lately when talking about the value of the Xbox One. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it never formulates or is severely downsized at this point.

I am aware they said it was in the early stages and a ways off, but I would expect a reminder that it exists.

That would make sense, and honestly I expect as much from Halo 5.. As for the f2p model, what would the base package actually include for free? Unless of course it isn't literally free, but rather is inexpensive and builds itself upon the f2p model.

Ideally(LOLOL) Halo Free to Play would include the entire multiplayer suite(all playlists, ranks and modes and features) with a base set of maps. And that's it. There would be only 1 thing to download for everyone and it would be free for everyone. Obviously there would be map packs and all that other shit I mentioned down the line.

But that's probably not going to happen.

There are definitely things to be impressed by, the vibe of it and the [albeit short] cutscene felt like a nice callback to the animated Evolutions chapters.

Evolutions was such a good read; so many good stories. It's a shame they stopped doing those animated films.

Ideally(LOLOL) Halo Free to Play would include the entire multiplayer suite(all playlists, ranks and modes and features) with a base set of maps. And that's it. There would be only 1 thing to download for everyone and it would be free for everyone. Obviously there would be map packs and all that other shit I mentioned down the line.

But that's probably not going to happen.

The more I think about it, the more I don't want Halo to be that F2P game because knowing Microsoft, we'll be nickle and dimed on everything.. further tarnishing Halo's image.

We need an unquestionably strong Halo title first.

Booshka

I for one hope that Halo becomes the flagship franchise for Microsofts inventive and groundbreaking Microtransaction model.

Players will have the freedom to play and pay to suit their gaming needs, we appeal to the core and to the casual Halo fan. We look forward to revolutionizing new revenue streams for premier Microsoft first party games. Stay tuned for exciting announcements to come.

I just played the lite version of Spartan Ops, with a controller [this new Windows 8 thing, ain't too bad with the right keyboard shortcuts].

You get a 3 minute morsel of it, and a boring easy one.
It's a small t-junction arena where you fight 3ish shortlived ways of grunts and a single wave of Elites.

But in those 3 minutes [wtf] I didn't get the chance to see anything mechanically interesting.
Also the auto aim on the pistol is... uhh.. helpful.

I want to like it, give me a chance to :-/

Edit: I'm loading it up again to be sure I didn't accidentally miss other levels or something.
Edit2: Nope :-/

After 2 edits... I gotta ask... you meant Spartan Assault, right? :p

Fuchsdh

Evolutions was such a good read; so many good stories. It's a shame they stopped doing those animated films.

Well, they did the easy ones. Human Weakness, The Impossible Life of Preston J Cole, and Dirt would be really hard to translate to an animated format.

And Palace Hotel just sucked.

That leaves Stomping on the Heels, I guess.

Well, they did the easy ones. Human Weakness, The Impossible Life of Preston J Cole, and Dirt would be really hard to translate to an animated format.

True, I'd like more films in general too. Legends was a fun watch. The weakest one was definitely Homecoming, while the others were pretty solid IMO. <3 The Duel

Fuchsdh

True, I'd like more films in general too. Legends was a fun watch. The weakest one was definitely Homecoming, while the others were pretty solid IMO. <3 The Duel

I think what killed Legends for me was the anime, really. I wouldn't say any of the stories were spectacular, but the proliferation of stupid anime tropes, really bad artistic license and repetitious "we invented a new Spartan! We killed the new Spartan!" just soured it all for me.

I'm not fussed if Halo is F2P or game purchase/season pass. I do, however, want to see maps/DLC always become free and required. Population, playlist and generally just getting to play on the maps you paid for was crap in Reach & 4 with late Halo 3 even having similar issues.

Map packs or similar should provide a 2/3 months window for paid early adopters and they get everything up front. After that period make it free and always required for the base maps/gametypes only. Additional options/charges for all the other stuff from there e.g. cosmetics like skins, armour, voices etc. Also make the later individual purchases more expense overall then just buy the all in one up front early adopter version.

I don't see that as so hard and given the Reach/4 DLC sales I think the revenue/profit would be on the money for the devs/MS still. Potentially they could also force achievements only in the all in one package price. So the free maps wouldn't allow you to get achievements but at least it helps the requirements to at least have them.

Therefore if the model goes F2P just give away the base game/maps free and then charge for in game rank display, achievements, cosmetics etc. Always allow the core game experience and even footing in the free version though.

It's back. :p Just in time, was worried it'd stay down all day. Would hate for Azure to be down today of all days.

Some DNS routes are back. I can get on the site, but live won't sign in on my xbox/tablet. Phone's having no problems though. Some people are having the opposite issue. It was (oddly enough) working just fine while everyone else was complaining it was down.

Cow

I miss the pearlescent effect, hopefully it makes a glorious next gen comeback.

I still can't fucking believe Halo 4 had zero Covenant environments.

The lack of Convenant environments in the H4 campaign was my biggest disappointment with it, alongside how repetitive the forerunner environments felt, they really went overboard with the glowing promethean theme. All I remember from the Halo 4 campaign is that giant human vehicle you stand in and and silver buildings glowing with orange. I'm more of a multiplayer guy but usually I play a Halo campaign multiple times, haven't touched Halo 4's since my first play through. Looking forwards to see what they do with Halo 5, I hope 343 has learned as much as they say.

blamite

I'm not fussed if Halo is F2P or game purchase/season pass. I do, however, want to see maps/DLC always become free and required. Population, playlist and generally just getting to play on the maps you paid for was crap in Reach & 4 with late Halo 3 even having similar issues.

Map packs or similar should provide a 2/3 months window for paid early adopters and they get everything up front. After that period make it free and always required for the base maps/gametypes only. Additional options/charges for all the other stuff from there e.g. cosmetics like skins, armour, voices etc. Also make the later individual purchases more expense overall then just buy the all in one up front early adopter version.

I don't see that as so hard and given the Reach/4 DLC sales I think the revenue/profit would be on the money for the devs/MS still. Potentially they could also force achievements only in the all in one package price. So the free maps wouldn't allow you to get achievements but at least it helps the requirements to at least have them.

Therefore if the model goes F2P just give away the base game/maps free and then charge for in game rank display, achievements, cosmetics etc. Always allow the core game experience and even footing in the free version though.

Good ideas except for these two.

Fuchsdh

The lack of Convenant environments in the H4 campaign was my biggest disappointment with it, alongside how repetitive the forerunner environments felt, they really went overboard with the glowing promethean theme. All I remember from the Halo 4 campaign is that giant human vehicle you stand in and and silver buildings glowing with orange. I'm more of a multiplayer guy but usually I play a Halo campaign multiple times, haven't touched Halo 4's since my first play through. Looking forwards to see what they do with Halo 5, I hope 343 has learned as much as they say.

I'd recommend you go back and play it. Faults aside, there's still a lot of enjoyable stuff in the campaign.

Even at their worst, I regularly go back and replay the Halo campaigns. Can't say I've done that with any other shooter series, the closest is Bioshock and there the combat usually just pisses me off too much to keep going after a while.

It was just super boring. I like my dual joystick shooters to be fast and frenetic because it's a strength of the genre and this was just either enemies standing in one place while you mowed them down and lazily circle strafed or enemies rushing at you while you mowed them down and backed up. It never got into a strong groove because each level was maybe five or ten minutes long, so it never reached the frantic intensity that dual joystick shooters are known for.
Yeah, it's not a genre I'm versed in. This definitely felt more like a top-down Halo game than Geometry Wars, but I kinda thought that was what they were shooting for. I've also never enjoyed using the Focus Rifle more—it tears shit up in this game.

Karl2177

I'd recommend you go back and play it. Faults aside, there's still a lot of enjoyable stuff in the campaign.

Even at their worst, I regularly go back and replay the Halo campaigns. Can't say I've done that with any other shooter series, the closest is Bioshock and there the combat usually just pisses me off too much to keep going after a while.

Re-experience the enjoyment of:
  • Covenant with no AI!
  • Prometheans with an inconsistent headshot!
  • Damage feedback so good you can't even see it!
  • Micro-Godzillas with shields!
  • Sarah Palmer and all of her perks!
  • Sword Elites with the Resistor perk!
  • Those little fuckers from Gears of War, but with methane tanks!
  • The Didact and his master plan to wipe out humanity!
  • Death Star trench run!
  • Sexy, Sultry Cortana!
  • Better Cortana moments than Halo 3!
  • Death rivers!
  • Tons of dialogue from the silent soldier himself!
  • An epic vista!*
  • Easter eggs where it drops a lot of weapons that aren't really worth it because they'll despawn in... aww they're already gone!
  • A lifetime supply of Ghost and Wraith waves!
  • Free gondola rides!
  • Travel through an amazing planet by teleporting!
  • Running over Grunts in a Ghost that goes faster than normal!
  • A campaign dedicated to exploring... HOLY SHIT LOOK AT THIS WAYPOINT NOW!

*Epic Vista only available for a short time. Epic Vista users should also take note of the cliff that is less than two feet away.

willow ve

Re-experience the enjoyment of:
  • Covenant with no AI!
  • Prometheans with an inconsistent headshot!
  • Damage feedback so good you can't even see it!
  • Micro-Godzillas with shields!
  • Sarah Palmer and all of her perks!
  • Sword Elites with the Resistor perk!
  • Those little fuckers from Gears of War, but with methane tanks!
  • The Didact and his master plan to wipe out humanity!
  • Death Star trench run!
  • Sexy, Sultry Cortana!
  • Better Cortana moments than Halo 3!
  • Death rivers!
  • Tons of dialogue from the silent soldier himself!
  • An epic vista!*
  • Easter eggs where it drops a lot of weapons that aren't really worth it because they'll despawn in... aww they're already gone!
  • A lifetime supply of Ghost and Wraith waves!
  • Free gondola rides!
  • Travel through an amazing planet by teleporting!
  • Running over Grunts in a Ghost that goes faster than normal!
  • A campaign dedicated to exploring... HOLY SHIT LOOK AT THIS WAYPOINT NOW!

*Epic Vista only available for a short time. Epic Vista users should also take note of the cliff that is less than two feet away.

Any one of these could be the next OT title.

Fuchsdh

Anyone called dibs on next |OT|?

As for the list, I wouldn't argue with a lot of it. But I still enjoyed the campaign a hell of a lot more than the on-rails experiences we get with COD and BF.

I do wish there had been a little more to the Maw-esque run in Forerunner. In a lot of ways it succeeds a lot more successfully than the similar homage in Reach, because A) nothing like an actual motivator to move fast, B) Ghosts are better than Mongooses, but aside from mowing down Grunts it's a straight linear path. If they'd given us a few more branching paths it would have been greatly improved.

HTupolev

I do wish there had been a little more to the Maw-esque run in Forerunner. In a lot of ways it succeeds a lot more successfully than the similar homage in Reach, because A) nothing like an actual motivator to move fast, B) Ghosts are better than Mongooses, but aside from mowing down Grunts it's a straight linear path. If they'd given us a few more branching paths it would have been greatly improved.

Fz7ILiB.jpg

Reach wins, Halo 4 loses.

Phil Spencer said:
“But I look at the next 18 to 24 months, and really on a month by month basis, you’re going to have something you can go out and play. It’s not really a portfolio plan that way, but when I look at the way the portfolio is laying out … I think people are going to be happy with the lineup that’s coming. And I haven’t even mentioned when Halo is coming or some of the big mega franchises.”
Wut? What does he mean??
http://www.vg247.com/2013/11/21/xbo...-look-strong-says-spencer-halo-tease-dropped/

Booshka

is the halo trilogy out on steam yet? D=

It probably will never happen now that the Steambox is a possible competitor in living rooms. Not that it was gonna happen anyway, because Halo is supposed to be an Xbox seller, and somehow Windows PC's are a competitor.

The prospect of playing Halo games on a Steam console would be fucking hilariously awesome though.

So no Halo video or something related?

Nothing during that X1 party episode thing.

Which describes it well, I think. It was a party thing. Maybe ~10 minutes of actual gameplay, if that. A shitty macklemore performance and an even shittier deadmao performance.

They gave the guy with 1,000,000 gamerscore a free lifetime XBL membership on air which was pretty cool. Otherwise it was extremely lackluster.

That's......kinda lame but its a console release launch so nothing was lose, cool for the overachievement guy with lifetime XBL.
Thanks for the resume.

Top Bottom