• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

So the new controller feels like an Xbox controller but you immediately feel the changes. The triggers feel good. The sticks seem to be about the same resistance but a little higher maybe. In your hands is as comfortable as ever but there is one thing that bugs me. Something is off about the bumpers. Its like they are closer together than the trigger and since they are sloped downward it feels a little awkward. Imagine bumper jumper but you need to move your fingers almost at an angle to hit the bumpers. Hard to explain.

JDHarbs

It probably will never happen now that the Steambox is a possible competitor in living rooms. Not that it was gonna happen anyway, because Halo is supposed to be an Xbox seller, and somehow Windows PC's are a competitor.

The prospect of playing Halo games on a Steam console would be fucking hilariously awesome though.
I still don't get how SteamBox is a competitor to Xbox. Its just a PC with Steam's Linux OS pre-installed on it.

If Halo ever comes to Steam, it will only be playable on Windows operating systems. Meaning the only way I could play Halo through a SteamBox would be by streaming it from a Windows PC or installing Windows onto the device. Either way Microsoft gets their money, Valve get's their money, and gamers get Halo on PC creating potential Xbox One buyers. I see no downsides to this, everyone wins.

blamite

Something is off about the bumpers. Its like they are closer together than the trigger and since they are sloped downward it feels a little awkward. Imagine bumper jumper but you need to move your fingers almost at an angle to hit the bumpers. Hard to explain.

I didn't notice anything about the placement when I messed with one a while ago, but the fact that you can only press the outer 50% or so of the bumper was pretty annoying. I assume that's still a thing?

I didn't notice anything about the placement when I messed with one a while ago, but the fact that you can only press the outer 50% or so of the bumper was pretty annoying. I assume that's still a thing?

Yeah especially if you have your fingers on the trigger. Its like you just touch the outer edge of the bumpers. Can't really speculate now but it seems like it could be an issue at least for me. The Dpad from the Day One edition is springy and clicky. Its like the newer 360 dpad but reassessed more so it isnt as high. Very clicky though for sure but I dont care about that.

BTW, the display I am using is 1080i since I am travelling. There is no 1080i support it looks like. It only gives me 720p.
Are you using the supplied HDMI cable? I started with my old HDMI and it auto-set the X1 to 640 x 480 as the only option. Once I changed to the official HDMI cable it was 1080p. Maybe your issue is related to the cable?

Side note: Fucking great on my side as my home setup goes from the mini equipment rack cabinet through the wall to my TV. So now I have to get a longer and officially compatible cable plus feed it through all that again. Ugh!

daedalius

So the new controller feels like an Xbox controller but you immediately feel the changes. The triggers feel good. The sticks seem to be about the same resistance but a little higher maybe. In your hands is as comfortable as ever but there is one thing that bugs me. Something is off about the bumpers. Its like they are closer together than the trigger and since they are sloped downward it feels a little awkward. Imagine bumper jumper but you need to move your fingers almost at an angle to hit the bumpers. Hard to explain.

I find it easier to hit the bumpers without removing my fingers from the triggers.

Are you using the supplied HDMI cable? I started with my old HDMI and it auto-set the X1 to 640 x 480 as the only option. Once I changed to the official HDMI cable it was 1080p. Maybe your issue is related to the cable?

Side note: Fucking great on my side as my home setup goes from the mini equipment rack cabinet through the wall to my TV. So now I have to get a longer and officially compatible cable plus feed it through all that again. Ugh!

You know what I wasn't. When I get home I will try that. My TV at home is 1080p though but I can still see if 1080i becomes an option.

Anyone called dibs on next |OT|?

As for the list, I wouldn't argue with a lot of it. But I still enjoyed the campaign a hell of a lot more than the on-rails experiences we get with COD and BF.

I do wish there had been a little more to the Maw-esque run in Forerunner. In a lot of ways it succeeds a lot more successfully than the similar homage in Reach, because A) nothing like an actual motivator to move fast, B) Ghosts are better than Mongooses, but aside from mowing down Grunts it's a straight linear path. If they'd given us a few more branching paths it would have been greatly improved.
Anyone except TheOddOne.

;-)
So.... does this mean Halo at VGX?

Fuchsdh

That's why I've never really invested in surround sound or any "clean" AV setup. I'm constantly trying to get at cables, I don't wanna have to rip up my walls to do it.

I find it easier to hit the bumpers without removing my fingers from the triggers.

Good news for me. The only thing that's bothered me is having the bumpers above the triggers it always felt like I should be using my middle finger on the trigger if I wanted to keep my index on the bumpers for faster response. I always wondered what the controller would feel like if the triggers were shifted up slightly and the bumpers came below.

FYC

Banned
So no Halo video or something related?

No, but you know something, I'm a bit hungry. Wanna grab some McDonalds?

ib2GfHrl6GxqFG.gif

I'm hoping we get something at VGX.

Omni

BTW, the display I am using is 1080i since I am travelling. There is no 1080i support it looks like. It only gives me 720p.

Well I guess it's a good thing that 1080i is disgusting.

I had my 360 on that setting for maybe a year when I got my first "HD" tv. When I finally switched it to 720p, I was blown away by how clear the image was.

I can't get into Killer Instinct because when I hop online to play, I get destroyed, and I'm not willing to put the effort to get good at the game and learn how to properly play. Never been able to play Fighting Games because of this. :p Game is extremely fun to play though when I'm paired up with someone of my skill (another bad player). :p Button Mashing for days.

belushy

Banned
I'm going to wait to buy an XBO until Halo 5 comes out and they do one of those bundle Xbox One things, like the Halo Reach and Halo 4 special designed ones.

Fuchsdh

I realized that most of you guys probably bought/will buy an Xbox One.

RIP me
For me it's basically either I get an Xb1 or I just say goodbye to consoles again and make do with the quite good selection of games I either emulate in OS 9 or XP, or else play natively in OS X. Don't feel like dealing with Sony and a whole nother ecosystem when I've got so many other good options for games.

and now I wanna play Spyro with my 360 controller when I get home
I'm going to wait to buy an XBO until Halo 5 comes out and they do one of those bundle Xbox One things, like the Halo Reach and Halo 4 special designed ones.

Probably my plan as well. Wonder when they'll come out with XB1 slims. Holiday 2015?

I realized that most of you guys probably bought/will buy an Xbox One.

RIP me

I'm waiting until either:

1) a good halo comes out
b) 1TB HDD XBO Slim with a bad halo with decent population comes out
III) a good, popular arena shooter that kills halo (that isn't titanfall)
dee) any combination of the above

Meaning I'll probably never get an XBO.
rip

Karl2177

Anyone called dibs on next |OT|?

As for the list, I wouldn't argue with a lot of it. But I still enjoyed the campaign a hell of a lot more than the on-rails experiences we get with COD and BF.

I do wish there had been a little more to the Maw-esque run in Forerunner. In a lot of ways it succeeds a lot more successfully than the similar homage in Reach, because A) nothing like an actual motivator to move fast, B) Ghosts are better than Mongooses, but aside from mowing down Grunts it's a straight linear path. If they'd given us a few more branching paths it would have been greatly improved.
Although there weren't any on-the-rails segments in 4, the Mantis sections had no alternatives. You can't go on foot without running out of ammo and the enemy weapons despawn too fast to pick them up. They may have well been rails segments.

Also, I'm totally done with the Maw-esque runs. They were kinda run the first couple times, but Reach's was so boring and 4's was game-y at best.

Fuchsdh

Although there weren't any on-the-rails segments in 4, the Mantis sections had no alternatives. You can't go on foot without running out of ammo and the enemy weapons despawn too fast to pick them up. They may have well been rails segments.

Also, I'm totally done with the Maw-esque runs. They were kinda run the first couple times, but Reach's was so boring and 4's was game-y at best.

I appreciated 4's more because it felt much more like it had a purpose in the narrative than Reach, were it felt more like ticking the boxes ("drive past the scarabs, because we didn't give them AI and even though you took on multiple ones before!")

I totally agree that it shouldn't be retread though. Even in 3 it didn't work as well as the ticking clock of danger of CE.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Feeling the I could buy the other console instead of this one? me too.

But I will wait for a lower price and Halo5/one release, I cant afford to buy the console this year

Nah, I'm happy with my purchase. I just miss playing with HaloGAFfers.

When Halo 5 inevitably disappoints, maybe I'll have more of you guys to play with.

Striker

I appreciated 4's more because it felt much more like it had a purpose in the narrative than Reach, were it felt more like ticking the boxes ("drive past the scarabs, because we didn't give them AI and even though you took on multiple ones before!")
Story wise the Scarabs having inferior AI or technology makes sense in Reach since it was years before they arrived on Earth with them.

If we're going to poke fun at AI, let's look at the Elites in Halo 4.

I'd recommend you go back and play it. Faults aside, there's still a lot of enjoyable stuff in the campaign.
Besides the pretty graphics, neat cut scenes with quality voice acting (especially considering some of the dialog the actors have to say), there's nothing memorable or innately replayable in Halo 4's campaign for me. Prometheans are terrible warping bullet sponges, Covenant went from excellent AI in Reach to barely fun to fight, shitty linear combat with the faintest illusion of exploration, a moustache-twirling joke of a villain, bad exposition of important plot points within the game, etc. I applaud your enjoyment of the game, but for the life of me I will never understand it.

I'd replay Halo 2 on the 360 with all the ghosting images before I'll ever play Halo 4 again.

daedalius

Just tell us how KI is, my hype is building.

I'm very bad at it, but after watching it on GB and some other demos, I'm interested in checking it out more.

It looks amazing in motion on a big screen though. I played it for a few minutes at the MS store the other day. Dpad on the new controller is epic compared to 360 dpad.

Fuchsdh

Story wise the Scarabs having inferior AI or technology makes sense in Reach since it was years before they arrived on Earth with them.

If we're going to poke fun at AI, let's look at the Elites in Halo 4.
Actually it was all of two months before they arrived at Earth. :)

Actually it was all of two months before they arrived at Earth. :)

That being said, it's sort of a fanon consensus that Halo 2's Scarab is a mining tool while the Halo 3-era ones and up are combat tools.

And if video game logic teaches us anything, it's that mining tools are always loads more powerful than traditional weapons. See: Dead Space.

I'd like to see a Halo 3 Scarab try to blow open the Control Room doors.

FyreWulff

I totally agree that it shouldn't be retread though. Even in 3 it didn't work as well as the ticking clock of danger of CE.

I thought the purpose of that is at that point, Scarabs are still supposed to be these super units. N6 was never really intended to be a super hero like Chief, so N6's option is to just avoid them.

In the narrative order, you go from seeing these scary deadly walking tanks of doom and just avoiding them, to trapping and defeating one, to taking on two in a fair fight at once. This was honestly the only fuck up I felt with ODST, they shouldn't have had you take down a Scarab by yourself. They should have only had the ones you encounter on the highway. But I guess the engine support was there so someone couldn't resist putting one in there :3

Top Bottom