• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

J10

Banned
Potentially the same way you balance power weapons players pick up or PO'd, player choice. A player can choose to simply back away from PV, bait/feint PV, avoid actually being spotted through elevation or attack vector, anti-PV mod etc.

When you meet an enemy in say Halo 2 and then see they have rockets out or on their back you make choices based on that. When I hear PV pings or see them on radar I make choices to counter that. Sometimes I use mods to counter them and sometimes I select playlists without PV enabled too.

Choice is my answer. Team work also works well against PV or even...wait for it...counter PV with PV.

There is such a thing as too much choice. Halo 4 is unnecessarily convoluted.

Or you just remove the ability that allows players to see through walls.

:)
Yep, if there is an issue look at the root of the cause instead of "band-aid" designing solutions to your issue. If you have to add a bunch of "band-aided" counters and trade-offs then maybe your game is better off without that element that created the issue in the first place.

If counters to elements to your game are choices being made in menus, that's another tell that you might want to reevaluate some of the core design choices you are making.
Playlists and vote variants do just that. Nothing wrong with some variety and differing mechanics from the base gameplay in other playlists. It sucks the current playlists and settings weren't there at launch.
I don't think what people are discussing has or should have anything to do with playlists. If we are discussing a sandbox element like PV, all relevant impacts and effects of that ability and any counters should be in the game sandbox itself, not choices made in menus or playlists.

DeadNames

Banned
Did anyone here play Terraria?

Also Ozzy... Why should the entire sandbox be designed to counter ONE thing that was never there to begin with? 343 has an affinity (heh) of overcomplicating things. Loadouts, menus, guns, story, PR, DLC, patches, gametypes, etc. It would do more good if 343 were to revert to classic Halo settings. I would take a playerbase of people who didn't like Halo 4 rather than a playerbase who does. The players who didn't like Halo 4 would greatly outnumber those who did. If 343 really wants cash, they need to stop CoD-ifying Halo. They went down that route, didn't work. And guess what... People won't be fooled again.

I don't think what people are discussing has or should have anything to do with playlists. If we are discussing a sandbox element like PV, all relevant impacts and effects of that ability and any counters should be in the game sandbox itself, not choices made in menus or playlists.

It's oversimplifying it if you ignore playlists. PV or camo aren't present in hardcore settings so why discuss them at all. It's a moot point regarding those playlists. I feel the same for the new mods being introduced, they'll either be off or on for all in certain playlists while other playlists will use the custom loadouts for a different style of implementation.

I enjoyed Reach and I enjoy Halo 4 (yes even at launch) all though I much prefer the more classic style of say Halo 3 than the Reach/4 loadouts. So why would you leave playlist discussion out when it's already how things are implemented? The same happened with Reach/TU/sustain. Some playlists/variants became fixed loadouts in place of custom loadouts. Some AA's became pick ups in place of loadouts or PO.

To me it's the way to cater to many types of Halo and it's intrinsic as a BR or grenade now. Halo simply can't go back to just Halo 2 without AA's or equipment 100% across the board. While I want just that for some playlists it would do no good in the overall population retention element if it was a blanket all playlists setting.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
I enjoyed Reach and I enjoy Halo 4 (yes even at launch) all though I much prefer the more classic style of say Halo 3 than the Reach/4 loadouts. So why would you leave playlist discussion out when it's already how things are implemented? The same happened with Reach/TU/sustain. Some playlists/variants became fixed loadouts in place of custom loadouts. Some AA's became pick ups in place of loadouts or PO.

There were no custom loadouts in Reach to begin with.

FyreWulff

You have to remember, 4 is an iteration of Reach. A Bungie game. They can't "tear Halo 4 a new one" without slightly tearing themselves a new one. If Bungie had not introduced armor abilities, etc, we all might be talking about a vastly different Halo 4.

On the other hand, there was nothing that required 343 to continue on from Reach, considering Bungie didn't even get to do a full sustain run from the game (ie, continue their plan of dialing back the AAs that 343 reversed and went full AA with after they took over).

I don't think anyone would have blinked an eye if 4 was made as a direct gameplay successor to 3. Or had a much toned down version of Reach's AAs.

It's oversimplifying it if you ignore playlists. PV or camo aren't present in hardcore settings so why discuss them at all. It's a moot point regarding those playlists. I feel the same for the new mods being introduced, they'll either be off or on for all in certain playlists while other playlists will use the custom loadouts for a different style of implementation.

To me it's the way to cater to many types of Halo and it's intrinsic as a BR or grenade now. Halo simply can't go back to just Halo 2 without AA's or equipment 100% across the board. While I want just that for some playlists it would do no good in the overall population retention element if it was a blanket all playlists setting.

I'm not saying that Halo can only be a player, a BR, and a grenade. The point I'm trying to make is that any sandbox element should be carefully crafted and if 5 different band-aid solutions need to exist to make that sandbox element work, then it probably shouldn't be in the game and "playlists" are not an answer to that.

Playlists are not an excuse for bad design.

And we covered this yesterday, but one playlist in the game doesn't have PV or Camo (core gameplay ones excluding SWAT and such), no playlists if you count ones that use settings that 343 makes and maintains.

DeadNames

Banned
CoD may get flak for not changing, but I wish other games would follow that. It's better to stick to something rather than make insane changes in order to gain a different playerbase.

ozzy then how come the community is dead? notice it happened when the horrible additions came in.

I'm not saying leave it all Infinity, I don't want that either. I much prefer assault and classic CTF over Infinity CTF but I still enjoy both. I'm really curious to play Ricochet as that definitely appeals to me in a big way. So does the shield recharge and delay stacked together. The vehicle ejector sucks IMO too. However what is wrong with 50% classic style, 25% niche or rotational and 25% COD/Halo 4 based?

You have to remember getting that balance right and maps/playlists management has always been a hit and miss affair. It was the same in 2,3 or Reach as well.

Further the community is far from dead. Take a look at some of the following:

1. RTX event
2. Merchandise sales
3. FuD views
4. Game sales
5. Still holding out hundreds of XBL titles to be in the top ten. Yes I agree the population isn't what it used be but the same goes for Reach and Halo 3 end of life too. The trend has been pretty steady and predictable. Halo 4 should have done more to retain players but it's not like 343i didn't try and the continued support is good to very good IMO.
6. Number of Waypoint members and active Universe or Halo Xbox One discussions
7. Halo Council, ForgeHub, Grifball league and other community sites.
8. Weekly tattoo's of Halo are still being done.
9. Tournaments, partnerships etc.
10. Panel broadcasts.
11. Hiring of new blood/community invites.
12. The new level of information release, bulletin quality, twitter/social accounts etc.

At the end of the day yes I agree Halo 4 doesn't have the king of the population and could do better. I personally think ranks were withheld specifically so Halo Xbox One or whatever first multiplayer title releases can really sell the population on the new console, just as Halo always has.

So when you look at Reach/TU experience and a new studio why not take some risks and shake things up with change? I can see that mentality being a worthy design/development choice when sitting down to talk about Halo 4. Just as Josh said it's Halo 4, new different and not Halo 2.5 or Halo 3.5 etc.

It's a damned shame more classic stuff/maps/settings weren't there at launch but in terms of what has been done since the new year I really enjoy Halo 4 these days. I just don't enjoy it as much as I did say Halo 3 ranked objective. I was the exact same with Reach, enjoyed it but just not to the level of Halo 3 ranked. I still miss assault. I still miss 1-sided objective. I miss playing in the golden era of Halo online with mics, ranks and playing at that 50 level. I don't miss non-hitscan weapons or a complete lack of regional matchmaking etc.

Sure if they had Halo 4 how it is now and perhaps some better maps or some of the DLC maps being there at launch I think the population would be better than it is now. However in no way do I subscribe to the idea that pure classic arena Halo across the board would bring Halo back to number 1 and bring millions of players back everyday. That's just being biased and not based in reality at all.

The series has massive fatigue these days and is going though huge changes in terms of talent, story, multiplayer, industry, console generations. What do you expect from the developers? The same Halo game every time? Bungie didn't choose to do that with any follow up Halo title and almost zero other developers choose to release the same game over and over.

Further find me the same charts from Halo 4 or Reach or Halo 3 and deliver that same data from a cross section of games. The same trends exist for all games, sure Halo 4 is receiving the worst from some poor launch decisions/issues but it's not as simple as blaming a developer for changes some things. They just took it too far at launch is all.

To me the current sandbox is miles in front of 2 or 3 or Reach. I feel it's iterated now to a very solid standing across a base setting and playlist diversification.

Did anyone here play Terraria?

Also Ozzy... Why should the entire sandbox be designed to counter ONE thing that was never there to begin with? 343 has an affinity (heh) of overcomplicating things. Loadouts, menus, guns, story, PR, DLC, patches, gametypes, etc. It would do more good if 343 were to revert to classic Halo settings. I would take a playerbase of people who didn't like Halo 4 rather than a playerbase who does. The players who didn't like Halo 4 would greatly outnumber those who did. If 343 really wants cash, they need to stop CoD-ifying Halo. They went down that route, didn't work. And guess what... People won't be fooled again.

I agree the simplified arena style Halo is the pinnacle of Halo. However if you take your statement of making it all revert to classic as true then where are the masses of population returning right now? You know since all this good work has gone into Throwdown or BTB Pro etc?

The trouble is even when those settings/playlists/maps are presented it doesn't return the masses. CEA & TU didn't return the masses, weapon tuning/CC's didn't return the masses and what will the tournament iterations do for Halo now and in the future? What does bring The Pit & Ricochet do for the population?

These are all aimed squarely at the classic core game who loved Halo 2/3 but it didn't knock off COD now did it? It's that sort of hit and miss that 343i are dealing with.

I've said it before and I see it coming with Halo Xbox One:
1. Ranked vs. social (CSR experience here).
2. Cleaner arena style play (launch maps and DLC experience here).
3. Tighter focus on settings per playlist/variant (sustain vs. launch experience here).
4. Improved launch playlists/maps for casual vs. competitive separation (player and previous game feedback here).
5. Console features for online tournies/LANS and content sharing for that (generational shift here and players expect more than ever now).
6. Partnerships to deliver content faster and from the best in their fields e.g. tournaments, books, figurines, cgi etc. (unification experience here)
7. Custom games support (launch & new studio experiences here)
8. Dedicated servers and potential Azure benefits (finally XBL gets serious instead of P2P).

If they release like that all at launch with Halo Xbox One title it has far more potential to rise Halo back to #1 or sustain it against the current game climate than Halo 4 ever stood a chance of doing.

There were no custom loadouts in Reach to begin with.

But it was a similar step away from even starts. In Reach you could choose an AA or primary weapon to your advantage or disadvantage, arguably more similar to Halo 4 custom loadouts than Halo 2/3 even starts and pick ups.

HTupolev

Yes I agree the population isn't what it used be but the same goes for Reach and Halo 3 end of life too.
Halo 3 was still fighting successfully for the #1 UU's spot after being driven lower on multiple occasions, two years after it released. When it was 3 years old, it was still making a pretty good fight for the #2 spot.

Halo 3 kept itself afloat and held onto a huge portion of its playerbase right up until Reach "ended its life."

...Halo 4 meanwhile started at a strong #1 and has been steadily dropping. At this point, just eight months after release, it's at #7. How does that even remotely compare to Halo 3's 3-year up-and-down struggle for the top?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Playlists and vote variants do just that. Nothing wrong with some variety and differing mechanics from the base gameplay in other playlists. It sucks the current playlists and settings weren't there at launch.
You have an amazing talent for dancing around issues and making up excuses. You should go into PR, lol.

Halo 3 was still fighting successfully for the #1 UU's spot after being driven lower on multiple occasions, two years after it released. When it was 3 years old, it was still making a pretty good fight for the #2 spot.

Halo 3 kept itself afloat and held onto a huge portion of its playerbase right up until Reach "ended its life."

...Halo 4 meanwhile started at a strong #1 and has been steadily dropping. At this point, just eight months after release, it's at #7. How does that even remotely compare to Halo 3's 3-year up-and-down struggle for the top?

Hell, even Reach was averaging 70k people up until Halo 4 was released.

The statistics are calculated differently between 3, Reach & 4. I didn't save the link but I think it was Fyrewulf or Ghal that explained this best. Like Reach was every hour and 4 is every 15 minutes and Halo 3 was calculated per day.

I agree the population has dropped but it's been a fairly steady trend from 3 to ODST to Reach and now to 4.

Personally I feel like dedicated servers for fairness of play, quality games, no black screens, less cheating, less awry bullets/damage and all that has the potential to retain players longer and more often than mechanics themselves.

After all take some silly guesses like:

Hardcore Halo competitive group = 20% of total population
Casual group = 40%
Campaign only group = 30%
Niche playlists = 10%

Just so we can say ok if we retain all of a certain group and make them happy where is the largest benefit going to come from? It's always going to be casual. I agree with making the game competitive first as a base and then make it fun for playlists from there though.

However when you want to retain gamers from campaign, casual or even from other games besides Halo what is going to impact the most and bring in fresh players? To me it's the quality of the games in terms of networking, fairness and removal of black screens/cheating. Next it's settings/maps for their style of play and finally it's about matching individuals or teams well so the games are close.

If you look at Destiny's presentation layer they're going for a more menu less design and a seamless experience. If Halo and do that with dedicated servers as I outline in the second paragraph above to me that is the best chance to get players in, give them a good clean experience and wanting them to play more.

That's my cornerstone and it's not sexy like a new weapon or a COD perk or a ranked tournament. It's what I go for in a game; load up fast, match with local players, don't interrupt the game, avoid cheap lopsided games with good matching and then feedback to the player allowing skill, teams or decision making to rise to the top.

heckfu

Banned
You have an amazing talent for dancing around issues and making up excuses. You should go into PR, lol.

LOL, I agree. That's why I told the other guy that it isn't worth it. Never really picks a side, which is fine, it just makes for boring arguments.

HTupolev

The statistics are calculated differently between 3, Reach & 4. I didn't save the link but I think it was Fyrewulf or Ghal that explained this best. Like Reach was every hour and 4 is every 15 minutes and Halo 3 was calculated per day.
I'm talking relative drop-offs, though. Halo 3 had better momentum. Hence why I emphasized that it dropped on the charts on multiple occasions but recovered. Regardless of absolute population (and it had good absolute numbers as well, or else it wouldn't have been fighting successfully against CoD), it had blatantly obviously astronomically better retention than Halo 4.

I agree the population has dropped but it's been a fairly steady trend from 3 to ODST to Reach and now to 4.
No it hasn't. Again, regardless of absolute player counts, Reach shows less steep drop-offs than Halo 4 in pretty much all comparable metrics known. Even if things like real-time UU's are calculated over different time spans, similar player dropoffs should show at least *comparable* trends.

To clarify, concurrent population numbers were calculated every 30 minutes on Halo 3, every 60 seconds on Reach, and 343 never said how often for Halo 4.

zap

To clarify, concurrent population numbers were calculated every 30 minutes on Halo 3, every 60 seconds on Reach, and 343 never said how often for Halo 4.

Thanks, that's what I thought was the case. I was very confused reading Ozzy's post.

Nobody cares about this because it's fiction, but hey Tor announced the third book of the Kilo-Five Trilogy:
The Halo Kilo-Five Trilogy Will Conclude This January
TOR.COM

HaloMortalDictata.jpg

Tor Books and 343 Industries™ are excited to announce the forthcoming January 2014 publication of Halo: Mortal Dictata by #1 New York Times bestselling author Karen Traviss. Traviss has penned #1 bestselling novels in the Star Wars universe, as well as bestselling novels for the Gears of War franchise, and this winter she completes the “Kilo-Five” story, her trilogy set in the Halo® universe.

Based on the universe and characters from the multimillion copy selling Xbox video games, Mortal Dictata completes a trilogy set in the Halo universe, and ties into the story of Halo 4, which launched in November 2012.

Read a chapter from Halo: Glasslands, the first book in the trilogy, and keep your ears open at this year’s San Diego Comic Con for more news about the Halo universe!
http://www.tor.com/blogs/2013/07/the-halo-kilo-five-trilogy-will-conclude-this-january

I'm excited for it. Especially since it deals with the crime, Halsey did with the Spartan II project. Btw. Eric Nylund added the "Mortal Dictata" to the fiction and not 343i...

It seems like Tor Book will announce new books at SDCC if I read the last paragraph correctly. I hope it won't be just compilation or audio books of previous ones... I want new ones. Post Halo 4 books. New Forerunner books.

wwm0nkey

Nobody cares about this because it's fiction, but hey Tor announced the third book of the Kilo-Five Trilogy:

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2013/07/the-halo-kilo-five-trilogy-will-conclude-this-january

I'm excited for it. Especially since it deals with the crime, Halsey did with the Spartan II project. Btw. Eric Nylund added the "Mortal Dictata" to the fiction and not 343i...

It seems like Tor Book will announce new books at SDCC if I read the last paragraph correctly. I hope it won't be just compilation or audio books of previous ones... I want new ones. Post Halo 4 books. New Forerunner books.

More Halsey shit? God dammit dude I am sick of that already and Spartan Ops did nothing but further fuel my rage.

Are they ever going to fucking touch on how the S3 program was just was worse considering they were made for suicide missions?

Omni

January next year, eh? I can't wait.

Not because I want to read the thing, but because it will finally mark the end of Traviss' destructive reign over the Halo universe. Quite frankly, I'm sick of Halsey hate. It makes absolutely no sense and yet Traviss seems intent on shovelling it down our throats on every damn page that she seems to write. Glasslands is so shocking. Thursday War was anything but memorable (let's not even mention some of the other crap within the two books that makes no sense at all or is just tedious to read).

Unfortunately I sense that we haven't got the worst of Halsey-hate-shit-shovelling just yet. With the travesty of the storyline that is Spartan Ops, I expect the Halsey hate to be up ten fold in the book. But then it will be over! And that makes me excited.

More Halsey shit? God dammit dude I am sick of that already and Spartan Ops did nothing but further fuel my rage.

Are they ever going to fucking touch on how the S3 program was just was worse considering they were made for suicide missions?

Naa. It's easier to just compare Halsey to Hitler constantly.

Shadders

I really enjoyed Thursday War, I think there's a lot of great characters in the Traviss books, and the whole Sangheilli arc is fascinating.

The Halsey thing is a bit weird though, I'm not sure why they've continued to go this way, I'd like to hear an official line on it. Are we supposed to hate Halsey now or feel sorry for her because she's been attacked like this?

That cover is seriously ropey too.

At the start to mid of Halo 3 that is not correct. It changed around mid-life for Halo 3. Anyhow the best I could find were some quotes from Bungie guys -

Urk Quote:
The numbers you're using are not comparable. Halo 3 is displaying its total player count over the last 24 hours. Halo: Reach is displaying how many players are online right now.

Halo: Reach has way more active players and the attrition rate is much, much lower than it was for Halo 3.

So, in summary: Reach is currently way more popular than Halo 3 is and remains more popular than Halo 3 was this many days after its release date.

Yay, science!

Achronos Quote:
Except that the number of players listed in a playlist only counts the people who are actively in a game, not people between games, or in other non-playlist modes. The delta between those two easily accounts for the difference.

I swear, you guys are obsessed with population counts. Reach is in a pretty steady state regarding player population, and nobody is padding the numbers. Indeed, Reach has a much more accurate population counter (thanks to the Active Roster) than Halo 3 does (which counts based on games processed, not in real time).

I'm aware of the population decline for Halo 4 but in terms of my personal experience it was quite a similar trend for my friends list with Reach. I would prefer a more arena based approach than Infinity. Just as many here do.

Omni

At the start to mid of Halo 3 that is not correct. It changed around mid-life for Halo 3. Anyhow the best I could find we're some quotes from Bungie guys -
Urk Quote:
Achronos Quote:
I'm aware of the population decline for Halo 4 but in terms of my personal experience it was quite a similar trend for my friends list with Reach. I would prefer a more arena based approach than Infinity. Just as many here do.
Not that I doubt that they're real quotes, but where are you pulling those from? Would like to see the conversation around them.

willow ve

Are people really still arguing that Halo 4 is just as popular as 3/Reach based on the idea that the numbers are calculated differently?

Gui_PT

I am offended to not have been included in those lists of names, especially because I'm the best player here

Or at least I can get overkills

IHaveIce

Banned
I really enjoyed Thursday War, I think there's a lot of great characters in the Traviss books, and the whole Sangheilli arc is fascinating.

The Halsey thing is a bit weird though, I'm not sure why they've continued to go this way, I'd like to hear an official line on it. Are we supposed to hate Halsey now or feel sorry for her because she's been attacked like this?

That cover is seriously ropey too.
Didn't even finish Thursday war, it wss that boring!

I just really dislike her writing style.
Also god damn I just want to know what Fred etc have to do around the time of Halo 4

wwm0nkey

Didn't even finish Thursday war, it wss that boring!

I just really dislike her writing style.
Also god damn I just want to know what Fred etc have to do around the time of Halo 4

You know just partying and shit, probably started a few families and had spartan babies and got a few spartan puppies as well.

More believable than Palmer becoming the commander of the Spartans at least.

EDIT: To be fair, there are somethings I like about Halo 4's story but Halsey getting shit on and Palmer just anger me to no end.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
From the IGN Jason Jones interview:

(Part 3 of 3)
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07...atest-tragedy?abthid=51dc19217746a9bb28000002

Before my hour and 20-ish minutes with Jones was up, there is one question that’s always been on my mind, and I’d never forgive myself if I didn’t ask it: How was Halo 2 supposed to end?

Bungie as a whole dodged the subject for years, at various points calling it their Empire Strikes Back, before more recently owning up to the fact that Halo 2 doesn’t end so much as it just stops. I wasn’t sure how Jones might react to this line of inquiry. Would he take offense? Maybe get quiet? Say he’d rather not talk about it?

Instead, his face lights up in a way you simply cannot feign. It’s as if he’s been bottling up the story for years, eager for someone to finally ask him about it so that he could let it all out, perhaps cathartically. He wants to tell me everything, I can see it. But we’re out of time.

“It’s hard to think about,” he begins. “Did we record the pitch for that chapter?” he asks himself. “I don’t think we did…”

Considering it further, he continues. “Finishing Halo 2 was hard…We should [talk about] that at a separate time,” he says. “Turn it into its own story. That sounds fun to me. In all seriousness, it might actually be fun…”

He can’t help himself, though, and sneaks in one tidbit:

“We could even pull out the old Halo 2 [E3 2004] demo. Like seven days before we went to E3, it was running at a steady five, ten frames per second…”

And with that, it is a bit hilarious – perhaps even fitting – that, like Halo 2, Jason Jones’ first interview in over a decade ends on a cliffhanger.

Hmm... Add the proper ending (and the E3 level) to Halo 2 Anniversary! :p

Akai__

Props to Ozzy for becoming a Waypoint mod.

Such an accompishment and considering, that he always defended 343i on here, it's not really a wonder, but whatever.

Master Chief in GTA V? :D

Is this the same person, as in GTA 4 TBoGT? When you watch TV there, there is a show with guys in green suits aswell, which kinda look like Spartans.

Edit:

Yep, I meant this. Thanks.

Top Bottom