• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Fuchsdh

I don't think it's even possible to add the original ending since only the developers at Bungie at the time know what they were originally going to do.

Marty at one point teased that he has the entire ending VO recorded somewhere, but that's just never going to see the light of day.

Nowise10

Master Chief in GTA V? :D

That is the MasterChief cartoon spoof character that was on TV in GTA IV

From the IGN Jason Jones interview:

(Part 3 of 3)
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07...atest-tragedy?abthid=51dc19217746a9bb28000002

Hmm... Add the proper ending (and the E3 level) to Halo 2 Anniversary! :p

That got me excited, I'd love to know what they wanted to do, and to show off that demo again. Didnt stinkles say something about how they still have the demo and could possibly release it?

I doubt that would ever happen, but more footage of it would be amazing.

There's going to be a Halo panel at comic-con

Inside the Looking Glass: Building “Halo” Worlds and Wonders, Past, Present and Future
Room 6BCF, San Diego Convention Center
Thursday, July 18, 11:45 a.m. – 12:45 p.m.

Spartans Unite! Join Frank O’Connor (Franchise Development Director), Dan Ayoub (Executive Producer), and other 343 Industries guests as they celebrate and discuss the exciting new addition to the “Halo” universe (“Halo: Spartan Assault”), the new comic-book series from Dark Horse Comics (“Halo: Initiation”), along with some “Mega” surprises.

mega surprises!!!

The statistics are calculated differently between 3, Reach & 4. I didn't save the link but I think it was Fyrewulf or Ghal that explained this best. Like Reach was every hour and 4 is every 15 minutes and Halo 3 was calculated per day.

Set the statistics aside for the time being. Most of us played all of these games. We remember how many people were on during peak hours at various points in the games' life cycles.

Halo 3 generally had 100-150k on during peak hours in its 3rd year after release.

Reach, bad as it was, generally had 70-90k on during peak hours in its 2nd year.

Halo 4 started at 400k users peak, and within months was down to 30k. That's not a normal falloff for a AAA online shooter that moves the kind of units that H4 did. That's an extinction event.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
343, consolidate Reach's playlists and make the TU global (as much as possible), and I will bake you cupcakes.

56 current players in Super Slayer. Fuck.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
If you combine a one-way shield door and a vehicle, will you perpetually float upwards?

Someone should try it with a tank.

Nope, one way shields don't work, but some bullets can be deflected off of them. I made a post yesterday or the day before with the stuff I tried out.

Omni

From the IGN Jason Jones interview:

(Part 3 of 3)
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07...atest-tragedy?abthid=51dc19217746a9bb28000002

Hmm... Add the proper ending (and the E3 level) to Halo 2 Anniversary! :p
Halo 2 is my favourite in the series, and if they were to do an Anniversary edition I would not want them to add anything to the campaign, tbh.

I don't get the love for the E3 demo. If anything, it was just proof of concept. It looked great at the time (because dat hype), but going back and watching it shows how rough it really was. Not to mention it wouldn't fit in the game at all.

And hell. The actual ending to Halo 2 could have been totally trash. We don't even know.

At the start to mid of Halo 3 that is not correct. It changed around mid-life for Halo 3. Anyhow the best I could find were some quotes from Bungie guys -

Urk Quote:
Achronos Quote:
I'm aware of the population decline for Halo 4 but in terms of my personal experience it was quite a similar trend for my friends list with Reach. I would prefer a more arena based approach than Infinity. Just as many here do.
That doesn't change what I said. What Urk is referring to is people that were comparing a 24-hour players counter from Halo 3 to a concurrent count for Reach, which obviously is not comparable. Concurrent populations in Halo 3 were always calculated every 30 minutes, and were always viewable in-game.
Set the statistics aside for the time being. Most of us played all of these games. We remember how many people were on during peak hours at various points in the games' life cycles.

Halo 3 generally had 100-150k on during peak hours in its 3rd year after release.

Reach, bad as it was, generally had 70-90k on during peak hours in its 2nd year.

Halo 4 started at 400k users peak, and within months was down to 30k. That's not a normal falloff for a AAA online shooter that moves the kind of units that H4 did. That's an extinction event.
But see that's where the 30 minutes versus once a minute comes in. Halo 3 reported numbers 30 times slower than Reach does, which according to Bungie lead to considerable backlogging that inflated the numbers.

I'm not saying that more people weren't playing Halo 3 than Reach at that point, but because of the reporting differences the actual numbers were probably a lot closer than that.

Madness

It's simple for me. Most of my friends list is Halo fans. Even up until the launch of H4, you could find me playing or someone on my friends list.

With Halo 3, there were close to 55+ people playing any given time.

With Reach it shrank but I still had like 15-20 people playing at least 1 year or so after launch.

By January of this year, that is less than 3 months from launch, I was the only guy playing Halo 4. It's all anecdotal but there isn't a single person I know on my friends list or people in real life I know, that liked Halo 4. And we are all decade long Halo fans. Some guys on my list are people who used to play Halo 2 in high school with me.

I don't even play Halo 4 now. I've stopped playing and I was excited to download this new map pack with mark V armor, but with this new perk shit, I don't know if I want to support this with more money.

No one can defend it. Halo is behind 3 shooters now and dropping. It's behind Minecraft and fifa, it's even behind NBA, a game mostly only popular in the US. Fifa you could say everyone in Europe, Asia, Latin America loves but come on.

No one could ever believe Halo would be behind 2 call of duty games and battlefield, on the xbox no less.

Halo 2 is my favourite in the series, and if they were to do an Anniversary edition I would not want them to add anything to the campaign, tbh.

I don't get the love for the E3 demo. If anything, it was just proof of concept. It looked great at the time (because dat hype), but going back and watching it shows how rough it really was. Not to mention it wouldn't fit in the game at all.

And hell. The actual ending to Halo 2 could have been totally trash. We don't even know.

Bungie should have put a video of it.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
How do you like your Surface pro? I want one so bad but the price is still a little high now.

It's my work PC. Hooked up to two external monitors (one is a touchscreen). Works great for the most part. Not sure I'd buy one on my own, but it's nice for work to be able to take to meetings easily and travel with.

Madness

How much pull do you think Frank has at MS/343? Just curious. He's franchise development director for Halo. But people like Bonnie and Kiki run the studio and guys like Josh Holmes and Kevin Franklin design the games.

Gui_PT

How much pull do you think Frank has at MS/343? Just curious. He's franchise development director for Halo. But people like Bonnie and Kiki run the studio and guys like Josh Holmes and Kevin Franklin design the games.

Have you seen his biceps? He calls all the shots.

Tawpgun

Ignoring how you count population, my friends list is the only population list I care about and that one took a nosedive since reach. No one plays halo anymore. I haven't played ONE silly custom game in 4.

Yeah it's anecdotal evidence but its the evidence that affects me the most. Halogaf was the only reason I played reach consistently. I found halo fans to play with. Now Halogaf has left halo

J10

Banned

However much influence he has, it's not enough.

Props to Ozzy for becoming a Waypoint mod.

Thanks mate, stay classy.

That doesn't change what I said. What Urk is referring to is people that were comparing a 24-hour players counter from Halo 3 to a concurrent count for Reach, which obviously is not comparable. Concurrent populations in Halo 3 were always calculated every 30 minutes, and were always viewable in-game.

But see that's where the 30 minutes versus once a minute comes in. Halo 3 reported numbers 30 times slower than Reach does, which according to Bungie lead to considerable backlogging that inflated the numbers.

I'm not saying that more people weren't playing Halo 3 than Reach at that point, but because of the reporting differences the actual numbers were probably a lot closer than that.

My bad then, was doing a bunch of quick searches to find some metrics. I don't suppose you have any Bungie concrete details or links?

Ignoring how you count population, my friends list is the only population list I care about and that one took a nosedive since reach. No one plays halo anymore. I haven't played ONE silly custom game in 4.

Yeah it's anecdotal evidence but its the evidence that affects me the most. Halogaf was the only reason I played reach consistently. I found halo fans to play with. Now Halogaf has left halo

It was the same with Reach for me, like mist friends seemed to miss the TU because they left early. Halo 4 the same Reach friends still play together and do customs etc.

It's a relevant personal population but I suppose Aussies are used to teaming for host and low populations by comparison anyhow.

Omni

Sooo nervous today. Get my semester 1 uni results back in 40 minutes. I hate waiting.

If Spartan Assault is already on the marketplace - or at least in a position to be distributed digitally - why the hell haven't we got a release date yet?

Moa

Sooo nervous today. Get my semester 1 uni results back in 40 minutes. I hate waiting.

If Spartan Assault is already on the marketplace - or at least in a position to be distributed digitally - why the hell haven't we got a release date yet?

Well there's a bulletin tomorrow.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
My bike seat fell off and decided to take me with it earlier today, and now I'm stuck at home with a sprained wrist. I can't even play videogames, lol. So I'm spending the afternoon watching old Halo 3 MLG matches on Youtube.

blamite

Nobody cares about this because it's fiction, but hey Tor announced the third book of the Kilo-Five Trilogy:

HaloMortalDictata.jpg

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2013/07/the-halo-kilo-five-trilogy-will-conclude-this-january

I'm excited for it. Especially since it deals with the crime, Halsey did with the Spartan II project. Btw. Eric Nylund added the "Mortal Dictata" to the fiction and not 343i...

It seems like Tor Book will announce new books at SDCC if I read the last paragraph correctly. I hope it won't be just compilation or audio books of previous ones... I want new ones. Post Halo 4 books. New Forerunner books.

Haha that cover is so damn goofy looking. Probably not final, I assume?

I think I'll probably end up just reading a summary of this one like I did with Silentium. Until I'm convinced to actually sick with the series going forward I just can't put that much time into any new fiction.

Top Bottom