• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Nebula

Just rush the Rifles and dong on the AR kids at spawn. Just think, you'll get to play AR starts in The Pit like you used to in level 45-50 Team Slayer in Halo 3. It's going to be excellent.

:)

Havok

Months of hype without any details for a gametype, calling it the middle ground between Infinity and Throwdown...and it ends up being AR starts.

That might be the best prank they've ever pulled. One of the real positives about loadouts was that you never had to spawn with an assault rifle ever again, but this is not what people were asking for when they wanted equal starts.

something something something the squad slayer of halo 4 something something

Gui_PT

Legendary Slayer

271.gif

Just kill this game. Kill it. Pull it off XBL. Please.

Tawpgun

Fuck me

This is laughable how out of touch they are. Wow.

The backlash is gonna be amazing. There's a good chance they'll change it.

In 5 months

Still no reason to put my Halo 4 disc back in the tray. Legendary sounds good right up until the absolutely MORONIC decision to have AR starts with not even the pistol as a secondary.

It's like they want it to fail.

IHaveIce

Banned
Did you really think they were going to remove sprint. It's one of the things they have never mentioned considering removing, because they consider it to be part of the core gameplay of H4.
Sprint will maybe removed for the V5 settings of Throwdown, at least it is in discussion.

I told my friends about Legendary slayer and one said "hell yes that is awesome"

I pointed out it is AR starts and he said " I know, that is trash and was trash in Halo 3 already, but it so much better than infinity and more accessible for randoms with radar"

This is exactly the mindset 343 is appealing to, the mindset we here at HaloGAf already called out as " Good Enough" mindset.

People mustn't stop to call out bad design choices only because they are a step in the right direction.
That is not entitlement, it is knowing the optimal settings and seeing how they dance around them.

Legendary Slayer seems to be just what they described it to be when they first started talking about it. A less "hardcore" Team Throwdown.
Was there a reason Nylund didn't do the Kilo-Five trilogy? It was a direct sequel to the work he did so I wonder why he wasn't the one writing it.
Have we considered the idea that he didn't want to write more Halo fiction?

Sprint will maybe removed for the V5 settings of Throwdown, at least it is in discussion.

I told my friends about Legendary slayer and one said "hell yes that is awesome"

I pointed out it is AR starts and he said " I know, that is trash and was trash in Halo 3 already, but it so much better than infinity and more accessible for randoms with radar"

This is exactly the mindset 343 is appealing to, the mindset we here at HaloGAf already called out as " Good Enough" mindset.

People mustn't stop to call out bad design choices only because they are a step in the right direction.
That is not entitlement, it is knowing the optimal settings and seeing how they dance around them.

Really? I was never aware that was on the table. I'll gladly eat crow if they decide to remove it in all the gametypes in one of the playlists.

As for legendary slayer... AR starts aren't great, but it might be a nice playlist to dick around in when you don't have the party for doubles/throwdown.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Wouldn't BR starts make putting the Light Rifle, Carbine, and DMR on the map essentially pointless though?

Should start with a pistol as secondary at the very least, however.

Gui_PT

Wouldn't BR starts make putting the Light Rifle, Carbine, and DMR on the map essentially pointless though?

I don't care about other rifles on the map. Anything but AR starts.

Every single time you die, everyone else will have a rifle and will start pinging you as soon as you spawn.
Even if you don't die as soon as you spawn, you'll have to walk around the map looking for a rifle just to have a fighting chance. You're bound to run into someone while looking for a weapon and die.

Not fun.

m23

Wow. No thanks, its been more than a month since I played Halo 4 and was kind of looking forward to legendary slayer. But AR starts just kills it. I'll just continue my replay of Mass Effect and complete my backlog until next gen arrives.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I don't care about other rifles on the map. Anything but AR starts.

Every single time you die, everyone else will have a rifle and will start pinging you as soon as you spawn.
Even if you don't die as soon as you spawn, you'll have to walk around the map looking for a rifle just to have a fighting chance. You're bound to run into someone while looking for a weapon and die.

Not fun.

I'm not 100% disagreeing with this, but I don't necessarily agree with it either. Most of those maps aren't entirely huge, or entirely open. The AR has been beefed up enough that you stand some sort of chance.

It's be nice if they mixed AR and BR starts though. Odd decision overall. Especially to not have a pistol as secondary.

Gui_PT

I'm not 100% disagreeing with this, but I don't necessarily agree with it either. Most of those maps aren't entirely huge, or entirely open. The AR has been beefed up enough that you stand some sort of chance.

It's be nice if they mixed AR and BR starts though. Odd decision overall. Especially to not have a pistol as secondary.

Yeah the weirdest thing is that there's no secondary.

Try some Halo 3 btw. BR starts gametypes are awesome, you get ammo lying around the map and an AR as backup.

BR starts on Midship <3

Enfinit

It can't just be AR starts. It can't. No way. They're trolling us.

Have they learned nothing? They're inevitably going to change it to BR starts once we bitch enough, so why not go ahead and just change it now...

Also, wtf with Recharge mod? Recharge + Shielding = immortality.

Assault Rifle primary
Battle Rifle secondary

power weapons on the map.

not rocket science, but apparently out of the brainscape of any Halo playlist manager.

Tawpgun

Or, you know, maybe include ar starts and br starts as voting options at the very least?

Maybe you're right. Maybe they want it to fail so they can say "WELL WE TRIED CLASSIC HALO BUT COMMUNITY DIDN'T LIKE IT HERE'S MORE INFINITY"

Ugh, super salty at this news

"We’re excited to deliver a brand-new experience to Halo 4 Matchmaking that will focus on even starting weapons and map control, with players fighting to gain control of all rifles, power weapons and each map’s power positions."

Remember when that used to be the core experience to Halo?

I'm still excited for this gametype...
Although I wish they'd add magnum secondary, at least.

Enfinit

Doesn't matter who they hire, I don't actually believe Bravo thinks starting with just an AR is a good idea.

I can't imagine Bravo or Quinn think this is a good idea. They also seem like the kind of people to speak their concern as well, which means the question is: who's ignoring them? Which member of 343i makes these decisions? Who sits there and ignores Bravo or tells him that he's wrong?

Hiring juices won't help anyone if no one will listen to him.

Doesn't matter who they hire, I don't actually believe Bravo thinks starting with just an AR is a good idea.
But it's so much harder to use now, and 343 wants everyone to be able to show off their awesome AR skinz.

Now I know why Chief is wearing that poncho; he's actively hiding from Kevin Franklin.

But it's so much harder to use now, and 343 wants everyone to be able to show off their awesome AR skinz.

Now I know why Chief is wearing that poncho; he's actively hiding from Kevin Franklin.

The man who somehow worked on four games and then became the lead multiplayer designer on one of the two biggest console multiplayer shooters. How this happened will forever remain a mystery.

Yeah, after being initially upset this was my line of thinking also. Just give us a magnum secondary and all should be good. It will be fun rushing for the rifles on the map like past games.

IHaveIce

Banned
Does Legendary slayer require champions DLC? If so it'll be great playing it with 500 people at peak hours : /

The Only way to get more population than this for this playlist is to remove Infinity slayer and replace it with Legandary Slayer, with voting options for BR starts.

Finished

MaGlock

Um. Even without a DLC paywall this is going to hover around 1k players at peak. Population is dead.

I would have like to heard they would put it in infinity slayer like the did with Pro, having the option to vote for it. Then it would be in a playlist with 5k population. I agreed though this games been flatlining for a while

So right now we are going to have four versions of Slayer. Infinity, Pro, Throwdown, and Legendary. Isn't this kind of fragmentation what they said were trying to avoid after Reach? Wasn't it their big reason CEA didn't include multiplayer? Clearly they don't really care about splitting the playerbase. It really just sucks to know I could be playing CE multiplayer online right now, but they just wanted force their vision of Halo down our throats instead.

willow ve

So right now we are going to have four versions of Slayer. Infinity, Pro, Throwdown, and Legendary. Isn't this kind of fragmentation what they said were trying to avoid after Reach? Wasn't it their big reason CEA didn't include multiplayer? Clearly they don't really care about splitting the playerbase. It really just sucks to know I could be playing CE multiplayer online right now, but they just wanted force their vision of Halo down our throats instead.
The whole game has been an example of mixed messages. It might be the studio is simply too big to make a great cohesive game. There are too many opinions and too many paychecks to justify.

woah what am I missing!

Need to read back a few pages but before I do, I enjoy AR pistol starts in reach and halo 4 because you get a medium range weapon and a pocket accuracy weapon which can kill rather well at any range, prefer it over BR starts.

Legendary Slayer. I feel like we've gone back to Halo 3 launch where the biggest debate was whether AR or BR starts were better - except that there's no option for BR starts. Having a pistol secondary would help, at least, because the Halo 4 pistol is much better than the Halo 3 one. Everything else about it seems OK, but I'd like to see the changes made to the maps described in more detail, that's pretty important. I do wish Sprint would be taken out for the game mode, though, as it would probably help make a map like the Pit or Shutout play a hell of a lot better or more similar to the original. Jumping from say, snipe 2 to training used to be pretty skill-based, but I imagine now it'll be quite easy with Sprint. I'm not saying that's necessarily bad, but with the goal of the gameplay to be "basic", I have to say, no sprint with a slightly higher base movement speed seems to hit that goal a lot better.

The comparison shots between Pitfall and The Pit are encouraging, but I can't help but be a little bit soured over the colour tone overall. The colour range is seemingly non-existent compared to The Pit. It's brown instead of yellow, green, blue, etc, man. Fidelity-wise, sure it looks better, but the rest seems like more of a downgrade. It's all muddied up together. The Pit isn't the only map that suffers from this - many of the maps in the game have this same "issue". Hopefully that art direction is changed in the future games, because the colour has just been drained from this game, and it's one thing I've always found to be one of Halo's biggest strengths vs the competition.

BigShow36

Haven't we gone through this EXACT SAME SHIT with every single Halo game since Halo 2? Starting with a weapon that does not allow you to fight back immediately off of spawn is not fun, has never been fun, and never will be fun. Why do Halo developers keep trying it again and again?

The AR does not allow you to stand a chance against a team that has rifles. It simply doesn't.

Ramirez

It's not about whether or not the AR is improved, it obviously is in 4. The problem is that even with improvements, you're severely gimped against anyone who will have a BR/DMR/Carbine. The on map rifles will probably have some brilliant respawn time of every 1:30 or something stupid as well, you know they'll fuck that up too.

Top Bottom