• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

You wonder how much of this was set in stone long ago. I'm also slightly fearful for Halo 5 based on these new perks. (If anyone can believe that).

Yea I'm guessing Bravo and Quinn aren't doing anything with the next Halo, and the people who made the bad decisions for Halo 4 are making the new bad decisions for the next Halo.

We haven't seen anything yet, so maybe it will be good. But I'm not holding my breath.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Indeed. I assume I'll still enjoy Halo 5 even if it's like 4 (but a bit dialed back), but it will be "enjoyment" in a different context from Halo 1-3. Almost like it's a new series of game.

Nebula

Instead of attacking the Plasma Pistol Plasma Grenade combo head on, they added a perk to further lengthen kill times, make people rage more, and the vehicle still dies.

This is going to be practically useless for anyone who just wants to use a damn Hog from time to time and actually manage more than a kill in it.

Halo 4 has turned me away from the franchise. Poor campaign, Spartan Ops with zero replay value aside from the initial grind to unlock loadouts, questionable design choices in every aspect of the game (to put it nicely). Infinity settings destroyed the player base to a point where the better post-launch gametypes have little to offer in terms of quality matches for someone at my decidedly not-pro skill level. A remake of a good old map, an absurdly gimmicky new map, and new Spartan Flair isn't enough to pull me back into the worst multiplayer I've ever experienced in Halo.

Halo 5 might as well be a new IP, because 343 now has to prove more to me to return to the game than if it were something I've never heard of before.

I say all this not out of spite or hatred, but of genuine remorse for a franchise that pulled me back into console gaming and to GAF in the first place. :-(

Striker

makes game oriented around BTB.

playlist is near unplayable due to core elements of the game.

lol
Designed around Infinity more than that. And I'd say the "BTB" maps people say are more mid-sized for the 5v5 playlists which seem to be a general favorite for 343. Bigger ones like Longbow and Vortex are different, though.

Crummy DLC implementation, bad perks (include flinch since its tied to it), AA's, lots of over-powered weapons and vehicles, sprint, bad gametypes that haven't really gotten better since launch... At least they did eventually add back in death markers, which was totally strange for them to omit anyway.

Gui_PT

This sounds like a joke, but unbelievably, it's not. (As far as we know.)

Imagine this. CTF on Ragnarok, an entire team with that perk. They all get on all the vehicles existing in their base. They rush towards the enemy base and whatever happens, they all get there.

Imagine this. CTF on Ragnarok, an entire team with that perk. They all get on all the vehicles existing in their base. They rush towards the enemy base and whatever happens, they all get there.

Better yet: EMP reduction perk and ejector seat. Use your Mongooses to storm the enemy base and steal their vehicles with no negative repercussions.

So Eric Nylund is leaving Microsoft and I assume by proxy Halo.

Adios Microsoft
Posted on July 9, 2013 by Eric
My Microsoft colleagues know, but fyi to those outside of MS and my fans…

After 14 years at Microsoft Game Studios, I have resigned as the Narrative Design Director.

It’s been a great adventure—launching consoles and so many games. I still have my original XBOX signed by Bill Gates… AND it’s still running sans red ring of death

I’ve learned more at Microsoft than I did in my PhD program for theoretical physics!

Some memorable experiences:

Watching a talented game designer smash their keyboard to bits over their monitor in frustration.
Getting creep-ed out, seeing the Flood in HALO for the first time.
Locked in a conference room with key creatives all day, having to re-write the story on a AAA game after cutting one-third of the levels (not the first, or last, time this would happen).
Making my 1000th PowerPoint deck.
And most of all, working with talented and the most dedicated people in the video games industry.
I’m going to miss my Microsoft friends and colleagues.

So, what’s next?

I’m moving on to create something truly extraordinary. New company. Bold vision. Entertainment for the 21st century.

Stay tuned for details.

- http://ericnylund.net/?p=1174

Halo from a fiction point of view will never be the same.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
xV22W.jpg

Gui_PT

By the way, I've made that "r u a girl, pm me" post many times as a joke, always assuming I'm saying it to a guy.

So I apologize if I've said it to an actual girl and offended her or anyone else.

Keep'n it clean, bromangos.

Atsumi

By the way, I've made that "r u a girl, pm me" post many times as a joke, always assuming I'm saying it to a guy.

So I apologize if I've said it to an actual girl and offended her or anyone else.

Keep'n it clean, bromangos.

Don't worry about it. I'm hard to offend. :)

Also, Eric Nylund leaving is such sour news. The Fall of Reach is one of my favorite books ever.

FyreWulff

"Locked in a conference room with key creatives all day, having to re-write the story on a AAA game after cutting one-third of the levels (not the first, or last, time this would happen)."

Given that various Bungie heads have said the third act of Halo 2 was chopped off the end to get it out the door, I'm going to assume this refers to Halo 2

Don't worry about it. I'm hard to offend. :)

Also, Eric Nylund leaving is such sour news. The Fall of Reach is one of my favorite books ever.

Mine as well... First Strike and Ghosts of Onyx were also some damn quality reading.

Was Nylund involved in any of the recent Halo games?

"Locked in a conference room with key creatives all day, having to re-write the story on a AAA game after cutting one-third of the levels (not the first, or last, time this would happen)."

Given that various Bungie heads have said the third act of Halo 2 was chopped off the end to get it out the door, I'm going to assume this refers to Halo 2

That's what I gathered. Still hurts to this day. I wonder if he's gonna go to Bungie.

Edit:
So, what’s next?

I’m moving on to create something truly extraordinary. New company. Bold vision. Entertainment for the 21st century.

Stay tuned for details.

IHaveIce

Banned

Did you read that Jason Jones said in the interview nowadays he would like to talk again about the original ending?

Edit Yeah good call what did he do all the years?

FyreWulff

Did you read that Jason Jones said in the interview nowadays he would like to talk again about the original ending?

Edit Yeah good call what did he do all the years?

Nope. That sounds interesting though. I'm careful to not hype it up too much in my mind, because you can almost assume some of the dialogue is going to be lines reused for Halo 3. We already know of one, the "prophet not a plague" Arbiter line.

Madness

A group like Respawn can use him for TitanFall especially since they are setting up a new game that's multiplayer only. Very hard to build a new universe without a proper introduction/single player.

Ken

True, you could say that it doesn't really need single player gameplay for the fact that it's multiplayer features will indeed have story and setup and events etc.

but the MP features don't have a stories or events. you just knock down towers and blow up their base.

they just add some lore to characters and bam, universe

Purplemage

Neo Member
So wait, which of the perks is gonna be locked behind the paywall? Do we even know if they're just gonna be given to all players or have to be unlocked in some form?

Ghazi

So do we have any idea at all what the patch will do aside from adding the perks, if anything at all?

edit: lol if Nylund left and joined Bungie

yo halo waypoint i know you accepting fanart right now

when you gonna accept fan fiction

i got some hot sticky creative juices pent up i could use on a didact/master builder fic for u

G17

Was there a reason Nylund didn't do the Kilo-Five trilogy? It was a direct sequel to the work he did so I wonder why he wasn't the one writing it.

Atsumi

yo halo waypoint i know you accepting fanart right now

when you gonna accept fan fiction

i got some hot sticky creative juices pent up i could use on a didact/master builder fic for u

I'm slightly relieved that last sentence didn't go where I thought it was going.

Top Bottom