• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Ramirez

I still don't understand how someone who worked on a PSP Socom game became the lead multiplayer design for Microsoft's flagship franchise. I'm sure Kevin did fine on Socom, but I really don't see how that decision was reached. Total mismatch.

Probably because he hated Halo! Perfect match.

Every time I'm forced into Infinity CTF, and I see a team dropping ordnances with OS & Speed Boost out the ass I die a little inside. Then I think of his tweet saying how he knows it isn't balanced, but man is it fun!

No, no it's not fun.

Since the focus testing talk a little while back with a canned weapon and some other changed bits, it makes me think that they do too much internal testing thinking it's the best thing they can do, plus they seem to have too much of an eye on 'casual players' and call of duty.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Probably because he hated Halo! Perfect match.

Every time I'm forced into Infinity CTF, and I see a team dropping ordnances with OS & Speed Boost out the ass I die a little inside. Then I think of his tweet saying how he knows it isn't balanced, but man is it fun!

No, no it's not fun.

It is fun, it's just not classic Halo. I've always been for Infinity living on in a playlist along-side Fiesta or BTB Heavies. Shouldn't be the main focus though.

Gui_PT

I just got called out by Quinn in a Twitch chat because I said it should be BR starts.

He said if I want BR starts that bad I should check out Throwdown it is out for months.

Seriously?

Seems to be a standard Microsoft employee response. "Screw you"

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Seems to be a standard Microsoft employee response. "Screw you"

It really sounds more like he said "If you want BR starts try out team throwdown, it's been out for months now."

Which is a bit different from "screw you" and more akin to "try the other hardcore playlist we made just for those who wanted it."

Doesn't address the issue at hand, but still.

Madness

They should have at least given pistol as secondary. I don't think it's going to be that big a problem like many are saying. At best, you would be without a rifle if you die, for what? 30 seconds at the maximum if they have them littered around the arena?

Plus the fact it's easier to die in H4 means a lot of people will be respawning with AR as well.

It is going to turn into those vehemently against AR starts and those who don't really mind because it's better than infinity.

Though I don't understand, they spent all that time tuning the BR, making it 4sk, why not make it primary? Yes we have throwdown, but why should all playlists play independent of each other? We're trying to recapture classic Halo here.

Also Quinn wasn't in charge of Gears 3 multiplayer, he was just a map designer then. He was in charge of Judgment multiplayer and is responsible for the changes, take from that what you will.

Gui_PT

It really sounds more like he said "If you want BR starts try out team throwdown, it's been out for months now."

Which is a bit different from "screw you" and more akin to "try the other hardcore playlist we made just for those who wanted it."

Doesn't address the issue at hand, but still.

Pretty sure he knew he wasn't addressing the issue and that's the problem.

He was basically saying "I'm not going to change MY perfect vision because of someone meaningless like you. Go play this other thing that is kinda like what you want but not at all"

IHaveIce

Banned
I answered I don't want BR starts "that bad", what I want "that bad" is classic Halo team slayer that is good.

I showed him right guys? GUYS?

No seriously the "that bad" really was a weird wording IMO. Well shucks, but whatever I just wanted to test if he would say "we are looking into things" so maybe they would have been a possibility, doesn't seem so.

Playing some halo later.

He was basically saying "I'm not going to change MY perfect vision because of someone meaningless like you. Go play this other thing that is kinda like what you want but not at all"
Don't know if it was his intention, but yes this is exactly how it came off for me and how I felt.

Heres two different parts that make up a great whole, However they arent put together into a single playlist!

HAVE FUN! FUCK YOU!

-343i

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

Or he has no choice, was overruled, and is just trying to be positive about the playlist. Quinn doesn't come off as an ass. I don't see him just saying "fuck off." Who knows though.

It'd be verrrry interesting to see what changes in Halo have to go through at 343 to be approved, and who.

PNut

Banned
Thinking back to AR starts in Halo 3 oh the fucking horror. The playlist is gunna crash and burn just like Halo 4 is.

JackHerer

AR starts? wat

I'm so confused. They've been teasing legendary slayer for months, since the weapon overhaul TU. I was expecting something way more unique than this. Anyone could have gone into custom games and made this game type. How the hell did it take them this long to make this and why have they been hyping it up so much?

Here's some ideas for what they could have done to make this playlist interesting:

No Sprint

A few forge Maps specifically designed for no sprint (remakes even).

Modify pistol to 3 shot similar to the anniversary settings with reduced bloom

Maybe even add descoping. I know this one is unlikely but the others are completely doable.

I don't know, just do something that makes this gametype even mildy unique and interesting that would tempt me to put the disc in my xbox again, even for just a few hours.

Kind of wish that more play types had forced 10 second spawns like CTF has, rumble pit is so messy right now, big team works alright but the minimum spawn time should be 5 seconds across the board. Starting to feel my 2nd burn out of this game again.

Still need to pop 3 in and replay it's multiplayer, going back to reach felt really good.

Gears is dead, dude. Halo is next. Bungie is gone forever.

Gears is more alive than Halo. We know Halo is dead since that is the developer for the future. For gears the original team can still make it, we will see. cliff and rod left but the majority are still there, the question is if they will want to continue to make them.

Booties

Banned
I mean when Bungie was still with Microsoft. Bungie left since they wanted to do another game and put Halo to the side. MS could have let them do that and then make Halo afterwards.

They said they don't want to make any more halo games. It seems they saw how bad it would be working for MS when they owned the IP to halo so they jumped ship.

Booties

Banned
Gears is more alive than Halo. We know Halo is dead since that is the developer for the future. For gears the original team can still make it, we will see. cliff and rod left but the majority are still there, the question is if they will want to continue to make them.

What are you babbling about?

http://majornelson.com/2013/06/26/live-activity-for-week-of-june-17/

I see two halo games before I see gears, buddy. Halo 3 is gonna be above it as well. Cliffy is a douche and knows that it's over. Why do you think he left?

What are you babbling about?

http://majornelson.com/2013/06/26/live-activity-for-week-of-june-17/

I see two halo games before I see gears, buddy. Halo 3 is gonna be above it as well. Cliffy is a douche and knows that it's over. Why do you think he left?

Gears is smaller than Halo as a franchise, i know it wont be played as much as any halo. I look at it in terms of if the franchise has a chance to be good again. I give gears another chance ,it depends who is making gears 4. You're probably right though,sad since its my favorite two franchises for xbox.

Booties

Banned
Gears is smaller than Halo as a franchise, i know it wont be played as much as any halo. I look at it in terms of if the franchise has a chance to be good again. I give gears another chance ,it depends who is making gears 4. You're probably right though,sad since its my favorite two franchises for xbox.

Maybe, I really don't see it happening for them though. The last two games didn't fare well at all.

I get that Spartans should be strong enough to punch Jackal's skulls out of their faces, but maybe they deliberately hold back their super-strength using melee attacks. It could break their guns if they tried going Super Saiyan Spartan IV on everyone's asses.

Bless you Tashi for opening with Motherboard.

At least we're arguing about AR vs BR instead of begging for Infinity to be changed. Slowly going the right direction...

I mean when Bungie was still with Microsoft. Bungie left since they wanted to do another game and put Halo to the side. MS could have let them do that and then make Halo afterwards.

Well, first off they wanted their independence as a studio regardless of Halo.

They said that they didn't consider signing a publishing deal with MSFT because one of their priorities was to go multiplatform with their next franchise.

mhi

No sprint is the really crime here. They probably tried but couldn't get it right cuz of the shitty maps designed around shitty gameplay decisions.

I might not be Halo 5 or 6, but they'll learn.

Shadders

I know this isn't a popular opinion, but I always preferred AR starts in Halo 3, not because I liked using the AR, but because once I'd grabbed one of the many BRs on all the maps I could mop up AR scrubs with ease. BR starts are fine, but it means most encounters are BR vs BR. AR starts gives much more variety because people have had to pick up other weapons.

I'm really looking forward to Legendary Slayer, it's making me very nostalgic.

I know this isn't a popular opinion, but I always preferred AR starts in Halo 3, not because I liked using the AR, but because once I'd grabbed one of the many BRs on all the maps I could mop up AR scrubs with ease. BR starts are fine, but it means most encounters are BR vs BR. AR starts gives much more variety because people have had to pick up other weapons.

Found an AR start bro.

Shadders

Found an AR start bro.

YArXAwE.jpg

Gui_PT

"I like AR starts because it's easier to kill poor fools that spawn with an AR and that way I can feel like I'm good at the game"

-Gaming 2013

Defect

I remember when I was bad at Halo and I kept Ar starts in dubs so the 50's would get pissed. I would play like an asshole and camp and let them rush. We won about 1/2 our matches. Then I got good at Halo and used the br.

Shadders

But only now did I find out there are people who would sacrifice fun in exchange for feeling like they're good at a game

I blame by naiveness

You should feel like a bad person btw

You're disregarding what I said about variety though, variety is fun. You also seem to think that fun and winning/feeling like I'm good at the game are mutually exclusive.

Top Bottom