• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Karl2177

"Perk: Explosives"

ughhhhhh

"Perk: Resupply"

Why wasn't there an option to have this not take up a perk spot? Also why can't any of the perks be added as a custom option? :/

When I think of Legendary slayer I think of halo 2 BR starts without sprint, grenade pick ups, no random weapon drops and map placed power ups.

Why are they trying to make legendary slayer sound like halo 1 without a secondary? if you want halo 1 gameplay just play the reach anniversary playlist, it's perfect.

Swap AR with BR and disable sprint and you might have something.

It can literally be done by changing, like, one byte.
Uh no?

First it requires half a year of fan requests to be picked up by Customer Support.
It is then sent to Design to make sure the idea fits into the sandbox.
Then, it must be analyzed by Engineering to determine the feasibility.
Next it is passed to Finance to determine budget allocations.
If money can be found, it is passed to Marketing to determine how to recoup those funds through advertising partnerships.
Then it is passed to the Community Managers to tease in bulletins.
Then months need to pass by to build anticipation.
During that time, Engineering will change that "like, one byte".
Then the patch will be sent to Test to check for bugs.
Then it is passed to Microsoft Studios for focus testing.
If focus tests are positive, it is officially announced in the next week's bulletin.
The patch is then sent to Microsoft Certification for testing, it passes after 2 weeks.
A month later, 8 community members need to be flown in for a Twitch stream, featuring developer commentary.
It is then released the following Monday.

Gosh!

It's not about whether or not the AR is improved, it obviously is in 4. The problem is that even with improvements, you're severely gimped against anyone who will have a BR/DMR/Carbine. The on map rifles will probably have some brilliant respawn time of every 1:30 or something stupid as well, you know they'll fuck that up too.

Not giving you a pistol secondary seems really weird, it's a very good weapon in halo 4 IMO and is kind of needed, without it you have mini slayer with full size spartans.

Just over 100 people in the DLC playlist.

Can we please make the DLC free and required across all playlists, now? At least Majestic and Castle? Do they even sell any more at this point? I still LOL at Halo 3 DLC being full price to this day ~5 years later.

Not giving you a pistol secondary seems really weird, it's a very good weapon in halo 4 IMO and is kind of needed, without it you have mini slayer with full size spartans.

Without it you have people spawn trapping you harder than they ever have before. The pistol is like the jesus spawn weapon to balance everything else. Spawning with just an automatic weapon in 2013, people. We've been over this a trillion and a half times.

gif3bqadk.gif

BR Slayer. Quintessential Halo 101 basic classic Legendary gameplay right there.

--

Proper Slayer

110 days ago, at PAX East, we announced that we were working on a new playlist named Proper Slayer. After much iteration over the past 110 days, discussion and private in-house playtesting without a beta playlist for community feedback like we did for Reach, we’re excited to announce that it is (almost!) here and (almost!) ready for your enjoyment. Proper Slayer is a variant that focuses on basic gameplay that everyone liked in previous Halo games with no loadouts, on-map weapons and motion tracker enabled. Basically Team Slayer from all the previous Halo games. Here are the key settings:

4 vs. 4 Slayer and symmetrical Objective
Default starting weapon (Battle Rifle or AR+Pistol starts, 50/50 splits for community testing purposes)
No Armor Abilities
No Sprint
Motion Tracker enabled
All weapons and grenades located on map (no initial, random or personal ordnance)

The singular not loadout is:
Starting weapon: Battle Rifle or AR
Secondary weapon: Pistol
Armor Ability: None
Grenades: Frag x2
Support upgrade: Explosives
Tactical package: Resupply

We’re excited to deliver a brand-new experience to Halo 4 Matchmaking that will focus on even starting weapons and map control, with players fighting to gain control of all rifles, power weapons and each map’s power positions. The Legendary Slayer playlist will temporarily replace Infinity Slayer at the top of the list just for the fuck of it, and launches Monday, July 15, on the following maps, which have been custom-created specifically for this playlist:

Haven
Solari
Adrift
Simplex
Landfall
Monolith
Skyline
Shutout

Future, Day 1 on release:
Pitfall
Vertigo

We will release overhead views of the map changes and weapon placements shortly before they go live in the playlist on Monday. Most of you in the community would do this for free, and probably will, anyway, but we'd rather not send you in blind. We will also be releasing these changes in a Legendary BTB playlist that will replace BTB Objective and will feature a mix of Slayer and sane Objective gametypes without Settler.

Trey

Where would we be without the folks at 343?

Where would Halo be?

Something I think about everyday.

It would be exactly where it was when Bungie left it. Some skeleton crew would keep the lights on and it would be a dead franchise.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Just saw the news. Fucking wow. There goes the ounce of faith I had in 343.

malfcn

Just over 100 people in the DLC playlist.

Can we please make the DLC free and required across all playlists, now? At least Majestic and Castle? Do they even sell any more at this point? I still LOL at Halo 3 DLC being full price to this day ~5 years later.

But that DLC for Halo 3 will be tempting when the game is free with Games with Gold.

Trey

Didn't know Nylund had all those degrees. Chemical Physics! Impressive.

With Greg Bear's trilogy wrapped up and Nylund bowing out for good, I shudder with the knowledge that Karen Traviss is the sole steward of Halo's literary presence.

In about 40 matches from BTB and team slayer over this last week I have been on a DLC map about twice, the DLC playlist has sub 100 in it most of the time I am online so it's a little sad that my CE code for the maps has more or less gone to completely waste unless I play private or in that small pool.

Map packs really should be free, sell everything else but don't split up what keeps a game interesting and new, in this day and age where nearly every single shooter out there has map packs there is way too many games spreading people thin, this isn't the halo 2 days of being one of the only shooters to sell maps to people and it worked.

Where would we be without the folks at 343?

Where would Halo be?

Something I think about everyday.

The problem is 343 has hired all the wrong people.

Kevin Franklin as lead multiplayer designer? Really? He worked on four games before Halo 4.

Kynan Pearson as lead MP map designer? He was a designer on Metroid Prime before iirc.

Josh Holmes as creative director, didn't he work on Turok 2008 before Halo 4?

I'm sure they are all good people, but it's clear they aren't the best people for their positions.

You have guys like John Howard or Jaime Griesemer you could probably convince to come in with the right amount of $$$(and we all know that isn't a problem for Microsoft). I mean Howard is already at MS doing something else, why not try to get him to work on Halo?

Kynan Pearson might have had a better fit for single player (if the game was not as linear as it is) the MP maps right now don't quite feel right.

Defect

Did you really think they were going to remove sprint. It's one of the things they have never mentioned considering removing, because they consider it to be part of the core gameplay of H4.

If they are going to make a classic (Halo 3) gametype, which is obviously what they are going for, they should've at least CONSIDERED disabling sprint.

Tawpgun

It's a confusing thought process though. They clearly must have tested BR starts and someone must have not liked it. Then they tested ar with pistol and it didn't fly either. The people there must really love the shitty starting weapon philosophy.

The easiest option by far is to add BR starts as a voting option like in 3 and reach. Unless they are shoving legendary slayer into the infinity slayer list as a voting option...

ROFL

Hail Britannia
Kynan Pearson might have had a better fit for single player (if the game was not as linear as it is) the MP maps right now don't quite feel right.

Kynan came on board after 343's MP maps were already designed (and is no longer at Microsoft). CA's maps were all designed from the ground up by CA.
Just because some has a "Lead" title, especially at MS, don't assume you can automatically attribute some sort of direct responsibility for "their maps sux!" etc.

Kynan came on board after 343's MP maps were already designed (and is no longer at Microsoft). CA's maps were all designed from the ground up by CA.
Just because some has a "Lead" title, especially at MS, don't assume you can automatically attribute some sort of direct responsibility for "their maps sux!" etc.

True but if you are going to take that position you should be prepared to be related to that product, aka the MP maps, worked on it or not you are seen as the lead guy.

I've really not played much of the dlc maps.

The problem is 343 has hired all the wrong people.

Kevin Franklin as lead multiplayer designer? Really? He worked on four games before Halo 4.

Kynan Pearson as lead MP map designer? He was a designer on Metroid Prime before iirc.

Josh Holmes as creative director, didn't he work on Turok 2008 before Halo 4?

I'm sure they are all good people, but it's clear they aren't the best people for their positions.

You have guys like John Howard or Jaime Griesemer you could probably convince to come in with the right amount of $$$(and we all know that isn't a problem for Microsoft). I mean Howard is already at MS doing something else, why not try to get him to work on Halo?

Josh Holmes was pretty much the sole reason for taking the Turok out of Turok. Some straight up bullllshit reading some of those interviews back then as to his vision for the most recent Turok.

RIP Cerebral Bore.

Squiddy is dropping shit bombs from vast heights this morning, I like it!
I am now what I've always hated: a cranky old fucker.

So we'd be better off never playing Halo again? Nah. You can always have Halo where Bungie left it, just don't buy the new games.
I really can't appreciate a game that changes just for the sake of change. I get 343 wanting to put their own stamp on Halo and was really in a "damned if they do, damned if they don't" situation, but everything that has been done with this game comes across as a desire to fundamentally change what Halo has been. Now it's random this, random that, random everything, and the population has undeniably suffered for it. A couple of smart changes/backpedals to a couple gametypes just can't undo the damage this game has caused from release, and LegendARy mode doesn't sound like it will bring any new takers.

"Just don't buy the new game" overlooks the fact that people like myself have been forcibly turned away from this franchise by poor design decisions in every aspect of the game (pretty but incredibly mediocre campaign, forgettable Spartan Ops, removal of features that have been in the game for years, etc). My hope is to give Halo 5 a chance, but I'm far more hesitant to get on board with what they'll be offering.

People don't actually believe this.. He must be trolling.

I don't consider idiocy arguing against simple logic to be a debate.

I'd like to try AR/Magnum starts with the Magnum having 12 shots. I've been bored of the BR since Halo 2 because burst fire weapons in games that aren't instakill feel too inconsistent and weak IMO. One of Halo's biggest mistakes was introducing that inconsistent trash in Halo 2 over advancing/further balancing the single shot beast that was the H1 Pistol.

The history of the BR represents a decent portion of what was always wrong with Halo games after CE (intentional inconsistency in precision weapons, longer kill times, etc.), so it's sad to see it have such a large following. I know I'm in the minority with disliking the BR, but I feel like it's just because the vast majority of people never had the chance to experience the potential of H1's gameplay fundamentals from all sides of the gamer spectrum, ranging from extremely casual to highly competitive players.

I really can't appreciate a game that changes just for the sake of change. I get 343 wanting to put their own stamp on Halo and was really in a "damned if they do, damned if they don't" situation, but everything that has been done with this game comes across as a desire to fundamentally change what Halo has been. Now it's random this, random that, random everything, and the population has undeniably suffered for it. A couple of smart changes/backpedals to a couple gametypes just can't undo the damage this game has caused from release, and LegendARy mode doesn't sound like it will bring any new takers.

"Just don't buy the new game" overlooks the fact that people like myself have been forcibly turned away from this franchise by poor design decisions in every aspect of the game (pretty but incredibly mediocre campaign, forgettable Spartan Ops, removal of features that have been in the game for years, etc). My hope is to give Halo 5 a chance, but I'm far more hesitant to get on board with what they'll be offering.

CA designed 7 of the 10 disc MP maps

*edit* oh you said disc MP, thought you said DLC my mistake. most of the disc maps are annoying.

People don't actually believe this.. He must be trolling.

For a playlist I think it's great, you get a strong pistol, melee's are half in power and you move faster, it's a better classic playlist then anything halo 4 has given us so far.

My memories of halo 1 lan are old now, it's been too long since I played that game more then 1 v 1.

IHaveIce

Banned
I just got called out by Quinn in a Twitch chat because I said it should be BR starts.

He said if I want BR starts that bad I should check out Throwdown it is out for months.

Seriously?

Ramirez

CA designed 7 of the 10 disc MP maps

What 3 didn't they do? Haven, Adrift, & Ragnarok?

Even if I'm wrong, this explains their quality, CA do not make good Halo maps. Haven is the only map in 4 that I would ever consider putting in a classic Halo game, and even it overlooked basic stuff like landmarks/callouts for each side, baffling.

I just got called out by Quinn in a Twitch chat because I said it should be BR starts.

He said if I want BR starts that bad I should check out Throwdown it is out for months.

Seriously?

I see people throwing this guys name around, who is he? Just another name to throw around like he's gonna revive classic Halo?

m23

I see people throwing this guys name around, who is he? Just another name to throw around like he's gonna revive classic Halo?

I think he worked on Gears 3 mp, which I very much enjoyed and I guess people thought he would do some good with Halo.

Ramirez

I think he worked on Gears 3 mp, which I very much enjoyed and I guess people thought he would do some good with Halo.

Gears & Halo are nothing a like though, quite the stretch.

^ Doesn't he kind of have to say that now, even if he doesn't believe it? lol

Fracas

#fuckonami
I still don't understand how someone who worked on a PSP SOCOM game became the lead multiplayer designer for Microsoft's flagship franchise. I'm sure Kevin did fine on SOCOM, but I really don't see how that decision was reached. Total mismatch.

Top Bottom