• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Booties

Banned
should i play halo 4 today

maybe. no one else is, though:

g4bHHdw.png

I can't believe this contest hasn't resulted in a spike. Good marketing as always.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
maybe. no one else is, though:

g4bHHdw.png

I can't believe this contest hasn't resulted in a spike. Good marketing as always.
it's weird how the population fluctuates around 30k

do they pop in the disc to see if there's anything new and quit after a game?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Go watch a Spongebob Squarepants maraton. That show makes you meditate about gamesystems, DLC implementation, short- and longterm goals and why Spongebob is actually a really great game designer.
dude

i fucking love spongebob

you have no idea

Madness

The game pretty much dies when East Coast US sleeps. Drops to below 5k at times even total. They really messed up with Europe. Hardly anyone there plays I guess. Usually during my Halo 3 or Reach marathons, eventually you'd still see strong group of euro players.

It's 343's fault I guess. Wasn't the game locked for many people who hit 50 to only two specializations and for like a month or two after, couldn't even go above SR70?

It's ridiculous. More people WORLDWIDE are playing NBA 2K13 over Halo 4.

FINALLY

JHFerry has come back to HaloGAF!

sry, a little excited after my latest ban. Anyway, LS wouldn't be so bad with less power weapons and a magnum secondary.

It's not rocket science 343...

Purplemage

Neo Member
I've got a wooden energy sword someone got me as a gift from a ren faire, a Portal 2 turret (again a gift) and my dinosaurs, stuffed animals, and fossils from when I was a kid. Don't need any more crap, as cool as some of it is :)

I would do quite a bit for that wooden energy sword. I'm thinking of buying a replica on amazon for a self birthday gift. Any suggestions?

The graph is misleading it fluctuates at 20k avg. throughout the day it peaks at 30k for a couple hours and i dont even know what it valleys at...5-10k later into the night?

However yea, that 30k probably wont go much lower as those are probably 30k of rabid fans who literally are too stupid too realize what they are playing. The kind of people who will continue to rush middle of map or grab flag before downing the other team. Just really bad kids who cant realize they arent having fun. God bless them.

Basically what I'm trying to say is at this point they almost couldnt be doing worse in regards to player retention. Thats terrible. PM me Frankie.

The graph is misleading it fluctuates at 20k avg. throughout the day it peaks at 30k for a couple hours and i dont even know what it valleys at...5-10k later into the night?

However yea, that 30k probably wont go much lower as those are probably 30k of rabid fans who literally are too stupid too realize what they are playing. The kind of people who will continue to rush middle of map or grab flag before downing the other team. Just really bad kids who cant realize they arent having fun. God bless them.

Back in my day we had a name for those people.

I am one of two guys who care about this here, but ThreeA teases one of their San-Diego Comic-Con reveals today:

I love Halo 4's design of the Chief and so I knew they are teasing the Chief because:

I'm excited. ThreeA's Spartan-III/Commander Carter is the first figure which really looks like a Spartan. So I'm pumped that we will hopefully get a faithful recreation of Master Chief with lighting.

I personally hope we can recreate this pose here somehow:

I found the renders at 343i's Senior Character Artist Kyle Hefley's personal blog.

That's true, at first I was like "Oh, this is sort of like bad Halo 3" Why exactly does haven need Rockets anyway? At least give me a freakin Magnum. Not only that but I picked up Rockets and I swear there were 6 in the chamber. I spotted shotguns and swords too.

Second match was on Shutout. Why hell would that map be in an AR start playlist. Again, wouldn't be so bad with a magnum.

Then I lol'd and shut that bullshit off.

I am one of two guys who care about this here, but ThreeA teases one of their San-Diego Comic-Con reveals today:

I love Halo 4's design of the Chief and so I knew they are teasing the Chief because:

I'm excited. ThreeA's Spartan-III/Commander Carter is the first figure which really looks like a Spartan. So I'm pumped that we will hopefully get a faithful recreation of Master Chief with lighting.

I found the renders at 343i's Senior Character Artist Kyle Hefley's personal blog.

halo 4's design of chief is horrible.

Madness

Still prefer the original, just like the maps, they made the armor darker, almost black/green because you apparently can't have neons and bright colors, need gritty, realistic, transformers type dirty armor.

You'd think in a series where even a slight change is noticed and explained aka MK. V to MK. VI, that they'd at least to try to explain it somehow. But no, let's just change it, and then not acknowledge it.

Toddler

Still prefer the original, just like the maps, they made the armor darker, almost black/green because you apparently can't have neons and bright colors, need gritty, realistic, transformers type dirty armor.

You'd think in a series where even a slight change is noticed and explained aka MK. V to MK. VI, that they'd at least to try to explain it somehow. But no, let's just change it, and then not acknowledge it.

This is madness.

Shadders

Played a few games of Legendary Slayer.

If I ever say anything pro-AR starts again, you can all take turns to kick me in the nuts.

A real shame, because there's something in that stripped back, more predictable Halo, unfortunately the thing that I can predict is being charged down with an AR.

Fuchsdh

I don't think it is horrible per se, but

the original has an iconic look to it and it was a mistake to just replace it for no reason (namely the helmet, I'd say). I'd have no problem if it were the MK VII MJOLNIR... but nope. They just changed it for the sake of it (as usual)

Basically this is my complaint with all of Halo 4's art. I'm fine with them taking their new direction for the Spartan IVs, the new ships, etc. But redesigning the Chief's armor, the FUD, turning Jackals into reptiles... that's just needlessly aggravating, and it's doubly annoying when a lot of their new stuff is actually quite good. They just couldn't leave well enough alone...

willow ve

The game pretty much dies when East Coast US sleeps. Drops to below 5k at times even total. They really messed up with Europe. Hardly anyone there plays I guess. Usually during my Halo 3 or Reach marathons, eventually you'd still see strong group of euro players.

It's 343's fault I guess. Wasn't the game locked for many people who hit 50 to only two specializations and for like a month or two after, couldn't even go above SR70?

It's ridiculous. More people WORLDWIDE are playing NBA 2K13 over Halo 4.
I miss the light up map from halo 3.

I like his new armor design but didnt like it in action, like most of the armors in Halo 4.

chief.gif

I know I'm in the minority, but I felt the MC redesign was better in pretty much every way.

I actually agree. Looked better than 3's fucking toybox look. Everything was so colourful, clean and shiny. Looked fucking terrible.

The armour is a huge improvement. Minus those dumb shoulders tho.

They look shit.

I'm debating trying my hand at another map because I got inspired in a dream. If I doodle the approximate layout will you guys critique it? I don't want to pull another Hyacinth and end up shit map creek without a precision editing paddle.

I dunno how many people are close enough to boston for this to be important but I'll post it anyways.

The GameStop in Boston, on Winter St is offering 100% trade-in on everything. So instead of getting absolute shit for trade-ins, you'll actually be getting a good deal. No idea how long this is running for.

Fuchsdh

My big issues with the redesign is Chief's helmet simply isn't as nice in shape or lines, his shoulders seem to box in his helmet and don't really attach to anything in back, and in general he just seems a little too underarmored.

I will say that the loss of the space diaper isn't a big issue for me. In CE he had the grenade belt that sort of covered it but it bothered me in 3 a lot. Hard to make that element look good.

It looks generic and uninspired. They took the crysis suit for the black part and the armor design is arbitrary. it really is a piece of shit bro.

My big issues with the redesign is Chief's helmet simply isn't as nice in shape or lines, his shoulders seem to box in his helmet and don't really attach to anything in back, and in general he just seems a little too underarmored.

I will say that the loss of the space diaper isn't a big issue for me. In CE he had the grenade belt that sort of covered it but it bothered me in 3 a lot. Hard to make that element look good.

Is more like you can see more his inner black layer, It needs a more exoesqueleton design rather than accesories floating around him.

willow ve

I know I'm in the minority, but I felt the MC redesign was better in pretty much every way.

Except for the built in jetpack, I agree. Although I do see that it could look more like fully enclosed armor (not sure if that's necessary as it's protected by the shielding... but it still looks a bit visually open).

Fuchsdh

Is more like you can see more his inner black layer, It needs a more exoesqueleton design rather than accesories floating around him.

Yeah that's a bit weird too, I guess it's a side-effect for how they rigged him? (Almost might have to do with making armor variants not as problematic.)

Except for the built in jetpack, I agree. Although I do see that it could look more like fully enclosed armor (not sure if that's necessary as it's protected by the shielding... but it still looks a bit visually open).

+1

Like others have said, would have been fine with this being his suit in Halo 5 or whatever. Was just a jerky move to switch it on us for no canon reason.

FyreWulff

It was disappointing that they were going 'everything is going to be canon and make sense and be logical" then handwaved the new armor in. They could have waited for the Infinity to pick him up and then give him the new armor, or upgrade it.

Either it was cost, they would have had to make two principal-level Chief models for one game, and one of them would have been only used for the beginning. Or they wanted to save the swap-out for the end just so they could have the face reveal..

.. although it does not make sense why his armor is all ruined in the One trailer if he had it swapped out at the end of 4.

Mix

It was disappointing that they were going 'everything is going to be canon and make sense and be logical" then handwaved the new armor in. They could have waited for the Infinity to pick him up and then give him the new armor, or upgrade it.

Either it was cost, they would have had to make two principal-level Chief models for one game, and one of them would have been only used for the beginning. Or they wanted to save the swap-out for the end just so they could have the face reveal..

.. although it does not make sense why his armor is all ruined in the One trailer if he had it swapped out at the end of 4.

The principal of the Xbox One trailer was to let you know that a halo game was coming to the next console, it wasn't necessarily for Halo 5, but more so to show you in a 2 minute time frame that the chief is going through a lot and that he's gone rouge.

Booshka

The principal of the Xbox One trailer was to let you know that a halo game was coming to the next console, it wasn't necessarily for Halo 5, but more so to show you in a 2 minute time frame that the chief is going through a lot and that he's gone rouge.

I was hoping Master Chief would be going rogue in Halo 4, then the UNSC showed up again and it was typical Halo, except not fun to play and with a terrible story.

I assume it will be the same for, "The next installment in the award winning billion dollar franchise" or whatever the fuck they call it.

Going rogue looks cool for 30 second teaser trailers, but it's probably not indicative of the full game.

Edit: @wwMonkey, just bought it, always wanted to play it, I like the clean look of it in that pic. If you could PM me some mods to make it look that awesome, it would be greatly appreciated.

Fuchsdh

Well 343 hasn't done anything to the level of Reach. They've been very good about tying the fiction together and making things consistent going forward...

...it's just that consistency doesn't extend to the actual visuals, which I find really bizarre. I guess the former is more important, but that won't stop me about whining about the latter every time this topic comes up! :)

I don't mind the armor as much as I do the bodysuit. For being a thousand-pound tank-flipping machine, he looks way too skinny. Especially when you consider that in addition to having a shitton of muscle mass, he's supposed to be packing what amounts to a waterbed full of dilithium crystals in the bodysuit as well as kinetic interpolation gel and all sorts of other spacebabble.

Fuchsdh

I don't mind the armor as much as I do the bodysuit. For being a thousand-pound tank-flipping machine, he looks way too skinny. Especially when you consider that in addition to having a shitton of muscle mass, he's supposed to be packing what amounts to a waterbed full of dilithium crystals in the bodysuit as well as kinetic interpolation gel and all sorts of other spacebabble.

Not to say you're wrong, but the augmentation procedures basically mean you don't have to be a hulking superhero to have the super-strength. The real strength comes from the fact that they're in the armor and have the reflexes and unbreakable bones to survive it. You'd have to do some really detailed comparisons to be sure, but I'm pretty sure the Chief isn't much less bulky than before, it's just the differences in armor making it appear more pronounced.

Top Bottom