• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

I don't mind the armor as much as I do the bodysuit. For being a thousand-pound tank-flipping machine, he looks way too skinny. Especially when you consider that in addition to having a shitton of muscle mass, he's supposed to be packing what amounts to a waterbed full of dilithium crystals in the bodysuit as well as kinetic interpolation gel and all sorts of other spacebabble.

I like the new MC design aesthetically but functionally it leaves a lot to be desired e.g. no mid section to take the weight from John. It is a very flawed design physics-wise and not very suit like, it seems more like strapped on sections supported by anti-gravity magic.

I totally understand "the why" in terms of animation, modelling and physic/interaction engineers though. They wanted to free up the character model/rigging so I totally accept all of what they did in the name of a more agile and fluid Chief/Spartan IV's in game and cut-scenes.

Ramirez

Monkey, link those mods you're using. The one I installed completely broke the audio and didn't even come close to looking that good.

wwm0nkey

Monkey, link those mods you're using. The one I installed completely broke the audio and didn't even come close to looking that good.

Link to the mods im using put in your "/ss2/DMM" folder and use THIS to find the install folder and click which mods you would like to use. As for audio, here is a huge file of high quality music, just put in your DMM folder as well.

Would recommend a re-install if your audio is still fucked up after you deleted the mods.

Also the wrench textures wont work for me though for some odd reason :(

EDIT: Never mind, just take those weapon folders I posted and then take the obj folders in them and put it into /SS2/DataPermMods. they will auto combine when you drag them in one at a time.
EDIT2: This applies to any folder with only a "obj" folder inside of it, ignore if it also has FAM and ect inside.

blamite

Since I remember some of you guys saying you liked BS1 and Infinite a lot, System Shock 2 is on Steam for $2.50 for the rest of the day and its awesome! Looks really good with some mods as well :)

Already bought it, but is there anything I should now about the first System Shock before I play this one or will I be alright without it?

wwm0nkey

Already bought it, but is there anything I should now about the first System Shock before I play this one or will I be alright without it?

Not really, explains the story in the first 15 seconds anyways lol

Also I updated that mod guide I put up, got gun textures working!

Ramirez

Link to the mods im using put in your "/ss2/DMM" folder and use THIS to find the install folder and click which mods you would like to use. As for audio, here is a huge file of high quality music, just put in your DMM folder as well.

Would recommend a re-install if your audio is still fucked up after you deleted the mods.

Also the wrench textures wont work for me though for some odd reason :(

EDIT: Never mind, just take those weapon folders I posted and then take the obj folders in them and put it into /SS2/DataPermMods. they will auto combine when you drag them in one at a time.

Cool, thanks.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I know I'm in the minority, but I felt the MC redesign was better in pretty much every way.
Yup, I like it a lot. I either like or feel neutral about most of the redesigns in Halo 4. The only ones I really don't like are the jackals and, to a lesser extent, the grunts.

TCKaos

Well 343 hasn't done anything to the level of Reach. They've been very good about tying the fiction together and making things consistent going forward...

...it's just that consistency doesn't extend to the actual visuals, which I find really bizarre. I guess the former is more important, but that won't stop me about whining about the latter every time this topic comes up! :)

Well, the first thing they did was make the Forerunner a separate race of aliens as opposed to ancient humanity. There's always that cosmic retcon out of nowhere.

I am one of two guys who care about this here, but ThreeA teases one of their San-Diego Comic-Con reveals today:

I love Halo 4's design of the Chief and so I knew they are teasing the Chief because:

I'm excited. ThreeA's Spartan-III/Commander Carter is the first figure which really looks like a Spartan. So I'm pumped that we will hopefully get a faithful recreation of Master Chief with lighting.

I personally hope we can recreate this pose here somehow:

I found the renders at 343i's Senior Character Artist Kyle Hefley's personal blog.

This is awesome, can't wait to see the product and price!

Also, that blog is a treasure trove of cool art stuff.. Its interesting to see how MC changed from the reveal to the final game:

opdd38Q.jpg
AkWx2zN.jpg

Also, its also a depressing reminder of what 343 did to the Grunts:

Cool art, great detail, etc... but the old school grunts were way more unique than these monstrous things.

Madness

I don't know, I even prefer 343's version of the MK VI to their redesign.

228px-Mark_VI_Armor_Set.png

The other changes I don't like are the Jackals, Grunts and Elites who look almost like they are identical species now, just different sizes. Plus the UNSC logo. Turned it into like a 'Merica eagle with a shield and wings as opposed to the god like figure that was more 'native' inspired and had the globe.

Omni

I don't know, I even prefer 343's version of the MK VI to their redesign.

228px-Mark_VI_Armor_Set.png

The other changes I don't like are the Jackals, Grunts and Elites who look almost like they are identical species now, just different sizes. Plus the UNSC logo. Turned it into like a 'Merica eagle with a shield and wings as opposed to the god like figure that was more 'native' inspired and had the globe.
Their version of the original MK VI looks weird. The proportions are off... Plus the body armour is too [compartmentalised?] in contrast to the original, IMO.

Madness

Yeah, it looks weird. I'd prefer the original MK. VI as well. But I'd still take this over the redesign. Maybe it's the familiarity I guess.

To be honest, I just don't even care about the story, the lore now. H4 killed it for me. They can change up anything they want now. All I care about is basically the multiplayer now. And even that's not looking too hopeful.

Fuchsdh

Halo 4 retconned the entire Forerunner part of the story.

That's a little more of a swerve than a ship plausibly making a stop to the surface of Reach.

Bungie might have intended for Forerunners = Human, but there was plenty of wiggle room to change it, and Greg Bear's books are amazing. Reach trashed the best Halo novel at the time so they could tell a mediocre story about Spartans no one cared about.

Reach's retcons are far worse than the PoA.

It looks generic and uninspired. They took the crysis suit for the black part and the armor design is arbitrary. it really is a piece of shit bro.
Generic? Show me what else you think it looks like, bromato juice.

.. although it does not make sense why his armor is all ruined in the One trailer if he had it swapped out at the end of 4.
What makes you think he's getting it swapped out and not just simply having it taken off?

Has 343i hired that Juices fellow yet? He seems very well liked and the people seem to be clamoring for his talent to be apart of the 343i team.

Bungie might have intended for Forerunners = Human, but there was plenty of wiggle room to change it, and Greg Bear's books are amazing. Reach trashed the best Halo novel at the time so they could tell a mediocre story about Spartans no one cared about.

Reach's retcons are far worse than the PoA.

They should have made a First strike game.

Tawpgun

It grew on me. But I still think the others feel much more unique and iconic.

Iconic is a bit of a buzzword but a lot of the halo 4 redesigns made once iconic things a bit more generic ie jackals, grunts, frigates, etc.

Worst looking part of the new halo 4 spartan design to me is the legs, I prefer to see chunky boots instead of some weird 3-piece shoe which looks like it's stuck to the spartan with double sided tape, seems impractical for a spartan on the move so often.

At least they removed all those plug sockets from the chief render in the final build.

Karl2177

I want to know where all of the outlets went to between concept and the final design. He was a reliable source of power beforehand.

It looks generic and uninspired. They took the crysis suit for the black part and the armor design is arbitrary. it really is a piece of shit bro.
How the hell does it look generic?

I mean that's generic:

Or look at this:

The Master Chief looks still unique to them.

BUT OH NO! He has a Nano Suit! Oh yes. But that's only one part of the armor... the rest still looks unique and still like the Chief.

no bullets hans

Neo Member
Just jumping in, but I've been playing Halo since the Xbox launch and I never once thought the Forerunners were going to be an ancient human race.

Humanoid, always, but never strictly human.

Fotos

I hope they bring the real Battle Rifle back in Halo 5.

I don't understand why the look of the BR, Shotgun, and Sniper have all been changed to a more future look but all the other weapons look the same.

The thing is, Reach could have easily fitt into the canon, if some minor changes were made to the timeline they showed at the beginning of each mission, some of the dialogue and the PoA mission. Have the missions prior to Exodus take place 2 days before the invasion of Reach as stated in First Strike, and the rest during the invasion. The Pillar of Autumn could have remained in space, and instead, a longsword (maybe with captain Keys in it) could have swooped down and picked up the Cortana fragment.

I think that could kinda fixed most of Reach's canon issues.

Fuchsdh

The thing is, Reach could have easily fitt into the canon, if some minor changes were made to the timeline they showed at the beginning of each mission, some of the dialogue and the PoA mission. Have the missions prior to Exodus take place 2 days before the invasion of Reach as stated in First Strike, and the rest during the invasion. The Pillar of Autumn could have remained in space, and instead, a longsword (maybe with captain Keys in it) could have swooped down and picked up the Cortana fragment.

Yeah every fan has provided easy plausible explanations for what they could have done...
They just didn't, and we haven't ever gotten a real explanation why it was necessary.

I hope they bring the real Battle Rifle back in Halo 5.

I don't understand why the look of the BR, Shotgun, and Sniper have all been changed to a more future look but all the other weapons look the same.

I think its time for weapons accesories, want a burst magnum mod so bad.

How much time passes in the entire Halo Reach time? 3 months? Why they let pass so much time and put you in the very end where more of the big battles passed and you just go for turning off some generators.

DId the fall of reach lasted that long?

Top Bottom