• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Computron

Halo Reach Legendary Firefight Classic on Holdout:

io7Jsg5k7tlTO.png

I've been LAN'ing this at my brothers house for the last several days and it's freaking awesome.

Why did they have to replace this with SpOps? I hope it comes back...

Many of the game mechanics and AAs added in Halo 4 that may have been disliked would be welcomed additions to firefight.

For example, HLS, Sentry, and PromVis would all be perfect for firefight.
The tactical packages and support upgrades could also easily factor into some kind of a survival metagame.
A lot of the Dominion gametype specific features appear tailor made for FF.
Ordnance Drops too, I don't think I need to say more.
And lets not forget all the new enemy types introduced in the Halo 4 sandbox.
I am sure there are a few I missed.

What would be some good mechanics for a new Halo Firefight co-op survival game?
  • Building up barricades like in Gears Horde (Dominion sheild doors)?
  • Recruiting/hacking promethean watchers to hold a shield for you?
  • Buying chaingun/rocket/rail turrets for your initially passenger-only hog?
  • Picking up shards of AAs from slain covenant squad leaders?
  • Buying AAs, TacPacs and SupUpgrs?
  • MAC Cannon orbital strike?

I'd love to hear some ideas.

Score booster? There are so many jokes I want to make about this game, but at the same time it makes me too sad to even bother.

Don't most mobile/tablet games do this? I know something like 75%+ on iPhone & iPad do in app purchases (microtransactions). Am I missing something? I'm forever telling my son no and avoiding his questions for the password to buy app/in app purchases.

What kind of specs do you need to run Spartan Assault? Can I run it at 1080p 60 frames? Here are my specs.

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770 @ 340GHz
RAM: 8 GBs of RAM
GPU: AMD Radeon 7570

Can I run this game?

Haha, just joking. Buying the game now off the Store, hope it's good. Anyone know if buy this for my Desktop, will I have to rebuy it on my Windows Phone (when I get one in a few months?)

On the subject of firefight, how about a flood bonus round where the bodies of all the enemies you just killed in a round are reanimated into carrier and combat forms? that would be neat.

Don't most mobile/tablet games do this? I know something like 75%+ on iPhone & iPad do in app purchases (microtransactions). Am I missing something?

They do, you're right. My comment wasn't pointed specifically at this game, just the state of games in general. People can't be bothered to actually play games anymore, they now just pay extra money to have the game complete itself and tell the player that they're awesome. Although, it's worth noting it's slightly more forgivable for other mobile games because they aren't $7.

But still, pay to win is lame. Just make a game that people want to get good at, rather than making a game as a front for microtransactions.

They do, you're right. My comment wasn't pointed specifically at this game, just the state of games in general these. People can't be bothered to actually play games anymore, they now just pay extra money to have the game complete itself and tell the player that they're awesome. Although, it's worth noting it's slightly more forgivable for other mobile games because they aren't $7. But still, pay to win is lame.

I do have to agree I don't like this micro-pay to unlock or win business model. I avoid in game purchases but I do appreciate paying for DLC such as Castle or Majestic for example. However for a pick up and play in short bursts I'm not overly fussed the option to pay is there, same as any mobile game I occasionally play.

I really like/prefer the steam method of members voting for what comes next. Halo should do that through Waypoint for future DLC. Send up various paper draft only settings, playlists, concept art etc and have Halo fans vote on what to actually invest resources in.

I'd pay an additional subscription to give weight to my fan opinion as such.

Halo Reach Legendary Firefight Classic on Holdout:

What would be some good mechanics for a new Halo Firefight co-op survival game?
  • Building up barricades like in Gears Horde (Dominion sheild doors)?
  • Recruiting/hacking promethean watchers to hold a shield for you?
  • Buying chaingun/rocket/rail turrets for your initially passenger-only hog?
  • Picking up shards of AAs from slain covenant squad leaders?
  • Buying AAs, TacPacs and SupUpgrs?
  • MAC Cannon orbital strike?

I'd love to hear some ideas.

Some ideas:
  • Interactive elements, shield doors or standard physical doors/windows/gates with activate/deactivate buttons.
  • AI enemy/ally pathway mapping, you simply edit a spline curve or use your Spartan/monitor to make an editable or branching path with some rudimentary choices/keyframe type stuff. I'm sure the devs are itching to get creative in the next gen abilities.
  • Lighting and weather effects. Imagine a wind torn map that makes you move slow against the wind or speeds you up when going with the wind. Same can go for water dynamics. Could also have vision impairing elements like sandstorms that blow through and drop your shields plus low vision for a brief time.
  • Destructible elements, much like interactive elements above so the Forge/Firefight enables bases with exploding walls or reactors etc. In Forge you could set what objects are destructible/indestructible.
  • Target assassination/acquire missions, could be done all guns blazing (co-op) or solo stealth based.
  • Multi-step ideas such as jam/take down communications/scanners and then infiltrate an enemy base. Perhaps when in co-op force players to use a distraction method elsewhere to draw enemies away from a primary target etc.
  • Dynamic or semi-dynamic map generation, not as far fetched as it would seem.
  • Encounter a Forerunner AI where you have to take out Forerunner spawn bases and then blow generators for the AI etc. That or capture an AI where you have to retrieve a container, assault, defend while extracting and then escape.
  • Definitely the dominion style upgrading and fortification is worthy of stepping up a notch or two. If that can be added to Forge all the better for re-playability.

But someone from their studio provided those assets.

There is a real misunderstanding of how involved the developer is in outsourced work. It's not like you send an email and forget about it until it's done. Collaboration, direction, management, digital assets, testing, marketing, Q&A, licensing blah blah blah.

I want to see more Firefight enemies with unconventional weapons like the Heretics. Drones with Sentinel Beams, Jackals with Shotguns, Grunts in Brute Chieftan armor...

I don't see the hate for the Micro transactions, the game will play the same with or without you buying them, just buying them gives you a "headstart" and makes the game easier for you, which doesn't matter because it isn't a competitive multiplayer game, so I really don't see the problem with Micro Transactions.

DeadNames

Banned
I don't see the hate for the Micro transactions, the game will play the same with or without you buying them, just buying them gives you a "headstart" and makes the game easier for you, which doesn't matter because it isn't a competitive multiplayer game, so I really don't see the problem with Micro Transactions.

IIRC, buying the laser or something only lasts for one round right?

Sounds like a rip off.

Blueblur1

There is a real misunderstanding of how involved the developer is in outsourced work. It's not like you send an email and forget about it until it's done. Collaboration, direction, management, digital assets, testing, marketing, Q&A, licensing blah blah blah.
Are you addressing me or Juices with that post?

GhaleonEB

On the subject of firefight, how about a flood bonus round where the bodies of all the enemies you just killed in a round are reanimated into carrier and combat forms? that would be neat.

This is something I wanted in Reach. You know those pods that dropped down in Halo 3, with multiple Flood forms in them, on The Covenant and Halo missions? I was hoping to see them drop down in certain game types as a hazard, similar to drop pods. And re-animate Brutes, Elites, etc. Especially in boss waves, you'd get some serious three way battles erupting. I wish Flood was in Reach for that reason alone.

FyreWulff

This is something I wanted in Reach. You know those pods that dropped down in Halo 3, with multiple Flood forms in them, on The Covenant and Halo missions? I was hoping to see them drop down in certain game types as a hazard, similar to drop pods. And re-animate Brutes, Elites, etc. Especially in boss waves, you'd get some serious three way battles erupting. I wish Flood was in Reach for that reason alone.

Should have done it as a Map Hazard on Installation 04

sogood

A $7 mobile game with aggressive microtransactions. Mobile games usually don't get away with microtransactions up your ass unless they are Free to 3 dollars.
Yeah, this is my thinking too.
It's not like game is free, it's in the mid to expensive tier for mobile games.

Considering GoW + Forza Horizon, going to have to guess it's that Microsoft mandate.

They did consolidate the Reach playlists, but the fragmentation via the CEA disc plus the fact that they held to their promise to keep vanilla Reach intact mean it's still way too fragmented for its own good, and people who just bought Anniversary are shafted in terms of play options. It's not an ideal situation.

343 has never stated any intention to actually do anything with the 3 lists.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=41261537&postcount=2798

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=41261329&postcount=2788

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=41261195&postcount=2784

willow ve

A $7 mobile game with aggressive microtransactions. Mobile games usually don't get away with microtransactions up your ass unless they are Free to 3 dollars.

Yeah, this is my thinking too.
It's not like game is free, it's in the mid to expensive tier for mobile games.

Considering GoW + Forza Horizon, going to have to guess it's that Microsoft mandate.

Yep - games aren't objects to be bought, they're services to be paid for over and over again.

Lulz - lies will come back to haunt you.

A US based player saying latency isn't an issue in Halo 3, I laugh directly in your face. Halo 3 is BR US host dominance, fact!

Double melee, bullet refunds, shot detection iffy, weapon spawn pick ups by players walking behind you, shooting yourself in the back with a rocket, grenade latency, lack of hitscan, lack of local search filter...would you like me to keep going from an Australian who played over 10,000 games of Halo 3 at all levels?

All that and not even entering into the netcode being manipulated easily for bridging of host, host booting etc.

I don't say it often but thinking both Reach & Halo 4 aren't light years in front of Halo 3 online is riding the bad opinion train mate, right up front with the engineer driving it. I for one can't wait for the regional dedicated servers of X1.

Someone gets it. Great post

Blueblur1

Did you play it? I mean calling a game junk because of hatred against a specific developer is kind of unfair.

It's a $6 (or is it $7) game with IAP purchases which is the only way to access some content in the game. It's purpose is to grab as much cash as possible from its users as opposed to a complete game which offer the user a complete entertainment product focused on entertainment from the get go.

So yeah, it's junk.

Annually releasing halo games every 2 years.
Abit unexpected to see a possible sequel to Halo 4 so soon. Usually numbered sequels takes 3-5 years to release while Dlc & Spinoff titles extend the length in between.

Imo it doesn't raise much concern if its a spinoff title, but a numbered sequel perhaps might b'cuz lack of timing & resources. As consumers expect quality gameplay and value towards all games they invest to extend replayability.

But assuming the majority of fans mindsets are that each New sequel are packaged and shipped Top quality content to continue a Trilogy, Saga, and an ever growing franchise. 343i & MS. knows this, we know this, question is can they deliver a Next-Gen Halo Game(s)?

no bullets hans

Neo Member
downloaded Spartan Assault on my Windows 8 PC...won't load. Get the splash page with the logo and then nothing.

So, probably a better gaming experience than Halo 4.

Fuchsdh

Man, I enjoy seeing our youth fighting so hard to get a job they really want

I really would like to believe you guys aren't all so dense that you actually think the people who don't have as many negative things to say about Halo are somehow jockeying for a job at 343. I can't speak for everyone else but I'm sure as hell not. Amazingly, people can have... different opinions!

Gui_PT

I really would like to believe you guys aren't all so dense that you actually think the people who don't have as many negative things to say about Halo are somehow jockeying for a job at 343. I can't speak for everyone else but I'm sure as hell not. Amazingly, people can have... different opinions!

It's like you actually believe what you post! Such commitment is rarely seen nowadays.

Ramirez

Yea, we're the dense ones. We're not arguing opinions here, he clearly states the MM will be updated, that's a fact, you're embarrassing yourself.

Keep fuckin that chicken, bro.

Top Bottom