• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

wot

ib09da14VWalz.gif

Booshka

LOL Nice try Stinkles but everyone's favorite Halo game is Combat Evolved.

I'll work as an unpaid intern, I don't care. Let's make CE2 happen. Why are you allowing people to ruin Halo? Are you part of the problem??

lol jk
..but am I?
<3

That's a pretty sad clip, EMP vehicles, camp with sniper, AR and SMG scrubs, camp in corner with charged up boltshot, and run around punching people.

I know these guys don't spend much time playing Halo, because they are too busy making it, but I wish they didn't play like such scrubs when they did. Instead try to actually learn and play good Halo, with good map movement, precision weapon skill, and teamwork. Instead it's running around spraying with automatics, EMP'ing vehicles, camping with sniper or boltshot, or just trying to get a melee out as you get mercilessly donged on.

I do think the idea that just EMP'ing the vehicle but don't actually attack it is pretty funny.

Fuchsdh

This is the most sane thing you've said as of late.

Quick, I take it back.

Thus far I really haven't been sold on either the Halo 4 writer or Brian Reed. Let's be honest, Bungie never particularly told jawdropping stories either; Staten pushed the boundaries in Halo 2 and then bizarrely listened to the mob and dumbed things down for 3. But Bungie also did an amazing job with the showmanship and mystery angle, and just the whole universe building.

343 has worked on tying together all the fiction in ways Bungie wouldn't, which they deserve major credit for, but they've also taken away a lot of that same mystery, especially regarding the Forerunners and the Flood. I think this is overall a good thing, and let's the franchise explore and move on, but the obvious result is that the bar for the stories being good is going to be correspondingly higher. They kicked away their own crutches, now they've got to walk.

Halo 4 was a dramatic improvement on Bungie's stuff in a lot of ways but neutral in others and a step back in some really important facets (namely, the accessibility part, which was something Bungie rightly focused on, and an odd imbalance of overstating what was clear and then not explaining the WTF stuff.) I'm hopeful the writing team can boost it up a notch for the next installment. We certainly know that the campaign design guys took away some solid pointers but not as much was said in the postmortem about the writing.

Speaking of which: do we know who did the writing for Spartan Assault?

No one talked about this, but Halo will get a on-going comic! It is not the Sarah Palmer comic. That one will start next month till October. 3 issues. Then it is over. Escalation is going to deal with the Arbiter.

There are several twitter-people who really like Palmer. Crazy.

Arbiter comic? Ok, I'm interested.

This^ 9/10 first impressions are everything.
Spartan Ops only made her character worse.

Also I found this interesting easter egg and had no idea until now:
"John. Our Mother Neeeeeds Us!"

Thats an easter egg? I swear thats happened every time I have played.

Fotos

Just played through Halo 3 again on Legendary with a few friends. It's kinda sad going back and seeing and hearing all the classic sounds, music, characters, weapons, and just the design of everything.
Just watching the cutscenes in Halo 3 made me realize how much I dislike the Chief in Halo 4. In H4 he has too many pointless lines and there are not any good memorable quotes. In Halo 3 I loved how you can tell exactly what MC is thinking just by his movements not by him spouting out pointless sentences.
I know this has been said plenty of times but why change his armor? The Halo 2/3 armor was iconic and looked great but they change it in Halo 4 for no reason. I think it would have been way cooler to see the old Warthog/BR/Shotgun/Sniper/Armor/FUD/etc. with updated graphics to see how much they changed over the years.
Watching the cutscenes also reminded me of how much I miss the music. The music fits in every moment from action packed to dramatic. I like Neil Davidge and all but I don't think he is right for Halo. His music just doesn't seem Halo. Especially the main menu music. Wtf is up with that.
Lastly I want to talk about the emotional tone in both games. In Halo 3 there were plenty of action packed parts that would get your heart beating or give you that bad ass super soldier feel
I still get a stupid smirk on my face when I destroy a scarab
. But there were also parts like finding Cortana or Johnson's death that made you feel sad. In Halo 4 I played through the entire campaign with a straight face. There were no fun battles like Halo 3 and I seemed to not really care when Cortana "died".

I still like Halo 4 but it's just kinda a disappointment as a sequel. Please make Halo 5 have more of a classic nostalgic feel. Please.

Madness

Lol, though he is gone, he has not been forgotten... RIP in Peace Kylej.

I know it's just jokes, but that kind of makes me feel bad for Frank. But hopefully he sees the equal hate Reach got and now even 3 is getting from fans here apparently.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Lol, though he is gone, he has not been forgotten... RIP in Peace Kylej.

I know it's just jokes, but that kind of makes me feel bad for Frank. But hopefully he sees the equal hate Reach got and now even 3 is getting from fans here apparently.

I wrote that this morning with some love for kylej believe it or not.

daedalius

Just played through Halo 3 again on Legendary with a few friends. It's kinda sad going back and seeing and hearing all the classic sounds, music, characters, weapons, and just the design of everything.
Just watching the cutscenes in Halo 3 made me realize how much I dislike the Chief in Halo 4. In H4 he has too many pointless lines and there are not any good memorable quotes. In Halo 3 I loved how you can tell exactly what MC is thinking just by his movements not by him spouting out pointless sentences.
I know this has been said plenty of times but why change his armor? The Halo 2/3 armor was iconic and looked great but they change it in Halo 4 for no reason. I think it would have been way cooler to see the old Warthog/BR/Shotgun/Sniper/Armor/FUD/etc. with updated graphics to see how much they changed over the years.
Watching the cutscenes also reminded me of how much I miss the music. The music fits in every moment from action packed to dramatic. I like Neil Davidge and all but I don't think he is right for Halo. His music just doesn't seem Halo. Especially the main menu music. Wtf is up with that.
Lastly I want to talk about the emotional tone in both games. In Halo 3 there were plenty of action packed parts that would get your heart beating or give you that bad ass super soldier feel
I still get a stupid smirk on my face when I destroy a scarab
. But there were also parts like finding Cortana or Johnson's death that made you feel sad. In Halo 4 I played through the entire campaign with a straight face. There were no fun battles like Halo 3 and I seemed to not really care when Cortana "died".

I still like Halo 4 but it's just kinda a disappointment as a sequel. Please make Halo 5 have more of a classic nostalgic feel. Please.

Well, Halo 3 does have the best campaign overall imo; barring a few things (Cortana level).

Brutes are about 100x more enjoyable to fight than Prometheans.

Omni

"Last edited by GhaleonEB; Today at 05:08 PM. Reason: DON'T DO THAT"

:lol
I found that on Google images just by typing in "Halo Elites". Soooo weird

Transport Warthog.

please.
The thing was entirely useless. Even in campaign.

Preferably the Hornet would return. Falcon too.

J10

Banned
Transport hog was awesome if you traded weapons with all the nearby marines and gave them FRGs and rockets. Load em up and profit.

Fuchsdh

Why does it take Assassins Creed III six (6) hours to get good? That was the longest tutorial ever.

I remember everyone telling me I should play FF XII or whatever because after the first ten hours, it started to get good.

Sorry, no one should be forced to sit around while the developers figure out how to make things interesting. Thankfully all the Halos have done a good job at just launching people into the game without making you feel like "I'm supposed to learn something here".

J10

Banned
Wrong hands. Wrong hands. Wrong hands. Wrong hands. Wrong hands. Wrong hands. Wrong hands. Wrong hands. Wrong hands. Wrong hands. Wrong hands. Wrong hands. Wrong hands. Wrong hands. Wrong hands. Wrong hands. Wrong hands. Wrong hands.

I might have to play Halo CE while I sip some red wine wearing my smoking jacket in front of the fireplace tonight, remind myself of the awesome.

but I don't smoke

I haven't played Spartan Assault yet since I don't have a device that can play it, but while watching the SDCC Panel I can't help but feel like the Vanguard guys "get it".

I'm only 16 minutes in, but I'm anxiously awaiting the Q&A to see how badly Frankie poops on bad questions.

Ken

I haven't played Spartan Assault yet since I don't have a device that can play it, but while watching the SDCC Panel I can't help but feel like the Vanguard guys "get it".

I'm only 16 minutes in, but I'm anxiously awaiting the Q&A to see how badly Frankie poops on bad questions.

Are you saying you do not own a Surface Pro, because my Surface Pro is what I will be downloading and playing Halo: Spartan Assault, a Windows 8 exclusive, on.

no im not

nillapuddin

Transport hog was awesome if you traded weapons with all the nearby marines and gave them FRGs and rockets. Load em up and profit.

This. Halo 3 Campaign "The Covenant" one of my favorite missions to replay, you start with a few ODST's (and a Spartan Laser) grab the FRG off the Chieftan on the hill, and you are in business.

Its something that is decidely unique, the ability to make that much difference with your friendly AI and make them (worthwhile)

Yeah that'll save Halo fo' sho'

Something that is fun and satisfies a small group of Halo fans = anything and everything GAF ever asks for

The thing was entirely useless. Even in campaign.

Preferably the Hornet would return. Falcon too.

Its only viable if it is fully loaded with AI with Power weapons, but when I play campaign, some of my favorite moments are loading up the marines and trying to keep them alive the whole mission.

Spartans are said to boost battlefield morale, nothing boosts morale like infinite Rockets

Tawpgun

Tell the sun to stop being an asshole to New England. Fucking can't take this heat.

Record setting blizzard in the winter, back to back heat waves in July. Goddamn.

Halo Q&A Protip #1: Don't apologize for being nervous about being at the microphone to ask a question--all it does is prolong the pain of the experience for you and the audience.

Tell the sun to stop being an asshole to New England. Fucking can't take this heat.

Record setting blizzard in the winter, back to back heat waves in July. Goddamn.

YourExWife thermometer pics in 3...2...1...

Zoolader

So just tuned in for the end of a panel, like the very last seconds. I didn't even realize comic-con was going on, anything interesting about new Halo stuff?

Zoolader

amen brother. yesterday was brutal.. and the day before.. today's not too bad.
Whenever winter comes and I hear some northern birds in FL. telling me 40 degrees is not cold and to stop being a wimp, I'll remember to throw the this year's heat wave in their faces :)

Booshka

Someone tell Brad that these graphics are annoying and stupid. I really can't stand to watch because I lose like half of my screen space to some pointless ad/stat card.

They are sorta copying the CoD Black Ops 2 spectator format, except those side bars have valuable info like the map and player movement, and keeps track of who is alive and who is dead. In Halo it is stupid and unnecessary when it is just career stats

Top Bottom