• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Omni

I'm jelly. Meanwhile at my shitty place in the world

n4u4.png

It's miserable.

TCKaos

I originally hail from the North East and despite living in the South East for well over a decade I'm still not used to the weather here. I miss my snow and cold. I adore the crispness of cold weather over the soggy ball-sweat of summer.

GhaleonEB

It hit 80 today. To escape the heat we went out to lunch, then to a movie, then shopping. Went for a walk when it came down to 75 in the evening. What a scorcher.

(This is Oregon's way of apologizing for seven consecutive months of grey skies and drizzle.)

Ghazi

I originally hail from the North East and despite living in the South East for well over a decade I'm still not used to the weather here. I miss my snow and cold. I adore the crispness of cold weather over the soggy ball-sweat of summer.

Hah, son you need to come out to the Middle East, soggy ball-sweat weather is our crispiness.

FyreWulff

All glory to our Lord and Savior Central Air Conditioning.

After long Halo sessions you need that stuff just to fight back against your 360 trying to broil you in your own room. I used to live under a cheapskate landlord and there was a winter or two where my room got nice and toasty by me just letting the 360 idle on Halo 3's main menu and letting my PC just be on.

Booshka

Hah, son you need to come out to the Middle East, soggy ball-sweat weather is our crispiness.

I visited my Aunt in Virginia for a couple weeks one summer. She willingly moved there from SoCal. I was like, why the fuck would you move to this gross, humid climate when you had it made in one of the best climates in the world.

I think she was scared of the traffic and didn't want to try and afford raising a family here, but still, it's fucking gross just walking around in the summer there.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
It hit 80 today. To escape the heat we went out to lunch, then to a movie, then shopping. Went for a walk when it came down to 75 in the evening. What a scorcher.

(This is Oregon's way of apologizing for seven consecutive months of grey skies and drizzle.)
Today was beautiful in my part of Oregon. Went for a two hour walk and soaked it up. Not too hot, and not the least bit chilly. Perfect.

I visited my Aunt in Virginia for a couple weeks one summer. She willingly moved there from SoCal. I was like, why the fuck would you move to this gross, humid climate when you had it made in one of the best climates in the world.

I think she was scared of the traffic and didn't want to try and afford raising a family here, but still, it's fucking gross just walking around in the summer there.

Sounds good, I'm moving to Virginia soon most likely.

I love heat, I love humidity. I'm like a lizard.

Ghazi

God, that sounds like a nightmare. SoCal's where I'd want to be eventually in the future if I don't move to either Texas or Washington.
Lived in Turkey for 2 years. Can confirm weather is fucking stupid.

Ah Turkey, stayed a couple weeks there. I liked their food. Other than that, yeah, weather was sucked.

Conor 419

Banned
Depends how quickly my SA review goes up I guess, there's so much to talk about. This game is the epitome of the pro republican/'Fuck the used game market and poor people'/'Sarah Palmer is an allegory to Michelle Bachmann'/'We wont pay attention to any market but 'murica/'All of our entertainment IP's are dead' era Microsoft.

Starring

+ Literally no attempt to account for the narrative disaster that was Halo 4
+ £30 to have fun credit system
+ Lazy characterisation "I would have lost a lot more if not for Spartan Palmer"
+ Outside of character models and jargon, literally nothing to do with Halo in terms of art style, OST, story etc.

I mean, emphasis on point three. Why do they bother? Do they honestly think they're going to get the array of rejects that they carefully planned for the trilogy saga to be well developed characters through shitty quotes like that? What.the.fuck.

This could well be the worst entertainment release I have ever experienced in my entire life.

J10

Banned
Guardians of the Galaxy/Nova Corps/Thanos in 2014.
X-Men/Sentinels in 2014.
Superman/Batman in 2015.
Avengers/Ultron in 2015.

If I die before 2016 I'll kill myself.

Booshka

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEW-Be_vIBY

Back motherfuckers.

Been playing Spartan Assault, it's fucking awful.

Depends how quickly my SA review goes up I guess, there's so much to talk about. This game is the epitome of the pro republican/'Fuck the used game market and poor people'/'Sarah Palmer is an allegory to Michelle Bachmann'/'We wont pay attention to any market but 'murica/'All of our entertainment IP's are dead' era Microsoft.

Starring

+ Lazy characterisation "I would have lost a lot more if not for Spartan Palmer"
+ Outside of character models and jargon, literally nothing to do with Halo in terms of art style, OST, story etc.

This could well be the worst entertainment release I have ever experienced in my life.
Yet, you bought it, gave them money and reinforced their position to make more shit. Stop buying shit Halo, and maybe they will stop making it.

Starring

This could well be the worst entertainment release I have ever experienced in my life.

welcome to a post karen traviss halo

Ken

SA is a fun game to play, despite the weird in game purchase model and Palmer.

Conor is just mad it doesn't have a server browser.

idunno it sounds pretty bad from this post

I am about half way through the game now and wouldn't really recommend it to anyone. The gameplay itself is very basic with extremely linear (and short) levels. There isn't really anything to this game - it is a very shallow twin stick shooter and far more shallow if I try to fit it into any other genre. It would have been nice to see it be a true twin stick like Dead Nation but in the Halo Universe, or better something like Killzone: Liberation but there really isn't anything here except basic shooting and moving forward until the mission is accomplished.

Enemy encounters are very basic and your offensive options are far too simplified. I am not a hardcore Halo fan, but it would have been nice if weapons at least operated as they do in the mainline Halo game. Why do I not have to reload, or have the plasma weapons overheat? The game is designed around touch controls so why not have movement mapped to a virtual thumbstick and combat mapped to touch-to-target and a virtual button for fire and melee? Twin stick shooters don't really work when you are just moving forward and all engagements are directly ahead of you (there are a few arena levels, yes - but by and large the game so far is about moving forward) and a few more tactical elements (like actually having to manage weapons) would be nice. Enemy AI is also piss poor with many Elites just standing around not even shooting at you (even if I use the skull to make them tougher).

Also - I don't really see the point in spending experience points, or actual dollars. All they seem to do is get you the exact same weapons (sniper, RL, SL) for only one mission. The availability of weapons in-game is sufficient so it seems like a poor attempt at monetizing the game on 343's part.

All in all - not a fan. 343 is 2 for 2 in letting me down with the Halo franchise. $6 is too much for this experience. $2 with a better implemented experience/currency function would be fine - but for now, unless you just want to throw some money away, I would suggest passing on this.

i dont play many top down shooters but alien swarm was fantastic and that was free

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
It is indeed pretty basic in design, I was just more enamored by the fact that it's solid to play, looks like Halo, and has some solid music. I can't deny those points, but I'm having a decent time with it so far (especially for $7).

But I like Halo 4 somewhat (not necessarily as a Halo game) so what do I know!

Top Bottom