• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Madness

5:30ish... Destiny will probably have more chanting monks than Halo 4 did.

Marty is great and if he didn't stick with Bungie, he'd have made a killing doing scores for movies.

Fuchsdh

5:30ish... Destiny will probably have more chanting monks than Halo 4 did.

Marty is great and if he didn't stick with Bungie, he'd have made a killing doing scores for movies.
I dunno. The movie industry is so out of touch I don't think Marty would be given a chance.

G17

If anyone missed the live Destiny music from last night, here it is.

The music at the 6:37 mark was just incredible. Marty, Koji Kondo, and Jesper Kyd continue to be my favourite in the industry right now.

If only 343 could get Jesper Kyd for Halo 5. Or just leave it internally to Kazuma Jinnouchi, he did a great job.

Madness

I dunno. The movie industry is so out of touch I don't think Marty would be given a chance.

Maybe, but you could see movies like District 9 or Elysium or any kind of movie similar to that want to hire Marty, the guy who has sold millions of soundtracks and is known for making music as iconic as any other game no?

I'm just saying, I love movie scores and soundtracks, I could totally have seen him do a big budget blockbuster etc. Can't wait to hear Destiny. Believe me, if he can get Paul McCartney to work with him, he could get doors opened in Hollywood too.

Booshka

Just saw the trailer for the new Cosmos series. So hype spring 2014 is too far away.

220px-CosmosSagan5.jpg

Fuchsdh

Maybe, but you could see movies like District 9 or Elysium or any kind of movie similar to that want to hire Marty, the guy who has sold millions of soundtracks and is known for making music as iconic as any other game no?

I'm just saying, I love movie scores and soundtracks, I could totally have seen him do a big budget blockbuster etc. Can't wait to hear Destiny. Believe me, if he can get Paul McCartney to work with him, he could get doors opened in Hollywood too.

Fair enough, but Hollywood doesn't understand games, and the games industry and saddled with people who still have this massive bizarre inferiority complex next to film. My sense of Marty is that if he had wanted to push into film when he tired of jingles, he could have. Instead he went a route where he probably has more creative control and gets a much more tech-focused and interactive approach to music.

Tawpgun

Just listened to th destiny music. Thought it was pretty good. I was digging the slight halo themes that were in it.

Gave me a LoZ + Halo vibe

Vertigo and Pitfall look like decent maps to play on.

If 343 & CA could create innovative maps that don't break the flow of Arena in Halo
then the greater replayability, popularity, & memorable that content will become. But the gameplay has to complement the Map(s) itself. I think Turbo, Throwdown, Legendary Slayer are steps towards the right direction (AR Starts Isn't!).

I'd prefer an HD Remake to CE multiplayer rather than Reach implementation into Anniversary over Halo 4 (Reach 2) gameplay & maps. Imho.

Vertigo and Pitfall look like decent maps to play on.

If 343 & CA could create innovative maps that don't break the flow of Arena in Halo
then the greater replayability, popularity, & memorable that content will become. But the gameplay has to complement the Map(s) itself. I think Turbo, Throwdown, Legendary Slayer are steps towards the right direction (AR Starts Isn't!).

I'd prefer an HD Remake to CE multiplayer rather than Reach implementation into Anniversary over Halo 4 (Reach 2) gameplay & maps. Imho.

In the stream last night, they talked about how you should use jetpack to ignore the verticality of Pitfall...

since when was it good to endorse breaking the flow of a map? oh wait, this is Halo 4.

I don't hear any Halo in that. Good stuff though.

This. I think people are confusing themes and instrumentation. The only things resembling Halo themes I could notice were the string ensemble's little staccato chord progression things between actual melodies, which kinda resembled the "danaNAnaNAnananaNANANANA" thing that 117 does throughout.

An orchestra = orchestral instrumentation, people, not the Halo theme.

Tawpgun

What? I heard something that sounded like the warthog run music and you are saying, it's not the theme but it sounds like the theme?

Gui_PT

Yeah they said the same about Vertigo.
So stupid..

They should implement double jump
:p

They also said they made a map(don't remember which one) in a certain way so that players had no idea what was going on.

And that they love to get the drop on players from above with jetpack and maps with loads of power weapons.

They also said they made a map(don't remember which one) in a certain way so that players had no idea what was going on.

And that they love to get the drop on players from above with jetpack and maps with loads of power weapons.

i just want the entire multiplayer design team to be fired. and Frankie to be relegated to Janitor.

Tawpgun

Embarrassing if true.

But not surprising given what we've seen.

Gui_PT

Embarrassing if true.

But not surprising given what we've seen.

What we're going for here is just these little environments that are tucked away in these rocky outcroppings making sure that no one knows what they're doing exactly

They actually wanted to make sure no one knew what they were doing.

It upsets me because I really really want to see them do well. I want them to succeed at what they doing and have fans actually enjoy their product but they make such bad bad decisions that'll keep burying the game =\

willow ve

They also killed Cortana.

Gui_PT

She's talking about the narrative reason for humans to occupy that location, not map design.

Doesn't sound like that at all but I guess you know better than I do since you kinda work there.

I also added something to my post and don't sound as jerkish now. I hope.

willow ve

She's talking about the narrative reason for humans to occupy that location, not map design.
Agree. Listened to the walkthrough and didn't think they said anything that was blatantly a bad design philosophy. They might struggle with understanding how symmetrical designs are more balanced than asymmetrical maps, but this walkthrough doesn't deserve torches and pitchforks.

Gui_PT

No torches or pitchforks. Just mentioning they've been making bad decisions with their map creations which leads to a lower population and ultimately a bad opinion on the game as a whole.

Their playlist management for DLC maps doesn't help either.

I'm not attacking the game or the creators. I just hope someone there will read these posts we make and try to improve because I actually want them to do well.

Doesn't sound like that at all but I guess you know better than I do since you kinda work there.

I also added something to my post and don't sound as jerkish now. I hope.
You were looking for something that just wasn't there. Her whole dialog was about the location, not sure how you came to your conclusion.

Gui_PT

You were looking for something that just wasn't there. Her whole dialog was about the location, not sure how you came to your conclusion.

My bad, it really sounded like she was talking about the map. I also remember someone mentioning the same thing when the video came out and no one disagreeing.

Risen

I thought it sounded exactly like she was speaking to the narrative, particularly when immediately after she launched into an explanation of the design elements of the game like an open side in the sunlight, enclosed dark side, a specific path w warthog tracks, names of bases... you know, things that tell players exactly where they are.

i don't doubt his knowledge, but what does a spartan ops designer or w/e know about multiplayer maps?

i mean its like Bravo knowing how to run megalo or set up a company 401k. (<- thats a bit drastic but i digress)

Tawpgun

Gui was wrong in this regard, but that doesn't excuse how so many of 343's maps are so poor for player orientation.

And they also need to kill off the idea of functionally symmetrical. What the fuck is that.

What? I heard something that sounded like the warthog run music and you are saying, it's not the theme but it sounds like the theme?

I'm saying that string section "buildups" are really common in orchestral composition. Even if the foundation of the main Halo theme is a string riff, it's silly to think that it should immediately correlate the two, even if Marty's behind both tracks.

A reasonable example of actual "theme sharing" would be to compare the pizzicato strings (plucky harpy things) from CE's Perilous Journey to the staccato string crescendo in 4's Belly of the Beast where it aggressively reprises the Awakening melody.

This is stretching, but you could even say CE's On A Pale Horse and 4's Immaterial are sharing themes, Immaterial.just reverses the order. Pale Horse goes from strings staccato to a "call - answer" buildup with the strings. Immaterial starts with the "call - answer" approach, throws in piano, and then explodes into a mix of punchy orchestral percussion, piano stabs and strings staccato.

Risen

Gui was wrong in this regard, but that doesn't excuse how so many of 343's maps are so poor for player orientation.

And they also need to kill off the idea of functionally symmetrical. What the fuck is that.

What should have been done, if anything, is never part out design of Halo maps to companies that designed Call of Duty maps. Terms like "functionally symmetrical" shouldn't even exist in an arena shooter.

Gui_PT

I am never wrong, just not as accurate in terms of rightness sometimes.

What should have been done, if anything, is never part out design of Halo maps to companies that designed Call of Duty maps. Terms like "functionally symmetrical" shouldn't even exist in an arena shooter.

CA did Halo maps way before Call of Duty. Dont blame CA for going on the Design Docs that 343 gives them

IHaveIce

Banned

OH god this!

A map is only functionally symetrical if it is INDEED symmetrical.

Top Bottom