• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Risen

CA did Halo maps way before Call of Duty. Dont blame CA for going on the Design Docs that 343 gives them

I wasn't counting the Blastacular pack because they were remakes and not original map design... even if dimensions were wrong, they weren't original map designs created by CA. Whereas with World at War and Black Ops they were contracted for original design. You can see many of the same design elements from their CoD original content in what they've created for Halo...

Over-complicated, large, asymmetrical maps that are more about style than substantive game play in an arena shooter.

I wasn't counting the Blastacular pack because they were remakes and not original map design... even if dimensions were wrong, they weren't original map designs created by CA. Whereas with World at War and Black Ops they were contracted for original design. You can see many of the same design elements from their CoD original content in what they've created for Halo...

Over-complicated, large, asymmetrical maps that are more about style than substantive game play in an arena shooter.

thing about it is that 343 has to okay the maps they make. so blame 343 and their design decisions

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Move to Seattle instead and get hired bro.

Also, Chiron was a silly, fun map but doesn't deserve a remake. If you're gonna do a remake make it a good map.

How dare you.

hqdefault.jpg

I'm moving to Stafford VA. Whats there to do there that would interest me?

Has to be more than Buffalo amiright!

Stafford is a very wealthy area no?

--------------------

Agreed that "functional symmetric" needs to die in a fire. Make symmetrical maps and asymmetrical maps.

Move to Seattle instead and get hired bro.

Also, Chiron was a silly, fun map but doesn't deserve a remake. If you're gonna do a remake make it a good map.
Seattle is dumb. *Looks outside at endless clouds in July*

Risen

thing about it is that 343 has to okay the maps they make. so blame 343 and their design decisions

Obviousness is obvious... but I placed in bold just in case.

You've missed my original point. You know, the one that did place the blame on a company by saying they shouldn't part out map design to another company that specifically doesn't do arena shooter map design?

I'm moving to Stafford VA. Whats there to do there that would interest me?

Nothing... move to Texas instead.

Edit to say:

Here is the CA resume:

Blastacular Map Pack: Halo 2... remakes of Hang Em High and Derelict - neither of them faithful to the originals

Then original designs for:

Left 4 Dead
CoD: World at War
Age of Booty
Halo Waypoint (did I mention over-complicated and style over substance?)
CoD: Black Ops
Crimson Alliance

The rest is Halo Reach, Halo Anniversary, and Halo 4...

Are people really surprised at the designs of the maps in recent Halo when looking at the above?

Guys.

LOADOUT 1: Scattershot / Sticky Detonator / Pulse x2 / Hologram
LOADOUT 2: Sticky Detonator / Scattershot / Pulse x2 / Promethean Vision
Map: Chiron

pls

Why has no one done this and just used zero-grav mancannon sections to connect some of the areas that you can't via teleporter? I think it'd be sillier that way.

A Reach Chiron remake did exactly this and walled off the "maintenance tunnels" you flew through using one-way shields, meaning it accurately replicated every teleporter channel down to certain ones being two-way and some being one-way. It was mostly made of stunt ramps so it had a whole Tron aesthetic going, too. Probably one of my favorite maps in the gmae.

Teleporters are bad. Man cannons are better. There, I said it.

I was thinking about making a Covenant-themed spiritual successor to Chiron called Pinprick that utilized a buttload of mancannons instead of teleporters. Only problem is that you can only spawn 8.

Bro, Bro, Bro

No. Teleporters are better than man cannons on certain maps and vice versa. It's a yin and yang thing.

For me teleporters in Halo have always suffered from latency the most, as in you literally double teleport back to the sender node. It was shockingly bad in Halo 2, remained in 3 somewhat but then Bungie moved to man cannons due to teleporters online issues.

Even with Reach and 4 man cannons still create latency skips but at least they're more reliable than teleporters. I occasionally still fall off adrift and die from latency making the jumps short.

Karl2177

For me teleporters in Halo have always suffered from latency the most, as in you literally double teleport back to the sender node. It was shockingly bad in Halo 2, remained in 3 somewhat but then Bungie moved to man cannons due to teleporters online issues.

Even with Reach and 4 man cannons still create latency skips but at least they're more reliable than teleporters. I occasionally still fall off adrift and die from latency making the jumps short.

That's not why, champ.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Teleporters are awful, and mancannons aren't much better. Random mechanics are the last things Halo needs. Walking near a teleporter just to have someone come out of it to get an easy backsmack/double melee on you isn't very fun. Mancannons alleviate this somewhat, but I don't really care for them in a competitive setting. I'd rather have quick movement made available to the player through trick jumps and whatnot.

I do feel they have a place in customs/Forge.

Teleporters are awful, and mancannons aren't much better. Random mechanics are the last things Halo needs. Walking near a teleporter just to have someone come out of it to get an easy backsmack/double melee on you isn't very fun. Mancannons alleviate this somewhat, but I don't really care for them in a competitive setting. I'd rather have quick movement made available to the player through trick jumps and whatnot.

I think teleporters would be a lot more bearable with a few key differences.

-Have two variants: Teleporters and Telefloorters.

-Teleporters are CE-style, using a mix of hazy green space clouds and tunnels to warp you. Wall teleporters require a brief charge-up to send you to your destination after about 3 seconds or so.

-Telefloorters are modernized versions of what we have right now; they would consist of a singular dark Forerunner panel with a prominently greenscreen-esqe side. These teleporters would teleport you instantly, but (as a potential downside) carry your momentum with you, meaning falls into portals could send you slamming into the ceiling headfirst and whatnot.

-Add sounds and possibly a distinct visual effect to both teleporters as someone's about to warp.

-If applicable (though very uncommon), add a Promethean Knight-style "warp vector" from one node to the other to display that people are teleporting.

-Bring back telefragging. If you want to get really crazy, add in Telefragsassinations.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
I think teleporters would be a lot more bearable with a few key differences.

-Have two variants: Teleporters and Telefloorters.

-Teleporters are CE-style, using a mix of hazy green space clouds and tunnels to warp you. Wall teleporters require a brief charge-up to send you to your destination after about 3 seconds or so.

-Telefloorters are modernized versions of what we have right now; they would consist of a singular dark Forerunner panel with a prominently greenscreen-esqe side. These teleporters would teleport you instantly, but (as a potential downside) carry your momentum with you, meaning falls into portals could send you slamming into the ceiling headfirst and whatnot.

-Add sounds and possibly a distinct visual effect to both teleporters as someone's about to warp.

-If applicable (though very uncommon), add a Promethean Knight-style "warp vector" from one node to the other to display that people are teleporting.

-Bring back telefragging. If you want to get really crazy, add in Telefragsassinations.

Teleporters already do carry your momentum, though

Teleporters already do carry your momentum, though

I know, I'm saying insta-porters (floor-based) would carry momentum and be placed in more Portal-esqe positions on floors and ceilings, while charge-porters (Halo CE ver) wouldn't and would be placed in much more safe positions, such as in the back alleys of Sidewinder.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
I know, I'm saying insta-porters (floor-based) would carry momentum and be placed in more Portal-esqe positions on floors and ceilings, while charge-porters (Halo CE ver) wouldn't and would be placed in much more safe positions, such as in the back alleys of Sidewinder.

I just want the ability to shoot through teleporters.

Kibbles

Pitfall gameplay has me excited but then I realize it's a month away. Jesus so far. Wish they would take the Apple approach to revealing things and releasing soon after.

Striker

Teleporters are awful, and mancannons aren't much better. Random mechanics are the last things Halo needs. Walking near a teleporter just to have someone come out of it to get an easy backsmack/double melee on you isn't very fun.
Don't play Halo's that have terribly overpowered melee then.

Mancannons alleviate this somewhat, but I don't really care for them in a competitive setting. I'd rather have quick movement made available to the player through trick jumps and whatnot.

Why put a competitive label on things? Both can work fine if utilized properly. The way they used teleporters in Warlock, Beaver Creek, Relic, for instance, did well to speed up the map movement and also allowed players to strategize more. I have hated the teleporters since H3 because they've been all forge based and they always seemed to give me problems. There's been no telefragging either, which helped against people who camped on them.

Teleporters on Warlock were insane. That map was the definition of a competitive arena. It's best when two sets counter one another in almost a circle. Straight singular teleporting is too linear and not easily countered/balanced.

Karl2177

Tele-camping? Tele-blocking? Do tell mate.

http://youtu.be/MG9fh74D-_M?t=3m31s

"One of the things we talked about in pre-production was player movement and that's where the man cannon came in." -Chris Carney

"In Halo 1 and Halo 2, we had these teleporters. Although it was a great way to get around quickly, it didn't provide as much inherent danger as the man cannon does." -David Candland

It's nothing to do with latency. It has to do with the risk/reward of getting to the key part of the map. Get there quickly by man cannon-ing, but risk getting sniped out of the air. Take a vehicle, but risk them having the laser by the time you get there. Walk, but get shot along the way. With teleporters the main risk was a camper or someone with map knowledge.

Nowise10

What? How in the world are teleporters and mancannons "random mechanics" and bad for competitive play? If you use a teleporter, It is your own risk as you dont know who could be on the other side. That is the point of teleporters. Same thing goes with mancannons, but on most occasions you can tell if its a bad idea to go launch into one.

Its the "last thing Halo needs" my ass.

heckfu

Banned
What? How in the world are teleporters and mancannons "random mechanics" and bad for competitive play? If you use a teleporter, It is your own risk as you dont know who could be on the other side. That is the point of teleporters. Same thing goes with mancannons, but on most occasions you can tell if its a bad idea to go launch into one.

Monsterfracas is the foremost authority on competitive play, just listen to him.

Fracas

#fuckonami

I mean they're random in that when you enter a teleporter (and to a lesser extent mancannons), it's not always clear what's on the other side depending on the map, as you said. This can lead to abuse in general matchmaking. The idea of a player getting a significant advantage in a BR duel just because they entered a teleporter at the right time doesn't seem fair. This is anecdotal, but in most games on Scythe that I've played, I've seen one side of the teleporter straight up camped by a player for the duration of the match. It's an interesting idea in that it can alter controlling the map in different ways, but when it causes 1 or more players to turtle around it, it doesn't work well in my opinion.

As for mancannons, I just don't see the point of them outside of BTB. It's largely just preference, but isn't sprint or trickjumping enough for traversal? They're handy for getting players into the action (Valhalla for instance), but I don't get the point of their placement on maps like Adrift.

Fuchsdh

I mean they're random in that when you enter a teleporter (and to a lesser extent mancannons), it's not always clear what's on the other side depending on the map, as you said. This can lead to abuse in general matchmaking. This is anecdotal, but in most games on Scythe that I've played, I've seen one side of the teleporter straight up camped by a player for the duration of the match. It's an interesting idea in that it can alter controlling the map in different ways, but when it causes 1 or more players to turtle around it, it doesn't work well in my opinion.

As for mancannons, I just don't see the point of them outside of BTB. It's largely just preference, but isn't sprint or trickjumping enough for traversal? They're handy for getting players into the action (Valhalla for instance), but I don't get the point of their placement on maps like Adrift.

Not to say Adrift is a wonderful example of mancannon use, but like gravlifts in that context they serve as one-way methods of travel that still leave the player exposed.

Nowise10

I mean they're random in that when you enter a teleporter (and to a lesser extent mancannons), it's not always clear what's on the other side depending on the map, as you said. This can lead to abuse in general matchmaking. The idea of a player getting a significant advantage in a BR duel just because they entered a teleporter at the right time doesn't seem fair. This is anecdotal, but in most games on Scythe that I've played, I've seen one side of the teleporter straight up camped by a player for the duration of the match. It's an interesting idea in that it can alter controlling the map in different ways, but when it causes 1 or more players to turtle around it, it doesn't work well in my opinion.

I still believe that is the point of teleporters. You dont need to use them to get to that area, but yes I can understand that some maps can use them badly, and make not using them a chore, but I still think most of the maps that have teleporters use them well, and I will rarely ever encounter someone who camps the teleporter for the entire game, and if they do I go to that area by walking or with a mongoose and kill them.

With Adrift I think they were just trying to give you options to get to those platforms without having to walk down the main tunnels, especially if the tunnels were filled with enemies.

I think they fit with Halo and are good, it changes up the map alittle without breaking anything. I definitely dont think they are "random mechanics".

Fracas

#fuckonami
Honestly, I'd be fine with teleporters if they worked similar to the way Wahrer described. Make it clear when one is being used. Some kind of heads up, maybe? That way they serve their purpose well without letting someone get a free backsmack/BR shot.

So, Murder Miners has Battle Rifles now. Huh.

I really need to get back into that game. Played it with gaffers when it came out, and I haven't touched it since.

heckfu

Banned
Honestly, I'd be fine with teleporters if they worked similar to the way Wahrer described. Make it clear when one is being used. Some kind of heads up, maybe? That way they serve their purpose well without letting someone get a free backsmack/BR shot.

lower that skill gap for kids who are too bad to use communication when someone uses it. make it easier!

Top Bottom