• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Gui_PT

This still confuses me.

If I create something at work everbody loves and has fun with AND stays true to the original... I would never scrap it

And then have all the reviews saying it's just copy paste of another Halo game resulting in a bad score, bad publicity and risk not pulling in new players.

They wanted that CoD crowd so they changed things to try and appeal to them.

They failed terribly.

This still confuses me.

If I create something at work everbody loves and has fun with AND stays true to the original... I would never scrap it
Nah, man. Too traditional.

The funny thing is that core of Halo 4 is relatively traditional to Halo, but all of the values surrounding that core are not. So they failed in that sense to even move the basic nuts and bolts Halo beyond what's been done. That's one of the greatest failings of 343's ambitions -- they wanted to redefine Halo, but all of their "redefinition" amounted to was cluttering up the metagame instead of making real adjustments to its core. A coward's revolution, if you will. It wasn't enough of a change to make it appeal to a new market, but it was enough of a change to piss off the dedicated fanbase of the series. The fact that they had a game that was Halo right along in development and nixed it over their own ego is all the more telling of their incompetence. If they really wanted to change Halo, they would have done it from the beginning, like any logical group of people would have done.

Agreed, people still blame Reach on Sage but its not just him who controls everything, its a team of people.

and then you have communities like Team Beyond that Slrp hardcore and the antithesis (excluding a few people) on Halogaf who aren't afraid to tell 343 exactly how it is.

Halo 4 was a Failure.

"We had people who we hired who hated Halo because of 'X,'" says O'Connor. "But what that really meant was, 'I feel like this game could be awesome because of 'Y input' that I'm going to bring into it. I want to prove it, and I'm passionate about proving it.' So we ended up with a bunch of people who were genuinely passionate about the product. That is a huge advantage, and that helped in hiring and forming our team."

And fire all these people. then Fire HR that hired them, then Demote Frankie to Janitor for letting this Happen

lol you're just mad you got perma'd from there

I called people out for kissing Ghost's ass. the Mods there were still butt hurt about the THC shit, and coming from THC there was a Bias.

I'm not mad. the fact that they have to stifle someone with a Ban is funny really. Its a community built on sucking up to the Devs and kissing Ass. You dont conform to their particular rules then you get removed.

And then have all the reviews saying it's just copy paste of another Halo game resulting in a bad score, bad publicity and risk not pulling in new players.

They wanted that CoD crowd so they changed things to try and appeal to them.

They failed terribly.

Developers don't get that adding cod features wont make those players go to their game. if a player wants cod that is what they are going to get. many developers these days have this issue.

DeadNames

Banned
and then you have communities like Team Beyond that Slrp hardcore and the antithesis (excluding a few people) on Halogaf who aren't afraid to tell 343 exactly how it is.

Halo 4 was a Failure.

And fire all these people. then Fire HR that hired them, then Demote Frankie to Janitor for letting this Happen

And that is why we have this half-baked, bastardized, inbred version of Halo.

IHaveIce

Banned
I called people out for kissing Ghost's ass. the Mods there were still butt hurt about the THC shit, and coming from THC there was a Bias.

I'm not mad. the fact that they have to stifle someone with a Ban is funny really. Its a community built on sucking up to the Devs and kissing Ass. You dont conform to their particular rules then you get removed.
Please elaborate what your problem is with Ghost and his settings

EDit : wtf beyond community slurping 343 ? Lol what They have way vigger trolls there than here

Please elaborate what your problem is with Ghost and his settings

EDit : wtf beyond community slurping 343 ? Lol what They have way vigger trolls there than here

It's one person that doesnt listen to the community as a whole, who bases the settings on Nostalgia, and thinks so highly of himself.

IHaveIce

Banned
It's one person that doesnt listen to the community as a whole, who bases the settings on Nostalgia, and thinks so highly of himself.
Huuuuh? He made a poll about starting weapons listened to everyone he was testing with.

Tries new weapons on the maps all the time that are out of the norm...

He bases the settings on balance IMO

Edit: only no sprint comes to my mind that many people ask for and he doesn't seem to go for it

Developers don't get that adding cod features wont make those players go to their game. if a player wants cod that is what they are going to get. many developers these days have this issue.
"CoD-ification" is only one area where Halo multiplayer failed under 343, and has been covered comprehensively over the past few months. A lot of Halo 4 was also an evolution of what was implemented in Reach. Namely, one of the areas I liked them attempting to evolve was the sense of persistence. Persistent elements in multiplayer shooters has been one of the recent trends to keep longterm player numbers, with ultimately mixed results. Halo 3 had limited customization. Reach had a greater amount that extended to limited metagame alteration with loadouts. Halo 4 decided to push that even further by adding in the CoD-like elements many have grievances with.

Bungie did a better job at conveying the notion that my Spartan was Noble Six across single and multiplayer than 343 did to convey that my Spartan was a random member of Crimson during the Spartan Ops campaign, and a Spartan training in War Games. The disconnect between what was in their ambition and what was pulled off makes Halo 4's attempt to shore up persistence very lacking, and overall hurts the product a lot in terms of presentation values. If Halo 4 had been executed properly, we would have had a game with a good competitive element that also allowed a sense of being in the universe at the same time. It would have felt badass to rank up and place highly in MP and take the same Spartan into Spartan Ops and mop the floor with the Covenant. But the execution makes for a disconnected jump between modes -- certainly not what 343 seemed to envision, or what anybody really wanted. Most fans of Halo simply wanted a good Halo game. The sad thing is, I can see where their ambitions for a connected feeling between all the modes is a sound one. Infinity was supposed to be their anchor into the experience. Instead it was just a set of buttons on a menu with a barely discernible background.

The problem with persistence is that unless I feel invested into my character, his or her evolution is meaningless. Between shitty multiplayer, a dreadful Spartan Ops , a disappointing campaign, and a disjointed feeling through out, Halo 4 overall made my experience and my Spartan feel entirely superfluous. Better to not have it then, and try for a cohesive Halo game.

Oh man I could write for hours on what's wrong with Spartan Ops and disjointed feeling in Halo 4. The latter doesn't just extend to the primary modes of the game -- it's a huge issue with the presentation of the campaign, as well.

The CoD-ification of Halo 4 sucks, for sure. It always should be a part of the core discussion of what the game failed to do. But the other rotten elements of the game are fun to talk about, as well.

Huuuuh? He made a poll about starting weapons With an even split between having single BR and multiple loadouts but still went with Single BR

listened to everyone he was testing with. most of whom aren't randoms in the competitive community

Tries new weapons on the maps all the time that are out of the norm... yet we rarely see this in Throwdown

He bases the settings on balance IMO

Edit: only no sprint comes to my mind that many people ask for and he doesn't seem to go for it there was a poll and like 89% of people voted for removal of sprint

Bold, and also he refused to test NS even after Quinn offered up NS slayer gametypes

DeadNames

Banned
Halo 4 actually has one of the best core mechanics, dare I say better than 3 or Reach. The movement, aiming and the guns are all very responsive and are clear. The grenades are still viable yet not mini nukes. The jump height is perfect IMO and doesn't feel floaty at all.

Reach was like a diamond coated turd, whereas Halo 4 is a diamond coated with a turd.

Halo 4 actually has one of the best core mechanics, dare I say better than 3 or Reach. The movement, aiming and the guns are all very responsive and are clear. The grenades are still viable yet not mini nukes. The jump height is perfect IMO and doesn't feel floaty at all.

Reach was like a diamond coated turd, whereas Halo 4 is a diamond coated with a turd.
But ultimately, it's simpler to pick the diamonds off the turd and run than it is to clean off the diamond coated in shit. 343 only needed to renege on the elements they were adamant on keeping to create a passable Halo game (despite issues in areas they couldn't feasibly fix -- campaign, Spartan Ops, sound, UI). They took a half-step solution, ignored a ton of other issues and the population nosedived for it.

I've no faith that 343 can wipe the crap away for Halo 5, but here's hoping.

So they had traditional Halo and scrapped it.

I bet they sat there thinking "People are just going to say we carbon copied Bungies shit so lets change it up! How about we do the whole CoD perks thing? That could be cool?"

Then they all high 5'd each other and jumped into the olympic sized doritos swimming pool.

belushy

Banned

Agreed. Scrape away Infinity slayer, Sprint, some of the AAs, and the horrid maps we got and you've got a pretty good game.

edit: Oh yeah and perks, get rid of that crap too.

wwm0nkey

Halo 4 with all the shit removed is really nice. They also need to scrap the DMR so it can stop ruining bigger maps.

EDIT: Also making games more casual is clearly the way to go!

Halo 4 with all the shit removed is really nice. They also need to scrap the DMR so it can stop ruining bigger maps.
I think the DMR, with some adjustments, could act as a decent on-map stopgap between the BR and Sniper. But there's much to be said for sandbox clutter, of which Halo 4 has way too much.

In Gears 3, you could play DLC maps you have not purchased in matchmaking.

You just couldn't use them in customs or Horde or whatever.

Halo should do this.

Everyone gets to play them in MM but you gotta pay to use them in customs or whatever. People still bought the maps and people will always buy maps so there is money to be made.

Halo. Do this.

wwm0nkey

That's a lot of stuff to remove. Lets not beat around the bush and admit it's not a good halo game.

Its is a lot to remove but when you do it its good. Real problem is you can only remove the shit with mods and only in customs. Then you have stuff you can't remove like flinch. So no its not a good Halo game but 343 has a good core that they can work with, we just have to see if they actually will or wont.

DeadNames

Banned
But ultimately, it's simpler to pick the diamonds off the turd and run than it is to clean off the diamond coated in shit. 343 only needed to renege on the elements they were adamant on keeping to create a passable Halo game (despite issues in areas they couldn't feasibly fix -- campaign, Spartan Ops, sound, UI). They took a half-step solution, ignored a ton of other issues and the population nosedived for it.

I've no faith that 343 can wipe the crap away for Halo 5, but here's hoping.

Not necessarily true.

It's easy to remove all the crap in Halo 4... Set loadouts with a gametype and have no ordnance. You still have flinch and stuff, but on a 4v4 that isn't much of a big deal.

Reach however, was a lot more difficult.

Another thing... I don't know if 343 is stopping this CoDified direction. It seemed as they were with the recent updates, but with the Champions DLC introducing MORE perks... I don't know what to say.

So they had traditional Halo and scrapped it.

I bet they sat there thinking "People are just going to say we carbon copied Bungies shit so lets change it up! How about we do the whole CoD perks thing? That could be cool?"

Then they all high 5'd each other and jumped into the olympic sized doritos swimming pool.
I want to be swimming in Mountain Dew and laying on my giant Doritos bag floaty.

Not necessarily true.

It's easy to remove all the crap in Halo 4... Set loadouts with a gametype and have no ordnance. You still have flinch and stuff, but on a 4v4 that isn't much of a big deal.

Reach however, was a lot more difficult.

Another thing... I don't know if 343 is stopping this CoDified direction. It seemed as they were with the recent updates, but with the Champions DLC introducing MORE perks... I don't know what to say.
Precisely my point. 343 has indicated a distinct lack of interest in bringing the core of Halo to the forefront at the expense of their CoD-ified Halo. Sure, it's easier to turn those features on with a little work in custom games (another area where Reach crushes 4, but that's another discussion) than it is juice the core of Reach into being more recognizably Halo, but that's not where 343's ambition lies.

Their ambition lies with Mountain Dew, Doritos, and CoD envy. Not Halo.

Madness

Quite a bit of hypocrisy in the new Sony memory threads. I don't really care either way, but from day one, XbOne was getting shit for only having 5 gb DDR3 for games and 32 mb ESRAM while everyone was saying PS4 would blow it away with 7gb of GDDR5. Now Sony only will potentially give 4.5 gb of RAM for games at the start with the potential for 512mb or 1 gb more and it becomes, who cares, were coming from a 256/512 mb generation, don't be greedy, games won't need more than 4 gb blah blah.

To those who understand it better than me, how will this impact ports? I understand PS4 still has a slightly better GPU and the memory is still faster but will this equalize ports/multiplatforms a bit?

wwm0nkey

Quite a bit of hypocrisy in the new Sony memory threads. I don't really care either way, but from day one, XbOne was getting shit for only having 5 gb DDR3 for games and 32 mb ESRAM while everyone was saying PS4 would blow it away with 7gb of GDDR5. Now Sony only will potentially give 4.5 gb of RAM for games at the start with the potential for 512mb or 1 gb more and it becomes, who cares, were coming from a 256/512 mb generation, don't be greedy, games won't need more than 4 gb blah blah.

To those who understand it better than me, how will this impact ports? I understand PS4 still has a slightly better GPU and the memory is still faster but will this equalize ports/multiplatforms a bit?

Its more about the speed of the RAM than anything, that 32mb ESRAM wont make the GDDR3 RAM in the One as fast as the RAM in the PS4 but now that they do have similar amounts it wont be as BIG of a difference as before but still a difference in performance. Still though Microsoft will have to prove a lot to me to get me back on the Xbox One train but they did good with the DRM reversal and Self-publishing. Now they just need to make it clear they are listening, become more involved in the GAMING community and make Halo good again then I will be back.

wwm0nkey

Didn't Halo 3 have the whole "gamefuel" thing going on?

Yeah, it started the entire thing and they didn't have to resort to dew 2xp and had a MUCH better advertisement campaign than "An Ancient Evil Awakens" or a random light up sign of the Didact floating around.

DeadNames

Banned
Yeah, it started the entire thing and they didn't have to resort to dew 2xp and had a MUCH better advertisement campaign than "An Ancient Evil Awakens" or a random light up sign of the Didact floating around.

:lol

I forgot about that. 343 spent so much time hyping up the Didact when he barely got any screentime.

wwm0nkey

Yes, but it had no interaction with the game itself.

Halo 3 also had a Burger King tie-in. I honestly think they went over the top with Halo 3's cross-promotion.
They did a lot of it BUT you could not go anywhere without seeing Halo 3 and it was immensely successful.

:lol

I forgot about that. 343 spent so much time hyping up the Didact when he barely got any screentime.
Yeah I was expecting A LOT more Didact stuff a lot of people still really don't know why the fuck the Didact was evil because 343 thought it was a good idea to hide the terminals away on waypoint and hide key info in books as well rather than have a good self contained story.

Again I REALLY hope 343 can make Halo 5 good and give me a reason to get an Xbox One but they have a lot to prove after Halo 4 but I have some hope.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42

slrp slrp

IHaveIce

Banned
Bold, and also he refused to test NS even after Quinn offered up NS slayer gametypes

Well in first line he tests these settings with the people who compete for money on them.
Multiple loadout would just be super stupid in Throwdown, thank god he decided for Single BR, like every pro player pushed him to do.

The new weapons? Huh Sword, Scattershot, Needler, Concussion Rifle, Boltshots etc on different maps, he tried the SAW

Yes the sprint thing is weird. Many people showed him the maps he was concerned about without sprint, with higher movement speed, he said he thought it was too floaty.

Most major multiplatforms games would've be the same anyways. It's in the developers best interest to try to make different versions of their games as close as possible to each other.

Both consoles are going to be just fine.

Well in first line he tests these settings with the people who compete for money on them.
Multiple loadout would just be super stupid in Throwdown, thank god he decided for Single BR, like every pro player pushed him to do.

The new weapons? Huh Sword, Scattershot, Needler, Concussion Rifle, Boltshots etc on different maps, he tried the SAW

Yes the sprint thing is weird. Many people showed him the maps he was concerned about without sprint, with higher movement speed, he said he thought it was too floaty.

it shouldn't be just Him and Ninja deciding settings. its just like KillaKC in MLG. he uses his circle of friends over everyone else.

It will affect things, but not terribly so. The PS4 GPU is about 50% more powerful so even with the relatively low RAM allocation it'll have the edge. This says nothing for potential reductions in the footprint of the PS4's OS -- Sony has been known to decrease the OS allocation as they get more experience with the hardware. The entire design philosophy of the Xbox One is to have the RAM allocation more or less permanent as time goes on. So the PS4 has the advantage with the potential to widen the gap considerably. This will probably mostly apply to exclusive games, however. The current generation has shown that visual parity is preferred as much as possible for multiplats between the HD Twins, regardless of slight advantages here and there.

That said, the hypocritical backtracking about the beholden 8 GEE BEE GEE DEE DEE AR FIVE is very amusing.

Top Bottom