• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Honestly, I wasn't that big on Halo 2. That might cause a ruckus here as I've noticed it's very pro-Halo 2. I recognize the love for the entry and why it's so influential, but it was unrefined in a lot of areas. As a whole package I think it's one of the weaker entries in the series. That's primarily due to Bungie's overexcited ambitions at that time, but it is what it is. Generally it's popular in the areas that it excelled and innovated, and there's nothing wrong with that. It had the best MP map design in the franchise. CE is still the king for the essential flow of combat versus later entries, though. In my opinion.

I enjoyed all of the Bungie Halo games to at least some degree, all for different reasons. Sad that their last entry was the one that was the most problematic, even if I do defend Reach as a game. Oh well. On to Destiny.

Booshka

There are like 3 people in all of HaloGAF that think Halo CE is far and away the best Halo game in all aspects. I am one of them, Halo 2 was a severe and soul crushing disappointment to me. After that, I kinda tuned out to the Halo franchise as a whole, watching from the sidelines with my insatiable appetite for nostalgia never being satisfied.

If Halo anniversary had Halo CE MP on XBL then I wouldn't even bother talking about anything else Halo. But, because it doesn't, I feel obliged to bitch and moan about Halo until the magic of CE Multiplayer is either recaptured or repackaged.

Booshka

What do you mean? Reach MLG doesn't have AR starts.

HaloGAF doesn't play the playlists that have good settings because too many "tryhards" play in them. Throwdown and MLG Reach are the best way to play each respective game, but because most of HaloGAF will get shit on playing in them they avoid them and bitch about the other playlists where the scrubs play.

There are like 3 people in all of HaloGAF that think Halo CE is far and away the best Halo game in all aspects. I am one of them, Halo 2 was a severe and soul crushing disappointment to me. After that, I kinda tuned out to the Halo franchise as a whole, watching from the sidelines with my insatiable appetite for nostalgia never being satisfied.

If Halo anniversary had Halo CE MP on XBL then I wouldn't even bother talking about anything else Halo. But, because it doesn't, I feel obliged to bitch and moan about Halo until the magic of CE Multiplayer is either recaptured or repackaged.
That was me, too. It was to the point that I didn't even really notice the massive hypetrain for Halo 3 as it launched, even though I participated in the Beta and got the LE. I don't think I've ever hyped a game up like Halo 2 before and I certainly haven't since. Probably never will again. In retrospect it's a good Halo game...but it's not my Halo.

All the Halo players that bought up every CoD and their DLC helped contribute to the demise of Halo. I played CoD 2 and CoD4 then never played another one. I'll probably get Titanfall because that is the next logical step for that type of game, from World War 2, to Modern Warfare, and now Sci-Fi with Mechs. All the filler releases in-between was just milking the cash cow.

I know I am full of shit, but I do think that if Halo players stuck to Halo and didn't inflate the sales and player count numbers of CoD that maybe Halo would resemble more of what we expect out of the series.

Sort of related, but COD deserves all the DLC sales it gets, because it actually implements maps into matchmaking for players that spend more money on the game. People that purchase Halo DLC are suckers (myself included) because they don't actually give you any value for the money you just gave them.

There are like 3 people in all of HaloGAF that think Halo CE is far and away the best Halo game in all aspects.

*Raises hand*

Fotos

When I was in high school, there were several opportunities throughout the year where myself and my friends would LAN Halo. We played a mix of Halo 2 and 3. Our favorites were Midship Slayer, Last Resort 1 Flag, and anything on The Pit. We played for hours at a time, talking about random shit the whole time. It was amazing. Simple Halo is best. Just a BR, some strafing, and a quick trigger finger. It's all we needed to have a blast.

Yes

Booshka

Sort of related, but COD deserves all the DLC sales it gets, because it actually implements maps into matchmaking for players that spend more money on the game. People that purchase Halo DLC are suckers (myself included) because they don't actually give you any value for the money you just gave them.

*Raises hand*
I agree with this, even though CoD is on a yearly cycle, the DLC just adds more maps to complement the gameplay you already bough into.  This is exactly what DLC should do, add more content to the playerbase that is invested fully into what you sold them on with a $60 product.  Trying to bring in new players or bring back older players with DLC is foolish, appeal to your current and active player base.

Adding you to my nonexistent Halo CE Master Race checklist.

Booshka

Number of people surprised that a Fracas LAN didn't include Halo CE, the LAN game to end all LAN games: 0

This makes no sense to me as well. Halo CE LAN is a religious experience, except better because it is rare that you get to experience it once every week. I would kill to have Halo CE LANs on a weekly basis.

I think Halo CE had the most well put-together sandbox if you count absolutely everything (weapons / vehicles / grenades / etc) compared to how much it got diluted in the later entries, but to say CE is GOAT is ridiculous. Reach, even with all of its shortcomings, still introduced all sorts of crazy stuff like the Megalo modifications and Forge additions. 2 and 3 added all sorts of innovations in terms of community content and filesharing. It's hard to pinpoint a single bestest game evur for Halo.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Number of people surprised that a Fracas LAN didn't include Halo CE, the LAN game to end all LAN games: 0

We did a few times, but my friends suck at Halo (and therefore hate getting shit on with the pistol), and the only other person I played with that owned CE didn't want to play it. When we did actually play it, it was a lot of fun. Most of it wasn't serious, but it was still great.

Fuchsdh

Different pick ups or perks were a interesting adition to the game but AAs were a little too easy to handle and the ability to change it in real time without any penalty was a wrong move by 343i.

COD tried a simmilar mechanic in MW3, it was terrible.

I think Bungie correctly identified that there were fundamental ways Equipment didn't work--people didn't really know what they were when they picked them up and their single-use nature actively discouraged players from using them. AAs solved those problems, but they also introduced new ones. I think going back and stripping down the AAs to a core and making them pickups solves the issues while still giving players an expanded core of options and more objects to contest and control on the map. Also, AAs are an awesome addition to customs, so still having the ability to spawn with them/loadout system would be great to keep for customs and mini games/Action Sack.

My enjoyment of CE is largely a function of recognizing that it did very little, comparatively, but it did them fairly well. CE doesn't have the best story in the franchise (I find Halo 4's far more interesting overall), but it nails the execution and how the level structure funnels into the narrative in a way none of the other games have thus far been able to touch.

I think I've enjoyed other Halo multiplayer experiences more overall, but the Anniversary lists reminded me that there was still a great game there, overpowered pistol or no.

I think Halo CE had the most well put-together sandbox if you count absolutely everything (weapons / vehicles / grenades / etc) compared to how much it got diluted in the later entries, but to say CE is GOAT is ridiculous. Reach, even with all of its shortcomings, still introduced all sorts of crazy stuff like the Megalo modifications and Forge additions. 2 and 3 added all sorts of innovations in terms of community content and filesharing. It's hard to pinpoint a single bestest game evur for Halo.

The bar has simply been raised since 2001. There's so many community-orientated feature out there that their loss is seen as devastating; that's the gift and curse of being such a powerful community game like Halo.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Why the fuck does Reach have AR starts? Literal garbage.
You're right, but at least they also give you a pistol. 343 didn't even give us that.

Edit : Damn, I really need to LAN some CE soon. Miss it so much.

Ghazi

You're right, but at least they also give you a pistol. 343 didn't even give us that.
I kept switching out to the pistol, it doesn't help that the AR is terrible in Reach.
What do you mean? Reach MLG doesn't have AR starts.

I went into simple Team Slayer and then another playlist, though I don't remember which one, and they both had AR starts with Pistol secondaries. I swear, playing with those loadouts on Reflection was so frustrating, everyone was using Jetpack and I was using Sprint and it was terrible. I didn't know that MLG was like that though, I may give that a go later.

Booshka

BK BONANZA BUBBLE SHIELD CASUAL PARTIES SUCK!!!!!!

i've gone too far.

I am drunk as funk, yet still maintaining coherent thoughts. Your type loud attitude is inexcusable.

I don't care if recent Halo games have better custom game options and gametypes, because you can't modify core game mechanics. Halo CE has the best core mechanics of any Halo, and the Multiplayer gameplay reinforces that.

Also, Halo 4 being more interesting than Halo CE is laughable. As a sideshow circus of retcon and bullshit story, sure, but Halo CE makes sense even if you barely pay attention. If you do get invested in the story and lore, there is plenty to enjoy and speculate on.

Halo 4 seems like a storyline made for the most hardcore of Halo story nerds, that stuck through the shit books and bought into whatever Forerunner storyline they made.

Forerunner lore was built to be mysterious and misunderstood in my opinion. Attempting to make a coherent and tangible storyline based on them is foolish and ruins the wonderment they once had.

Tawpgun

My first halo experience was halo trial for pc. Didnt have an Xbox and no one I knew had one until I moved to a new school.

Loved fighting in clan wars. Blood Gulch was GOAT.

Then I played halo 2 mp at a friends house and fell in love. Went through halo ce campaign and halo 2 campaign all at a friends house. Fell in love with the series.

Played a shitton of halo 2 at my local community center LAN and friends house until I got my Xbox 360 in 2006

Pinpoint the best game by which one had the best mechanics and was the most fun?

Seems pretty simple

mo60

My main issues with Halo 4's campaign were the somewhat confusing story at times and the amount of repetition in the campaign.The Kinghts are also bullet sponges on higher difficulties, but I usually use an automatic to get rid of them so I don;t have to worry about this that much.

Booshka

My main issues with Halo 4's campaign were the somewhat confusing story at times and the amount of repetition in the campaign.The Kinghts are also bullet sponges on higher difficulties, but I usually use an automatic to get rid of them so I don;t have to worry about this that much.

Regardless of what weapon or tactic you use to dispatch them, it doesn't make them a fun enemy to fight. I could fight a Halo CE Elite/Covie pack on Legendary with any weapon and enjoy the combat encounter regardless. I can't say the same about any other Halo Campaign.

Pinpoint the best game by which one had the best mechanics and was the most fun?

Seems pretty simple

There's no easy way for me to pinpoint "overall fun" though. As a standalone game, CE is probably my favorite just because of how fun the guns are to use. That being said, the enemies are a little iffy just because of how AI's progressed through the years, so it can't be perfect in my eyes if you don't actually have something fun to shoot the guns at.

Halo 2 was my favorite in terms of single player because of all of the good bad bugs; glitching out of levels and just straight-up exploring missions like the mountain range in Uprising was a ton of fun and I'd love for it to get Anniversary treatment (untouched with respect to invisible walls etc) so you could go out and see all of that over the interwebs.

I think my community shenanigans peaked in Halo 3 because of how many people played it. I just remember everyone actually using their fileshares, machinima being cranked out left and right, maps and gametypes reaching a ridiculous level while still having a pretty consistently high quality bar.

ODST captured a bit of that Halo 2 campaign vibe but with intentional exploration, of course. Reach was also pretty fun but I feel like a lot of the community had already jumped ship at that point. That being said, the additional Forge / gametype options helped breathe some life into the multiplayer. Not to mention Reach's AI was awesome when they didn't pump the enemies full of 2000% shielding and give them all Fuel Rods.

I'd say Halo PC would probably win by a teeny tiny margin.

mo60

Regardless of what weapon or tactic you use to dispatch them, it doesn't make them a fun enemy to fight. I could fight a Halo CE Elite/Covie pack on Legendary with any weapon and enjoy the combat encounter regardless. I can't say the same about any other Halo Campaign.

The teleporting is the annoying part of the knights and I agree about what you said.

Booshka

The teleporting is the annoying part of the knights and I agree about what you said.

If they didn't have the ability to Teleport they would just sit there and tank shots like the Elites do. Halo 4 AI is terrible, if it was a conceit for graphics it's even more pathetic, Halo Campaign and the enemy encounters was always a cut above other AAA shooter campaigns.

Halo 4 stooped down to their level, very sad for someone who generally respects the AI in Halo, be it Firefight or Campaign. GhaleonEB noticed these faults very quickly and it ultimately turned him off the series. A player that was once synonymous with Halo PvE before Halo 4, that says A LOT.

They should somehow add a "telefrag gun" in Halo 5. Some one-off Promethean weapon that basically rips the Knights out of their warp sequence and tears them a new digital asshole if they try space skittering away.

Mix

Zoojoo and I had a conversation yesterday about how he thinks AA's should be fixed in the next Halo installment. I said to completely remove all of it; Equipment, AA's etc, expect for classic on map power ups with 2 minute timers (or more or less depending on map/size) and keep thrusters because thrusters is King.
Zoojoo said that he thinks it should be on a system similar to infinity (my words, not his) where you earn the ability to reuse your AA based on kills/performance and with on map single use batteries. If you don't recharge your AA in time then it goes away until you pick up another one.

What do y'all think?

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Zoojoo and I had a conversation yesterday about how he thinks AA's should be fixed in the next Halo installment. I said to completely remove all of it; Equipment, AA's etc, expect for classic on map power ups with 2 minute timers (or more or less depending on map/size) and keep thrusters because thrusters is King.
Zoojoo said that he thinks it should be on a system similar to infinity (my words, not his) where you earn the ability to reuse your AA based on kills/performance and with on map single use batteries. If you don't recharge your AA in time then it goes away until you pick up another one.

What do y'all think?

I want the option to use them in customs, along with Equipment and all that stuff. Having lots of freedom should be a major part of the next Halo.

Competitive multiplayer? Maybe Thruster Pack in some playlists.

Fuchsdh

I want the option to use them in customs, along with Equipment and all that stuff. Having lots of freedom should be a major part of the next Halo.

Competitive multiplayer? Maybe Thruster Pack in some playlists.

Overshields and Camo back as powerups, AAs save Jetpack as pickups. Everything we've got would be great to keep in customs.

willow ve

Overshields and Camo back as powerups, AAs save Jetpack as pickups. Everything we've got would be great to keep in customs.
Just go back to the simple arena setup of 3 after they removed most of the equipment. Keep the hitscan BR.

If thrusters had to stay get rid of the third person view.

Booshka

Just go back to the simple arena setup of 3 after they removed most of the equipment. Keep the hitscan BR.

If thrusters had to stay get rid of the third person view.

Bullet travel time and leading is great, especially if you have a skill based utility weapon like the CE Pistol. Dedicated Servers and a good netcode will help foster and balance a medium to long range utility weapon (be it single shot or burst) for the overall sandbox. Hitscan seems like a peer to peer conceit, leading with a Pistol in Halo CE took a ton of skill and experience. If 343 could replicate that with a utility weapon for, "Halo One, Halo 5, The Next installment in the award winning, billion dollar franchise" the sandbox would benefit.

Omni

Maybe gameplay, but definitely not story. That would be stupid as dogshit

Because Halo 4 brought in a truly exciting and breathtaking story to the Halo universe.

r1wo.png

"Don't shoot! I'm unarmed!"

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe gameplay, but definitely not story. That would be stupid as dogshit
Halo 4's story is terrible. I honestly could care less [hi heckfu] about the Forerunner, Didact, Librarian, etc. Not to mention the geas... Man, there's nothing like "it's your destiny" to deflate my love for a character and lore, especially when it was otherwise based in relatively pragmatic, grounded science fiction.

Edit : Some smaller things were done well, though. Some of the interplay between Chief and Cortana was cool. Some of the Spartan Ops story was cool. I mostly liked the involvement of Lasky and the other UNSC folks, though I would have prefered to see Chief be isolated on Requiem for longer.

Omni

Amazing CG cutscenes look great in screenshots and video reviews.

9.8/10

Halsey lost her arm?
She was shot in the shoulder so they cut off her arm above the elbow. Right before she started working with the Elites.

what a complete shitfest, :lol. I still can't believe what they've done with the story

Booshka

She was shot in the shoulder so they cut off her arm above the elbow. Right before she started working with the Elites.

what a complete shitfest, :lol. I still can't believe what they've done with the story

I clearly remember the "Pool Therapy" from Starship Troopers, you're tellin' me Halo couldn't copy that too to save Halsey's arm?

I clearly remember the "Pool Therapy" from Starship Troopers, you're tellin' me Halo couldn't copy that too to save Halsey's arm?
Flash clone replacements for limbs and organs are possible in the Halo universe. Why Kat didn't opt for it, who knows. Maybe there wasn't enough time, maybe she was waiting, or maybe she preferred the mechanical arm. As for Halsey, she's far away from UNSC medical supplies...for now.

Doesn't make it any less retarded.

Booshka

Flash clone replacements for limbs and organs are possible in the Halo universe. Why Kat didn't opt for it, who knows. Maybe there wasn't enough time, maybe she was waiting, or maybe she preferred the mechanical arm. As for Halsey, she's far away from UNSC medical supplies...for now.

Doesn't make it any less retarded.

Since I have a hard time handling the overly-complicated story of Halo as is. I will just go with this as the main story vessel behind Halo's story.

EDIT: Kat's sweet mechanical arm didn't prevent her from gettin shot in the back of the face. Maybe if she had a pool therapy regenerated arm she would have somehow sensed there was an enemy presence.

Omni

I guess the bright side of Halsey losing her arm is that the Elites forgot to bandage the bullet wound up... so she'll probably just bleed out and die. And then we won't have to put up with another Karen Traviss fuelled campaign against her, right? Right?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I like Barrow Roll's idea of making the thruster pack a default ability, replacing sprint. Make it a bit more powerful, with the recharge rate a little faster.

Otherwise, kill off armor abilities forever.

versa7il

I've been craving a little halo for the last couple of days after months without playing so I decided to buy a 3 month. I boot up the game, see Legendary Slayer on the playlists and get HYPED. Game starts and the first thing I see are my teammates sprinting off spawn. What the hell. AR start with no pistol? I thought Legendary was supposed to be classic halo. Back to Throwdown I guess.

GrizzNKev

Banned
I like Barrow Roll's idea of making the thruster pack a default ability, replacing sprint. Make it a bit more powerful, with the recharge rate a little faster.

Otherwise, kill off armor abilities forever.

Remember hope many times that was said after Reach? Remember how hopeful we were that it would happen?

Top Bottom