• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwm0nkey

but yeah guys, that Phil Spencer tweet

jq5D9jVXRXat2.png

Woorloog

Banned
Speaking of Halo CE/PC, why did Gearbox cut the field of view so much for Halo PC?
Restoring the original FOV with the camera trainer makes the PC version so much better.

It's possible, more likely it was an artistic decision. You'll notice in Reach everyone's locomotion is much better, their bodies actually move up and down as they walk and Spartan feet actually match the slope. There was a Bungie Publication on this but half of them don't work anymore. Go back to Halo 3 and you'll notice everyone walks around like their entire upper body is fused.

You can adjust all the parameters for ragdoll effects. So they can be really bouncy and light like Gears of War 2 bodies or really stiff and heavy.

Oh, man, i recall some games having ridiculously light stuff, with slightest touch sending things flying....

ZaneZavin

Neo Member
Massive in reality, or was the reaction inflated?

It was massive in reality. No one knew or cared about The Arbiter. People felt like they were shortchanged and only got half of a Halo(Master Chief) game. I'm sure it didn't help that the ending was abrupt and the last level was played as The Arbiter.

wwm0nkey

It was massive in reality. No one knew or cared about The Arbiter. People felt like they were shortchanged and only got half of a Halo(Master Chief) game. I'm sure it didn't help that the ending was abrupt and the last level was played as The Arbiter.

Its funny though because people actually started to think the Arbiter was awesome after 2 and were a bit pissed he didn't have a bigger role in 3 and was cut out of 4 completely lol

Showing the game off could do the same thing as well.
Yup, that's why I'm more interested in seeing the game for myself than believing words fed to me by PR wizards.
ITT People forget the massive outrage of the general population at playing as The Arbiter.
The general population doesn't know what's best for Halo and it never has. It's a hivemind of ignorance.

Remember when people thought releasing a sequel 3 years later was milking a franchise? This was the mentality back then.. The same mentality that demanded a H3 BR nerf. The same mentality that never understood CE on all levels yet complained about the weapons in that sandbox. The same mentality that would blindly follow what their beloved devs/platform holders fed them without putting some thought into it for themself and judging based off actions.

Halo should be a tight, well-oiled machine right now but the franchise is up in shambles. We, the posters on these silly internet forums, were never the "vocal minority" (Frankie used to say this shit a lot).. we represent the larger demographic of players on a smaller, more focused scale, providing advice on how to help this franchise excel. When you see consistency in suggestions that make sense (faster movement speed, less aim assist, lower kill times, etc.), then maybe those are ideas worth testing, and more importantly show that you're testing.

Woorloog

Banned
The Chief sucks as a character. The Arbiter is great (hell most Covie characters are great, the humans in Halos tend to be meh...).
Me, i always thought Cortana as the Chief's "voice", and the more the Chief himself talked, the worse he became. He should stick to being mute like the Rookie...

Is it petty of me to suggest that I don't want Havok in the next Halo game so I don't have to wait an extra 5 seconds every time I open the game to look at a stupid Havok logo in the intro sequence?

Seriously, what is up with that shit?

Trollin? That is one good aspect of Halo games.

HTupolev

70? 75? Much less than Halo CE had for sure. Don't have the PC version installed with camera trainer so i can't check.
Still more than Halo 2 had...
The original game has an FoV of 70 for single-screen.

If that's what HPC uses, it's not a decrease at all.

Woorloog

Banned
The original game has an FoV of 70 for single-screen.

If that's what HPC uses, it's not a decrease at all.

Hmm. Well, there is a decrease for sure because you can see that from how much you see of the weapons in Halo PC and Halo CE.
EDIT your avatar shows as much AR as the Halo CE shows, whereas in the PC version you would see only from the ammo counter onward

Mistel

Banned
Speaking of ragdoll physics four's deaths really lacked in that aspect. Make them more obvious unlike that one were it looks like they are still alive.

Launching bodies in man cannons is fun as well especially if they hit something.

1PDt61I.png

I am sure by now they got enough constructive discussions. Shes passes the info but its up to the team to actually listen and execute. I still think even before Halo they knew what people wanted for the most part but like i said they wanted to chase other crowds. They scrapped an early build that was too traditional according to them. We'll see...

Karl2177

Speaking of Halo CE/PC, why did Gearbox cut the field of view so much for Halo PC?
Restoring the original FOV with the camera trainer makes the PC version so much better.

Oh, man, i recall some games having ridiculously light stuff, with slightest touch sending things flying....

In addition to the FoV change, you're actually moving slightly slower in Halo PC and every game since

http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=45160

HTupolev

EDIT your avatar shows as much AR as the Halo CE shows, whereas in the PC version you would see only from the ammo counter onward
I'm looking at video of Halo PC on youtube right now, and that's doesn't seem to be entirely true.

Maybe you're being tricked because the HUD elements are closer to the edge of the screen?

Also, HPC crops the 4:3 view to get the 16:9 view, right?

wwm0nkey

I kinda wonder if that tweet deserves its own thread, it really does seem like Phil was like "yeah its happening but you gotta wait until the presser"

Woorloog

Banned
In addition to the FoV change, you're actually moving slightly slower in Halo PC and every game since

http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=45160
I knew later Halos were slower but didn't know that PC version was slower. Now that i think of it... the console version did feel a tad different always.
I'm looking at video of Halo PC on youtube right now, and that's doesn't seem to be entirely true.

Maybe you're being tricked because the HUD elements are closer to the edge of the screen?

Also, HPC crops the 4:3 view to get the 16:9 view, right?

Well. Fuck. That explains it.

CyReN

Speaking of Palmer, was she suppose to be the new Sgt. Johnson or something? Haven't really seen anyone who liked the character.

Woorloog

Banned
Why the hell did Halo 4 play the War Games introduction video for me?
At least it didn't reset my loadouts as i feared...
And Heavies. Why? The concept has sucked since Halo 3, it does not work. It ain't fun. Normal BTB with light vehicles (and Wraith) is wonderful but anything more is horrible.
Speaking of Palmer, was she suppose to be the new Sgt. Johnson or something? Haven't really seen anyone who liked the character.

One of my friends likes her. Explaining why she is a bad character does nothing to him. Gah.

wwm0nkey

My girlfriend isn't into Halo at all but she does like the art and also like Halo 1-2 MP with friends.

Her reaction to Palmer "What the fuck is wrong with dis bitch?"

The Chief sucks as a character. The Arbiter is great (hell most Covie characters are great, the humans in Halos tend to be meh...).
Me, i always thought Cortana as the Chief's "voice", and the more the Chief himself talked, the worse he became. He should stick to being mute like the Rookie...

He talked non stop in CE why he suddendly went mute in Halo 2 and post games? I know they wanted to be a Link esque character then they returned him his voice.

Trey

He did, several times compared to 3 or 4 lines in later games unless they added more dialogue lines in CEA.

I'm not going to go and count lines but Chief talked more than three or four lines before he even got to Earth in H2, and talked more than three of four lines about or with Cortana alone in H3. And H4 he was at his most talkative.

Ora

Banned
Just make new Halo games starring the Arbiter. His character and storyline were the best thing about the original trilogy. I'm talking Halo 2 as a baseline for his story; more cool Covies pls.

And either have something significant happen to Palmer that molds her into a new character that it redeemable with writing worth caring about, or kill her. Bring back our OG Nylund female Spartans.

Just make new Halo games starring the Arbiter. His character and storyline were the best thing about the original trilogy. I'm talking Halo 2 as a baseline for his story; more cool Covies pls.

And either have something significant happen to Palmer that molds her into a new character that it redeemable with writing worth caring about, or kill her. Bring back our OG Nylund female Spartans.
What? Arbiter had a good story but he's nothing but a side character.

But yeah, Palmer must go.

Tawpgun

What? Arbiter had a good story but he's nothing but a side character.

But yeah, Palmer must go.
Side character or not, his story line was the most interesting one. His story line right now still is. Trying to rebuild the elite race and dealing with the storm faction and human attempts to undermine the elites.

Side character or not, his story line was the most interesting one. His story line right now still is. Trying to rebuild the elite race and dealing with the storm faction and human attempts to undermine the elites.
I loved his story and a game about him would be fantastic but I wouldn't say that it was the better thing about the original trilogy, imo.

Chettlar

Banned
Credit for your work is nothing new.

Never said it was. But waiting 30 seconds to jump into a game (for all the videos to play) just about puts me off playing them. It's ridiculous. I should only have to wait as long as it takes to load the menu.

When you use middleware, part of the licensing terms is that you show logos for the middleware on bootup. If you don't want the logos, you have to pay extra (and it's a considerable amount).

You'd be surprised how specifically logos must be displayed in some contracts.. percentages are used, screen areas banned, minimum time to display..

That is ridiculous and stupid. May be the way things are, but stupid nonetheless. Just let me play my game already. How come Halo 3 let me skip everything? It didn't even give me an FBI warning.

There's got to be a better way of doing this, such as perhaps putting it in some intro credits during an opening cutscene or something. I mean, c'mon, blu ray movies don't have a blu ray logo every time you play the video, and we all know you have to pay a royalty to use them.

Trollin? That is one good aspect of Halo games.

715d1348219178-2012-what-my-chances-interview-not-sure-if-serious.png

Chettlar

Banned

I agree. I could totally dig an entire game about Arby.

Why not having something like Halo 4: ODST, except something more like Halo 4: The Arbiter as a side campaign about what was going down with him during some of the events of Halo 4. Just please have the story self-contained so I know what the heck is going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom