• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

CyReN

HaloGAF's slow migration to MLG continues.

HKD9L.gif

Can you justify removing Infection? So many play it every day, it's one of the most popular playlists, for better or for worse.

I completely agree though, playlists badly need a trimming.

Infection is part of the community list, the community stuff can get splintered off if necessary but it really should be under an umbrella that is "community."

Seems when I sign on these days I'm getting more and more games with people outside of the US.
Doesn't necessarily mean the population is smaller, perhaps in the U.S., but I find that super doubtful.
Could it have been a change since 343I took over?

Infection is part of the community list, the community stuff can get splintered off if necessary but it really should be under an umbrella that is "community."
Apologies, missed that.
Don't think it's a good enough solution. I can't reasonably force people looking for Zombies getting a Grifball match etc, it's the same shit we complain about all the time.
You could have individual Community ones, but then we're almost back up to a silly amount of playlists.

I look at Reach and I just not only see terrible playlist management but honestly? Honestly? The UI looks like something someone would do if they weren't really interested in multiplayer and just wanted the bare minimum info. How is this acceptable?

wwm0nkey

While it makes me weep for the younger generation, it very clearly deserves to be.

Needs to be in the suggested "mini-game" or "community" list, not its own thing.

Again just get all of DathHumans games, Infection and GriffBall all into a single playlist and there you go you have a fun playlist instead of 2 separate playlists that do not really need to be their own thing.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I look at Reach and I just not only see terrible playlist management but honestly? Honestly? The UI looks like something someone would do if they weren't really interested in multiplayer and just wanted the bare minimum info. How is this acceptable?
*faints*

Eh, That's a broad stroke.
The Active Roster (a large part of said UI) is a fantastic addition.

But yes, I agree that the removal of info was a poor decision. I guess they felt that people who care enough will go the website? Either way, it was the wrong choice to make.

My guess would be a growing international userbase.
In the past month (when Reach went from 8th to 5th)? I'd consider that highly doubtful.

It's one of the prettiest UIs I've seen and it's pretty quick and smooth, but I agree that it's lacking when it comes to conveying basic info. And the generic Forge World thumbnail for custom maps is a huge oversight. We can't be expected to remember the names of every single Forge map, especially since most of them aren't representative of the map at all (Think Twice? What the hell is that?). Not being able to customize that thumbnail pretty much makes voting for those maps a crap shoot if you can't remember every single name.

I wouldnt go that far but the UI certainly could have a bit more to it, Ill take content over appearance any day but even with that said you could still pack it full of content and make it look nice.

Striker

I'd just do away with Team Snipers completely. Every match I've had in that playlist is just pixel hunting on Coagulation.
If they do Snipers, they have to do three things: no infinite ammo (promotes camping), no radar, and no secondary unless it is a Beam Rifle or some new Forerunner Sniper type weapon.

Also, yeah, the Halo 2 UI for matchmaking took a serious drop in 3 and Reach. No idea why they opted that route.

Active Roster is still great, sure, but the part I don't like is how its all forbidden once you're in a match searching screen. That is at least one thing the H2 Friends List allowed consistently.

Thermite

Halo 2 pretty much laid the proper foundation, why even stray all that much from it:

Rumble Pit
Double Team
Team Slayer
Team Skirmish <- objective
Team Training <- guests go here
Team Snipers <- stop putting team snipers in other lists and keep it confined to this one
Team Hardcore <- mlg
Big Team Battle <- guests go here too, as much as people don't want dumbass guests in BTB the population would plummet without them
Team SWAT <- people like to play this might as well keep it in
H2 Challenge <- make this community bullshit, griffball/zombies

Honestly Team Doubles could just go the fuck away if they're not going to make decent maps for 2v2. We need anything else?

All of my approval.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'd be okay with Living Dead having its own list if it was hidden behind a "Community" grouping like Action Sack, MLG, and Griffball currently are.

Making it a weekend-only playlist is my favorite option, though. That way, the kids can have their Killionaire farming gametype without making the Real Halo playlists anemic.

That's a bit of a broad stroke.
The Active Roster (a large part of said UI) is a fantastic addition.

But yes, I agree that the removal of info was a poor decision. I guess they felt that people who care enough will go the website? Either way, it was the wrong choice to make.

It doesn't even matter if you go to the website or not, even in customs you're unaware of certain basic settings unless specifically told. What's there instead? A pretty picture? A forge world default picture so you don't even know what map you're playing? Active roster is fine but it doesn't take away from a UI that is half-assed in terms of information provided to the player. User Experience in Reach is fucking awful, I'm not about to sugar coat it. The information architecture is a failure. No one knows what they're playing, what they're starting with (unless you throw DMR up there in the gametype but it's still varies on playlist), or what the map looks like if it's Forge World. It just pisses me right off because like I said before it feels like it was designed by someone who doesn't give a shit about multiplayer, and if they do? Then they are really offbase with what people need and want to know before throwing themselves into a playlist or game.

I could design a beautiful website but if it doesn't tell people what they need to know it's fucking pointless.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Rumble Pit
Double Team
Team Slayer
Team Skirmish <- objective
Team Training <- guests go here
Team Snipers <- stop putting team snipers in other lists and keep it confined to this one
Team Hardcore <- mlg
Big Team Battle <- guests go here too, as much as people don't want dumbass guests in BTB the population would plummet without them
Team SWAT <- people like to play this might as well keep it in
H2 Challenge <- make this community bullshit, griffball/zombies

Pretty much what I'd do. Although maybe just throw Grifball and Infection into the Action Sack rotation, then make a separate mini-game playlist for things like Indiana Jones/Jumprope/Yum Yum, etc.

That sounds stupid but I think 343i should beta test their play lists for Halo 4. What I mean with "beta test their playlists" is: Releasing a Multiplayer demo a month before release with their planned "release playlist selection". Collect community impressions, analyse them etc.

Like I said it sounds stupid, so yeah scrap that.

Ken

If they do Snipers, they have to do three things: no infinite ammo (promotes camping), no radar, and no secondary unless it is a Beam Rifle or some new Forerunner Sniper type weapon.

Or an anti-camper function that kills players who stand in the same area for too long.

Worked pretty well to get people moving in Rainbow 6 PC.

/queue argument that camping is a legitimate strategy.

That sounds stupid but I think 343i should beta test their play lists for Halo 4. What I mean with "beta test their playlists" is: Releasing a Multiplayer demo a month before release. Collect community impressions, analyse them etc.

Like I said it sounds stupid, so yeah scrap that.

I think when they come out with playlists they need to come out swinging. Define what a playlist really means. Make titles that actually speak to what people are playing. None of this half-assed "Slayer", then we have how many fucking versions of said "slayer"? Squad? Team? Super? Premium? What does this shit even mean? The average player isn't going to get it. Stop being cute and start telling people what they need to know.

Fracas

#fuckonami
When you have a playlist highlighted in the playlist selection screen, you should be able to press X or something and have a screen come up telling you the gametypes/maps/rules of the playlist.

I think when they come out with playlists they need to come out swinging. Define what a playlist really means. Make titles that actually speak to what people are playing. None of this half-assed "Slayer", then we have how many fucking versions of said "slayer"? Squad? Team? Super? Premium? What does this shit even mean? The average player isn't going to get it. Stop being cute and start telling people what they need to know.
Yeah. I criticize that already:
Seriously 343i? Seriously? First calling the TU playlist Super Slayer? WTF. People don't give a fuck about TU setting or normal. The TS playlist is so popular because it is called Team Slayer. I bet with you about that.(Or I think they do because bsangel wrote in the bulletin: "A significant portion of Halo: Reach players enjoy the Title Update settings." So I'm assuming that more than 1500people voted for TU settings) Why should they play a playlist which is called Super Slayer? That sounds stupid. If I hear Super Slayer, I think about gametypes with overpowered Spartans.

Otherwise with 4, they should not try to please everyone. It's okay for Reach because Bungie started it and it's a train wreck for months.

GhaleonEB

Also, some gametype info should be available when pulling up the scoreboard as well. At the very least display the current round or amount of kills needed to win like Halo 3 did.

I'm hoping the depiction of the start button next to the game type in the Halo 4 screens implies you can get game type details from there while in game. It's long over due.

And yeah, Devo, there's no reason not to have the game rules/settings in the lobby.
Otherwise with 4, they should not try to please everyone. It's okay for Reach because Bungie started it and it's a train wreck for months.

I think they should just make TU universal except for Invasion and whatever specialty game types can't use it. There's no reason not to.

FyreWulff

Seriously 343i? Seriously? First calling the TU playlist Super Slayer? WTF. People don't give a fuck about TU setting or normal. The TS playlist is so popular because it is called Team Slayer. I bet with you about that.(Or I think they do because bsangel wrote in the bulletin: "A significant portion of Halo: Reach players enjoy the Title Update settings." So I'm assuming that more than 1500people voted for TU settings) Why should they play a playlist which is called Super Slayer? That sounds stupid. If I hear Super Slayer, I think about gametypes with overpowered Spartans. Squad Slayer was such a great playlist for a) TU settings and b) no fucking Armor lock. Now I have to play with AL again. C'mon. And do we get bleedthrough back? I had a 1vs1, weakened him with DMR and punched him. With bleedthrough he would have been dead, but no he punched me too, my shields were gone and we killed each other.

Edit.: 343i should just say "God damned it. Lets start from the scratch and re think the playlists".

The TU should just be made global at this point. The only difference now is bloom ratios. Unless 343 thinks Vanilla is actually still available in a meaningful way.

Global TU, delete Anniversary FFA and Anniversary BTB, throw Anniversary requirement on BTB, delete Super Slayer, bring back Squad, delete Squad DLC, delete TU ZB Slayer put ZB gametypes in other lists as a third voting option.

Blueblur1

They should actually make an attempt to appeal to the core Halo community with their playlists. I always felt that Bungie either a) did whatever the hell they wanted and b) avoided updating playlists and settings too much so the average idiot gamer wouldn't be confused. There are some exceptions of course but there were many occasions where they simply didn't listen to community feedback.

I'm hoping the depiction of the start button next to the game type in the Halo 4 screens implies you can get game type details from there while in game. It's long over due.

I had forgotten all about that. I hope that's what that means, too.

kylej

Banned
Walsh just said his dream is to get hired at 343. C'mon Frank, if you guys can afford to bring Shisqo back on board, give Papa Walsh a shot.

CyReN

Walsh just said his dream is to get hired at 343. C'mon Frank, if you guys can afford to bring Shisqo back on board, give Papa Walsh a shot.

It's like the 1th time he's brought it up on stream lol.

I can only see Walshy being a tester or someone like "FourZeroTwo" of the Halo series.

Hey You

Since they aren't going to be making more DLC, they should bundle Noble/Defiant together and sell it discounted, then later on lump CEA together with the DLC and sell that. It's annoying that DLC remains full-price even after the games can be bought new (or used) at substantial discounts.

Then, sure, if you're selling DLC for less than $10, require it and provide a handy link to where they can find it.

Never gonna happen. Halo 3 still full price. The suits at MS obviously doesn't give a shit about their customers.

They should actually make an attempt to appeal to the core Halo community with their playlists. I always felt that Bungie either a) did whatever the hell they wanted and b) avoided updating playlists and settings too much so the average idiot gamer wouldn't be confused. There are some exceptions of course but there were many occasions where they simply didn't listen to community feedback..

Funny thing is people got confused anyway. Since 2 they've been squandering away information regarding what people are playing. Maybe I'm just pissy this week but you design around information you know you need to display, you don't come up with a design then ax whatever the fuck isn't convenient in your "sleek UI." That's the very definition of cheating in design.

Karl2177

The TU should just be made global at this point. The only difference now is bloom ratios. Unless 343 thinks Vanilla is actually still available in a meaningful way.

Global TU, delete Anniversary FFA and Anniversary BTB, throw Anniversary requirement on BTB, delete Super Slayer, bring back Squad, delete Squad DLC, delete TU ZB Slayer put ZB gametypes in other lists as a third voting option.

Can't do that, sadly.

Hey You

Also is there a reason this was done away with:

Ueq0u.jpg

Imagine how useful this would be in regular mm too?

The more I look at Halo 2 I realize how many steps back the multiplayer took.

That would be good, but actually tell us what the Starting & Secondary weapons are, not just "Map Default".

Funny thing is people got confused anyway. Since 2 they've been squandering away information regarding what people are playing. Maybe I'm just pissy this week but you design around information you know you need to display, you don't come up with a design then ax whatever the fuck isn't convenient in your "sleek UI." That's the very definition of cheating in design.

But at least you can see the different armor permutations?
:p

FyreWulff

Can't do that, sadly.

"Please redeem the included Anniversary Map Pack code that came with your copy of Halo: Anniversary for use in the full Halo: Reach, available via Games on Demand and your local retailers. The demo period for these playlists has ended. You can still enjoy Anniversary Classic"

Not my problem that 343 didn't rig up Anniversary to allow Noble and Defiant to load, nor use Reach disc maps as optional selections in those playlists.

Overdoziz

Banned

There would be an HBO meltdown if TU went global.

Blueblur1

Never gonna happen. Halo 3 still full price. The suits at MS obviously doesn't give a shit about their customers.

That reminds of something I'm curious about. I wonder how Reach's DLC sales stack up compared to Halo 3. The seemingly smaller population numbers give me the impression that Reach DLC might not be selling as well.

"Please redeem the included Anniversary Map Pack code that came with your copy of Halo: Anniversary for use in the full Halo: Reach, available via Games on Demand and your local retailers. The demo period for these playlists has ended. You can still enjoy Anniversary Classic"

No they cannot do that.
We will always be stuck with those Anniversary playlists.

Karl2177

So you're forcing them into Damnation, Prisoner, Beaver Creek, and Hang 'em High? No. That's alienating the consumer too much. I've thought it over many times, but the lowest you can get the Anniversary playlists to is 3 lists. BTB, Firefight, and 4v4. You could throw in another for FFA, but it isn't entirely necessary.

Plus, you're just pulling a EA/Bioware and saying buy more shit to get the best experience.

FyreWulff

No they cannot do that.
We will always be stuck with those Anniversary playlists.

You do realize that the Reach side of Anniversary comes up as "Halo: Reach Anniversary Multiplayer Demo" when launched from the dashboard, right?

They can either get everyone over to mainline Reach because every person with Anniversary has a map pack code to redeem to use in it, or they can make Anniversary BTB TU and Big Team Battle vanilla if they actually believe "Vanilla Reach will remain available". Halo 2 and 3 couldn't sustain two redundant BTBs for very long, why would Reach suddenly be able to?

I know they don't WANT to, but I see nothing that actually requires them to keep those playlists in. So either consolidate, or make use of the fact that we're stuck with two BTBs and actually act like we have a choice if they're going to hold the line on their "default Reach will remain default" promise.

So you're forcing them into Damnation, Prisoner, Beaver Creek, and Hang 'em High? No. That's alienating the consumer too much. I've thought it over many times, but the lowest you can get the Anniversary playlists to is 3 lists. BTB, Firefight, and 4v4. You could throw in another for FFA, but it isn't entirely necessary.

Plus, you're just pulling a EA/Bioware and saying buy more shit to get the best experience.

They got a map pack code included with Anniversary. They can still play customs on any map. Maybe 343 should have let Anniversary load Defiant or Noble so Anniversary disc players actually had a reason to buy more DLC, or you know, released a Reach Mythic with all the maps. If they had made it so Anniversary playlists could load disc/DLC optionally, they could have just thrown an Anni requirement on the normal BTB and then you wouldn't have the silly split population.

There really isn't shit 343i can do that's going to make us content or HBO content or the vast majority of players content because Reach is a mish mash of several different ideas and philosophies that contradict each other and the Halo we came to know and love. As much as I loathe some of the playlists in Classic I prefer it to any of the bloom DMR/AA bullshit in others. And I much prefer the ZB game types (although seriously armor abilities with that too? why?). Without 343 these wouldn't even exist and I might stop playing altogether. But still I really have to do wonder why Squad Slayer of all things had to take a dive when everything but classic/mlg now has certain armor abilities (correct me if I'm wrong?).

Playlist cap and the fact that 343 introduced an achievement related to Armor Lock in the DLC they made.

Top Bottom