• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

True skill works in Arena, I have to believe that whatever makes it work there isn't turned on in the other playlists. :p
Exactly. TrueSkill works. Most playlists in Reach use it with very loose restrictions, and DNFs and guests also diminish results.

Trueskill restrictions should scale by real-time skill distributions, there should be fewer playlists overall, and guests should be restricted to certain playlists.

chaosz3ro

Neo Member
Exactly. TrueSkill works. Most playlists in Reach use it with very loose restrictions, and DNFs and guests also diminish results.

Trueskill restrictions should scale by real-time skill distributions, there should be fewer playlists overall, and guests should be restricted to certain playlists.

guests being able to play pretty much every list is one of the worst decisions they made with reach

True skill works in Arena, I have to believe that whatever makes it work there isn't turned on in the other playlists. :p

Yeah it's just scaled to be very important in Arena, including impacting search times.

It's basically the same difference between Ranked and Social playlists in Halo 3.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Halo 4 Perk Idea

Category: Grenades

Effect: Increase grenade radius, damage and grenade count

Name:
Remember Reach

CyReN

What if classic mode playlist in Halo 6 is armor lock and bloom in a grey room..

5MZup.jpg

guests being able to play pretty much every list is one of the worst decisions they made with reach
It was a nice idea, giving people the freedom to share the entire multiplayer buffet with friends and family. Perhaps if they had scaled back playlists allowing guests over time it would have been better.

FyreWulff

Yeah it's just scaled to be very important in Arena, including impacting search times.

It's basically the same difference between Ranked and Social playlists in Halo 3.

Arena also forces you to play the minimum amount of games for TS to figure you out before it'll show your division. So the people that are playing it are at least playing til they get a division, which means TS has a better idea about more of the population in that list.

Also, re: the Grade thing. Apparently a couple people at HBO found a post that Reach is (supposed) to have a minimum rank of Sergeant before you can play campaign co-op. So I guess Reach does support minimum rank requirements to play a playlist, and I somehow set it off. TheMoreYouKnow.gif

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Also, re: the Grade thing. Apparently a couple people at HBO found a post that Reach is (supposed) to have a minimum rank of Sergeant before you can play campaign co-op. So I guess Reach does support minimum rank requirements to play a playlist, and I somehow set it off. TheMoreYouKnow.gif
Strange. Is this so that people will play the campaign before having it spoiled for them? Or that they'll learn the bare basics of gameplay before playing co-op? I remember that Bungie implemented Campaign matchmaking a week or two after launch to avoid spoiler players -- maybe this is a similar measure.

Ramirez

Granted I haven't played The Arena in a long time, but I never felt the search times were any worse than the other playlists.

Striker

yep

matchmaking better work more like 2 or 3 in 4 because I can't take another shitfest like reach
It will be like 3 and Reach, Trueskill isn't going anywhere. Just would like a decent amount of ranked; limit the unranked things so things aren't out of control, i.e. enough of the awful duplicate playlists. Do a Team Training and if possible, like DLC, make it so a player can be more slayer-oriented or objective based, so he/she will be more likely to be matched up with a slayer game. Training can be your typical 4v4 Slayer/Objective stuff with guests enabled, no party restrictions, etc.

Magni

That thread (the people talking not having enough time to be competitive) reads like my future, I got a new job, and at some point im most likely going to be asked to move around/ put in a lot of time into work. Im determined not to let that get in the way of Halo 4, I know its going to happen at some point though. :(

I had to quit Halo for eight months (going abroad for school/work) and I made it back without too much trouble, the only thing is I can't play competitive anymore. I used to have a team on Gamebattles, and playing with them (whether it was GB customs, random customs, MLG playlist, or scrub MM) was fun, now I'm all by myself (well, since this month, my roommate is on the Xbox with me :D ) My friends list is more or less empty and I'm almost always the only one on Halo. EuroHaloGAF, hit me up!

Devo, I'd play with you (I mostly play Classic, that or SWAT and MLG), but the 9 hour difference might be tough to handle :(

Hahaha, oh wow. Please tell me he doesn't try to play MM with that connection..

Mass effect 3, skyrim, left 4 dead? All equally terrible.

Well fuck you, Elzar. Fuck you right in the ear.
Jk.
Not just the ear. I'll hire some kind of robot to do it. Then again, you might like that.

Also, my granddad's awesome. "Your GF broke up with you? Go get wasted."

Mass effect 3, skyrim, left 4 dead? All equally terrible.
Mass Effect 3 is, more often than not, a good game until you get to the ending which leaves you with a very bad taste in your mouth. Left 4 Dead is a quality game but it didn't have any staying power for me. Skyrim is an ocean three inches deep.

#OhSnap

Mass Effect 3 is, more often than not, a good game until you get to the ending which leaves you with a very bad taste in your mouth. Left 4 Dead is a quality game but it didn't have any staying power for me. Skyrim is an ocean three inches deep.

#OhSnap

What you're forgetting here, is that Elzar has a particularly bad taste when it comes to games. So anything he says about that subject should be taken with a grain of salt.

Also, anyone wants to play some MLG right now? I don't want to play CTF with randoms on my team.

True, Journey is the only game worth playing this year!

Seriously, buy a PS3 for this 3 hour game, people.

I really do wanna play journey, I must admit.

#OhSnap

Left 4 dead was soured for me by idiots I often played with.

Playing castlevania Harmony of despair with Krow and xand at the moment, seems like a great game, awesome music as well.

Patiently waiting for bioshock infinite and the obvious.

Homeboyd

So that OXM issue with "new Halo 4 info" comes out Wednesday right? Wonder if it's anything substantial (and/or "new").

Im ready for the next info dump.

Homeboyd

My guess it will be the same info dump we got during GDC.
Yeah that's what I'm thinking too... :/

Didnt jessica say she would work on getting some images or vid of one of the new multiplayer maps for this week's bulletin? I hope so!

Also, even though I wasn't able to join the HaloGaf march madness tourney, I'm only 2 picks behind you David... And you have UNC winning it all! No way man!

(Although I have Kansas which also looks unlikely)

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I really do wanna play journey, I must admit.
I think it'll end up being the one game I constantly (annoying;y) push people towards playing this year. So powerful, and such an amazing, fresh co-op experience. The music is Shadow of the Colossus levels of greatness. The environments are just...

Yeah. We're going to play it again tomorrow and hope we get paired with a new player so we can see them experiment too.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking too... :/

Didnt jessica say she would work on getting some images or vid of one of the new multiplayer maps for this week's bulletin? I hope so!

Also, even though I wasn't able to join the HaloGaf math madness tourney, I'm only 2 picks behind you David... And you have UNC winning it all! No way man!

(Although I have Kansas which also looks unlikely)

Vids would be awesome, but I'm pretty sure she said images and even that was a maybe. If you truly loved me Jessica, you would make good on that 'promise'. :p

daedalius

I think it is time to bring this back.

gif3bqadk.gif

sogood.gif

I'll just leave that on my other monitor all day.

I saw this during the vidoc too. The BR's reticle implies its not as accurate as the H2 BR. Hopefully its at least better than the H3 BR.

I wouldn't make any assumptions based on the reticule we are seeing from the alpha. A no-spread hitscan BR is going to be pretty accurate at the proper ranges, I imagine.

Is there anywhere I can find a video of most of the matches at the redbull lan?

sogood.gif

I'll just leave that on my other monitor all day.

I wouldn't make any assumptions based on the reticule we are seeing from the alpha. A no-spread hitscan BR is going to be pretty accurate at the proper ranges, I imagine.

Is there anywhere I can find a video of most of the matches at the redbull lan?

That gif is awesome but I hope there are less pre-canned animations and more natural looking physical reactions. I think I remember Reach having almost the exact same death animation going up against the shotgun nearly every time (correct me if I'm wrong), where his arms kinda shoot forward and his body arcs back and just falls over. I'm pretty sure halo 3 didn't have that, which is probably one of the reasons I love that shotgun so much more.

TheOddOne

Just read Games TM issue 150 and yeah there isn't much info there. It is a well written article though.

The only thing that stuck out was:
"We're taking him [Chief] to places that aren't ordinary, that aren't necessarily predictable, and things are gonna happen to him and the people around him, both good guys and bad guys. They're literally going to change the universe and metaphorically his universe, put him in situations he's never been in before. He's still going to be Chief, and he's still going to be tenacious and stoic. Most of his problems have been decided down a gun barrel, but that's is not necessarily true any more." - Frank O'Conner, Lionhead Studios

Top Bottom