• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

Havok

That was also what I got out of Cryptum on the topic.

I look forward to the Thursday Firefight Challenges weekly, but:

Kill 10 enemy vehicles in Firefight Matchmaking.

Kill 150 enemies on Waterfront in Firefight Matchmaking.​
No.
Hey, count your blessings, it could have been the 'Kill 1000 enemies on Waterfront' challenge, which always makes me shake my head.

Wow the exchange rate of space allards has really been hit by the economy.

Well once you rank up past Nova to Forerunner, credit income starts increasing so much that inflation gets to be a problem. Not to mention all of those damn Super Jackpots flooding the market.

GhaleonEB

When was the last time you played that map? Not saying it's gotten better or anything, but it's fun every once in a while if you move around the outer rim of the map (especially playing hide and seek with the last enemy). But the combo of Waterfront and the vehicles challenge is shitastic.

It's been a while. My main problem with the map is how long the drop ships come in - they settle down and just carpet bomb for a good minute solid. I grew very sour on Waterfront back when I was playing primarily Firefight Limited. With drop ships every wave, they would be on the map for nearly 1/2 the running time of the entire game, so the only viable strategy was to huddle somewhere and try not to get nailed by them while simultaneously fighting Covenant. I suppose now that I play a sniper predominantly I could hide on the outer rim of the map (and it's easier in Arcadefight to knock the turrets off).

Still, I'll take a pass. I can count the games I've enjoyed on Waterfront on one hand.
Hey, count your blessings, it could have been the 'Kill 1000 enemies on Waterfront' challenge, which always makes me shake my head.

Yeah. The kill 1,000 guys on any map is a bit much - at my best, in Doubles, that's four games minimum (depending on the map, more).

Fuchsdh

It's been a while. My main problem with the map is how long the drop ships come in - they settle down and just carpet bomb for a good minute solid. I grew very sour on Waterfront back when I was playing primarily Firefight Limited. With drop ships every wave, they would be on the map for nearly 1/2 the running time of the entire game, so the only viable strategy was to huddle somewhere and try not to get nailed by them while simultaneously fighting Covenant. I suppose now that I play a sniper predominantly I could hide on the outer rim of the map (and it's easier in Arcadefight to knock the turrets off).

Still, I'll take a pass. I can count the games I've enjoyed on Waterfront on one hand.

Yeah. The kill 1,000 guys on any map is a bit much - at my best, in Doubles, that's four games minimum (depending on the map, more).

Firefight Doubles on Installation 04 is probably my favorite option now. Most of the other FF maps just aren't as interesting to me because they don't provide the same movement as ODST's, with clear zones to defend and fall back to.

I think that was part of it, but wasn't it also to do with Humanity on the run from the Flood and started taking over Forerunner & Forerunner protected worlds? That the tensions that Tunavi mentioned after the Flood became too big of a threat for Humanity to handle without spreading out into Forerunner controlled territory?

That's what I thought he meant by "expanding too much" - fleeing into Forerunner territory.

The post was unclear. The implication I got was that because humans were getting so powerful, they decided to expand, when in reality the only reason why the human-Forerunner war happened was because the Flood was forcing humanity into Forerunner-controlled space. It's why I said the comment wasn't "entirely correct." Several questions have yet been answered about the early relationship between humans and Forerunners. For example: Why were the Forerunners so content with humanity having their own territory and allowing them to advance so far technologically?

GhaleonEB

The post was unclear. The implication I got was that because humans were getting so powerful, they decided to expand, when in reality the only reason why the human-Forerunner war happened was because the Flood was forcing humanity into Forerunner-controlled space. It's why I said the comment wasn't "entirely correct." Several questions have yet been answered about the early relationship between humans and Forerunners. For example: Why were the Forerunners so content with humanity having their own territory and allowing them to advance so far technologically?

To be fair, your post also wasn't entirely clear. :p

I didn't feel like nitpicking; the human expansion into Forerunner territory was close enough for me, even though further elaboration provides context. In my line of work, that's what we call being directionally correct. There's certainly more to the story than that, but he wasn't wrong.

Tawpgun

I want to find out why Humanity was given the Mantle. Halo 1-3 painted the forerunners in a really noble light, and their mantle was passed on to humanity.

After reading Cryptum, forerunners were assholes, and humanity isn't much different. I know the Librarian had a thing for humans, maybe the 3rd book/Halo 4 will explain why the forerunners gave their technology to their enemies.

FyreWulff

Oh man, screw that Flat Tire challenge. I swear every time that comes up the game decides to stop giving you enemy vehicles. And 10 of them? I'll hit the cR cap before I see that many.

I'm tempted to just skip today and lock my dailies on Bungie.net at 555 completed when they freeze in a week.

Fuchsdh

Oh man, screw that Flat Tire challenge. I swear every time that comes up the game decides to stop giving you enemy vehicles. And 10 of them? I'll hit the cR cap before I see that many.

I'm tempted to just skip today and lock my dailies on Bungie.net at 555 completed when they freeze in a week.

Installation 04 gives you 3-6 Banshees in a typical game. A double tap with the sniper rifle takes them out nicely.

(They don't necessarily come each round, but if you take them out ASAP they seem to get replaced pretty quickly.)

I still
curled up in a little ball crying
laughed.

:lol :lol

Is anyone else going to participate in the Halo 3 Server Repopulation Day? (April 7)

I know the netcode is terrible, but I'm really excited to play on Valhalla again with potentially short waiting periods.

I think my kids are going to go nuts for Minecraft.

Any word if Minecraft sealed the deal with Microsoft to do constant updating?

TheOddOne

I think my kids are going to go nuts for Minecraft.
I dunno, Microsoft has been very reluctant to allow frequent updates; which is my reason for not picking it up btw. Last we heard about it was that 4J Studios (the developers of the XBLA version) where still "negotiating" and since then we have not heard a peep.

GhaleonEB

That's true, and a lesson learned: Don't bother posting one minute before you have to head out the door.

Hah, I make that exact mistake all the time.
20$ XBLA game. This is going to be interesting.

Not the first, though. Microsoft seems to be moving away from the distinction between XBLA and other games; I think the next Xbox will have a more unified online store with a spectrum of price ranges; the walls between Arcade and Games on Demand get thinner with each update.

I'm okay with $20 for a game that's worth $20; of course, I'll be checking reviews and impressions first.

FyreWulff

Hah, I make that exact mistake all the time.

Not the first, though. Microsoft seems to be moving away from the distinction between XBLA and other games; I think the next Xbox will have a more unified online store with a spectrum of price ranges; the walls between Arcade and Games on Demand get thinner with each update.

I'm okay with $20 for a game that's worth $20; of course, I'll be checking reviews and impressions first.

I'm passing on it for now because 4J is the developer. The way they handled Perfect Dark XBLA was subpar.

I'll consider buying it if they actually update the game more than once.

edit: in other news, the new Ridge Racer has suddenly gotten my interest

:lol :lol

Is anyone else going to participate in the Halo 3 Server Repopulation Day? (April 7)

I know the netcode is terrible, but I'm really excited to play on Valhalla again with potentially short waiting periods.
Are you not at PAX East? ;-)

Well they are ancient enemies. The first Human-Forerunner war was because the Humans were getting too powerful, expanding too much, didn't follow the Forerunners Mantle.

Think about a scenario where the planet Chief is heading toward was a shield world. He activates it and boom. The long lost forerunners are back and they want their place at the head of Galaxy back. But even, then it makes us seem like the bad guys.

I wonder how they could make the forerunners have an "evil" or at least morally ambiguous motive.
Cryptum and Primordium spoilers ahead:
The Didact knows that the time of the Forerunner is over. He and his wife agree on this statement.("For I fear the time of the Forerunners is drawing to a close") Of course, the Didact said this at the time when they did not know about the cure. Otherwise The Librarian was always on the side of Humanity. Always had a greater plan. Let me fight against the Didact in Halo 4. But shall arise both armies against the Flood in Halo 5.

FyreWulff

We'll be too busy competing in the PAX Halo Reach tournament, which I assume will use non-TU gametypes and disc maps. :p

All the PAX Halo tournaments have been poorly run, and the people running the show still won't hand the reigns to another guy.

Basically picture gametypes that kinda sorta try to appeal to MLG and kinda sorta try to appeal to mainstream players and just come out as a truckload of crap.

Oh, and if you try to give the guy that runs them any other feedback than "thanks", he deletes your posts off the PAX forums thread since they gave him moderator abilities. And will then bitch that people ask him questions again and doesn't realize they asked them again because he fucking deleted them the last time they were asked.

Halo tournaments run by PAX itself are a waste of time. You are seriously better off just organizing your own in a hotel room. Or coming to the Halo freeplay in PAX, which is run by people that actually play Halo. Also yes, it's always disc maps and some sort of variant of the disc gametypes.

I didn't play in any of the tournaments at HaloFest but I imagine those went a little more smoothly than the normal PAX offerings.

At East last year the tournament took place exclusively on Condemned and Highlands. I'll just let that sink in for HaloGAF.

It was lots of fun and I was just excited to play on new maps, even if it meant the tourney was a bit unpredictable. Who takes those things seriously anyways? It's PAX, not MLG.

All the PAX Halo tournaments have been poorly run, and the people running the show still won't hand the reigns to another guy.

Basically picture gametypes that kinda sorta try to appeal to MLG and kinda sorta try to appeal to mainstream players and just come out as a truckload of crap.

Oh, and if you try to give the guy that runs them any other feedback than "thanks", he deletes your posts off the PAX forums thread since they gave him moderator abilities. And will then bitch that people ask him questions again and doesn't realize they asked them again because he fucking deleted them the last time they were asked.

Halo tournaments run by PAX itself are a waste of time. You are seriously better off just organizing your own in a hotel room. Or coming to the Halo freeplay in PAX, which is run by people that actually play Halo. Also yes, it's always disc maps and some sort of variant of the disc gametypes.

To be honest if I was somewhere like Pax I would prefer those middle ground games myself. MLG might be Halo at its most competitive, but a balance can be found thats more fun for the mainstream whilst still being pretty competitive. What kind of settings is he using?

The whole deleting posts thing sounds comical though.

EDIT: Lol I couldn't imagine going somewhere to play Reach on Lan, especially when you have Halo 1, 2 and 3, play a good Halo game instead. :D

I didn't play in any of the tournaments at HaloFest but I imagine those went a little more smoothly than the normal PAX offerings.

At East last year the tournament took place exclusively on Condemned and Highlands. I'll just let that sink in for HaloGAF.

It was lots of fun and I was just excited to play on new maps, even if it meant the tourney was a bit unpredictable. Who takes those things seriously anyways? It's PAX, not MLG.
I take it serious.

FyreWulff

To be honest if I was somewhere like Pax I would prefer those middle ground games myself. MLG might be Halo at its most competitive, but a balance can be found thats more fun for the mainstream whilst still being pretty competitive. What kind of settings is he using?

The whole deleting posts thing sounds comical though.

There's middle ground gametypes and then there's "oh, MLG uses a BR right? We should put that in the settings, somewhere"

And then suddenly flares in your face.

And then the MLG teams show up and are placed in separate brackets so they'll face each other for finals.

All 3 above things are true about PAX-run Halo tournaments. At least the MLG guys shook our hands after pushing our shit in. The guy running it looks at people like he's mad that you signed up to play.

Meanwhile, the Halo Freeplay has more varied gametypes, and someone (me) brings an HDD so the latest gametypes and map variants can be used, and is run by an Enforcer that actually plays Halo.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
The guy running it looks at people like he's mad that you signed up to play.

Not sure if you're talking about the same person, but the guy who helped coordinate last year's PAX East tournament couldn't have been nicer or more professional.

There's middle ground gametypes and then there's "oh, MLG uses a BR right? We should put that in the settings, somewhere"

And then suddenly flares in your face.

And then the MLG teams show up and are placed in separate brackets so they'll face each other for finals.

All 3 above things are true about PAX-run Halo tournaments. At least the MLG guys shook our hands after pushing our shit in. The guy running it looks at people like he's mad that you signed up to play.

Meanwhile, the Halo Freeplay has more varied gametypes, and someone (me) brings an HDD so the latest gametypes and map variants can be used, and is run by an Enforcer that actually plays Halo.

Br should be in all settings everywhere. :p

To be fair the stuff you mentioned didnt sound that questionable, maybe allowing MLG teams to participate, but it would have been awesome to get the chance to beat those guys.

Lack of updated maps/ gametypes does sound a little weak.

heckfu

Banned
Ugh I probably won't be able to play at all in April. I'm getting shipped off to Eutaw, Alabama next Saturday to work for a month and since I'll be living in provided housing I won't have most of my own stuff.

Super frown.

Edit: oh Halo 3 day is on a Saturday...may drive home for that.

Gazzawa

I'm game for Halo 3 repopulation day.
If we bring it back to the Top 10 I will be impressed.
It'll be like when Rage Against the Machine got Xmas #1 on the charts.

All of HaloGAF should participate that way every one could talk about how much better H3 was/is and then we can shortly after begin the cycle again.

We don't do that already? :p

If there are a lot of persons going to play that day, I might as well join in. I already know one person, that will join me :p

FyreWulff

Br should be in all settings everywhere. :p

To be fair the stuff you mentioned didnt sound that questionable, maybe allowing MLG teams to participate, but it would have been awesome to get the chance to beat those guys.

Lack of updated maps/ gametypes does sound a little weak.

You know the game is over when your ringer, the guy that regularly 25-0s Generals that challenge him to 1v1s, goes "what the fuck is happening" and you're down 44-10.

It's the only tournament where we did well on Construct. Then we foolishly let the map be switched to Guardian. BAD MOVE

edit: also, I passed up playing against Bungie for Recon at the same PAX (2008). The other two we sent to that one lost to Lukems. In hindsight, I would have chosen my versus Halo differently that day.

Ugh I probably won't be able to play at all in April. I'm getting shipped off to Eutaw, Alabama next Saturday to work for a month and since I'll be living in provided housing I won't have most of my own stuff.

Super frown.

Edit: oh Halo 3 day is on a Saturday...may drive home for that.

Wow, Alabama has such an unusual correctional system.

Top Bottom