• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

rukizzel

Neo Member
god why did i start this bracket pool just to be embarrassed. you should've joined man!

The last few years I've just given up on them. My college basketball experience does nothing for predicting March Madness results. Then I end up getting mad.

I've read those before, try not get all in a huff for once.
It's like saying this car sucks so the internal combustion engine is a useless invention. It's super-dumb. Huff justified.

You really need to learn how to reword yourself without coming off as an ass.
Saying that something ignorant is ignorant isn't being an ass. It's not a "bad" word, and it clearly was not used as an insult in this context.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
There's inevitably going to be a NeoGAF Crew for Max Payne 3, but I thought I'd let folks know that I'm going to make a HaloGAF Crew for Max Payne 3 (our Crew will also carry over to GTA V) so if you're part of HaloGAF and are buying Max Payne 3, shoot me a PM with your GT.

Only person I know so far is Ram.

There's inevitably going to be a NeoGAF Crew for Max Payne 3, but I thought I'd let folks know that I'm going to make a HaloGAF Crew for Max Payne 3 (our Crew will also carry over to GTA V) so if you're part of HaloGAF and are buying Max Payne 3, shoot me a PM with your GT.

Only person I know so far is Ram.
Tell Ram to get back on Gears 3 and maybe I'll think about Max Payne 3.

Ramirez

Tell Ram to get back on Gears 3 and maybe I'll think about Max Payne 3.

di-T1MH.gif

Just search the gamertag "MLG Gametypes" in the File Share and download all the gametypes and maps that are in the file share, that's the best you are going to get. Or just take your friends into the MLG playlist under the Community section.

Specifically I am looking for a CTF gametype with no bloom. So basically you cannot create a no bloom gamestype?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Can we stop with the Zero/Low gravity spaces on maps? I don't think I've played on one where I said, yea, this is definitely the best way to go. Am I alone on this?

Striker

High Ground was pretty shit afterall. It was like Narrows and Standoff filled with terrible spawns, no matter it if it's slayer or flag. Spawn, grab Sniper at cave, walk five steps, get grenaded from behind because they just spawned on the side wall.

Powerhouse had great initial promise, but it got shafted by an awful flag placement at launch. Should have re-designed the actual building if it wasn't working for a flag sitting. Not like the actual building had any usage in the campaign.

Ramirez

Valhalla is a retarded midship.

In other words I don't get the Highground/Powerhouse comparison. They're nothing alike.

They have similar visuals, and one base, so I think that's why people say that. That being said, Powerhouse has far too much unused space, and High Ground is a superior map.

Once again, I feel like I'm on a different planet than Striker. 1 Flag High Ground was one of the few highlights of TO in 3. There were so many ways to attack the base, and equipment allowed some pretty nice things for the sandbox as well. Draining the flag room, lifting over the gate/up to laser, dropping bubble shields to cover a guy running to the beach. I still say if we have to have AA's, make them like equipment, one use and done. :p

Can we stop with the Zero/Low gravity spaces on maps? I don't think I've played on one where I said, yea, this is definitely the best way to go. Am I alone on this?

No, no you're not.

Striker

For Flag, High Ground I liked better. But overall and for slayer I liked Powerhouse more. Too many spawn problems in HG to overcome that.

That side wall on the beach was a prominent spawn, as were the ones behind the cannon and the small ass room in the back where two spikers sat.

heckfu

Banned

I mostly agree but on Condemned it makes for a nice trap and it's not like the exclusive way to go. I prefer no zero grav areas as well, but I still want someone to eventually figure out a way to do it correctly.

Thermite

Joke post? I don't there's anyone who actually liked that stupid shi-

I mostly agree but on Condemned it makes for a nice trap and it's not like the exclusive way to go. I prefer no zero grav areas as well, but I still want someone to eventually figure out a way to do it correctly.

Mother of god. They do exist.

Ramirez

There is no way to do it correctly, floating around losing complete control of your character sucks, leave it behind. PLEASE.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Please give me the ability to add low gravity to all maps. Forge 3.0 will finally give us a good version of Midship.

stephen08

I think Trueskill itself is working just fine but it comes down to a bunch of factors. In any given list the game is trying to match you with players you have a good connection with, have the same DLC, and are a close match in Trueskill and to do it all quickly. With the skill requirement there is a bit of flexibility. Based purely on my own experience I think the game isn't matching you up with people of your skill necessarily but instead is trying to balance the team's overall trueskill relative to their opponents. Most games where there is an anchor and someone to carry them it seems to be the case for both sides.

It sucks but you have to sacrifice something. Either longer match times, worse connections, or no DLC. If you want that, there is the option for close skill matched games. I have no idea how well it works though.

It makes me think that H4's best bet for solving some of these issues would be to drastically reduce the number of lists and keep the population as tightly grouped as possible. If we look at the minimum options we could probably get away with we have FFA, 2v2, 4v4, and 8v8 lists. Have Slayer be the top two voting options with an objective being the third choice and enforce large party matching across the board. Fringe lists could come and go as they did in H3.

I think Trueskill itself is working just fine but it comes down to a bunch of factors. In any given list the game is trying to match you with players you have a good connection with, have the same DLC, and are a close match in Trueskill and to do it all quickly. With the skill requirement there is a bit of flexibility. Based purely on my own experience I think the game isn't matching you up with people of your skill necessarily but instead is trying to balance the team's overall trueskill relative to their opponents. Most games where there is an anchor and someone to carry them it seems to be the case for both sides.

It sucks but you have to sacrifice something. Either longer match times, worse connections, or no DLC. If you want that, there is the option for close skill matched games. I have no idea how well it works though.

It makes me think that H4's best bet for solving some of these issues would be to drastically reduce the number of lists and keep the population as tightly grouped as possible. If we look at the minimum options we could probably get away with we have FFA, 2v2, 4v4, and 8v8 lists. Have Slayer be the top two voting options with an objective being the third choice and enforce large party matching across the board. Fringe lists could come and go as they did in H3.

Just gonna requote myself.

Halo 2 pretty much laid the proper foundation, why even stray all that much from it:

Rumble Pit
Double Team
Team Slayer
Team Skirmish <- objective
Team Training <- guests go here
Team Snipers <- stop putting team snipers in other lists and keep it confined to this one
Team Hardcore <- mlg
Big Team Battle <- guests go here too, as much as people don't want dumbass guests in BTB the population would plummet without them
Team SWAT <- people like to play this might as well keep it in
H2 Challenge <- make this community bullshit, griffball/zombies

Honestly Team Doubles could just go the fuck away if they're not going to make decent maps for 2v2. We need anything else?

stephen08

Yeah that's cutting right to the core of it. When it comes to stuff like snipers and SWAT I definitely agree about keeping it out of regular lists. One thing that I overlooked was Co-op and Firefight lists which shouldn't need more than 3 lists total.

Whether the BTB population would plummet or not, I'm not interested in playing with guests. I would rather wait longer for a good game than shorter for a bad game with a bunch of idiots. Ranked BTB in Halo2 was pretty much my favorite thing ever and then they took it away after I broke into the 30's. So dumb. BTB has never been any good since then thanks to guests.

stephen08

5-6 player offerings? TO? It seems to me that it goes from 4v4s right up to 8v8s. Or do you think that middle ground just adds to the already large heap of hoppers?

I hate to say it as 6v6 is probably my favorite team size to play but it isn't distinct enough to really warrant it's own list. Probably one of my favorite lists ever was Squad Battle in Halo 3. 6v6 Slayer, Flag and Bomb. It was glorious.

Striker

I like 6v6 too but problem is finding an ample enough maps to have it warrant an immediate playlist. Neither Reach or H3 had enough amount to make it work long enough. If there's only about 3-4 maps tops in them, it is likely going to be poop.

Not cool. All that hard work...

I think the other option was Recon for no one. It seems like Bungie.net authenticates that a player can use Recon. I guess by just unlocking it for everyone 343 are getting rid of that authentication step.

Might be wrong, but if im right, your post would have had a totally different meaning after Recon was gone. :p

Halo 2 pretty much laid the proper foundation, why even stray all that much from it:

Rumble Pit
Double Team
Team Slayer
Team Skirmish <- objective
Team Training <- guests go here
Team Snipers <- stop putting team snipers in other lists and keep it confined to this one
Team Hardcore <- mlg
Big Team Battle <- guests go here too, as much as people don't want dumbass guests in BTB the population would plummet without them
Team SWAT <- people like to play this might as well keep it in
H2 Challenge <- make this community bullshit, griffball/zombies

Honestly Team Doubles could just go the fuck away if they're not going to make decent maps for 2v2. We need anything else?

This. People on here keep asking to merge it with Swat, and it makes me facepalm, other than having quicker kill times the gameplay is vastly different.

FyreWulff

Not cool. All that hard work...

For 343 to continue having "unlock mode", they would have had to have working Halo 3/ODST stats processing, which we don't even know if H3/ODST stats are ever actually coming back at this point, besides game count summary. Bungie.net actually verifies the Vidmasters to prevent people just unlocking the achievements offline with modding then going on and getting Recon.

Easier to do a global unlock than re-implement the unlock functionality. Microsoft won't even spend the miniscule amount of money to re-prop the Reach stats API on Waypoint, let alone reimplement Halo 3 stats and the Recon unlocker.

I don't mind everyone getting Recon though anyway. After a while, you might as well drop more armor pieces globablly to spice things up. Hell, I'd personally be fine with Eternal flames being globally unlocked after a while. Same with Johnson in ODST and the Gamestop armor in Reach.

Waypoint people make me sad:

I'm pretty disgusted. I wonder what is going through 343's collective minds for them to think that giving recon to everyone is a good idea.

Hey how about while you're at it 343, why don't you unlock the haunted helmet for every one?

Matter of fact why don't you just unlock all the reach armory for every player?

or another gem:

Great. Just give away what some of us earned. Thanks 343 for ruining another Halo game.

Really??

TheOddOne

What a bunch of bullshit, people who earned it had it for years and now they are complaining that everybody gets it? Geez let it go.

FyreWulff

Seriously, in a few months it'll be 3 years since the Recon floodgates opened. I don't think anyone really even notices if you have it on anymore. It was mostly special because of Halo 3's limited selection of armor variants and the fact that it was Bungie and whoever Bungie gave it to only. After the Vidmasters it was "neat, you finished Endure".

It's not like people are going to be able to take screenshots of themselves in the armor anyway :p

Top Bottom