• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

Better, but just put it as a shot of her legs lol

You just want the leg you say?
Christmas-Story-Leg-Lamp-01.jpg

There was some discussion earlier over which is the better map: High Ground or Powerhouse. It's most definitely High Ground, I think. At least with High Ground you can have some moderate fun in CTF and Assault.

Homeboyd

There was some discussion earlier over which is the better map: High Ground or Powerhouse. It's most definitely High Ground, I think. At least with High Ground you can have some moderate fun in CTF and Assault.
I just like maps with interactive objects. I can't figure out why they seem to be moving away from that since H2 rather than towards it.

Risen

What exactly do you base that on? I mean... one flag, ok, assault, ok.... but it fails at every other game type offered. Once you control the wall, game over. It has awful flow, with a massive choke point that once controlled effectively ends the game assuming equal skill. Even when flipping spawns they spawn behind the bomb/flag room while you still control the most advantageous position on the map.

It is a one sided objective map, only.

Powerhouse may not be great at any one thing... but it works for a number of types; both one sided objectives and team slayer.

When Kyle says Powerhouse is a retarded High Ground I tend to giggle... if anything, High Ground is a retarded Powerhouse.

Sai-kun

Banned
lmfao at people complaining about recon. yeah, all 5 fucking thousand people are gonna be soooooo upset. :lol wow. people will complain about anything.

These Magic the Gathering streams don't seem very friendly to people out of the game.

I remember playing around 4th edition but now theres so many new cards and editions I don't seem to know what any of the cards do and they don't really explain either. So its like they are just putting cards down the announcers say some names and then stuff happens.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Don't worry guys, I'll be the tie breaker: Powerhouse > High Grounds. Now it's definitive.

Havok

Neither are really standout for Flag and Bomb. They both have generally poor base design and objective placement - one in the middle of nowhere, one in a grenade hole with a nuke radius Power Drainer overlooking it. The pipe on High Ground was a nice idea for stealth that never really worked since you have to cross a no-mans-land right after to get to the flag, whereas Powerhouse has a stealth route on the cliff side, that falls apart right before the flag in the same way. High Ground gets points for the interactive gate, while Powerhouse gets points for not having a human sniper on the map when it isn't needed.

Powerhouse is hands down a better Slayer map, as High Ground has some of the worst spawns in the series.

I think both could have used an overhaul, but as it stands I'd rather play Powerhouse.

Overdoz1z said:
High Ground is great for one-sided objective, but bad at all others. The way it should be.
Then they should stop shoving other gametypes on it. Awful Slayer map.

Overdoziz

Banned
What exactly do you base that on? I mean... one flag, ok, assault, ok.... but it fails at every other game type offered. Once you control the wall, game over. It has awful flow, with a massive choke point that once controlled effectively ends the game assuming equal skill. Even when flipping spawns they spawn behind the bomb/flag room while you still control the most advantageous position on the map.

It is a one sided objective map, only.

Powerhouse may not be great at any one thing... but it works for a number of types; both one sided objectives and team slayer.

When Kyle says Powerhouse is a retarded High Ground I tend to giggle... if anything, High Ground is a retarded Powerhouse.
Powerhouse isn't great for any gametype, it's mediocre at all of them. High Ground is great for one-sided objective, but bad at all others. The way it should be.

Powerhouse is a map that tried to be a good one-sided objective map but it failed in that there's no good place to put objectives in. The initial objective spawn used to be in the powerhouse but that proved to be too campable in the beta. Instead of changing the map to create a better location Bungie moved the objective location to a place that clearly wasn't intended for that role when the map was designed.

For Slayer it's not great either. Red team has a huge advantage at the initial spawn.

Risen

Powerhouse isn't great for any gametype, it's mediocre at all of them. High Ground is great for one-sided objective, but bad at all others. The way it should be.

Powerhouse is a map that tried to be a good one-sided objective map but it failed in that there's no good place to put objectives in. The initial objective spawn used to be in the powerhouse but that proved to be too campable in the beta. Instead of changing the map to create a better location Bungie moved the objective location to a place that clearly wasn't intended for that role when the map was designed.

For Slayer it's not great either. Red team has a huge advantage at the initial spawn.

My point is... how do you compare the two... you can't. One is just "meh" for most game types while one is only ok with one sided objectives. Apples/Oranges from that standpoint...

As far as red team having the advantage... I'm not sure I agree. I could make a case for either initial spawn in team slayer depending on the team I'm running with.

I never said either were standout maps, even in their strongest gametypes ("moderate fun"). Both are exercises in mediocrity.

Edit: Wanted to put my opinion into the discussion is all. There have been good points brought up by Risen and Havok.

That's her beating Miesha Tate via arm dislocation for the Bantwamweight championship.

http://www.abload.de/img/258z86dvey9m.gif nsfw-ish

Are you serious!?? She literally dislocated the other persons arm!?? Holy shit!

Also going back to the Banshee thing, I understand that they had the opportunity to make a higher res model, but they could do that without redesigning the thing. I guess the idea of multiple Banshee varients makes sense, but im not a fan of the new design.

Overdoziz

Banned
My point is... how do you compare the two... you can't. One is just "meh" for most game types while one is only ok with one sided objectives. Apples/Oranges from that standpoint...

As far as red team having the advantage... I'm not sure I agree. I could make a case for either initial spawn in team slayer depending on the team I'm running with.
Red team gets height advantage making it easier to get the Rocket Launcher and they get the Grenade Launcher. Both teams are about an equal distance from the Gravity Hammer and what does blue team get? A Focus Rifle.

Red team gets height advantage making it easier to get the Rocket Launcher and they get the Grenade Launcher. Both teams are about an equal distance from the Gravity Hammer and what does blue team get? A Focus Rifle.
But they get the focus rifle immediately, with a clear shot at guys going for rockets.

Ramirez

It's so easy to nade that top DMR spawn at the beginning so that rockets are an easy grab...I don't think most people know it's even possible.

No one is killing a guy sprinting to rockets with a focus rifle at the beginning of a game, c'mon son.

Overdoziz

Banned
It's so easy to nade that top DMR spawn at the beginning so that rockets are an easy grab...I don't think most people know it's even possible.
It's even easier to throw grenades to the bottom where blue team spawns.

I'm not saying it's incredibly hard to grab rockets and win the first battle as blue team but with evenly matched teams? I don't see it happening too often.

Striker

What killed HG's slayer is spawns, absolutely terrible. Bad weapon/equipment placement as well. Spawn blue by the beach, and you get instantly the sniper, a ghost, overshield, grav lift, bubble shield, and the rocket launcher. Red team gets laser, ghost, and invis. Too lopsided, awful like Guardian's placements.

In a matter of a few minutes it doesn't matter if you're blue because they're spawning behind you on the cliff wall.

Risen

It's even easier to throw grenades to the bottom where blue team spawns.

I'm not saying it's incredibly hard to grab rockets and win the first battle as blue team but with evenly matched teams? I don't see it happening too often.

Red spawn pushing rockets gets crapped on by a team shot off initial spawn. I get rockets almost every time I push them off blue spawn provided I have decently aware 'mates. Blue team may spawn low, but they have cover all the way to rockets. Red team has to run DMR 1/2 in order to get there at approximately the same time, which is open the whole way.

Height advantage is nullified by no cover... again, assuming equal skill. Good team over less good team gets rocks every time no matter what.

Feels pretty balanced maaaaan...

Overdoziz

Banned
And a shotgun.

Edit: oops, beaten.
The Shotgun spawn clearly shows that the initial spawns for blue were next to the broken bridge for better or worse. I can't recall if that even was the case in the Beta.

*Stealthily avoids responding to all other arguments because they're good points*

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
*Stealthily avoids responding to all other arguments because they're good points*
Someone in a Halo thread conceding an argument?!? Being open minded and willing to hear criticism!?!

GTFO.

GhaleonEB

Yeah, I like maps designed with a specific purpose. High Ground played well for those game types because it was made for them. Powerhouse was made for, um, I'm not sure. The flags were moved to the roof because the building interiors were so poorly done.

Striker

I'm all for more maps being designed for flag, bomb, and other objective related gametypes (felt like Bungie's later Halo days were more served dishing out slayer maps than anything else) but HG itself had pretty noticeable issues outside flag/bomb (despite the flag and bomb placement being a tiny room, hello grenades). Ugh, instant arm Assault.

Turf is one map designed specifically for 3 Plots. It worked wonderfully. But it was great for both bomb and flag as well. KotH Tactics, which was BR start, no radar, and more players in the hill meant faster time, was something else I remember playing, and it was solid.

Ramirez

Turf being "great" for bomb/flag is a toss up. There were so many spots the defense could camp all around the flag area, where grenades were a non factor to them.

GhaleonEB

I'm all for more maps being designed for flag, bomb, and other objective related gametypes (felt like Bungie's later Halo days were more served dishing out slayer maps than anything else) but HG itself had pretty noticeable issues outside flag/bomb (despite the flag and bomb placement being a tiny room, hello grenades). Ugh, instant arm Assault.

Turf is one map designed specifically for 3 Plots. It worked wonderfully. But it was great for both bomb and flag as well. KotH Tactics, which was BR start, no radar, and more players in the hill meant faster time, was something else I remember playing, and it was solid.
It wasn't perfect, but I had a lot of fun flag games on it; more than I've had on Powerhouse for sure. I really miss maps with interactive elements like gates/bridges.

Turf being "great" for bomb/flag is a toss up. There were so many spots the defense could camp all around the flag area, where grenades were a non factor to them.

I loved Turf for three plots, it fit that map really well.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I can say with almost 100% certainty that maybe in less than 5 games I've played, has the FR even been picked up in the first seconds of the game. Totally a non factor...
Yeah, I rarely see people pick it up at all, let alone in the beginning of a match.

Striker

I loved Turf for three plots, it fit that map really well.
3 Plots worked really well on Sanctuary and Midship too.

I was a sucker for almost everything 1-flag/bomb in H2. Ivory Tower and Lockout two others. A specific gametype, 1-Flag Fast and Rapid Assault, created for smaller objective based maps where the item returns much faster than usual. Our team lived in Team Skirmish.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Only good for short range kills without the scope. Second most irritating weapon to get killed with after the concussion rifle. :p

Shadders

Has this been posted yet?

From this months OXM UK:

OXM+Halo4.jpg

Forerunners and/or Master Builder to be the enemy in Halo4, then?

Makes more sense than fighting The Didact as some had predicted.

Top Bottom