• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

I know we just talked about this, but Construct KOTH was one of the GOAT Halo gametypes, so slept on, yet so good. Construct without radar is a phenomenal map.
Watching some random youtube clip of a Construct MLG game was what got me into watching MLG (not that I'm at kylej Inheritor status or anything).

Played Halo for a bit. I haven't played in a long time so it made me dizzy. Did pretty good though. Won an FFA KoTH with +30.
What's Super Slayer?
Jet packs are still dumb.
You just went through like 3 weeks of HaloGAF posts in 3 sentences.

Played Super Slayer today and ended up with Solitary. I don't know how many power weapons are on that map, but the other team got all of them. Bad times for Bregmann.

You like Uncaged? I think that would be a HaloGAF first. :p

Love it. It's the best map in Reach to showcase armor abilities. If you hate AAs, you'll loathe that map. But if you embrace them, you'll see the magic in Uncaged.

I wish Uncaged was only in playlists with AAs so that it could show its true potential without pissing off anti-AA Halo fans. I want a map that rewards and punishes AA loadouts.

One of the main criticisms of AAs is that maps weren't designed with them in mind. My ideal AA map balance philosophy would be to restrict and reward map movement per AA and to place power weapons in locations accessible only by AA. It'd incorporate the loadout-based gameplay of Reach with the equal-footing weapon balance of the Halo series.

An example of AA map balance would be to place the shotgun in an area accessible only by jetpack and the sniper only by Sprint. The amount of point-blank sprinting shotgunners and perch-camping snipers would be decreased. (An interesting dynamic for Halo 4 might be the ability to swap weapons with your teammates. Jetpackers could rush the Shotguns to get it for their teammate with Sprint. Of course, most of that would fall apart if you play with randoms, but it'd be neat to see how it would work with a full party.)

In regards to Uncaged, I wish the airlift from mid to top wasn't there. I want it to be an area accessible by jetpacks only. And I'd love it if the bridge from mid to cliff/sniper wasn't there. I'd like it to be similar to the disconnected bridge from The Cage, except both sides would be on an even plane. They'd be far enough apart where Sprint would be required to make the gap, and one could make the jump both ways. There'd be walls lining the gap high enough to cover a sprinting, jumping Spartan, but not high enough to cover a jetpacker.

Booshka

Love it. It's the best map in Reach to showcase armor abilities. If you hate AAs, you'll loathe that map. But if you embrace them, you'll see the magic in Uncaged.

I wish Uncaged was only in playlists with AAs so that it could show its true potential without pissing off anti-AA Halo fans. I want a map that rewards and punishes AA loadouts.

One of the main criticisms of AAs is that maps weren't designed with them in mind. My ideal AA map balance philosophy would be to restrict and reward map movement per AA and to place power weapons in locations accessible only by AA. It'd incorporate the loadout-based gameplay of Reach with the equal-footing weapon balance of the Halo series.

An example of AA map balance would be to place the shotgun in an area accessible only by jetpack and the sniper only by Sprint. The amount of point-blank sprinting shotgunners and perch-camping snipers would be decreased. (An interesting dynamic for Halo 4 might be the ability to swap weapons with your teammates. Jetpackers could rush the Shotguns to get it for their teammate with Sprint. Of course, most of that would fall apart if you play with randoms, but it'd be neat to see how it would work with a full party.)

In regards to Uncaged, I wish the airlift from mid to top wasn't there. I want it to be an area accessible by jetpacks only. And I'd love it if the bridge from mid to cliff/sniper wasn't there. I'd like it to be similar to the disconnected bridge from The Cage, except both sides would be on an even plane. They'd be far enough apart where Sprint would be required to make the gap, and one could make the jump both ways. There'd be walls lining the gap high enough to cover a sprinting, jumping Spartan, but not high enough to cover a jetpacker.

Not enough games do this, Hold Y to drop Weapon, simple.

Ramirez

Gross.

Computron

Frankie, just between me and you and perhaps the 3-4 or so people on the internet, you enjoy doing this don't you:

BqMZX.png

Every fucking game a person quit, that person was host. EVERY FUCKING GAME.

oh good fucking god, I hear you. I've had maybe five times in all of Reach matchmaking where someone's quit and it's resulted smoothly.

Because you'd die if you tried to do that.

This got me thinking: what if the whole melee system got reworked a little bit?
Standard melee: no lunge, but hitbox of around Reach's sword melee (sans lunge). Feels like Halo CE's.
Sprint melee: The user literally lunges forward a little more than Halo 2's maximum range, but it's not a homing/locking/aim-assisted/whatever one--it's simply a forward motion with a slightly disjointed hitbox. The user punches with their fist rather than their gun. Standard melee damage, but with a longer cooldown (not seconds-wise, but enough frames to count). Has some knockback to the opponent and increased range due to the movement/hitbox.

But then there are melee counters:
Standard Melee Counter:
Both people punch eachother in stupid Halo 3/Reach fashion. Usually results in mutual death.
"Alternating" Melee Counter:
Player one punches, player two punches, player one punches to kill player two.

Double Melee Counter:
Player one punches, player two takes it like a man. Player one punches again, but is interrupted by a melee button/"action" button prompt on player two's side: the punch is outsped by a knee to the cyber nads/space clit to drain their shields, followed by a RvB Tex-esque punch right to the face, which kills them.

Sprint Melee Counter:
Player one lunges in for a melee, player two hits the melee/"action" button (maybe at the same time?) and the fist is intercepted in a very simple, militaristic fashion and player one's moved aside and pushed forward. Player two takes no damage, player one is briefly stunned and knocked forward in the same direction as the lunge, leaving them open to fire (Sprint Melee Counter would work perfectly with a Shotgun or Sniper, if you can get a headshot in) or even a beatdown if you're fast enough.

oh good fucking god, I hear you. I've had maybe five times in all of Reach matchmaking where someone's quit and it's resulted smoothly.

This got me thinking: what if the whole melee system got reworked a little bit?
Standard melee: no lunge, but hitbox of around Reach's sword melee (sans lunge). Feels like Halo CE's.
Sprint melee: The user literally lunges forward a little more than Halo 2's maximum range, but it's not a homing/locking/aim-assisted/whatever one--it's simply a forward motion with a slightly disjointed hitbox. The user punches with their fist rather than their gun. Standard melee damage, but with a longer cooldown (not seconds-wise, but enough frames to count). Has some knockback to the opponent and increased range due to the movement/hitbox.

But then there are melee counters:
Standard Melee Counter:
Both people punch eachother in stupid Halo 3/Reach fashion. Usually results in mutual death.
"Alternating" Melee Counter:
Player one punches, player two punches, player one punches to kill player two.

Double Melee Counter:
Player one punches, player two takes it like a man. Player one punches again, but is interrupted by a melee button/"action" button prompt on player two's side: the punch is outsped by a knee to the cyber nads/space clit to drain their shields, followed by a RvB Tex-esque punch right to the face, which kills them.

Sprint Melee Counter:
Player one lunges in for a melee, player two hits the melee/"action" button (maybe at the same time?) and the fist is intercepted in a very simple, militaristic fashion and player one's moved aside and pushed forward. Player two takes no damage, player one is briefly stunned and knocked forward in the same direction as the lunge, leaving them open to fire (Sprint Melee Counter would work perfectly with a Shotgun or Sniper, if you can get a headshot in) or even a beatdown if you're fast enough.

dont like the idea of counters. agree with different kinds of melees, depending on situation, but fully disagree with button/action counters. would just slow down pace

Karl2177

I was lagging a bit in Reach, so I tried MW3. Still lag. I pop in Halo 3. No lag whatsoever. Had 3 pretty good games. Who's up for some of that tomorrow?

Havok

Making an already-janky system, like the Halo melee system, even worse by layering what sounds like a bunch of overly complicated systems on top of it isn't the way to go. Melee is always going to be a little awkward, but the way to make it less powerful isn't to slap an instant-kill QTE on it, it's to make melees less powerful. By doing so you naturally discourage melee kills because they are a less effective option that can be used situationally, like when you are close but running low on ammo - a situational technique, rather than a goal. Effective tactics in Halo always surface organically from base traits, mediating that with such an artificial construct as a counter system is just going to end up annoying players who end up on the wrong side of it due to network issues or exploits. I'm a firm believer that simple solutions are good solutions.

Introduce a hefty animation delay after Sprint during which you can't melee or shoot, that problem is solved. As for the idea of a stun in any circumstance, that stuff needs to be excised from the series. The vehicle board stun has had a really negative impact on infantry-vehicle interaction (having the vehicle taken away is punishment, leaving the hijackee as a sitting duck for five seconds afterwards is overkill), I'd rather not see it in melee situations as well.

Also, every single instance of melee countering in the series (sword parrying and sword block) has been pretty awful, practically reduced to sheer luck because they just don't work in an environment with that much latency.

I think a melee counter like quickly turning them to the side would be awesome.
It would be a quick animation, and disorientate them.
And I'm not talking button mashing, just like clicking the melee button inbetween the start of their melee animation and when u actually get hurt.
When you punish the aggressor it discourages melee usage, which I think is an all around good thing in a FPS.
Between the start of the animation and when the damage is applied is a matter of very few frames in the long run. It just wouldn't work in an online environment. Take the annoyance of simultaneous kills and then apply it to your character turning randomly when he shouldn't.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
How cool would a quick burst of speed ability be? Burst to make a jump. Burst to jump behind a rock. Burst to jump a flag in at the last second.

I think a melee counter like quickly turning them to the side would be awesome.
It would be a quick animation, and disorientate them.
And I'm not talking button mashing, just like clicking the melee button inbetween the start of their melee animation and when u actually get hurt.
When you punish the aggressor it discourages melee usage, which I think is an all around good thing in a FPS.

Omg frankie I love you:
"I convinced Josh that it (the assault rifle) should be the starting weapon for every mode.. and when you drop any weapon, it turns into an AR."

Apparently AR is a lot better.. need to burst fire it to keep accuracy.

Special guests in studio.. (press? magazines?) and they were shown more than just multiplayer.. interesting..

CyReN

Okay I fail at searching, I couldn't find the link on the past few pages, Waypoint, or HBO. Halp.

Linky

•San Francisco build is from an internal test, was 3 weeks old when they had shown it.
•Maps discussed:
•Wraparound, nothing like narrows, cracks/crevasse in floor you can drop through to get away or move easier around the map. Basic design is a big circle in the center with a cross running through it, and it's a two level map. Man cannons on the level fire you into the center. However, the line of sight into the center is broken up by pylons, not a total killing field in the center than(grenades and such).
•Warhouse, a facility vessel, traveling through a crazy atmosphere. Man cannons feature on the outskirts of the map. One side of the map is a star field, one side of the map is filled with clouds, can be used to help/hurt people.
•The AR is 'kind of' beefy. Covenant weapons sound really good.
•Special guests were shown significantly more at a recent visit. One particular level referred to as 7.
•Not many sleeps till new halo 4 info.
•Talked about the campaign that was shown to the special guests again.
•Clarified what they meant by story in multiplayer to the guests as well.
•The BR discussed again.
•The DMR is back!
•No Bubble shield in Halo 4.
•Marines possibly?

Okay I fail at searching, I couldn't find the link on the past few pages, Waypoint, or HBO. Halp.

DMR is in and Frankie says "better at taking a guy out in the air"
More info coming soon from journalist types--campaign and other stuff that will elaborate on "story reasons for Spartans fighting in MP"
other info coming in bits and pieces
AR is powerful and has great sound design
Kiki believes that every day is Friday when it comes to tequila
Results of internal "Network Test" were generally positive
Warhouse has a great skybox--dedicated to kylej

Edit: sprint-punch-punch'd by not one but two people. Beaten badly.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Omg frankie I love you:
"I convinced Josh that it (the assault rifle) should be the starting weapon for every mode.. and when you drop any weapon, it turns into an AR."

Apparently AR is a lot better.. need to burst fire it to keep accuracy.

Special guests in studio.. (press? magazines?) and they were shown more than just multiplayer.. interesting..
The fact that everyone laughed at the "AR as starting weapon" joke made me happy.

In my head they all thought, "lolol AR as a starting weapon, what a hilarious joke"

Edit: sorry i didnt link it myself ghal, im on my phone.

zap

The fact that everyone laughed at the "AR as starting weapon" joke made me happy.

In my head they all thought, "lolol AR as a starting weapon, what a hilarious joke"

Edit: sorry i didnt link it myself ghal, im on my phone.

Yeah, by them laughing at our worries, we at least know that they have our feedback. It seems like we could safely assume that at least not all gametypes and playlists will be AR starts - which is better than nothing.

It seems like we could be looking at loadout weapon choices, between the BR, AR and DMR... which I would be happy with.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
They said they were showing more than multiplayer and campaign. I have a hunch they don't just mean Firefight.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Oh man, ended the night with the best flag cap sequence I've had in quite awhile. Franklinator and I were playing 2 Flag CTF on Hemorrhage with some other guys. Up until the last 3 mins, no one was able to gain the upper hand. The other team was all defense, and we had only 4 in our party, so you can see the stalemate we had. Then, it all came together. Franklinator cleared off two cliffside snipers, I cleared the roof of their base, then Franklinator wrecked a guy camping in the base with a shotgun. A random grabbed the flag and got to our getaway warthog with Franklinator driving, but he got shot next to it. Then with all of us yelling, I jumped off the roof, grabbed the flag, and hopped in. We nearly got killed by a ghost on the way back, but another guy in our party actually ran him off from us. Capped the flag, then survived a last-minute barrage by the other team. Sick ending. If anyone actually cares enough, I or Franklinator can upload a clip tomorrow.

Now that's the kind of BTB I'm looking for. Or at least the ending.

So i just relistened to the podcast since I was distracted earlier, and I love the Halo 2 cliffhanger ending at the end, with the same music as well. haha, looks like April's going to be a good month.

Top Bottom