• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Good for me, anybody else down?

i'd like to try halo 3, would be nice to see how it stacks up to reach since i havent played it since reach launched.... but i wouldnt be able to hop on till about 9pst

i'd like to try halo 3, would be nice to see how it stacks up to reach since i havent played it since reach launched.... but i wouldnt be able to hop on till about 9pst

I got some friends who were experiencing lag but it was fine for me when I tried last weekend. It might be that they are too used to Reach's amazing netcode and haven't played 3 in so long. In terms of the actual gameplay the BR gave me a nostalgia OD.

Blueblur1

I'll find you.

Hey, the date on the article (posting not title) says today. Also, Waypoint just now tweeted it, so that's an easy mistake to make.

I've noticed that Waypoint account has been tweeting stuff late recently. The person in charge of it must be swamped with other work.

heckfu

Banned
I got some friends who were experiencing lag but it was fine for me when I tried last weekend. It might be that they are too used to Reach's amazing netcode and haven't played 3 in so long. In terms of the actual gameplay the BR gave me a nostalgia OD.

Lol at nostalgia. Good time were had but not sure it's been long enough for nostalgia.

Risen

I'm down. GT: Happy eH

Since this thread moves so fast... I'll post when I'm on. Anyone not on mine or Cyren's FL make sure to post their GT after that so we can find you. That way we won't have to filter back through the thread to this point. I'm betting games will still be running at those pacific times.

Risen

What time is that UK time? I'll be about from about 9-11 tonight, but free then.

Edit: and Halo 3 seems to have a steady population of 5000 players. If you've not played in a while though, you may suck.

2-3am depending on where you are ( I think)

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

i actually really like reach, TU >>> vanilla but even pre update, and i'm actually a little afraid to try halo 3 again for fear i'll be joining on the reach bash bus with the rest of haloGAF.

Hey You

I think it would be a nice little feature if we could choose who's voice gets used for the Multiplayer announcer like we can with Firefight.

Choose from Jeff (or whoever is being used,default), Master Chief,Cortana etc etc

FyreWulff

I just discovered a fairly easy method of getting the latest variants of the maps (in case 343 made any changes). Search for films, restrict to the map in question, restrict to films of Slayer, then set the age to "Day". You're more than likely going to get films of the MM variant.

So when you watch the film, you'll get the map variant in your recent files, and don't have to hope someone uploads it to their FS after getting it. Could be dangerous for an author though, could get trapped analyzing films for a long time..

Speaking of Blackout, what the hell happened to that map? It went from Lindsey Lohan in Mean Girls to Lindsey Lohan now with their remake.

Whoa whoa whoa. Lohan analogies are over the line. A lot of people worked really hard on Halo 3's Blackout. If as many people worked on Lindsey Lohan's Blackouts the world would be a better place.
Also: Lindsey Lohan is Halo Deny Nils all mixed up.

Hey, I never said they'd be good...

Better tell that to the Waypoint Forums. They get testy when we get news first.

CyReN

T4sAp.png

Guessing it's this one from earlier in the week.

I really hope 343 doesn't completly shut out map and campaign exploration.

It seems with every subsequent game the ability to go outside the confines of the game for fun have greatly diminished. Everything is kill barriers and goddamit I know don't want people exploiting but is there some heavenly fine line we can walk where exploring your game doesn't help you cheat in mutli and still lets you play outside the confines of vanilla Halo 4?

Aka: Super jumping was the tits, getting out of maps and glitches refreshed the H2 experience, whereas I found the confining nature of Reach to get very dull very quickly.
Campaign exploration? Yes, please. I'm all for it.
Multiplayer map exploration? Hell no. I want those to be airtight. Getting out of the maps in Halo 2 was fun in custom games, but annoying as hell online. I'd be willing to lose that exploration if it meant more security.

I hope the new Forge mode is a big leap over Reach's but if nothing else I'd like to be able to place invisible walls.

Relevant Campaign skulls I'd like to see:
Exploratory - Disables invisible barriers and soft-kill zones. (Wander at your own risk.)
Armor Plating - Player-driven vehicles do not take explosive damage. (For hog launching.)

I would have liked an audiolog-esque system where we could have seen the invasion through someone's perspective using yelling, tons of chatter, chaos, and stuff like that. Could of spiced up the invasion feeling without making a group of spartans listen to lower level radio chatter.

The radios on the Multiplayer and Firefight maps sort of do this, but a more prominent version would have been neat.

-------
I think one of the things that hurt the "invasion" feel of Reach was the decision to limit the story to Six's perspective. Look at the end of Long Night of Solace - we see a huge Covenant fleet pop up but we don't really get a feel for that battle. We just see Six wake up from his reentry a bit later to see a hint of the aftermath.

The time jumps really aren't apparent either. Going from one mission to the next might involve a jump of a few hours or a number of days, but if you haven't been writing down the dates and times that appear onscreen you'd have no idea. My non-Halo-fanatic friend was shocked when I told him the game spans a month.

I think some short cutscenes between levels showing the course of the battle/invasion would have been great, even if it was just a vague map with shifting troop movements. (Similar to the map shot before Tip of the Spear, but with updates showing time progression.)

I just enjoyed another match of Heavies.. What is wrong with me?

Agreed, screw statues and helmets, give me cool stuff to look at and listen to.

Also a steel case would be nice too.

For me I usually like an Art Book, Making of, then a statue with maybe a few various goodies. I do love decent quality statues though, and I really hope that if not in the special edition that they will sell some separately like they did with Halo 3. The statues Weta did kicked ass.

Wait, it says it was posted today, was it up yesterday?
LLShC.gif

:lol

The line reading was a little dry, but I like that it was said without yelling. Other games try too hard to sell the invasion scenario.

- at least in games. And along with that, slow invasion sequences are boring compared to the epicenter of the virulent invasion climax.

It's also neat to see how what worked so well as a book did so poorly in a game.

LTTP, but I don't necessarily think it was bad because he wasn't going to pieces or screaming or something, but the actor delivered that line with no emotion or inflection whatsoever. That was the tone you use to say, "Yeah, we're out of coffee, I'm gonna make a new pot." Any emotion at all would have been better- restrained panic, numb shock ( "stunned, mental overload-monotone" is different than "I'm reading my lines so I can leave and get a haircut-monotone"), joy that he'll finally be able to get out of his loveless marriage by way of plasma grenade- anything besides "Oh, Covenant's here. You guys know if there's a new Breaking Bad on tonight?"

Jorge, as usual, was handled the best in this scene. You can tell he's shitting himself on the inside, but he's still very composed and only letting a little of his panic sink through.

But then, Jorge is (IMO) the only well-written character in the game outside of his "WTF are you thinking?!" moment ordering that pilot to fly through what he already knows is an EMP field, so it's just par for the course.

But then, Jorge is (IMO) the only well-written character in the game outside of his "WTF are you thinking?!" moment ordering that pilot to fly through what he already knows is an EMP field, so it's just par for the course.

I've rationalized that by assuming that he owed the pilot and crew some money. In my version of the Halo Universe Spartans are assholes like that. Scheming, parsimonious, assholes. We never saw it with the Master Chief because of his higher pay grade.

WAT? I did not realise this at all.

Yeah, no offense to Bungie since I absolutely love their games, and the universe they created, but Halo games stories have always been presented in a rather sloppy fashion. Halo 2 takes the cake for the best story and presentation IMO. Reach had its moments, but it just felt in-cohesive, like Halo 3.. Also, it never really lived up to the concept of the "largest human-covenant conflict", it certainly never felt like a planet wide invasion where all hell breaks loose.

Also, why couldn't the elites we encountered in the beginning re-emerge as the group who search and eventually find Noble Team and kill Kat? Maybe have Noble 6 break one of their arms and dishonor a captain in front of his troops and really piss him off, setting the course for revenge as Noble Team fights its way through the invasion.

A bit lttp, but that's what happened, although not in such detail and pretty poorly executed: It is the Zealot Field Commander guy who shoots Kat. It's just that you can hardly recognize him due to the darkness and distance. So I agree with you that it could've been executed much better.

I've rationalized that by assuming that he owed the pilot and crew some money. In my version of the Halo Universe Spartans are assholes like that. Scheming, parsimonious, assholes. We never saw it with the Master Chief because of his higher pay grade.

Hmmm...Jorge is, in the backstory, a very good poker player and possibly a compulsive gambler...

A bit lttp, but that's what happened, although not in such detail and pretty poorly executed: It is the Zealot Field Commander guy who shoots Kat. It's just that you can hardly recognize him due to the darkness and distance. So I agree with you that it could've been executed much better.

He's also the Elite all the way at the end in the foundry with the FRG, but because the game never actually draws your attention to him (or, technically, even confirms that it's the same guy, although it makes sense from a storytelling and in-universe logistics perspective), it's almost impossible to notice unless someone actually tells you or you are paying extremely close attention.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Me neither! I hate when time lapses aren't presented clearly in movies/TV/games. I want a big, fat, Inheritor-sized "Four Days Later" message on my screen, not some dinky little time stamp.

Karl2177

I'm trying to get to gold in SC2 so I'll probably play some of that. Or more Reach.

It's not really worth it. It's like Silver, but with more amounts of tryhards that are proud they aren't in silver or bronze. Honestly I would love to go back to bronze to just dick around.

Hmmm...Jorge is, in the backstory, a very good poker player and possibly a compulsive gambler...

"Yeah, sure, I've got your money...just get us a little closer to that weird tower and I'll pay you back when we get home".

And you thought Jorge was a hero who "died thinking he saved Reach". There was probably an escape pod on that ship. He's probably in Space Vegas living the high life and laughing about the idiots that he left behind on Reach.

Halsey knows his real last name: Costanza!

Noble Actual/Winter Contingency - July 24th, 2552
The Pillar of Autumn - August 30th, 2552

Just realized Lone Wolf is also on August 30th. For some reason I thought it was days later, not three hours. (16:52 at the start of TPoA, 20:00 at the start of LW)

Havok

He's also the Elite all the way at the end in the foundry with the FRG, but because the game never actually draws your attention to him (or, technically, even confirms that it's the same guy, although it makes sense from a storytelling and in-universe logistics perspective), it's almost impossible to notice unless someone actually tells you or you are paying extremely close attention.
It's pretty amazing how poorly the Zealots' continued appearances in the game were telegraphed. Even something as simple as showing their initial escape from the relay outpost using a special ops style Phantom (maybe even one of those green ones, although I'd prefer the Big Bad's Phantom to have a white mohawk) would let the player know that the Elites that are showing up to ruin Kat and Emile's day aren't just generic soldiers.

Would have been nice to save Kat and Jorge for later on in the game, considering I pretty much loathed every other member of Noble.

TheOddOne

Yeah, no offense to Bungie since I absolutely love their games, and the universe they created, but Halo games stories have always been presented in a rather sloppy fashion. Halo 2 takes the cake for the best story and presentation IMO. Reach had its moments, but it just felt in-cohesive, like Halo 3.. Also, it never really lived up to the concept of the "largest human-covenant conflict", it certainly never felt like a planet wide invasion where all hell breaks loose.
I even felt that Halo 3 story presentation was better then Reach. I feel that the introduced the characters in Reach too fast and did nothing to really develop them.

As the last Halo game by Bungie, I feel they where pretty sloppy and they didn't go out with a bang. I get that a lot of the staff was tired of the franchise, but atleast — in my opinion — could have musterd up the energie to create something for the fans. It sounds overly harsh, but everything aspect of Reach was so overhauld that it lost the Halo feel and in the end just feels like a big experiment in which we are duped to play.

Don't get me wrong though, I love Bungie and will be supporting their next project(s). Still how Reach was created and left for the dogs just pisses me off more everyday. /end rant.

Jorge, as usual, was handled the best in this scene. You can tell he's shitting himself on the inside, but he's still very composed and only letting a little of his panic sink through.

I really liked Jorge too and was kind of disappointed to see him "die" (we don't know for sure, do we? Wouldn't mind another appearance at all.) this early. However, at least it was a pretty badass way to go.

Yeah, the second time through I actually recognized his "horns". I think Bungie should've made him a little stronger, too. Not as unrealistically strong as Tartarus, of course, but it was so disappointing to see him draw his energy sword as soon as his shield collapsed only to have him die a second later from a DMR shot to his face.

It's pretty amazing how poorly the Zealots' continued appearances in the game were telegraphed. Even something as simple as showing their initial escape from the relay outpost using a special ops style Phantom (maybe even one of those green ones, although I'd prefer the Big Bad's Phantom to have a white mohawk) would let the player know that the Elites that are showing up to ruin Kat and Emile's day aren't just generic soldiers.

Would have been nice to save Kat and Jorge for later on in the game, considering I pretty much loathed every other member of Noble.

What I'm guessing happened is that the Field Marshall and his team initially had a more involved subplot that was cut and what we see of him in the game are just the vestigial remnants.

I even felt that Halo 3 story presentation was better then Reach. I feel that the introduced the characters in Reach too fast and did nothing to really develop them.

As the last Halo game by Bungie, I feel they where pretty sloppy and they didn't go out with a bang. I get that a lot of the staff was tired of the franchise, but atleast — in my opinion — could have musterd up the energie to create something for the fans. It sounds overly harsh, but everything aspect of Reach was so overhauld that it lost the Halo feel and in the end just feels like a big experiment in which we are duped to play.

Don't get me wrong though, I love Bungie and will be supporting their next project(s). Still how Reach was created and left for the dogs just pisses me off more everyday. /end rant.
Truthfully, IMO, Bungie struggled with how to balance cinematic presentation with gameplay, often times losing sight of the story while working only towards the gameplay. Of course gameplay comes first, but it always felt like they lost sight of how the story works and how to convey it while making the game. I really hope Halo 4 can tell a more cinematic and cohesive story.

Sparth is actually going to be signing copies at the booth today.
Man, I would kill for that.. Any chance you guys may sell some of the art, signed or unsigned?

Every time I see a post like this, I imagine Marcus Lehto reading it and I feel bad.

In my opinion, Reach got its fair share of love from Bungie. Hardcore fans (me included) might be disappointed by some of the design decisions made, but I think it's unfair to assume the game was "left for the dogs". Bungie has grown considerably since the Halo 2 and 3 days - it isn't practical to have 100% of the studio working on every single game. Still, I'm sure the large portion of Bungie that did work on Reach gave it 100% of their effort. I have no doubt that Marcus gave 110%.

LTTP, but I don't necessarily think it was bad because he wasn't going to pieces or screaming or something, but the actor delivered that line with no emotion or inflection whatsoever. That was the tone you use to say, "Yeah, we're out of coffee, I'm gonna make a new pot." Any emotion at all would have been better- restrained panic, numb shock ( "stunned, mental overload-monotone" is different than "I'm reading my lines so I can leave and get a haircut-monotone"), joy that he'll finally be able to get out of his loveless marriage by way of plasma grenade- anything besides "Oh, Covenant's here. You guys know if there's a new Breaking Bad on tonight?"

People have been using that line to paint a bigger picture about the perceived failings of the first few campaign levels. I think the delivery of the line was terrible, but I felt the line itself fit the vibe and tone of the beginning beautifully. (I feel like that line has become the "To war" of Reach. Also I just like talking.)

Sparth is actually going to be signing copies at the booth today.

zm7Xy.gif

Top Bottom