• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

Quick question for GAF Veterans:

Was this picture a GAF meme first and then bishoptl made it his avatar? Or is it a GAF meme because he made it his avatar?

Just wondering which came first, to prevent possible photoshopping gaffes. (Basically, does it represent mods in general or just bishoptl?)

People have been using that line to paint a bigger picture about the perceived failings of the first few campaign levels. I think the delivery of the line was terrible, but I felt the line itself fit the vibe and tone of the beginning beautifully. (I feel like that line has become the "To war" of Reach. Also I just like talking.)

zm7Xy.gif
psst. Pick one up for me. psst. out

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member

Was this picture a GAF meme first and then bishoptl made it his avatar? Or is it a GAF meme because he made it his avatar?

Just wondering which came first, to prevent possible photoshopping gaffes. (Basically, does it represent mods in general or just bishoptl?)
Pretty sure it was Bish's avatar first. And it only represents him, not the other mods, though this is only explicit if you know about his avatar.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Finally got around to reading the Bulletin. Can't believe nobody asked the most important Bungie to 343i question of all:

With Marty gone, will we finally be able to fiddle with music/sound effect/voice levels?

lol - dude, yfrog shows you a scaled down version. (Mouse over it for a magnifying glass, which lets you load the large version.)

Or just grab it from here (rehosted, no silliness).

Every time I see that photo, I think of all the better phones I could have. 3.2 megapixels.

#firstworldproblems

Ramirez

He made it his avatar, then people started photoshopping it on to banned gifs. It only represents him...

JimboJones

Random question, sorry if it's been asked before but there are at least seven official Reach topics and I can't find anything about it on Google, why is there such a massive discrepancy between scoreboard kills and carnage report kills in a heavies match? Sometimes I get up to a half less carnage report kills e.g. in a recent match I got 32 scoreboard kills which were reduced down to 18 in the after match report. Is it just a bug?

Tawpgun

Psst Frankie Ellis.

Any chance of someone at 343 trying to fashion a "Halo 4" mode in Reach? Like messing with the gameplay settings to give us the best representation of Halo 4 in Reach.

Random question, sorry if it's been asked before but there are at least seven official Reach topics and I can't find anything about it on Google, why is there such a massive discrepancy between scoreboard kills and carnage report kills in a heavies match? Sometimes I get up to a half less carnage report kills e.g. in a recent match I got 32 scoreboard kills which were reduced down to 18 in the after match report. Is it just a bug?

Kills are worth more points depending on how you get them. I know you get more for head shots but I don't really know the details.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Psst Frankie Ellis.

Any chance of someone at 343 trying to fashion a "Halo 4" mode in Reach? Like messing with the gameplay settings to give us the best representation of Halo 4 in Reach.
As soon as we find out more details, I want to attempt a DIY version of Halo 4 settings in Reach customs.

Psst Frankie Ellis.

Tweaking the graphics on level 3 eh?

I could see some quick internal prototyping, but nothing that would reach anywhere near a state that they put it out to people.

Karl2177

For some reason vehicles are counted as 2 kills instead of 1 in one of the stat centres. Not sure which one.

Every time I see a post like this, I imagine Marcus Lehto reading it and I feel bad.

In my opinion, Reach got its fair share of love from Bungie. Hardcore fans (me included) might be disappointed by some of the design decisions made, but I think it's unfair to assume the game was "left for the dogs". Bungie has grown considerably since the Halo 2 and 3 days - it isn't practical to have 100% of the studio working on every single game. Still, I'm sure the large portion of Bungie that did work on Reach gave it 100% of their effort. I have no doubt that Marcus gave 110%.

Agreed 100%. I think some of the design choices made with Reach are straight crazy, but the production values and polish on most of the features in the game were by far the best in a Halo game, and it is clear that lots of hard work was put into the game, people just didn't like Bungie's direction with Reach, and attempt to blame that on Bungie mailing it in.

One large exception to that though, is the quite small set of competitive MP maps, which again, I guess was a design decision to ship forge maps as maps. (If you count the forge maps would be a MP map count of 13, higher than H2 or H3)

Every time I see that photo, I think of all the better phones I could have. 3.2 megapixels.

#firstworldproblems

Good excuse to treat yourself to a new phone. Treat yo self!
treat-yo-self-halloween.jpg

As soon as we find out more details, I want to attempt a DIY version of Halo 4 settings in Reach customs.

Yeah that would be very cool to try.

Can anyone identify the synth being used at the end on the concept art trailer (when it says Halo 4) and the beginning of the reveal documentary. It is a fantastic sound, reminds me of Star Trek and Tomorrowland at Disney. It has the space frontier vibe. I really dig the more romanticized strings too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAKmu2yn3Fk&t=1m22s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6UL63Zo-uo&t=0m12s

I'm really interested in the instrumentation being used for this game.

Sounds like guitar harmonics with a bit of an attack to them, along with some other obvious post-processing/synthesizers, though I could be wrong. I can't help you too much with Halo 4's instrumentation (minus the obvious "if it's not a real orchesta, it's EWQLSO"), but at the very least CEA's synthesized instruments (since it's 343's only real example of previous instrumentation) relied pretty significantly on Zebra2. It's most noticeable in the beginning of Dewey Decimate, where you can hear two of the baked-in presets: Crystal Cave, and its version of tubular bells (albeit without the arpeggiator/reverb effect).

TheOddOne

Truthfully, IMO, Bungie struggled with how to balance cinematic presentation with gameplay, often times losing sight of the story while working only towards the gameplay. Of course gameplay comes first, but it always felt like they lost sight of how the story works and how to convey it while making the game. I really hope Halo 4 can tell a more cinematic and cohesive story.
Yeah, there is some truth to that too.

Every time I see a post like this, I imagine Marcus Lehto reading it and I feel bad.

In my opinion, Reach got its fair share of love from Bungie. Hardcore fans (me included) might be disappointed by some of the design decisions made, but I think it's unfair to assume the game was "left for the dogs". Bungie has grown considerably since the Halo 2 and 3 days - it isn't practical to have 100% of the studio working on every single game. Still, I'm sure the large portion of Bungie that did work on Reach gave it 100% of their effort. I have no doubt that Marcus gave 110%.
It's just feel to me that they saw Reach as a sort of experiment. Which, as a last game made by them, just isn't what they should have done. It stripped a lot of what made the last games great, introduced aspects in gameplay which just baffels me and felt a lot of "we gotta finish this and be done with it".

If Reach was any other game, without bearing the Halo fiction, would have been an ok game. There is decent enough stuff introduced, even feels fresh — but as a Halo game? Just feels sloppy and a bad way to send off your last game in the franchise.

Again though, that is how I feel. I respect Marcus and Bungie as a whole a lot, but as a fan I also have to be critical of the people I have respect for. I hope that anybody from Bungie reading that feels that way, I'm not here to troll or to downplay Bungies enormous significance to the Halo franchise.

Booshka

The fact that the system is even similar to the perk system worries me. I'm not going to jump to conclusions until we hear more about it but remember that there was a time where we thought Armor Abilities were a good idea.

Also, I heard Sprint is in the game. Is this true?

Yes, Sprint has officially taken over Halo.

The fact that the system is even similar to the perk system worries me. I'm not going to jump to conclusions until we hear more about it but remember that there was a time where we thought Armor Abilities were a good idea.

Also, I heard Sprint is in the game. Is this true?

Not only is sprint back, it lets you move through solid objects.

How is it possible you haven't watched the video yet?

Marco1

Currently playing through ODST after picking it up cheap and the hub design is fantastic.
So sorry I didn't play this sooner. Also didn't know disc 2 was H3 with all maps.

CyReN

Anybody going to MLG Columbus by chance, didn't get the ref gig so I'm playing now. Just for shits and giggles, no fun.

Top Bottom