• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

With the Bulletin pictures, I feel I can safely say I really like the look of the new BR. Feels a lot closer to its in my opinion, FAMAS roots.

Cyren I honestly don't now how you have managed to stay as a moderator at the mlg forums. I use to be a frequent lurker there but I took a break from it after reach came out. I recently went back there and it was the equivalent to the bungie.net forums. Their posts on information we don't even have yet made me feel sick to my stomach and the arguments for certain weapons because they sound good just made me never want to set foot in their again. /rant

FyreWulff

Fyrewulf, did one of your maps get in matchmaking recently? A spire variant with a Gauss-Hog' near the cliff edge on red spawn?

I just played a game where within 10 seconds of it spawning, it was driven off a cliff by a disgruntled troll who didn't make in time to the gunner seat. NOT ONE TIME, BUT EVERY TIME it spawned.

Good times.

But I did end up catching this gem on rendered film because of it:

A busted-up flaming worthog that's missing 3 wheels, the turret and an engine but still drives.

What has modern science done

FL1Psyde

Neo Member
Cyren I honestly don't now how you have managed to stay as a moderator at the mlg forums. I use to be a frequent lurker there but I took a break from it after reach came out. I recently went back there and it was the equivalent to the bungie.net forums. Their posts on information we don't even have yet made me feel sick to my stomach and the arguments for certain weapons because they sound good just made me never want to set foot in their again. /rant

yeah, I'm so glad Cyren told me about this little section of heaven, so i can finally get away from that suck-hole

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=35851726&postcount=1887

Last three games of Team Snipers

Game 1:

noteamrestrictions.jpg

What happens when there are no team restrictions: all of my team quit within the first few minutes. I couldn't quit because I was on probation (owing to Rocket Race auto-quits and games like the one above). No fun for the four mic'd up Americans (prefer: good connection. lol), no fun for me 1v4.

Game 2:

badkids.jpg

BK's

Game 3:

bks2-2.jpg

Bk's

Trey

I never understood peoples' hard-on for the 1-50 ranking system in Halo 3. It didn't tell you much. I prefer how it is in Reach where you can see the kills/deaths and such across modes.

Ramirez

I never understood peoples' hard-on for the 1-50 ranking system in Halo 3. It didn't tell you much. I prefer how it is in Reach where you can see the kills/deaths and such across modes.

There's no reason you can't have 1-50 and more detailed stats. Reach doesn't separate K/D across playlists in game anyways...See people all the time who have 100k+ kills and a K/D of like 3.0, but yet they're terrible. Griffball boosting I guess.

Trey

There's no reason you can't have 1-50 and more detailed stats. Reach doesn't separate K/D across playlists in game anyways...See people all the time who have 100k+ kills and a K/D of like 3.0, but yet they're terrible. Griffball boosting I guess.

I suppose. If I had to choose between the two I'm taking the more detailed stats. Too much truncation and assumptions in ranks. Rather they just did away with them all together, but a lot of people like them and they don't bring too much negativity. As long as I can get an in-depth look into a player in a quick and reasonable way, then I don't care what other baggage comes along with it.

There really needs to be a social, fun playlist and competitive split. I agree that Grifballing skews reality.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I don't really give a shit about stats, I care about accurate rankings and good matchmaking. That's the most important to me.

Trey

Trey, what are you even arguing?

Nothing, really. I would prefer to have statistics and other such information instead of pure ranks when it comes to player profiles and matchmaking, although I wouldn't mind the former if the latter is present. I liked how in Reach you could see an overview of teammates and opponents, what they played, and generally how they did.

Ram made a valid point that stuff like Griffball can skew those figures, which is why I felt a competitive/social split in statistics would be necessary.

Karl2177

Code:
KD modifier = Kills + (Assists/2) / Deaths;
Loss rate = Losses / Games played;
rank value = KD modifier * Loss rate;

That's just something I cam up with real quick. A mathematician an come in and find what's wrong with it, but for now (until I can put more into it) it works.

Trey

Code:
KD modifier = Kills + (Assists/2) / Deaths;
Loss rate = Losses / Games played;
rank value = KD modifier * Loss rate;

That's just something I cam up with real quick. A mathematician an come in and find what's wrong with it, but for now (until I can put more into it) it works.

Doesn't reflect ability accurately in objective games. Simple enough to work in slayer game types. Isn't this basically what Reach does?

Tashi

Someone photoshop the Frankie onto the Riddler.

I prefer the Buckwheat-Eddie Murphy- SNL verision. "Unce, tice, fee times a madyyyyy" lol

By themselves? Nah.

Also, wins and losses are a statistic.

Oh you know what I meant.

Terrible way to gauge for solo players...The Henery is a good example here...

Ok so how do you do it then? Because there are a ton of stats out there that don't mean shit.

I had some long ass posts back in the day about ranks and how players can be measured and blah blah blah. StarCraft 2 manages your wins and losses and gives you points for those but it also knows when you're getting better at the game. It manages how many actions you're performing a minute. It measures your minerals to see if your macro is good enough. To see if you're spending your minerals.

How do we know you're good at Halo aside from beating the other opponent? I'm just talking about the gameplay. What are the things that I do with my spartan that shitty players do not?

It's more than just K/D, assists and headshots. Because there are 10's of thousands of players with better, "stats" than me, but I'll shit on them all day.

Trey

How do we know you're good at Halo aside from beating the other opponent? I'm just talking about the gameplay. What are the things that I do with my spartan that shitty players do not?

Weapon accuracy, average health/time alive/overall damage taken, damage inflicted per grenade, weapon preferences and time holding them, objective time held. K/D at certain ranges. They each tell you different things in their own niche way.

If I saw a General in the lobby, 95 times out of a hundred, they'd be a good player. If I saw a brigadier, I knew that they'd probably be competant with the BR. If I saw a Staff Captain, I knew they wouldn't be very good and would in all likely hood hide behind a door with a shotgun or hold forward on their left thumb stick for the entirety of the match.

It told you a lot more than Reach's military ranks and k/d spread statistics.

Blueblur1

Regarding stats: Halo 3 got it right, IMO. I was never a huge fan of the way stats for Reach was handled by Bungie and 343 (I abhor Waypoint).

Tashi

Weapon accuracy, average health/time alive/overall damage taken, damage inflicted per grenade, weapon preferences and time holding them, objective time held. K/D at certain ranges. They each tell you different things in their own niche way.

Those alone won't work. For those stats to be accurate you need to know how good the opponents were. They're dependent.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
That Microsoft Stud pic is pretty great.

And holy shit @ possible new Cortana... in human form? Naw, there's no way they'd put Cortana in an actual, blood + flesh human body. And maybe Jen Tayler will still do the voice acting?

Trey

Those alone won't work. For those stats to be accurate you need to know how good the opponents were. They're dependent.

The only way to do that is to track and individual's statistics relative to all the players they faced, and derive a value from that. That's almost inherently done in K/D and win-loss, but any substantial statistic would need to be more particular.

@thee: I could do the same summary as you within the parameters of Reach's system. Agree to disagree.

And holy shit @ possible new Cortana... in human form? Naw, there's no way they'd put Cortana in an actual, blood + flesh human body. And maybe Jen Tayler will still do the voice acting?

Where are you getting that?

I just assumed the guy and gal from the vidoc were voicing new characters.

Tashi

The only way to do that is to track and individual's statistics relative to all the players they faced, and derive a value from that. That's almost inherently done in K/D and win-loss, but any substantial statistic would need to be more particular.

@thee: I could do the same summary as you within the parameters of Reach's system. Agree to disagree.

I don't know the answer, I'm not sure anyone does.

That may be true at the moment but who's to say I can't learn and practice those shitty gametypes you guys play?? Hahaha. Actually, I'll bet that holds true regardless.

edit: I have the first 4 clips for this weeks montage. All no scopes. WTF lol gonna have to mix it up

Karl2177

Doesn't reflect ability accurately in objective games. Simple enough to work in slayer game types. Isn't this basically what Reach does?

Yes, but Reach applies it on a per game basis, and doesn't reflect it as a whole for a player. With Reach's metrics there isn't a way to determine an objective game. To add to that, the griefing ways of people will prevent certains metrics from being used; examples being flag caps/obj. hold time/kills while enemy flag is away. As of right now, there are too many things in objective to accurately add to rank aside from w/l.

Why? When I was playing it about a month ago I thought it was pretty awesome. Felt like someone had taken the shackles off my feet!

-Sloppy BR that has terrible spread, undependable weaponry
-Terrible playlist management and maps
-Terrible netcode
-Terrible framerate
-Slow gameplay.

Put a video of H3 up next to Reach and you'll see how much faster paced Reach even with all the ranting of "OMG AA's MAKE THIS SO SLOW". Those statements are simply not true Reach is fast as fuck.

Overdoziz

Banned
-Terrible netcode
-Terrible framerate
-Slow gameplay.

Put a video of H3 up next to Reach and you'll see how much faster paced Reach even with all the ranting of "OMG AA's MAKE THIS SO SLOW". Those statements are simply not true Reach is fast as fuck.
Reach 100% bloom is so slow it's not even funny.

Reach 100% bloom is so slow it's not even funny.

Well that pretty much doesn't exist anymore.

Where the biggest difference is movement. I am always shocked, but every time I play Halo 3, I am reminded that (yes it's due to AA's) you move around the map in Reach drastically faster than in Halo 3. I feel like Halo 3 is a game in slow motion.

They are both slow games, I'm glad that 343 is going for faster gameplay in Halo 4.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

its possible that they'll start with a human model before modifying it to be cortana...

Where are you getting that?

I just assumed the guy and gal from the vidoc were voicing new characters.

http://carnage.bungie.org/haloforum/halo.forum.pl?read=1130075

Karl2177

-Terrible netcode
-Terrible framerate
-Slow gameplay.

Best way to check. Play 2v2 Halo 2 Lockout. Record gameplay. Play 2v2 Halo 3 Blackout. Record gameplay. Play 2v2 Reach Lockout. Everything default settings with BR(DMR) starts.

Ramirez

-Terrible netcode
-Terrible framerate
-Slow gameplay.

The only one of those that doesn't apply to Reach is terrible netcode, lol. Reach is not "fast as fuck", seriously? The only mode in Reach that actually feels fast is ZB and all you do is cry when you play it, lulz.

GhaleonEB

The only one of those that doesn't apply to Reach is terrible netcode, lol. Reach is not "fast as fuck", seriously? The only mode in Reach that actually feels fast is ZB and all you do is cry when you play it, lulz.

I need to know what "fast as fuck" means. In Reach you can zip around fast with sprint, get vertical with jetpack, and die fast as fuck to grenades - all while feeling like we have a 50lb weight tied around our ankles. I sure don't feel fast when I'm trying to side step a grenade or back off from a dude sprinting at my face with a sword or strafe to dodge DMR fire or...

So, I've been watching Krow play ME3 for a while today. Bioware really does a good job of explaining the universe for those that want to catch up. Halo Legends did this with Origins (I think that was the name of it).

Halo has a relatively smaller universe and yet there has been very little info available in game. Maybe Halo 4 will be the turning point. I really cannot wait for stuff like that tbh.

Top Bottom