• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

Hey You

Yeah the majority of single player DLC is some bush league tack on that offers you very little content and is vastly overpriced.

There are exceptions though, like the amazing expansions to GTA IV.

And Undead Nightmare.

TBoGT & UN are the best DLC I've ever purchased.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Business speaks louder than words.

Surely you can appreciate that having a good long term relationship with a loyal customer base is more important than short term earnings?

The extra points in the earnings income charts for the next financial quarter are not worth the potential long term loss in earnings as customers lose faith in, and eventually stop supporting, a franchise. Just look at Activision and Guitar Hero. They kept on squeezing until the well ran dry.

:lol :lol

Swear it was an accident.

Sure, sure...

sisqo.jpg

I bought Anniversary a few months after launch and I still got the code for the Grunt Funeral skull.

Its likely cause the copy you bought was one of the first print runs you got lucky basically.

As for the unlocking the mass effect prothean character like he did in that video well... the download was 689mb... the character is likely on the disc and locked away but the whole mission about his back story and stuff seems to be what the DLC actually is.

The leak from ages ago confirmed he was intended to be in the game from release, he is essentially Kasumi Fairly sure her model was on the disc and people still went ahead and bought the Stolen Memory DLC and that was MUCH weaker in content than "From Ashes" its irrelevant to me since i got the CE and thus the DLC for free but honestly i wouldnt be too concerned buying it i very much enjoyed the content and i assume that content was the 689mb i downloaded.

Halo 3: No preorder only DLC, two DLC pieces, two DLC pieces held back to promote other releases

Halo Wars: Two DLC pieces, both have been full price since 2009. 10$ for 3 gametypes. There are no more than 16 people playing the playlists for these gametypes at any time.

Halo ODST: preorder only DLC (Johnson)

Reach: Preorder-only AND retailer specific DLC (Gamestop armor), preorder only DLC (Recon helmet w/ attachment), two DLC pieces that have stayed full price since their release a year and more than a year ago, DLC attached to promoting another release, and a gametype that requires you to buy 15$ DLC to even play in matchmaking.

Anniversary: Preorder only single player content that is on the disc

Prepare for Gears of War 3-level retailer bonuses and exclusives for future titles.

Just making a note of it, Halo 3's actually had baked-in data for every single DLC map (up to and including Heretic and Longshore) since release, though I don't know if that would really be considered "locked out" content. Some guy on Sevensins found it out and barely anyone believed it.

Overdoziz

Banned
Its likely cause the copy you bought was one of the first print runs you got lucky basically.
So it wasn't a pre-order deal then. I'm fine with that. If someone really cares so much about a stupid skull they should just buy the game day 1. Same goes for most of the pre-order shit. What do I care if someone has an extra attachment for a Recon helm and an extra chest piece and I don't? There's more important stuff to worry about.

Priorities.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
A few months ago the Thong Song suddenly popped in my head. It was weird, cause I hadn't heard or even though of it in like ten years. Then about twenty minutes later I walk into this cafe and they were playing it.

I'm a freakin' psychic, yall.

FyreWulff

Just making a note of it, Halo 3's actually had baked-in data for every single DLC map (up to and including Heretic and Longshore) since release, though I don't know if that would really be considered "locked out" content. Some guy on Sevensins found it out and barely anyone believed it.

I knew Halo 3 knew about Halo 3: Mythic since release (if you messed up a disc in a certain way and failed to load a campaign mission, H3 1.0 would say something like "Cannot play with this person since they are on HALO 3: MYTHIC"), but that just seemed to be Bungie pre-planning a later map pack disc release. But I never heard about map names being in it beforehand. The earliest we knew the map names was PAX08 from a leak that described every map in full detail except for Sandbox.

A few months ago the Thong Song suddenly popped in my head. It was weird, cause I hadn't heard or even though of it in like ten years. Then about twenty minutes later I walk into this cafe and they were playing it.

I'm a freakin' psychic, yall.

Than it is set, you will become the Sisqo that HaloGaf deserves.

So it wasn't a pre-order deal then. I'm fine with that. If someone really cares so much about a stupid skull they should just buy the game day 1. Same goes for most of the pre-order shit. What do I care if someone has an extra attachment for a Recon helm and an extra chest piece and I don't? There's more important stuff to worry about.

Priorities.

Agreed, I think Bungie handled it fine, it's nothing that will significantly change your experience (minus making CEA insanely easy on Legendary, or impossible if you have Boom and Pinata activated as well) and as long as they keep it to gimmicky stuff like that I don't consider it a priority. It's when you start doing things like "PRE-ORDER AT BEST BUY TO UNLOCK THE SECOND HALF OF THE CAMPAIGN" or "BUY YOUR MYTHIC EDITION COPY OF HALO 4 AT PIZZA HUT TO UNLOCK THE ABILITY TO USE THE X BUTTON; POWER TO THE PLAYERS" that I completely lose interest.

Redford

aka Cabbie

Do you have a link to that?

Priorities.

It depends how invested you are in those items and systems. If Ram looked at my Download history he would puke, Personally those things matter to me i feel im not get the FULL experience without them the content appeals to me alot for various reasons most of the time, I have little problems with paying for the content. Multiple retailer bonuses and such suck but they are going to happen regardless of what the majority of people do because retailers still bid for that content with the publishers.

DLC is a double edge sword, sometimes you get genuinely great content such as the GTA4 stuff and decent map packs, however publishers will always be looking to see how far a system like that can be exploited.

Someone brought up a good point before about this, "would the content be made if they couldnt charge for it". My understanding is that DLC for the most part is created outside of the normal dev period with separate budget and profit totals if thats the case then the content likely would not be delivered to users, expecting devs to make all this stuff without any return is pretty stupid really its still a business.

However disc locked content is an exception to this and its very much a case by case basis, Street Fighter X Tekken for example clearly has 12 disc locked characters + lots of costumes and customization colours locked on disc and that really sucks, The Mass Effect 3 DLC on the other had was actually a 700mb download, which i can only assume was the backstory and stuff which fits in line with what the dev's have said previously.

Meh, its a big issue and i could talk about its merits and downfalls for hours but im sleepy< just want to make it clear im not a devoted DLC defender but im also not 100% opposed to it.

I knew Halo 3 knew about Halo 3: Mythic since release (if you messed up a disc in a certain way and failed to load a campaign mission, H3 1.0 would say something like "Cannot play with this person since they are on HALO 3: MYTHIC"), but that just seemed to be Bungie pre-planning a later map pack disc release. But I never heard about map names being in it beforehand. The earliest we knew the map names was PAX08 from a leak that described every map in full detail except for Sandbox.

Me neither and iv dug around alot in the Halo 3 files, id be interested in a link to this Zee if you have one.

Priorities.
I bought Battlefield 3 a few weeks after it released. Because I decided to make an informed decision, I wasn't given free access to the Back to Karkand expansion. I'm fine with that.

But introducing elements to a game that are only available if you take the chance and preorder rubs me the wrong way. I guess it's a case-by-case scenario for me. Free costumes? Not too bitter. Free gameplay-altering content? That's touchy.

Overdoziz

Banned
I bought Battlefield 3 a few weeks after it released. Because I decided to make an informed decision, I wasn't given free access to the Back to Karkand expansion. I'm fine with that.

But introducing elements to a game that are only available if you take the chance and preorder rubs me the wrong way. I guess it's a case-by-case scenario for me. Free costumes? Not too bitter. Free gameplay-altering content? That's touchy.
Of course. I'm mostly talking about people complaining about the Halo pre-order/Legendary bonuses, because so far we've pretty much only gotten cosmetic stuff and a skull nobody (except Elzar) cares about.

What exactly is the on-disc ME3 DLC? I know it makes it possible to have more side-kicks but does it add any gameplay elements, backstory or small missions?

If you were truly good at making informed decisions, you would have realized immediately that BF3 was the shit and you would have gotten the first DLC for free. :p

And just to be clear here, no one is against the pre-order/buy at release and you get the first DLC for free DLC plan that they did for BF3 right?

Of course. I'm mostly talking about people complaining about the Halo pre-order/Legendary bonuses, because so far we've pretty much only gotten cosmetic stuff and a skull nobody (except Elzar) cares about.

What exactly is the on-disc ME3 DLC? I know it makes it possible to have more side-kicks but does it add any gameplay elements, backstory or small missions?
The DLC Character is completely on the disc. His mission is not.

wwm0nkey

While I agree with your point, Back to Karkand is quality, best maps in the game. Not too excited for the CQC expansion though.

While I agree with your point, Back to Karkand is quality, best maps in the game. Not too excited for the CQC expansion though.

I don't think anyone is.

Sadly, I'll still probably buy it from pure desperation of new content by that time, especially new weapons and assignments.

Hey now, i just like it is all. But, I agree that the pre ordering bullshit needs to stop.

Also related, I got two male avatars, if anyone wants them.

One is a male master chief.

The other is a male BF3 soldier.

Let me know.
Fully equipped with my MJOLNIR MK VI Thong. They borrowed Chief's cod piece as a prototype, but it was too small. Mine feels like two anvils dropping when I toss it.

Oh, I bet you do...

I mean it could be fun, but I didnt get Battlefield for CQC combat.

Will be getting the vehicle expansion that has the biggest map in BF history and the End Game expansions better have dinosaurs!

I wouldn't have been too upset if it was just infantry focused maps, but still built for 24/32 player servers and conquest and rush, but they are limited to 16 players, and it's unclear if they even support conquest or rush. (Even if they do, 16 players means they won't be in a conquest/rush rotation with the disc and B2K maps.)

I have managed to make about 10 posts in this thread today and none of them had anything to do with Halo. I apologize HaloGAF!

Computron

Ok, so Bloom, Hitscan, Perks and Armor-Abilities may be important,

But we are clearly overlooking the most important issue at hand:

Bendable Foliage.

i8EoMAJZEoc6M.gif

BELI343

If you were truly good at making informed decisions, you would have realized immediately that BF3 was the shit and you would have gotten the first DLC for free. :p

And just to be clear here, no one is against the pre-order/buy at release and you get the first DLC for free DLC plan that they did for BF3 right?
I bought the game, but apparently there were still copies that included the DLC key in the wild. I could argue for and against the practice, but ultimately, I think the BF3 strategy is fairer than strictly preorder DLC.

kylej

Banned
I don't mind DLC at all even if it's on the disc. Don't pay for it if it's not worth it to you. Gamers love to beat their chest and say they'll boycott shit or pirate stuff to 'get back' at the evil corporations. They love to rip on EA and Activision and bitch and moan about how much better things used to be. Guess what, dingus', games are expensive as shit to make and profit margins have dropped this gen. If you can make extra money, you try to do it. I would do the same thing in a publisher's position. It has nothing to do with 'fairness', they can charge whatever they want for their product.

In terms of dollars per hour, and cost of product vs expenditure on the creator/publisher's part, games are monetarily a better value than just about any other medium.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
If anyone wants to kill render minutes on me and render this game for my memoirs.

Cause that's how you carry bad kids:

ESQ3M.png

And they even had the nerve to quit(or lag out?) near the end of the game. >:[

Overdoziz

Banned
I bought the game, but apparently there were still copies that included the DLC key in the wild. I could argue for and against the practice, but ultimately, I think the BF3 strategy is fairer than strictly preorder DLC.
I bought BF3 about 2 months after launch and the store I bought it at still had the Limited Edition (launch edition) in stock at the same price as the normal version. Free DLC, baby.

GhaleonEB

Nowadays, I buy Halo games and maybe a couple of games per year that are really cheap. If I feel like gaming, I usually just feel like Halo. Saves me a ton of money :p
Yeah. I get 2-3 retail releases a year, tops these days. Last year it was Deus Ex and Skyrim. This year, it will be Halo 4, and maybe Arkham City over the summer if I get bored. I subsist off of XBLA and XBLIG when I'm ready for breathers on my mainstay titles.
Prepare for Gears of War 3-level retailer bonuses and exclusives for future titles.
Yeah, signs point in this direction. My hope is things don't get that bad, but then, Gears was published by MS.

Cosmetic things such as armor effects and doodads for the helmet didn't bother me, it's when they toss out stuff that affects gameplay that a line is crossed. Which is why the Grunt Funeral skull was a precedent I was hoping we'd not see with Halo. There are directions that can go with Halo 4 - if say, abilities get tied to armor pieces - that would be problematic. Hoping it doesn't play out that way.

I bought BF3 about 2 months after launch and the store I bought it at still had the Limited Edition (launch edition) in stock at the same price as the normal version. Free DLC, baby.
And that's where I find issues with it. Why would EA stock LE copies in some places and not in others?

:lol at Steely's gif.

I bought BF3 two weeks after launch, and no one had the limited edition stocked.

Top Bottom