• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT4| Trust's a Tough Thing to Come by These Days

Woorloog

Banned
So let’s say in theory down the line 343 Industries makes ODST², where should it takes place? I’m leaving the whole Spartan IV’s aspect out of this, so don’t take that into account.

The best thing about ODST for me was that it took place at night, there was a sense of dread and helplessness. The setting was ideal, fresh and unorthodox. Then again, if a sequel was made should it retreat those some core concept or should it expand and become a more blockbuster type game?

My ideal way at looking at ODST² is to keep it small, but embrace the open world aspect more – it even becoming a crucial part of the gameplay instead of the hub being more of a set piece. I would also love the embrace of exploration and backtracking (in my opinion, backtracking brings a lot to a game if done right). Also, small connections to the main games with ODST² getting its own story and arc.

Your thoughts?

ODST2... how i would love that. A mixed city/natural environment is a must, i think, the game should begin with a drop once again. But maybe a section in a ship before the drop, you know, explore it a bit, visit a training room, get weapons, go to a briefing.
But otherwise... well, there are many ways to do a good ODST game, i think. Being "lost" is a great experience, and some sense of dread should be in. Constant tension would be nice, ODST had it's tense moments but it was rather relaxed most of the time (as the game is rather easy. At least it hasn't made me tense after the first playthrough). Think the ODST announcement trailer, where the Rookie hides from the passing Brute patrol.
Oh and proper stealth should be in.

EDIT also, Reach soon, anyone?
But first, food.
EDIT 2 the fridge is awfully empty.

Old news to everyone else probably, but I just noticed that the nightclub in New Alexandria is named after Louis Wu. I remember him using the Errera logo as his avatar, but I never realized what it was from!

You know that its also the crater ODST firefight map geometry aswell dont you.

How about the Covenant Party easter egg.

THE GAME IS CALLED HALO BECAUSE THATS THE NAME OF THE PLANET

J10

Banned
Halo 4 E3 prediction: Theater mode has a full editing suite, including use of in-game music. Will also render to YouTube.

Constant tension would be nice, ODST had it's tense moments but it was rather relaxed most of the time (as the game is rather easy. At least it hasn't made me tense after the first playthrough). Think the ODST announcement trailer, where the Rookie hides from the passing Brute patrol.
Oh and proper stealth should be in.
About 80-90% of ODST's intensity is found in ONI Alpha Site.

Overdoziz

Banned
should of
iJ8JUiC5RzS14.gif

Woorloog

Banned
Getting literally one Hammer Chieftan away from Endure achievement. Urggggghh.

Hammerchief's are among the best enemies in any game, fighting agains them is so hectic, so dangerous.
I remember this one time in Halo 3 when a Hammerchief jumps towars my brother... that jump was like 10 meters high and 30 meters long... They're awesome.
Halo 3 Brutes were good (if just the AI had been a bit better and the pack mentality had worked better)... Hell, i liked them better than Reach Elites who are literally elites, way too elite actually.

FyreWulff

I had fun playing it, that doesn't actually make the map good or flawless, no map actually is... then there's Paradiso :/

Edit: who thought base to base sniping on Trident was a good idea? It isn't.

Cragmire will hopefully improve for you in the next update. There's a bug with the current version where blue team doesn't have any of their vehicles spawn (that was totally on me)

J10

Banned
If they add ability to crop out clips and stitch them together for self-made montages that would be pretty interesting.

I feel like that's the only logical next step for that mode. Whether it's actually possible from a programming standpoint, I have no idea. I wish I knew more about how games are made.

FyreWulff

Add me to your Friends List, i want to download it.

I'm away from my Xbox now to do that, but you can jump straight to someone's file share in Reach by going to File Search, Filtered Search -> File Share Search, and then you can just put in the gamertag to pull up the share directly.

Where does the gauss spawn Fyre?

In the current MM version: nowhere for blue team

In the fixed version: right behind the rock to the left of blue team's start

edit: if you pull up the current MM Cragmire in Basic Editing, you can see blue's vehicles sitting there. the fixed version just changed their labels to work correctly.

J10

Banned
I'm away from my Xbox now to do that, but you can jump straight to someone's file share in Reach by going to File Search, Filtered Search -> File Share Search, and then you can just put in the gamertag to pull up the share directly.

In the current MM version: nowhere for blue team

In the fixed version: right behind the rock to the left of blue team's start

I know May 5th is dead and gone, but are you still looking for maps for the 3K challenge?

Ideally, ODST 2 would look to something like Band of Brothers for narrative inspiration--characters come and go, some die, some are moved off the line, some are moved onto the line, so on and so forth. It would be organized into multiple acts with each act comprised of a handful of missions in a specific setting/planet (like Stalker mentioned). The first act could focus on training missions, the second on an assassination op (AssOps!), and eventually the game would end with a planet wide assault/invasion.

Players would play each mission from the POV of a "Rookie-esque" character with specific player traits/loadouts AND specific mission objectives. Upon completion of the mission players would be able to unlock the ability to play through that same mission from the perspective of several other characters involved in that mission with each of these featuring their own special traits and mission objectives.

Firefight would not be included in an effort to keep Ghaleon on track for his retirement.

FyreWulff

I know May 5th is dead and gone, but are you still looking for maps for the 3K challenge?

Sure, although I'll have to be fair re: prizes to the contestants that got in on time, but I'll still review it and consider it for being pushed up to matchmaking

haha so the Gauss wasn't neutral at all, good to know ;)

I was surprised when I had quite a few people tell me they didn't even realize only red had a gauss, they just assumed Blue was supposed to run to the river and get their vehicles there.

Fuck finding all those damn health packs on Spire though, even googling only gave me the location of two of them to fix their respawns (which are still broken on baseline Spire)

Fyre, God I'm sorry, but PM's

Don't kill me bro!

*stab* *stab* *stab*

TheOddOne

Ideally, ODST 2 would look to something like Band of Brothers for narrative inspiration--characters come and go, some die, some are moved off the line, some are moved onto the line, so on and so forth. It would be organized into multiple acts with each act comprised of a handful of missions in a specific setting/planet (like Stalker mentioned). The first act could focus on training missions, the second on an assassination op (AssOps!), and eventually the game would end with a planet wide assault/invasion.

Players would play each mission from the POV of a "Rookie-esque" character with specific player traits/loadouts AND specific mission objectives. Upon completion of the mission players would be able to unlock the ability to play through that same mission from the perspective of several other characters involved in that mission with each of these featuring their own special traits and mission objectives.

Firefight would not be included in an effort to keep Ghaleon on track for his retirement.
Everything, but the last thing, I am noddin' my head so hard.

Fuck finding all those damn health packs on Spire though, even googling only gave me the location of two of them to fix their respawns (which are still broken on baseline Spire)
I admire you for trying to forge Spire into an enjoyable play space.

On a related note I also admired Icarus for flying too close to the sun.

Everything, but the last thing, I am noddin' my head so hard.
Thanks man.

Top Bottom