• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT4| Trust's a Tough Thing to Come by These Days

Woorloog

Banned
"The scope changed significantly as we went along, and every time we saw it the game got longer, the spaces got bigger, new things were added. Certainly when you sit down with it, it's a lot more than just an expansion pack."

I love ODST but i don't consider it an full game. (Didn't pay full price for it either, but still a bit too much).
Dammit, now i feel like playing ODST again.

Sounds like you hit the jackpot, good sir.

My ex had no idea what gaming-related stuff she could buy me. :lol

been with her 3 years, she really likes buying me gaming related stuff, Large collection of figures/bobbleheads collectors editions and other related items. She bought me a Halo 3 spartan bobble head right of the bat, Smart lady

It feels great when playing solo but i feel like i've done that too much. Would prefer playing it in co-op... it's great also and feels more like being a commando. You know, coordinated attacks and stuff.

ArnoldHandshake

Overdoziz

Banned
I dont want to get into a big thing about this, but its pretty clear ODST started as an expansion and evolved into a full game.

Firefight + a campaign equal in lenght to any of the main halo games.

"Over the course of development it got a lot bigger than we were anticipating," says Bakken. "We thought of it more as an expansion and then it grew well beyond that. We didn't really talk about it until E3 this year, and it's something internally that Microsoft saw and said; 'What are you talking about - this is a full game.'"

"The scope changed significantly as we went along, and every time we saw it the game got longer, the spaces got bigger, new things were added. Certainly when you sit down with it, it's a lot more than just an expansion pack."
Bungie saw it as an expansion. Then Microsoft came along and said "hey, we can sell this as a 60$ game!". Then Bungie had to publicly act like the game is now a full game.

It's a 3-4 hours long campaign (of which the spend 25% of the time playing Firefight) with a survival mode that uses parts of the campaign. It's an expansion pack. It even says Halo 3 on the box!

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Bungie saw it as an expansion. Then Microsoft came along and said "hey, we can sell this as a 60$ game!". Then Bungie had to publicly act like the game is now a full game.

It's a 3-4 hours long campaign (of which the spend 25% of the time playing Firefight) with a survival mode that uses parts of the campaign. It's an expansion pack. It even says Halo 3 on the box!

Ah, the evil Microsoft bully fable.

This is not how I was hoping Destiny would be revealed. Activision, I am disappoint.

I'm sure the Bungie crew are frustrated, I would be too.

Exciting stuff though.
Not a good start with the Bugie/Activision marriage. Hope the game catches my interest; MMO's aren't my thing.

Homeboyd

Not a good start with the Bugie/Activision marriage. Hope the game catches my interest; MMO's aren't my thing.
Seriously this. No clue whether or not it will play like MMO's out there now, but I have never purchased one and don't plan on it. Who knows though... could be something new and awesome we've never even heard about!

I don't get the whole "number of hours" argument to support the view that a game is worth sixty dollars or not. ODST took me about nine hours on my first run, and I have played the game from start to finish many times since. All in all, I think I've put in about 30 hours for the game since 2009.

Of course there are a lot of "ifs" and "buts" to what I'm saying, but for Halo games? For me, ODST was worth the price tag despite however long it may be. I've gotten so much enjoyment out if the campaign.

2 more jump into ODST firefight with me and woolong now

Regardless of what happened it still shouldn't have sold at full retail price.

says you Knowing what i do now id still pay the £40 i did for it, and so would many others. You get the entire Halo 3 multiplayer with your purchase and more features than halo 3 for co-op and sp.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Seriously this. No clue whether or not it will play like MMO's out there now, but I have never purchased one and don't plan on it. Who knows though... could be something new and awesome we've never even heard about!

To note, the documents don't state MMO as you typically think of an MMO. It's peer to peer with a persistent world, meaning the world stays consistent between "games" or "matches."

It doesn't seem straight up like a WoW MMO with a FPS skin.

Tawpgun

MMO-like was how it was described. It won't be a traditional MMO because the Xbox can't do MMO's.

Like some others, I'm assuming its more akin to a persistent world. Hopefully something along the lines of Chromehounds. Maybe even bigger in scale.

Imagine if its an always online game. An entire universe, but you can play one day, solve a problem, play again in 2 days and other major events have happened.

Homeboyd

To note, the documents don't state MMO as you typically think of an MMO. It's peer to peer with a persistent world, meaning the world stays consistent between "games" or "matches."

See I'm trying to put in my brain what this would be like. A few people gave some examples of what they "thought" this might be like but I'd never heard/seen them. I guess a better question would be; what is the benefit of having this persisitent world in an FPS? Is it sounding more like a ME3 style action shooter (but in FPS) or a true FPS like we see now with Matchmaking etc.. but with some persistent world around it? I'm just not sure what the benefit of the latter would be.

Btw, I'm not complaining or saying "well I don't get it so that's stupid!".. I'm just really trying to find something comparable.

Tawpgun

See I'm trying to put in my brain what this would be like. A few people gave some examples of what they "thought" this might be like but I'd never heard/seen them. I guess a better question would be; what is the benefit of having this persisitent world in an FPS? Is it sounding more like a ME3 style action shooter (but in FPS) or a true FPS like we see now with Matchmaking etc.. but with some persistent world around it? I'm just not sure what the benefit of the latter would be.

Btw, I'm not complaining or saying "well I don't get it so that's stupid!".. I'm just really trying to find something comparable.

Don't see the benefit?

Someone hasn't played Chromehounds.

GhaleonEB

Heh - I don't really pay attention to either one, but I just looked up the various Halo games in both.

• Reach: GR - 91.71% | MC - 91
  • Halo 3: GR - 93.53% | MC - 94
  • Halo 3: ODST: GR - 84.92% | MC - 83
  • Halo 2: GR - 94.56% | MC - 95
  • Halo: GR - 95.58% | MC - 97
Gotta say... having a little trouble distinguishing between 'holistic' and 'bullshit'. :)

Totals are similar in those instances, but one is holistic and the other selective. As a longtime user of Gamerankings, I'll take the former over the latter, always. (Those are closer than I was expecting; searching a few random games I'm seeing 1-4% differences. Less than I recall, but still.) If you had a $2.5m studio bonus riding on the right score - which would you use? I don't think it's even a question.

Homeboyd

Don't see the benefit?

Someone hasn't played Chromehounds.
Again, I'm not saying "I don't get it so it's stupid!"... I'm just trying to understand the benefit of something like this which is why I've asked those of you who have played similar games. Like Chromehounds, care to share more about it?

I'll definitely listen to the sales pitch from Bungie, and will more than likely buy the game
used to give the finger to Activision, then buy a game's worth of merch at the Bungie Store, lol

MMO-like was how it was described. It won't be a traditional MMO because the Xbox can't do MMO's.

Like some others, I'm assuming its more akin to a persistent world. Hopefully something along the lines of Chromehounds. Maybe even bigger in scale.

Imagine if its an always online game. An entire universe, but you can play one day, solve a problem, play again in 2 days and other major events have happened.
So now I need to find out about Chromehounds. Fuck, it's already starting to get complicated. ;-)

I still don't think it will be a traditional MMO. I think it will be something with Halo style competitive battles but in a persistent world with unlockables in probably places you can go to spend money on weapons, items, and armor without the fear of being engaged in combat. I'm not sure how it will work, but I've got faith in Bungie. They've given me five great games in 10 years I spent 1000+ hours playing, I'm sure this next thing will be great too.

KageMaru

MMOs are possible on the xbox, otherwise we wouldn't have FFXI or PSU on the 360.

I agree though, this doesn't sound like a full fledge MMO where 1000+ people play on a server.

Again, I'm not saying "I don't get it so it's stupid!"... I'm just trying to understand the benefit of something like this which is why I've asked those of you who have played similar games. Like Chromehounds, care to share more about it?

The dynamic nature of a persistent online mode like those seen in Chromehounds is amazingly addictive. Tawpgun does a great job explaining why Chromehounds was awesome, I just don't think Bungie would create such a mode after it's already been done in Mechassault 2, Chromehounds, and now Amored Core V. I would like to think their idea(s) would be a bit more original than that.

Top Bottom