• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT4| Trust's a Tough Thing to Come by These Days

KageMaru

Played a couple MP games of Reach last night before heading out. I never play by myself, but I actually had a lot of fun. The fact that I had 25 kills in each game probably had something to do with that =p

I should be home all night tonight, so if HaloGAF has an open spot (or more since I have friends that can join), I would love an invite. =)

Co-op ODST... damn that game's a great co-op game. It feels so good. Halo 3 too. Hell, all Halos are better in Co-op.

Yeah I played some Reach and CEA recently and even with the slight lag, I can't get enough Halo co-op. I give credit to the AI and encounter designs, how no two battles are alike, for the infinite replayability.

Edit:

Just under 2 weeks till E3.

Never Forget.

Every time I watch it, I get chills.

Such an exciting time to be a Halo fan. Unfortunately, I don't think we'll ever see those moments ever again =(

Fuchsdh

Just under 2 weeks till E3.

Never Forget.

Every time I watch it, I get chills.

Yeah, it's a shame that time's past us. I mean, really we're all prolly jaded with everything that's happened since in the Halo series and FPS games in general.

343i seems to be swinging for the fences in an effort to capture some of that mystery and exploration with the campaign, I really hope they succeed.

Tawpgun

Weiner Bombers.

The Chromehounds overworld thingy sounds like Hybrid.

Hybrid has a similar system but much more simplified. In Chromehounds you could only attack territories next to your own. So you can see the progress of your nations invasion into another nations land.

This also led to only a select few battlefields being available at a time in the War Mode (Quick Match you can fight anywhere) This means that every point on the chromehounds map, and every map within that point was unique. In Hybrid, you can attack pretty much anywhere but you always play on the same maps no matter where you attack.

It was an awesome experience and I'm sad it wasn't implemented in more games after it. A game like Battlefield would benefit extremely from a mode like this. Imagine this system in Battlefront III.

:drool:

Woorloog

Banned
How was the connection your end? (and you over)

Very good, a bit of input lag but way less than Reach has, very playable (unlike Reach, which is nigh unplayable most of the time in co-op and Firefight). One lag spike.
Sniping was a bit difficult as i have to lead a lot but it is easy enough to adapt doing that.

MrBig

Hybrid has a similar system but much more simplified. In Chromehounds you could only attack territories next to your own. So you can see the progress of your nations invasion into another nations land.

This also led to only a select few battlefields being available at a time in the War Mode (Quick Match you can fight anywhere) This means that every point on the chromehounds map, and every map within that point was unique. In Hybrid, you can attack pretty much anywhere but you always play on the same maps no matter where you attack.

It was an awesome experience and I'm sad it wasn't implemented in more games after it. A game like Battlefield would benefit extremely from a mode like this. Imagine this system in Battlefront III.

:drool:
Planetside 2 puts together the best parts of Battlefield, Halo, the original game, and huge player count in a multi-continent war. It looks simply amazing, you should really check it out.

Woorloog

Banned
Planetside 2 puts together the best parts of Battlefield, Halo, the original game, and huge player count in a multi-continent war. It looks simply amazing, you should really check it out.

What platforms is PS2 coming to? PC at least. Not to 360 of course, it is Sony's game, right?

m23

Co-op ODST... damn that game's a great co-op game. It feels so good. Halo 3 too. Hell, all Halos are better in Co-op.

4 player co-op in ODST and Halo 3, some of the best times Ive had with the Halo series. Reach didn't do it for me campaign wise. Getting the achievements for doing 4 player co-op legendary with the iron (I think) skull on in the last missions for 3 and ODST were stand out moments for me as a Halo player. ODST Firefight as well, getting the achievement for playing on heroic and getting past the 4th set was painful, but great fun. I still have a few more firefight missions to complete in that game.

ElRenoRaven

OKC best team in the league. Bring it Duncan and Co.

It's going to be a great series. Hopefully Spurs don't blow us out but I fear the way they've been playing we will be in for a world of hurt.

They are most definitely behind in a LOT of important areas, no one will argue that. Here's hoping the Wii U can fix some of that.

Yea I don't think anyone will argue that Nintendo is behind. However with the rumblings from 3rd parties being good it's actually starting to sound like Nintendo could be starting to get off their asses.

Man, my 10 year old cousin is over playing campaign. It's all AR and melee with him.

Kid has some taste. You should be proud. AR 4 life!!!

ODST deserves a much higher score its easily on par with any of the main halo title. At the very least its a 90+ game

Yes it does. I really just think a lot of the reviews and people's attitudes about it come down to the launch price. I think had it been 40 at launch like it should have been then it would have gotten better reviews. So criminal the way it's underrated.

How about no ads for paying members and passing it along to the silver users. Hell, I would not mind the option to disable ads as a Gold member.

You know this is how I've always felt live should work. Silver should be able to play online but they get the bear bones features meaning online play online. Maybe in game voice. But that's it. It has the ads and all that bullshit too. Then if you wanted to go gold you'd get the ad free experience, party chat, etc, etc.

Heh. I agree. However the addition of the Halo 3 content made the price reasonable.

$40 for ODST
$20 for Halo 3's Full Multiplayer Experience

Very reasonable.

You know I'd agree except everyone had the Halo 3 multiplayer. So really the only reason you had to be happy about the Halo 3 stuff on it was for the new maps that you couldn't get without it for a limited period of time.

MrBig

Ah.
Another game, another reason to get a gaming PC.
MWO, Tribes Ascend, EVE Online, Planetside 2... I'm sure there are others i'm forgetting now...
Dammit. Must not think about this.

I'm in the process of building a new PC right now, hope to have all the parts by the end of next week :)

ElRenoRaven

Yup. The music as it opens takes me back, every time. I was on IGN and GAF at the time. Place went nuts.

Edit: and done. Yup, still chills. What a cascading series of awesome, even if it was scripted to hell and back.

God I always get sad when seeing that again. I watch it and just picture what could have been Halo 2. :(

Real time, but the engine was ultimately not usable for an actual game on the Xbox. Halo 2's development was.. interesting.

dat full stencil lighting

Real time? Any source? Last i remember hearing was that it was all built running on a high end pc and wasnt usable so they kept some assets and scrapped the rest.

So why didn't halo 2 turn out more like this again?

Wasn't this some kind of pre-rendered game sequence or something that didn't actually run on the xbox?

Because as awesome as the presentation is, it's just one scripted encounter after another. Of course, whenever people say something like "this is the Halo 2 we should've gotten," I'm not exactly sure what they're referring to, so I assume it's everything in it.

FyreWulff

Real time? Any source? Last i remember hearing was that it was all built running on a high end pc and wasnt usable so they kept some assets and scrapped the rest.

It was real time, but there was another Bungie employee behind the Chief deleting objects to keep it from crashing, and certain parts like the Brute boarding the hog / Chief getting the dual SMGs and the boarding of the ghost were done in scripting. You can see differences in the run throughs in each recording of the demo.

http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=25650

who_needs_sleep.JPG

Coag/BG with the E3 2003 engine.

This was taken in January ’03 with the graphics engine we went to E3 2003 with. The ‘pstencil’ engine as we called it just barely poked along at 30fps after herculean effort. After that E3 we decided that the geometry/lighting fidelity compromises we would have to make to do stencil were too great, and we went back to the more traditional lightmaps + shadow maps we used in halo 1.

It was real time, but there was another Bungie employee behind the Chief deleting objects to keep it from crashing, and certain parts like the Brute boarding the hog / Chief getting the dual SMGs and the boarding of the ghost were done in scripting. You can see differences in the run throughs in each recording of the demo.

http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=25650

who_needs_sleep.JPG

Coag/BG with the E3 2003 engine.

Wow thats so cool.

This is the best thing to come from E3 Halo related

Heads up: Beyond Good & Evil HD, Might & Magic Clash of Heroes and Outland for XBLA all discounted.

Hmm, might have to bite on Beyond Good & Evil.

That other thread is a trainwreck, but I wanted to make a post about the Bungie and Activision stuff. People are freaking out, but most of the stuff is just Activision covering themselves in case something goes wrong. They made a MASSIVE 10 year investment, of course they are going to have clauses in the contract so they don't get burned in the event that they game is somehow horrible or Bungie self destructs.

A 10 year, 4 game, and 4 expansion commitment. I doubt a publisher has ever made a commitment to a developer that is even close to that size before.

If the first game doesn't sell 5 million units in the first 6 months (it will), it doesn't mean that Activision tears up the contract, it just means that they will have that option, but if the game is good, and people buy it, there is very little chance that they will. These are the kind of things that are contracts between publishers and developers, especially with independent. I bet with the possible exception of Valve, this is the most lucrative contract for an independent developer ever. I'm sure they have tons of funding, they own the IP, and they probably have nearly full creative freedom.

The only thing I found odd was the part about aiming to make the game a "Teen" rating. When you use a gun to shoot things, it's pretty much an automatic "Mature" rating.

TheOddOne

So let’s say in theory down the line 343 Industries makes ODST², where should it takes place? I’m leaving the whole Spartan IV’s aspect out of this, so don’t take that into account.

The best thing about ODST for me was that it took place at night, there was a sense of dread and helplessness. The setting was ideal, fresh and unorthodox. Then again, if a sequel was made should it retreat those some core concept or should it expand and become a more blockbuster type game?

My ideal way at looking at ODST² is to keep it small, but embrace the open world aspect more – it even becoming a crucial part of the gameplay instead of the hub being more of a set piece. I would also love the embrace of exploration and backtracking (in my opinion, backtracking brings a lot to a game if done right). Also, small connections to the main games with ODST² getting its own story and arc.

Your thoughts?

ODST2 stuff

Same squad returning (some new support characters, and cameos from old support characters)

Open world stuff is nice and the whole "detective" thing was novel but id love to see more of ODST's doing what ODST's do "feet first into hell". Covert Ops that take your on a galactic romp (since halo 4 is going to be less of a romp and more exploring a world) Dropping into areas and behind enemy lines and such.

Please NO DEATHS for the sake of emotional reaction, All of Noble team should of made it off reach with the exception of Kat

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Old news to everyone else probably, but I just noticed that the nightclub in New Alexandria is named after Louis Wu. I remember him using the Errera logo as his avatar, but I never realized what it was from!

TheOddOne

Same squad returning (some new support characters, and cameos from old support characters)

Open world stuff is nice and the whole "detective" thing was novel but id love to see more of ODST's doing what ODST's do "feet first into hell". Covert Ops that take your on a galactic romp (since halo 4 is going to be less of a romp and more exploring a world) Dropping into areas and behind enemy lines and such.

Please NO DEATHS for the sake of emotional reaction, All of Noble team should of made it off reach with the exception of Kat
The whole behind enemy lines aspect would be cool, could bring variety into the game such as stealth or frontline type missions.

Yeah, no deaths for at least characters that have been just introduced.

ODST2... how i would love that. A mixed city/natural environment is a must, i think, the game should begin with a drop once again. But maybe a section in a ship before the drop, you know, explore it a bit, visit a training room, get weapons, go to a briefing.
But otherwise... well, there are many ways to do a good ODST game, i think. Being "lost" is a great experience, and some sense of dread should be in. Constant tension would be nice, ODST had it's tense moments but it was rather relaxed most of the time. Think the ODST announcement trailer, where the Rookie hides from the passing Brute patrol.
Oh and proper stealth should be in.
Yes, yes and yes. More tense moments and proper stealth are a must for me too.

Top Bottom