• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT4| Trust's a Tough Thing to Come by These Days

FyreWulff

I wonder what the decisions are behind voicing and motion capturing Cortana separately? Wouldn't it just be easier and more seamless to have Jen do the entire thing at the same time?

Due to time constraints, you're not usually able to have the actor available for both records and mocap at the times you would need them for both, which wouldn't be the same time.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I really, really, REALLY hope the sound of player movement is finally "good" this time around. A problem in halo is you can never really hear other players moving unless they are shooting or using equipment. I want to hear other stuff walking around me like I can in other games. It's such a good feature for online play.

Tawpgun

Hey.

At least shields recharge fast as hell, the game has a faster pace, and there are kill cams?

#alwayslookonthebrightsideoflife

Retro

I really, really, REALLY hope the sound of player movement is finally "good" this time around. A problem in halo is you can never really hear other players moving unless they are shooting or using equipment. I want to hear other stuff walking around me like I can in other games. It's such a good feature for online play.

I agree with this. I remember cranking up my volume during matches of Rainbow Six III to hear the enemy coming around corners and such.

m23

In my experience, Reach had pretty good sound. I've gotten kills many time from hearing footsteps coming from behind. Usually I'm wearing a headset or use surround sound, so that is probably why. I'm not so sure when you just use TV audio.

senador

Banned
Tell you what, MM better be top notch because I'm not playing ranked games with scrubs who press X to spawn instantly and rack up 20 deaths. Fuck that.

I never really thought about it this way. That could really suck. MM/trueskill better make up for it.

EDIT: I HATE LION'S AUTO CORRECT FEATURE.

You can turn it off you know.

I like it for the most part but sometimes it can be annoying and make me look silly.

Retro

Yeah. Instant respawn will lead to insanely deeper k/d ratios. Imagine all the bad kids who charge the lift on Sword Base because this time, they might get the drop on the guy crouching with the sword.

Now imagine they can do it without waiting 5 seconds each time.

Friends, Spartans, NeoGAFers, lend me your ears;
I come to bury Halo, not to praise it.
The evil that developers do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones:
So let it be with 343. The noble HaloGAF
Hath told you 343 was ambitious:
If it were so, it was a grievous fault;
And grievously hath Halo answer'd it.

The days of guests going -17 will be remembered fondly in the days to come.

kylej

Banned
I have come up with a term for Prestiging in Halo 4:

Prespartige.

343 you can have that royalty free. You're welcome.

Retro

I have come up with a term for Prestiging in Halo 4:

Prespartige.

343 you can have that royalty free. You're welcome.

The Spartrige Family
Staring Shirley Jones as Cortana, David Cassidy as John 117, and Danny Bonaduce as Grunt #2

"Halo world,
Is that Big Team you're playin'?
Too bad, play Heavies."

Randoms derping with instant respawns is totally true, haha

I played some CoD with my friend a couple of nights ago and we had idiots on our team who almost went -30 a few times. -30!

Computron

Looking through random .gifs, this one seems kinda fit GAF's reaction to the VHS leak:

sRKdW.gif

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
In my experience, Reach had pretty good sound. I've gotten kills many time from hearing footsteps coming from behind. Usually I'm wearing a headset or use surround sound, so that is probably why. I'm not so sure when you just use TV audio.

I use astros and I never hear footsteps. Other games I hear player movement no problem, COD, Gears, Battlefield etc. Halo you only typically hear them if they are overtly making sounds (shooting, jumping, using AAs).

Hell in Gears I can tell exactly where someone is by the sound of their movement and how it works in surround sound on my head set it's so damned good.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
My experience is the opposite.

To be fair, you don't play other games. The "sound of the movement" (walking) in Halo is so muted it's ridiculous. The sound of a spartan walking should not be faint.

Reach is a step up from the other games, but it still leaves a lot to be desired.

So you're saying that a super soldier wearing almost 900 lbs of metal armor should make more noise than a shuffle when running at combat speed?

I can see where you're coming from.

Pretty much.

The main issue is I feel it's an oversight when in other games I can tell exactly where someone is by the sound their movement makes (just the base movement). However, in Halo you don't really get that. It seems like laziness or some such thing to me. Another game that just did this is Ghost Recon, you can't hear other players moving at all, and that's completely bullshit especially for a game like GR.

You shouldn't have games in 2012 where you can't distinctly hear other player movement in multiplayer.

daedalius

To be fair, you don't play other games. The "sound of the movement" (walking) in Halo is so muted it's ridiculous. The sound of a spartan walking should not be faint.

Reach is a step up from the other games, but it still leaves a lot to be desire.

So you're saying that a super soldier wearing almost 900 lbs of metal armor should make more noise than a shuffle when running at combat speed?

I can see where you're coming from.

Tell you what, MM better be top notch because I'm not playing ranked games with scrubs who press X to spawn instantly and rack up 20 deaths. Fuck that.

LOL at ranked. You guys thinking that ranked playlists are going to be a thing...haha

Holy shit at GOT tonight

Yea I wear Astros all day and I only hear footsteps behind me in CoD.

Don't know if thats by design but Halo has never had good sound to the left right behind.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Yea I wear Astros all day and I only hear footsteps behind me in CoD.

Don't know if thats by design but Halo has never had good sound to the left right behind.

Glad other people see this too. I have a bit of a hearing issue (getting blown up and shot at will do that to you), but it's not THAT bad.

Not sure if you're "punning" the "movement" with "step up." Or laughing that Reach is an improvement over anything.

The movement sound was definitely improved over 3 though. It's still not where it needs to be however.

.shin

Banned
Did anyone think that this internal beta can be launched as a public beta if they just touched up some areas here and there? It seems like 343 is scared to hear feedback from the whole player base.

CyReN

Did anyone think that this internal beta can be launched as a public beta if they just touched up some areas here and there? It seems like 343 is scared to hear feedback from the whole player base.

or they want more time to focus on the real game..

I don't know how good beta are to be honest, my 2 favorite Halo games didn't have them. I don't know if there's a contrast to changing someone opinion on getting a game with a beta, it's always been a added bonus for me.

TheOddOne

And hopefully it is not perk or enhanced by a perk. Reminds me of another game, kind of niche and sold with goggles.

HELL no. Let's not bring soundwhoring to Halo. Flanking people and sneaking up on them is and always has been super important, and adding player footsteps would really screw that up.

FyreWulff

No, launching a public beta has almost as much overhead as releasing the game itself. There's stuff MS employees being devs themselves would understand. Players don't distinguish between "beta" and "retail" too well.

Bungie did public betas at great cost to their employee's time. Plus, the infrastructure was put into place many many months before the actual beta itself was released, and the Beta for both 3 and Reach were actually old builds, not the current build repackaged for retail boxes.

Maybe next time around, but I really never expected a new developer to have the ability to do a beta the first time around with a game series.

or they want more time to focus on the real game..

I don't know how good beta are to be honest, my 2 favorite Halo games didn't have them. I don't know if there's a contrast to changing someone opinion on getting a game with a beta, it's always been a added bonus for me.

Yeah honestly the only major and uniform feedback from public beta's have been things that are already set in stone at that point in development. Yes, I would like a public beta so I could play it, but I doubt it's actually significant importance in the development cycle.

Top Bottom