• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT4| Trust's a Tough Thing to Come by These Days

I was talking about this last night while playing Reach with a friend, but I had an idea for a Halo game that 343 needs to make. I know it won't ever happen but I think a lot of the core fans of the series would love it. I'll give my little explanation and I'd like to hear thoughts on it.

So the game itself would just be called Halo: Arena. A straight up multiplayer only Halo game released at $40. It would have the old school Halo every man starts off even thing back, no loadouts, every match would have BR/AR starts. It would release with around 20 maps, 7 arena maps, 7 midsize maps, and 6 BTB maps. No equipment, no armor abilities, no loadouts, no modifications, just pure Halo. Movement would be exactly like Halo 2. The weapon sandbox would include only trilogy weapons like the BR, AR, sniper, shotty, sword, rockets(with lock-on for vehicles), brute plasma rifle(cause everyone knows the red looks cooler), carbine, beam rifle, ODST pistol, and brute shot. Pistol, AR, and BR would be hitscan. Vehicles would include the ghost, mongoose, warthog, chopper, prowler, scorpion(with slower RoF than previous games), Avalanche nerfed Hornet, and the wraith. Matchmaking would be very focused,

Ranked
Team Slayer
Lone Wolves
Team Objective
MLG

Social
Social Slayer
Rumble Pit
Social Objective
Big Team Battle

this obviously isn't detailed enough to actually be a full game, but you can get an idea of what I mean from it. I think this would be a sick launch game for the 720, get all the people starting off fresh adjusted to a FPS that is purely about shooting. I'd appreciate some thoughts on this.

Retro

I think this would be a sick launch game for the 720, get all the people starting off fresh adjusted to a FPS that is purely about shooting. I'd appreciate some thoughts on this.

Make it a free game that comes pre-installed on the 720. It's missing a campaign, music, and is a 'distilled' version of Halo. Make it the Super Mario Bros. of Microsoft; packed in with every console that anyone can enjoy at any time.

The game could also be synced with Halo 5's matchmaking so that people playing one can play with people from the other. That way, if people hop into the "Classic Halo" playlist on H5, the community will be large enough to support it. So that, you know, the playlist isn't drained by people playing Living Dead all the damn time.

FL1Psyde

Neo Member
I was talking about this last night while playing Reach with a friend, but I had an idea for a Halo game that 343 needs to make. I know it won't ever happen but I think a lot of the core fans of the series would love it. I'll give my little explanation and I'd like to hear thoughts on it.

So the game itself would just be called Halo: Arena. A straight up multiplayer only Halo game released at $40. It would have the old school Halo every man starts off even thing back, no loadouts, every match would have BR/AR starts. It would release with around 20 maps, 7 arena maps, 7 midsize maps, and 6 BTB maps. No equipment, no armor abilities, no loadouts, no modifications, just pure Halo. Movement would be exactly like Halo 2. The weapon sandbox would include only trilogy weapons like the BR, AR, sniper, shotty, sword, rockets(with lock-on for vehicles), brute plasma rifle(cause everyone knows the red looks cooler), carbine, beam rifle, ODST pistol, and brute shot. Pistol, AR, and BR would be hitscan. Vehicles would include the ghost, mongoose, warthog, chopper, prowler, scorpion(with slower RoF than previous games), Avalanche nerfed Hornet, and the wraith. Matchmaking would be very focused,

Ranked
Team Slayer
Lone Wolves
Team Objective
MLG

Social
Social Slayer
Rumble Pit
Social Objective
Big Team Battle

this obviously isn't detailed enough to actually be a full game, but you can get an idea of what I mean from it. I think this would be a sick launch game for the 720, get all the people starting off fresh adjusted to a FPS that is purely about shooting. I'd appreciate some thoughts on this.

Shut_up_and_take_my_money.jpg

Overdoziz

Banned

Ranked
Team Slayer
Lone Wolves
Team Objective
MLG

Social
Social Slayer
Rumble Pit
Social Objective
Big Team Battle

In before Fyrewulff storms in and tells you that 99.9% of the Halo players never touch the multiplayer.

Make it a free game that comes pre-installed on the 720. It's missing a campaign, music, and is a 'distilled' version of Halo. Make it the Super Mario Bros. of Microsoft; packed in with every console that anyone can enjoy at any time.

The game could also be synced with Halo 5's matchmaking so that people playing one can play with people from the other. That way, if people hop into the "Classic Halo" playlist on H5, the community will be large enough to support it. So that, you know, the playlist isn't drained by people playing Living Dead all the damn time.

Yeah that would be a great idea. If it was included with the 720 I think tons of people would play it. I don't know if I would go with the idea of connecting it to Halo 5 since I'm sure that will include a lot of the more questionable stuff in the series but I do like the idea of packing it with the console.

And seeing as I'm really getting back into Halo now and I have loads of free time over summer break....

Don't suppose GAF has a team/regularly plays ? Would love to play with some non-randoms.

Ranked
Team Slayer
Lone Wolves
Team Objective
MLG

Social
Social Slayer
Rumble Pit
Social Objective
Big Team Battle

Make it 20 dollars, only include The Pit, Midship, Blood Gulch, and Valhalla, and I'm SOLD.

Ranked
Team Slayer
Lone Wolves
Team Objective
MLG

Social
Social Slayer
Rumble Pit
Social Objective
Big Team Battle

Great idea but problems and lots of them.

What happens to successive halo titles in regards to multiplayer.

What happens if this replaces halo multiplayer in successive titles but it ultimately does not get a sustained user base.

Its always going to be limited graphically via the engine and while i and the majority of HaloGAF are going to be fine with this. Graphics sell games.

Its a nice idea i just dont think it would work the way you plan. Something like this would come with the promise of continued support via patches and stuff but i cant see that happening.

Retro

Yeah that would be a great idea. If it was included with the 720 I think tons of people would play it. I don't know if I would go with the idea of connecting it to Halo 5 since I'm sure that will include a lot of the more questionable stuff in the series but I do like the idea of packing it with the console.

Well, I just meant that the "Halo: Arena" playlist would be accessible within Halo 5, or if the playlist you're in has an Arena variant, it can pull people from both games, in theory.

Free time in summer? That's beer-time.

You can drink beer and play Halo at the same time. I used to play Halo with a bottle of gin next to me and take a drink every time I won a match. I think I'd actually get better as the night wore on.

Great idea but problems and lots of them.

What happens to successive halo titles in regards to multiplayer.

What happens if this replaces halo multiplayer in successive titles but it ultimately does not get a sustained user base.

Its always going to be limited graphically via the engine and while i and the majority of HaloGAF are going to be fine with this. Graphics sell games.

Its a nice idea i just dont think it would work the way you plan. Something like this would come with the promise of continued support via patches and stuff but i cant see that happening.

I don't think graphics sell games like people say they do. Look at the biggest games this gen, Wii Sports, Call of Duty, GTAIV, Halo 3, none of those are graphical powerhouses. I think graphics are a bigger deal among core gamers and the media than the majority of players. The mainline Halo games will still have plenty of people and if this was good then there would still be people playing it too. I don't think it would hurt the playerbase that much. And it annoys me how people discuss Halo as if there's a limited amount of resources or money they can spend on patches or DLC or stuff(I'm not directing this at you specifically I'm just talking more in general). It's Microsoft's biggest franchise and the sole reason for the success of the Xbox, it should get all the support it needs. If not from 343, then Certain Affinity could do it, or one of the many new internal MGS teams. I think it would work if they spent the proper amount of time and focus on it.

kylej

Banned
This type of thing has been discussed for years. Last time I proposed it two weeks ago, nerds started crying about how important the Halo campaign was to the franchise. Sell two games; one the HBO Edition with a 4 hour long campaign and 3 BTB maps, and the other the Regular edition with no campaign, 18 maps, dedis, 60fps, Halo 2 mechanics.

I love the idea of a Halo: Arena type game. It could be similar to odst in that it is an expansion but it is all multiplayer not single player.

This type of thing has been discussed for years. Last time I proposed it two weeks ago, nerds started crying about how important the Halo campaign was to the franchise. Sell two games; one the HBO Edition with a 4 hour long campaign and 3 BTB maps, and the other the Regular edition with no campaign, 18 maps, dedis, 60fps, Halo 2 mechanics.

2011-05-16.gif

Woorloog

Banned
SNIP
I think this would be a sick launch game for the 720, get all the people starting off fresh adjusted to a FPS that is purely about shooting. I'd appreciate some thoughts on this.

Hmm. If i wanted that, i'd stick to Doom or some other old shooter.
I don't think this would sell that well. I doubt it wouldn attract a lot of players... If people actually wanted a pure shooter, a lot more people would play MLG, would vote for Pro modes or etc.. Considering how much people Team Slayer has, people clearly like having additional stuff, even if they're badly implemented (IMO). If they didn't like it, they wouldn't play it so much... (even though people here have a theory that people play anything on top of the list named Team Slayer).
Besides, i like all sorts of extra stuff on top of shooting in a Halo game. That extra needs to be balanced, of course.
EDIT and arguably COD and Battlefield feel to be more about shooting, where as in Halos you need team work and map control to excel. Competitive Halo players would definetly like this buy making a game that is specifically catered to them wouldn't be worth the money, i think.

I think this kinda game would be a bad idea. Would future Halos have multiplayer at all? Is it necessary split the playerbase across at least 2 games (In before someone says Reach and Anniversary, i think it was a stupid decision)? Has too many potential issues.
Also, i wouldn't buy this as a launch game. $40 for multiplayer-only game on a platform where online playing costs extra anyway? No single player to show off the platforms capabilities? Nope.
Oh and the sandbox suggested has some issues. Why the fuck is the Scorpion in? Even with lower ROF, it will be either OP or it will become useless. That thing has no place in multiplayer sandbox (and as long as it is slow, neither should it be featured in the campaign). Also, why the plasma rifle but no plasma pistol? And lock-on rockets?

Explain how that's wrong please.
Well, for one, all of the games you listed are graphically impressive except for Wii Sports, which has probably sold the most, so it's really all you need to make your point. I'm simplifying my reply by assuming "Wii Sports" refers to "Wii Sports Resort", the game that was sold separately.

Well, for one, all of the games you listed are graphically impressive except for Wii Sports, which has probably sold the most, so it's really all you need to make your point. I'm simplifying my reply by assuming "Wii Sports" refers to "Wii Sports Resort", the game that was sold separately.

Compared to Wii Sports those other games are graphically impressive, but if you exclude the Wii, all of them are pretty ugly compared to the normal game this gen graphically. Don't tell me any of those even come close to something like Uncharted 2, Gears 3, or God of War III, because it's not even close.

TheOddOne

This doesn’t eliminate the factor that resources are still split, whether they be separate or not – sounds like a cheap cash crab to be honest. Don’t see much in that idea, because those features should be universal across all the modes, including Campaign, Multiplayer and Spartan Ops.

kylej

Banned
This doesn’t eliminate the factor that resources are still split, whether they be separate or not – sounds like a cheap cash crab to be honest. Don’t see much in that idea, because those features should be universal across all the modes, including Campaign, Multiplayer and Spartan Ops.

Outsource HBO Edition to 343 China.

Compared to Wii Sports those other games are graphically impressive, but if you exclude the Wii, all of them are pretty ugly compared to the normal game this gen graphically. Don't tell me any of those even come close to something like Gears 3 because it's not even close.
They all look way better than Gears 3. Not even close.

But I digress, if your point is that graphical fidelity does not directly correlate to sales, I agree with you.

It was all going good till the last hour or two and i felt incredibly disenchanted with the game it got to stupid for me the story conclusion didnt satisfy me in anyway and the gameplay was the same as SR2.

Some great moments and a nice soundtrack but beyond that it fell short.

Out of every game i purchased in that crazy 2011 holiday season (starting in october) this is the only one i regretted buying day 1.

Still $15 is crazy worth it

Arnie

MLG Battle Canyon feels good. And it has teleporters.
I admit that Beaver Creek doesn't feel that great though.
EDIT let's not even think about normal Battle Canyon...

It was MLG Canyon that I was playing. Maybe it's because I don't get to play it often enough due to it being behind a paywall, but it just seems like a clusterfuck. Spawn, get donged from behind. Rinse and repeat.

It was MLG Canyon that I was playing. Maybe it's because I don't get to play it often enough due to it being behind a paywall, but it just seems like a clusterfuck. Spawn, get donged from behind. Rinse and repeat.

It would be way too hard to break setups on that map without the teleporters.

Top Bottom