• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT4| Trust's a Tough Thing to Come by These Days

Conor 419

Banned
My post was sarcastic, chums.

The point I was making is that 343i seem to be refusing to implement one, despite it being the best route towards satisfying the Halo purists and the fans of the new style gameplay.

Without custom game browsing, the original Halo chums are just going to be phased out. We're the old guard, whether we like it or not. We're going to have to adapt to the ways of the newer, younger and scrappier generation or we have to take our business elsewhere. With it, we could play our perfectly tweaked game modes in peace.

The wannabe "leaker" reads GAF? And he's desperate to join? Cute.

Dude should shave his neck beard and admit he's getting his information from someone else.

He's just trolling without a shred of decent info, so he's getting it all second hand. What a joke.

At least he gave me shoutout right?

Btw MTW the new enemies weapons and vehicles will be in the multiplayer brah, just because they arent in the beta doesn't mean they don't exist.

Woorloog

Banned
Even with no bloom and Halo 2 movement, can you think of any AA that meaningfully adds something to the core experience of Halo? I always thought of AAs as something that each broke the game in their own way sans hologram.

More tactical options, gives more flexibility to certain playstyles (theoretically, anyway. Certain AAs could allow me to close in and use close range weapons more easily or i could use an AA to keep distance more easily and use BR).
Which is a good thing as far as i'm concerned.
Of course it would be nice if we could easily identify what the enemy has at distance, ie the enemy having an Armor Lock won't be a surprise...
That is, if they work. If they don't (like Reach's) they just break the game, more or less.

I still think that the equipment were a better idea than AAs overall, they just needed some tweaking (both their stats and effects, the amount you can carry etc.). But as long as AAs are not broken i'm fine with them.

The problem with "classic" Halo and competitive Halo (like MLG) is that they lack options. All you can do is to use your utility weapon and get a power weapon.

Gui_PT

h5.jpg

Target Locator?
Grenade Pistol? (see the image top right)
Neither?

From the icon on the top right, it kinda looks like that weapon the chief uses to blow up part of the corridor in the first Halo 4 trailer we got

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Hey guys, been away most of the weekend what's going on in he..........

.......ah new leaked stuff, and HaloGaf freaking out. must be close to E3!

As a side, I like the sound of "thruster pack" way more than jet pack. No flying around the entire map.

Ken

Call of Halo. Great.

Edit: In all seriousness, I hope they will do things like ban certain Armor Abilities from specific game types and/or limit a particular AA to 2 players on a given team. That would help prevent things like teams loaded with cheap AAs.

Treat them like Summoner Spells in LoL and give them 100 second+ cooldowns. Make it so that armor abilities are for making big plays and not something that can be spammed all the time.

Blueblur1

There are two positive things to take from this leak, IMO: The confirmation of "Thruster Pack" replacing Reach's map breaking Jetpack and the confirmation of Ghosts (I love driving Ghosts). So it's not all bad. :p

daedalius

Stuff looks cool; as long as it is balanced well, I see no problems.

Also, more salty tears would be delicious. (Kyle doesn't fail to disappoint)

Also Firepower tactical pack, will be spawning with BR and DMR; oh yes. And I'll bet that regeneration AA is probably the one that makes your shield recharge faster (not necessarily start recharging faster)

More tactical options, gives more flexibility to certain playstyles (theoretically, anyway. Certain AAs could allow me to close in and use close range weapons more easily or i could use an AA to keep distance more easily and use BR).
Which is a good thing as far as i'm concerned.
Of course it would be nice if we could easily identify what the enemy has at distance, ie the enemy having an Armor Lock won't be a surprise...
That is, if they work. If they don't (like Reach's) they just break the game, more or less.

I still think that the equipment were a better idea than AAs overall, they just needed some tweaking (both their stats and effects, the amount you can carry etc.). But as long as AAs are not broken i'm fine with them.

The problem with "classic" Halo and competitive Halo (like MLG) is that they lack options. All you can do is to use your utility weapon and get a power weapon.
I think that when they start piling more and more they begin to fall under power creep. Even with equipment, what did they really do to the game? They either gave you high shielding with bubble shield and regeneration, or they would kill nearly instantly like power drain. Grav-lift would just have its specific grav-lift spots and that was about it. You had flare and radar jammer removed for exploit reasons, but I think that they were unnecessary regardless.

What I'm getting at here is that I don't think adding all these items and spawnable mechanics breakers actually adds to the experience, and only serves to obfuscate the purity we once knew.

feel

Digging what little I can appreciate of the visuals in these new leaks.

"No Sprint No Evolution" (Halo 2/3) playlist at launch please, we promise we'll still play vanilla and all the new stuff, but please please please let us have a classic home. :(

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I hate getting these little tid bits and trying to piece them together. I just want a full gameplay video and walkthrough and a real explanation.

Trey

Digging what little I can appreciate of the visuals in these new leaks.

"No Sprint No Evolution" (Halo 2/3) playlist at launch please, we promise we'll still play vanilla and all the new stuff, but please please please let us have a classic home. :(

I wouldn't worry.

kylej

Banned
Think about Guardian in Halo 4.

Where everybody has personal regenerators or riot shields, instant respawns, and can have rocket launchers fall into their hands as a reward for getting kills with the shotgun they spawn with.

Gonna be rad. Halo has evolved.

I would like a gametype that allows us to buy these AAs, tactical packages, and specializations from an in-game marketplace, ala Counter Strike/Shadowrun. It would make all of this stuff more tolerable, imo.

They spawned every 30 seconds?

There were two of them?
What? On Isolation? As I said, from my experience over the past half year, it hasn't been a problem every time I play on Isolation. I mean, people can have different experiences based on their skill levels, but my experience with the past couple of games of Isolation is that people mainly stayed on the outside and hardly bothered with the rooms the regenerators were in. I mean, they showed up in every game, sure, but I wouldn't characterize their usage as a problem unless you saw the regenerator itself as a problem -- which I can understand -- but its limited usage prevents me from having too much of a problem with it.

Sure. When I think back to playing on Isolation, the first thing that pops up in my mind is the regen. I find it odd that it was never a problem for you on that map.

Probably because you're a lot better than me, and played with better people, and so they would time it. :/ I mean, if you guys with higher skill levels (you and Bobs) say it was a problem, then I guess it was.

At my skill level, Halo 3 TS is a fantastic playlist. I feel kind of bad that I stopped playing it for Social Slayer instead during Halo 3's heyday.

Think about Guardian in Halo 4.

Where everybody has personal regenerators or riot shields, instant respawns, and can have rocket launchers fall into their hands as a reward for getting kills with the shotgun they spawn with.

Gonna be rad. Halo has evolved.

Are you a schizophrenic? KyleJ and JyleK i mean sometimes we get good Kyle who posts well structured reasonable arguments and discussion and other times we get this? whats the factor that brings about the change?

Your like Hulk if instead of super strength his power was negativity

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Loadout screen:
Primairy Weapon
Secondary Weapon
Grenade
Armor Ability
Tactical Package
Support Upgrade

Armor Ability screen:
Promethean Vision
Regeneration Field
Hologram
Hardlight Shield
Active Camouflage
Thruster pack
Autosentry

Tactical Package screen:
Resupply'
Gradenier (?)
Awareness
Shielding
AA Efficiency
Firepower
Beginning of the end.

Havok

Why do the leakers always do it half-assed? Transcribe all those damn AA/specialization descriptions so I should know when to start complaining!

Also, Regenerator was garbage. Sure did help ruin Blackout. And every other map it was on. (Bubble Shield and Power Drainer were only slightly less offensive, sorry.)

Are you a schizophrenic? KyleJ and JyleK i mean sometimes we get good Kyle who posts well structured reasonable arguments and discussion and other times we get this? whats the factor that brings about the change?

Must be the tears of the fat kids he's always on about :p

Woorloog

Banned
I think that when they start piling more and more they begin to fall under power creep. Even with equipment, what did they really do to the game? They either gave you high shielding with bubble shield and regeneration, or they would kill nearly instantly like power drain. Grav-lift would just have its specific grav-lift spots and that was about it. You had flare and radar jammer removed for exploit reasons, but I think that they were unnecessary regardless.

What I'm getting at here is that I don't think adding all these items and spawnable mechanics breakers actually adds to the experience, and only serves to obfuscate the purity we once knew.

Changed it so that i wasn't the same old.
Yeah, i do like change just for change's sake. Purity is overrated.
They allowed new tactics.
Also, new stuff forces people to revise their playstyle, it forces people to change, it forces them to adapt. And these changes may make the game a lot better, a lot more interesting. True, they may also make it worse (Reach) but it is a risk worth taking.
Mere weapon changes might not do this... especially if the roles are still filled by something.

Also, even if equipment and AAs are situational, these moments may change the match. For example, in Halo 3 one could throw the grav lift during a firefight and use it to surprise your opponent. This is just one way to surprise your enemy and gain an edge... but additional options are always welcome.
Again, though, i'll note that AAs/Equipment/Whatever needs to be visible on the player model to allow others to expect its possible use.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Sure. When I think back to playing on Isolation, the first thing that pops up in my mind is the regen. I find it odd that it was never a problem for you on that map.

It was a problem. Thing respawned way too quick. Was a bitch on the Pit too. Shitty Equipment

feel

Not everyone can be as consistent as you

The sad thing is, he's probably half right. If the perks impact the game im expecting that's how they will do so. Guardian would have sucked on Reach with Jetpack and stuff. :(

Surely you jest.

1v1 me Bobs

No, not in Halo 3

Alright, lets go 1v1 on Halo 1, or Halo 2, I would never play Reach competitively lol.
I seriously think I would kick your ass at any real Halo game, you can keep your throne on Reach, that things wonky anyway. :p

I would actually love to play Halo 1, or 2 right now, I have 2 ethernet wires aswell, I might try and set up xbconnect.

Voltron64

Loadout screen:
Primairy Weapon
Secondary Weapon
Grenade
Armor Ability
Tactical Package
Support Upgrade

Armor Ability screen:
Promethean Vision
Regeneration Field
Hologram
Hardlight Shield
Active Camouflage
Thruster pack
Autosentry

Tactical Package screen:
Resupply'
Gradenier (?)
Awareness
Shielding
AA Efficiency
Firepower

Seeing the loudouts outlined like this is making me a bit apprehensive.

Aggrotek

I really hope this game is good. As a defender of the "wait for official footage group" I must wait for official footage to pass judgement.

This is turning out to be difficult.

I wonder if they have systems in place to add new content post launch. Mass Effect 3 is adding new maps to rotations and new weapons as well as new consumables. These change the gameplay pretty drastically in some cases. The new characters have completely new abilities too.

I'd hope that in this day and age of post launch content, we will see at the very least, new skins and emblems. New weapons entirely? Probably not likely, but it would be nice.

Conor 419

Banned
Oh man, I have this great post which puts this entire Halo debate in perspective, in terms of Game of Thrones analogies.

I'll post it after E3, because I'm worried it'll potentially cause a shit storm.

Stuff looks cool; as long as it is balanced well, I see no problems.

Also, more salty tears would be delicious. (Kyle doesn't fail to disappoint)

Also Firepower tactical pack, will be spawning with BR and DMR; oh yes. And I'll bet that regeneration AA is probably the one that makes your shield recharge faster (not necessarily start recharging faster)

That would make it a perk, not an AA.

senador

Banned
I totally hate learning about stuff this way. Need context, video, info about how they are used. I'm less excited at the moment though. Sounds lame.

Top Bottom