• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT4| Trust's a Tough Thing to Come by These Days

Changed it so that i wasn't the same old.
Yeah, i do like change just for change's sake. Purity is overrated.
Also, new stuff forces people to revise their playstyle, it forces people to change, it forces them to adapt. And these changes may make the game a lot better, a lot more interesting. True, they may also make it worse (Reach) but it is a risk worth taking.
Mere weapon changes might not do this... especially if the roles are still filled by something.

Also, even if equipment and AAs are situational, these moments may change the match. For example, in Halo 3 one could throw the grav lift during a firefight and use it to surprise your opponent. This is just one way to surprise your enemy and gain an edge... but additional options are always welcome.
Again, though, i'll note that AAs/Equipment/Whatever needs to be visible on the player model to allow others to expect its possible use.
Could not possibly disagree more with the bolded. I would be more open to these changes if it was easier to go back to classic version. If I hated Diablo 3 it would not affect me whatsoever because I could just as easily go back to Diablo 2 and have the game I want. Can't really do that with Halo 2.

We've seen with Reach how it could go awry, but the thing is if Halo 4 ends up being another strike I think the series is truly fucked. Equipment rarely gave subtle tweaks to battles and instead added wild sways in either being super destructive or super defensive. AAs went off the deep end in that regard and brought us to where we are here. I think merely piling on mechanics isn't the best approach.

Change for the sake of change, probably the worst thing to do for sequels. It would be nice like you said if there were some visible indicators to what their ability is. If Reach gave everyone using armour lock an awkwardly fastened bicycle helmet on their head I think things would've been much more tolerable from the start.

Guess if we had more info we would know.

Yeah I we don't know exactly what it's going to be, but we know that the AA's are passive attributes like that perks are.

We already saw the regen field in the leaked vhs footafe, it made the shield faster (way too fast imo).

Don't remember seeing that, although I didn't watch the video all the way through, that quality was too hard watch. So was it basically like regen from Halo 3? I field that recharges your shields if your standing in it?

Do you know where it was in the video?

TCKaos

This actually went much better than expected. The new changes will bring about some variety to the decade-old formula that very much needed it. I would like to know how all of this balances out.

I have faith in you 343. Please do not ruin this for me now.

I thought the leaks for Halo 4 in 2012 would have compromised of overzealous photographs passed through some Instagram filters.

I have heard someone call Halo and Instagram Hipster, that combination would be like the most hipster thing ever. Coloured out halo leaks are basically the norm at this point so I guess the leaks are influenced by Instagram?

We already saw the regen field in the leaked vhs footafe, it made the shield faster (way too fast imo).

Ok I checked it, at 4:15-20 you can see the guy on top drop the regen field, once the dude enters it the shield suddenly recharches very quickly.

Ok I checked it, at 4:15-20 you can see the guy on top drop the regen field, once the dude enters it the shield suddenly recharches very quickly.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

it's almost instant.

still reserving judgement.

CyReN

MNDTO.png

5kwUe.jpg

Woorloog

Banned
Could not possibly disagree more with the bolded. I would be more open to these changes if it was easier to go back to classic version. If I hated Diablo 3 it would not affect me whatsoever because I could just as easily go back to Diablo 2 and have the game I want. Can't really do that with Halo 2.
Yeah, well, shit happens. Which is why i have this attitude, when it comes to multiplayer. Since all MP games are going to die, i'd rather have them to try something new and make changes. I don't get attached to MP games, that won't end well.
I'd stick to Halo 3 if it were still supported, if it still had enough players to find matches that are lag-free and matchmaking wouldn't take ages.
This said, i really hope Halo 4 customization allows re-creating old experiences, neither Halo 3 or Reach really allowed this... this way some part of the old MP games still lives, best of the both worlds. As long as it ain't a mess like Reach/Anniversary...

We've seen with Reach how it could go awry, but the thing is if Halo 4 ends up being another strike I think the series is truly fucked. Equipment rarely gave subtle tweaks to battles and instead added wild sways in either being super destructive or super defensive. AAs went off the deep end in that regard and brought us to where we are here. I think merely piling on mechanics isn't the best approach.
Never said equipment were perfect.. you're right they changed things a bit too drastically. Still, i think i'd rather have them than be without.

Change for the sake of change, probably the worst thing to do for sequels. It would be nice like you said if there were some visible indicators to what their ability is. If Reach gave everyone using armour lock an awkwardly fastened bicycle helmet on their head I think things would've been much more tolerable from the start.

I'm not sure if i'd buy a game if it didn't have any changes to it's predecessor, mere graphics update and new campaign/story (depending on genre) may not cut it. There has to be change to sell the sequel (one must never forget video games are business). Of course it is always better to change something that is broken or weak, but change can be merely re-building a broken feature into something that works (and once a series runs out of those, one needs to add new features, and sometimes fixing things is not really enough).

Armor abilities being tied to how your armor looks might be a good idea, ie EVA armor=Thruster pack, HAZOP is something etc... this would mean no armor customization but it is something i'd be willing to sacrifice to easily identify what the enemy has.

I haven't read about much of what has leaked, I'll wait for 343 to talk about it when they're ready, but I get the jist.
This game.
One moment I'm super excited and the next I don't know what to think.

But hey, E3 next week :).

I rarely even browse Gaf itself anymore, I tend to just jump straight into my subscribed threads. Tends to just be this thread lol.

Who is going to make the next OT, I reckon it will be needed before E3 is over.

Retro

I think I'm out too.

Blurry scraps of highly suspect info from xXB0NGxW4T3R_420Xx without any context at all, least of all actual function in gameplay, is just going to irritate me more than anything.

E3 is a week away.

See you in a week, HaloGAF

Love, always,
- Retro

TheOddOne

I think I'm out too.

Blurry scraps of highly suspect info from xXB0NGxW4T3R_420Xx without any context at all, least of all actual function in gameplay, is just going to irritate me more than anything.

E3 is a week away.

See you in a week, HaloGAF

Love, always,
- Retro
This has been a bad day for me.

Yeah, I guess I'm jumping off the bandwagon, too. Everybody';s jumpin at scraps and shit from blurry ass screenshots/videos with no real context or professional information.

See you assholes in a week!

"Only the strongest will survive"

Uh Gaf, that song lyric came to me to describe this situation, that song sucked, I am dissapointed in myself, today has been a very bad day.

EDIT: My Xbox just red ringed on Halo. :(

Eh ill stay a while and listen.

I wont be posting much and ill try and keep away as much as i can these leaked pics are shitty quality and no fun to look at.

If i dont post ill see you in a week halogaf.

I'm not sure if i'd buy a game if it didn't have any changes to it's predecessor, mere graphics update and new campaign/story (depending on genre) may not cut it. There has to be change to sell the sequel (one must never forget video games are business). Of course it is always better to change something that is broken or weak, but change can be merely re-building a broken feature into something that works (and once a series runs out of those, one needs to add new features, and sometimes fixing things is not really enough).

Armor abilities being tied to how your armor looks might be a good idea, ie EVA armor=Thruster pack, HAZOP is something etc... this would mean no armor customization but it is something i'd be willing to sacrifice to easily identify what the enemy has.
I wouldn't want the multiplayer to be a mere graphical update of what came before either, don't get me wrong. I just think a sequel can do more being a refinement rather than a kitchen sink. Or maybe upgrading the surrounding features, like dedis and a Far Cry 2-like map maker. There are plenty of additions that can make me excited, but I think the equipment/AA approach have both failed, so it's a real hard sell going forward.

Woorloog

Banned
I wouldn't want the multiplayer to be a mere graphical update of what came before either, don't get me wrong. I just think a sequel can do more being a refinement rather than a kitchen sink. Or maybe upgrading the surrounding features, like dedis and a Far Cry 2-like map maker. There are plenty of additions that can make me excited, but I think the equipment/AA approach have both failed, so it's a real hard sell going forward.

Me, i prefer something that changes the game directly, i have little interest in other, surrounding features. Active Rooster for example. A great idea, works well, but i couldn't care less about if we didn't have it (but now that we have it, we need it for Halo 4). Forge and/or map editors are another such (especially since i found out i cannot use Forge without motion sickness).

Refining things is always good but for me refining alone is not enough, as i said. And i doubt a sequel that is merely refined would sell well either... Hmm. Or maybe they do, don't think CODs have had real changes since COD4MW...
Do note that 343i seems to be trying to refine Halo 4's AAs... even a broken feature can be made a good part of the core gameplay with proper refinement. Though admittedly that may take more effort than merely scrapping it and adding something else.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Tears are delicious. Especially since all we've seen is a crappy leak video. Frankie must be laughing at how many people are crying doom after a terrible leak like that.

They are also going by the leaked loadouts, perks and armor abilities.

The complaints are pretty valid given what we know at this point. Everyone SHOULD be worried.

They took the things people hated about 3 and Reach and combined them (Equipment and armor abilities) then threw in perks and loadouts ontop of it.

Top Bottom