• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT4| Trust's a Tough Thing to Come by These Days

That's exactly what it's doing to people and the point I was trying to get across. That's exactly what's going on that you're commenting about. People are being VERY cautious/skeptical about what they are seeing.

They are reacting the same way they did with Reach. They are being bitten again.

Fool me once indeed.

Karl2177

Who got burned?

People who had their expectations closer to the sun.

Who didn't get burned?

Everyone else with more down to earth expectations.

By all means, judge what you see whenever you see it. Reach didn't burn a lot of people as many enjoyed it then and still enjoy it now. If anything, Reach should teach you to keep your expectations in check. Maybe these leaks are the flashing red sirens for you. You have different wants to me.
I'm sorry that I didn't set my expectations to rockets with jetpacks, armor lock, slow move speed, bloom, camo snipers, crappy asynchronous networking, wraiths firing backwards, low jump height. Oh wait I did and it was shit. Why should I expect any different this time around?

Woorloog

Banned
Auto turret = AI

Campaign/Spartan Ops exclusive abilities?

Or they've managed to make AI work on the MM network code.
Hopefully that, that would mean Spartan Ops won't need its own code and will be input-lag free, right?

Speaking of this, ODST-level of input lag is absolutely maximum acceptable for Spartan Ops, any more and it is unplayable like Reach Firefight.

Auto turret = AI

Campaign/Spartan Ops exclusive abilities?

Good point. I was trying to figure out a way that an auto turret would be balanced, especially in an objective game type but I couldn't think of anything.

edit: wait, wasn't there an auto turret equipment thing in Halo 3?

edit 2: I just looked it up and it's only in campaign.

They are reacting the same way they did with Reach. They are being bitten again.

Fool me once indeed.

I dont get it, people are reacting more cautiously this time because they didnt like Reach. I mean personally I was skeptical in the run up to Reach but most of the guys here weren't.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Looking at that spoilered list of abilities and perks, it is honestly making me feel better about MP. At first I was of course very upset and concerned it would be Reach all over again, but they are adding in so much shit that it's not even going to feel like Reach.

I'm definitely ok with it not feeling like Reach. I hope it feels as little like Reach as possible.

And it's pretty clear that they are wanting you to establish an identity/role using all of these tools, which I think it great. Is it COD? Yup, pretty much. But it's not. We haven't had this level of player customization yet in a HALO game, so I'm feeling VERY open now to what we will be presented with. All of this shit looks terrible in writing, especially from the idiots who distributed the leaked info. Of course they're going to put a certain spin on the info that makes your stomach turn.

So yeah, unexpected rant a little bit. But I am very happy right now, and I am a person who hated the direction Reach took. And I absolutely cannot fucking wait for the Halo 4 sex we're going to be getting at E3.

What's changed?
I ended up deeply disappointed and don't play it anymore (which caused a moment of hilarity earlier on live).
I see things I consider core like spawn timers removed (in certain unclarified places).

So what changed?
A) Reach came out
B) The information and some of the art for Halo 4 came out

Edit: ^ Well now. *hugs*

Phatcorns

Can anyone link me to an official source of all the changes made in the title update for reach? I'm trying to get back in the game but I have no idea what's different.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Looking at that spoilered list of abilities and perks, it is honestly making me feel better about MP. At first I was of course very upset and concerned it would be Reach all over again, but they are adding in so much shit that it's not even going to feel like Reach.

I'm definitely ok with it not feeling like Reach. I hope it feels as little like Reach as possible.

And it's pretty clear that they are wanting you to establish an identity/role using all of these tools, which I think it great. Is it COD? Yup, pretty much. But it's not. We haven't had this level of player customization yet in a HALO game, so I'm feeling VERY open now to what we will be presented with. All of this shit looks terrible in writing, especially from the idiots who distributed the leaked info. Of course they're going to put a certain spin on the info that makes your stomach turn.

So yeah, unexpected rant a little bit. But I am very happy right now, and I am a person who hated the direction Reach took. And I absolutely cannot fucking wait for the Halo 4 sex we're going to be getting at E3.

My concern is less with the abilities and more with the issue of balance. When you have that many interchangeable variables that a person can put on them self and potentially abuse balance becomes a pain in the ass. Without a public beta for a "good" length of time, all the game will be exposed to is small control groups of people who won't play like the mass population (griefing, abusing, min/maxing). There is almost guaranteed to be something in this loadout that's going to "break" the game and make it "suck" to a lot of people for whatever reason until it's fixed/rebalanced. But typically when that happens something else will inevitably arise again to break the system. Then Halo's MP is at the whim of 343's MP group to update and fix, whenever they feel the need (which is scary to think about.)

Zoolader

In case you all missed Urk's rendition of my bubble bigfoot screen grab mystery in the other thread. I know many of you don't visit there much.

57f6bccdead0a8c7eec68b41e53d347583ebb628.jpg

FyreWulff

My concern is less with the abilities and more with the issue of balance. When you have that many interchangeable variables that a person can put on them self and potentially abuse balance becomes a pain in the ass. Without a public beta for a "good" length of time, all the game will be exposed to is small control groups of people who won't play like the mass population (griefing, abusing, min/maxing). There is almost guaranteed to be something in this loadout that's going to "break" the game and make it "suck" to a lot of people for whatever reason.

Doesn't matter when we have two redundant godrifles now from 343 "We have changes to the DMR that you haven't seen yet that balance out the reduced bloom in the Reach TU" Industries. Just write off the multi like I did and look forward to the campaign. Unless you really want to play Halo 2 Multiplayer Part 2: The BRening.

Rest of the stuff leaked hasn't really moved my opinion of it one way or another.

In case you all missed Urk's rendition of my bubble bigfoot screen grab mystery in the other thread. I know many of you don't visit there much.

57f6bccdead0a8c7eec68b41e53d347583ebb628.jpg

Hahaha

That's fucking great.

So I went and found the regen part from the vid, it appears to fully recharge your shields almost instantly. :/

I have videos saved of my first time through "Sierra 117" and part of "Crow's Nest." Here's what I did the first time I tackled the Brute hallway:

1. Didn't noticed, and so completely bypassed, the rack of shotguns next to the entrance.
2. Killed the two Brute "scouts" at the start and used the gravity lifts to jump up to the second floor. Then I stumble my way to a weapons rack and pick up a shotgun.
3. I fight off a number of brave Brutes with the shotgun.
4. Chieftain comes after me. I fire a couple of shotgun rounds at him, and throw him off by deploying another gravity lift in his path. I eventually die by a hammer swing.
5. Next life I immediately attack the two Brute scouts.
6. I stay on the first level for far longer but move up to the second level again. I make better use of the side rooms this time.
7. I take out more of the Brute squad before the Chieftain decides to challenge me. In my ignorance I try to stick him a couple of times. Bastard! He forces me back to the first floor, and a hammer swing propels me back to the second. I kill him by unloading the AR into him, and use his gravity hammer to kill the final Brute.

Interesting to look at your first run through a game. Almost like playing it for the first time again. I think this was the easiest time I've had taking out the Brutes here. Now I'm just too careless lol.

Woorloog

Banned
So I went and found the regen part from the vid, it appears to fully recharge your shields almost instantly. :/

Urgh... hopefully it ain't as fast in the final game. Halo 3 regen would've been ok if it had been really short (lasts just a couple of seconds, ie quick one-time recharge) or if it had been a lot slower (constant low-speed recharge).
Fast regen is not a problem if you cannot use it often (once per 2-3 minutes or so) and it can be interrupted or something

Ryaaan14

Banned
My concern is less with the abilities and more with the issue of balance. When you have that many interchangeable variables that a person can put on them self and potentially abuse balance becomes a pain in the ass. Without a public beta for a "good" length of time, all the game will be exposed to is small control groups of people who won't play like the mass population (griefing, abusing, min/maxing). There is almost guaranteed to be something in this loadout that's going to "break" the game and make it "suck" to a lot of people for whatever reason until it's fixed/rebalanced. But typically when that happens something else will inevitably arise again to break the system. Then Halo's MP is at the whim of 343's MP group to update and fix, whenever they feel the need (which is scary to think about.)
I see. Well, it may sound foolish, but I do trust everyone at 343. They all love Halo just as much as we do. Every day they breathe Halo, while we sit at the computer bitching about this and that and maybe spend a few hours a day playing (being generous with that).

So yeah, based on that, and what's at stake, they will not fuck this up.

Fracas

#fuckonami
To be honest, only thing keeping me optimistic about Halo 4's multiplayer is that the Franchise Development Director is a regular poster here, and knows exactly what Halo's dedicated fans want most.

blamite

If that regeneration field works anything like the fucking regenerator from Halo 3, I think I'll just stay the hell away from any playlists with loadouts. Coming up against that thing was way worse than armor lock because not only were they invincible, they could shoot back.

J10

Banned
To be honest, only thing keeping me optimistic about Halo 4's multiplayer is that the Franchise Development Director is a regular poster here, and knows exactly what Halo's dedicated fans want most.

You've assumed that HaloGAF is comprised of Halo's most dedicated fans. That's kind of arrogant. It's also arrogant to think whatever consensus people here might come to would amount to what's best for the game.

Korosenai

If that regeneration field works anything like the fucking regenerator from Halo 3, I think I'll just stay the hell away from any playlists with loadouts. Coming up against that thing was way worse than armor lock because not only were they invincible, they could shoot back.

And now they can just drop it down wherever and whenever they want since its an armor ability.

Ryaaan14

Banned
You've assumed that HaloGAF is comprised of Halo's most dedicated fans. That's kind of arrogant. It's also arrogant to think whatever consensus people here might come to would amount to what's best for the game.

Was kind of thinking the same. :_\ Hell, I don't even agree with a lot of what HaloGAF wants/likes.

Top Bottom