• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT4| Trust's a Tough Thing to Come by These Days

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Here are the new rules:

1. What you just said is slurping
2. Kyle and Overdoz1z are in charge while Ghaleon is gone.
3. They are the majority AND the tastemakers and also the Freshmakers
4. Barns are the new Basement
5. Cinematic framerates

Great, now I want a cherry slurpee.

Edit: It would be nice of this thread would get away from eating itself for a while. The internal fighting is beginning to become a bit much.

Here are the new rules:

5. Cinematic framerates

And you said it was going to be a long week.

Oh oh...

homer-cereal-epic-fail_3125.jpg

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Here are the new rules:

5. Cinematic framerates

Frank, be honest, was that your barn?

What is this? You could not be more wrong. Why is everyone in here so incapable of being critical? Every change that 343 makes is just accepted by GAF rather than being thought over. Change can be good or bad. Just because you like the people that make the games does not mean you should blindly follow their products. Personally, if I were making this game I would rather have the community be critical that way I would end up producing the greatest product I possibly could.

In addition everyone here needs to learn to raise their expectations. I can't believe that people are hoping to get 9 maps. Hope to get 20 maps. 343 is a huge studio, if they can put this much time into perks, crazy weapon spawns, etc then they can definitely produce more maps. Learn to expect more, to want more.
So I should hope that I'll get 20 good maps instead of 9? Even when it sounds more unrealistic.

I only want 10-15 good maps. Or at least better than Swordbase, Zealot and the Forge World maps.

I've decided to adopt an Expect More™ approach. So I'm expecting Halo 4 to ship with 21 multiplayer maps (which, with the already announced 9 DLC maps, will bring the total to 30), to run at a solid 120 frames per second, and to come with a RAM upgrade that plugs into the USB port along with marketplace codes to download more RAM.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
So I should hope that I'll get 20 good maps instead of 9? Even when it sounds more unrealistic.

I only want 10-15 good maps. Or at least better than Swordbase, Zealot and the Forge World maps.

No, you should keep moving the goalposts so your rage state stays steady.

I've decided to adopt an Expect More™ approach. So I'm expecting Halo 4 to ship with 21 multiplayer maps (which, with the already announced 9 DLC maps, will bring the total to 30), to run at a solid 120 frames per second, and to come with a RAM upgrade that plugs into the USB port along with marketplace codes to download more RAM.

Weak.

Expect more, want more.

No, you should keep moving the goalposts so your rage state stays steady.

Pretty funny, should have seen Hyper rage yesterday! :p

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I think it's reasonable to expect 10-15 maps at launch (including the spartan ops maps in that count) and locked 30fps. That would be excellent IMO. You only need 10 real maps to launch with if they are quality maps. Hell, even 1 or two maps can be sufficient to have fun for extended periods if the map is a great one.

For me Halo 4 will be great so long as it's fun, balanced (no game breaking combinations or game stalling mechanics), the sound is amped up (I can hear spartans moving), and it makes playing with my friends as simple as hitting "join." Drop in/drop out was already confirmed so one of my biggest "wishes" was already granted.

If Halo 4 can give me that, I'll play the shit out of it and sell the shit out of it to my friends who gave up after Reach.

Bitching vs not bitching is the new AR vs BR.

I'll save posting anymore of my opinions on halo4 till after E3 unless there's a major leak but tbh as a skeptical follower I think criticism is healthy, if your super excited for this style of game which some people here are then of course bitching will seem annoying but keeping a balanced outlook involves looking out for the good and bad, not that we can do anything about it either way I admit.

Welcome back Dr fu

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I know you're kidding, but OBVIOUSLY that thing had nothing to do with us. Was it genius or madness or something more ridiculous? Only history will tell, but it was NOT viral anything.

Oh, we knew for the most part. Unless you're just saying that and the Halo 4 reveal at MS' E3 conference will take place in a barn built on the stage.

I know you're kidding, but OBVIOUSLY that thing had nothing to do with us. Was it genius or madness or something more ridiculous? Only history will tell, but it was NOT viral anything.

If you have a company retreat or anything you all should definitely spend it at a farm.

Whaaaat? Next you're going to tell us the Public Beta won't be announced and released during E3 next week.

What a fascinating viewpoint.

At least you admit to your trolling.

Not completely trolling. I believe everything I am saying. I just state things in a way that causes controversy. It is a mixture of truth, cyncacism, and sarcasm. I realize that I am part of a vocal minority here.

Overdoziz

Banned
Oh, I'm skeptical about the changes; I just don't post pictures of derailed trains and the Hindenburg in relation to how I feel about said changes.

You can be skeptical and critical without posting 'RIP HALO'. Also, Kyle and Over reasonable? I think the definition of 'reasonable' has been lost somewhere in that sentence.
The Halo I fell in love with has died. It got shot in the leg with Reach and Halo 4 seems to finish it off. The Halo in which the outcome of matches is only influenced by what happens during those matches is gone. Now you will have firefights be decided by things people did in a menu before the match even started. That isn't necessarily something I'm opposed to (I enjoy several games in which this is the case) but it's just not something I want Halo to turn into. The loadouts make whatever they do with the multiplayer practically irrelevant. They ruin what Halo is to me. Reach wasn't too bad in that regard in that it still limited the flexibility of them. Especially in the playlist which I usually play there's only a few loadouts to choose from. Halo 4 seems to go a lot further. You can choose your own main weapon, side-arm, AA and perks. That's a lot worse than anything what Halo Reach has ever done. So to me, yes, Halo is dead.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
For what?

The influence you have here. You don't cause controversy, you cause annoyance.

The Halo I fell in love with has died. It got shot in the leg with Reach and Halo 4 seems to finish it off. The Halo in which the outcome of matches is only influenced by what happens during those matches is gone. Now you will have firefights be decided by things people did in a menu before the match even started. That isn't necessarily something I'm opposed to (I enjoy several games in which this is the case) but it's just not something I want Halo to turn into. The loadouts make whatever they do with the multiplayer practically irrelevant. They ruin what Halo is to me. Reach wasn't too bad in that regard in that it still limited the flexibility of them. Especially in the playlist which I usually play there's only a few loadouts to choose from. Halo 4 seems to go a lot further. You can choose your own main weapon, side-arm, AA and perks. That's a lot worse than anything what Halo Reach has ever done. So to me, yes, Halo is dead.

Give it time bruh, you might like it. ;)

I agree though, what we have seen is a bit "unsettling" but it's still going to be worth a look, especially if they have managed to balance how it all works or even give everyone what they want (playlists). Time will tell.

daedalius

I imagine with custom games you can make Halo 4 closer to Halo 2 than you could with any of the other games.

Also, I'm sure there will be a playlist where there are no AA's, and perhaps no weapon loadouts with BR starts.

But I suppose these pronouncements cannot be made until the game is released, or playlists are revealed.

Not completely trolling. I believe everything I am saying. I just state things in a way that causes controversy. It is a mixture of truth, cyncacism, and sarcasm. I realize that I am part of a vocal minority here.

So trolling. Got it.

lol sensible... /smh

I imagine with custom games you can make Halo 4 closer to Halo 2 than you could with any of the other games.

Also, I'm sure there will be a playlist where there are no AA's, and perhaps no weapon loadouts with BR starts.

But I suppose these pronouncements cannot be made until the game is released, or playlists are revealed.

I hear people saying this a lot, but I think most people who are against the changes Halo 4 is bringing don't want to be locked into playing custom games or have to play in only one playlist to get the Halo they like. They want to be able to enjoy the whole game.

I'm not saying I think that's how halo 4 is going to turn out, but I'd it does, as fun as it may be, I wish it was a different series of games. That kind of gameplay would be awesome, but not worth totally replacing classic halo over. Would be nice to have both games, To an extent I may get my wish If a classic mode is inbuilt but it would suck to know that what I consider classic halo will not be iterated on.

kylej

Banned
Halo 4 might be pretty good

/D slurping

I'd be more optimistic about Halo 4 if I believed it would have proper playlist management. If it really had Classic Halo playlists and COD-style playlists, it could be a lot of fun. I just have seen absolutely nothing out of 343 that has been any different from Bungie's terrible reign. If there's a proper map editor in the style of a 4 year old Ubisoft game, good settings for customs, and proper playlists, there may be hope yet.

As for the main core of Halo 4's multiplayer? There is absolutely 0.0% chance of Halo 4 being balanced. I would bet my life on it. Reach couldn't be balanced properly, and it has 1/10th the amount of variables in it that Halo 4 has. All I want is a balanced, competitive game where I get beat by skill rather than randomness, and all I've seen so far are regens, recoil, riot shields, shotgun spawns, killstreaks, etc, etc.

People have been saying the same thing since Halo 2. Usually, they wait until the game comes out.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I'd be more optimistic about Halo 4 if I believed it would have proper playlist management. If it really had Classic Halo playlists and COD-style playlists, it could be a lot of fun. I just have seen absolutely nothing out of 343 that has been any different from Bungie's terrible reign. If there's a proper map editor in the style of a 4 year old Ubisoft game, good settings for customs, and proper playlists, there may be hope yet.

As for the main core of Halo 4's multiplayer? There is absolutely 0.0% chance of Halo 4 being balanced. I would bet my life on it. Reach couldn't be balanced properly, and it has 1/10th the amount of variables in it that Halo 4 has. All I want is a balanced, competitive game where I get beat by skill rather than randomness, and all I've seen so far are regens, recoil, riot shields, shotgun spawns, killstreaks, etc, etc.

I get ya man, but the issue is what we "know" has no context. All we know is that all those are possible, we don't know how they will be implemented.

I agree that it's neigh impossible to balance all those variables, but I'm not going to assume it will be a broken mess until it IS a broken mess. I'm as "doubtful" as the next guy, but I'm not ready to crucify Frankie and take Ellis' beard as a trophy yet.

Possibly, still rather have a real Halo game instead though.

Understandable, unfortunately that may be in the past, just like other franchises (Rainbow 6/Ghost Recon).

Edit: With that I'm out for a while, time to go get bigger. ;)

kylej

Banned
People have been saying the same thing since Halo 2. Usually, they wait until the game comes out.

If you're offended by the discussion, you're free to bow out and go somewhere else. Believe it or not you can in fact discuss things before they are released. Ready Up Live might be more your style if you're looking for an alternative.

Myyke

Neo Member

I guess I'm the opposite really, Reach really felt like the first worthwhile "evolution" of Halo to me and I have enjoyed it and played it more than any previous Halo title (apart from perhaps Halo 2). Despite the changes, Reach still felt like "Halo" in its core gameplay experience to me, so I have similar expectations for Halo 4.

I think this level of customisation is something that players simply expect nowadays and I think a Halo title lacking such additions would be a bit of a dinosaur.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

You need to really swap that word for something else. A person can use a plasma pistol to defeat a rocket hog using skill. You don't just mean skill, you mean something else. You mean predictable role weapon encounters. Those encounters will happen, and in fact, they will be crucial, but they do not have the monopoly on the term skill.

Gazzawa

shane-mulan-i18.gif

feel

Kyle posted a picture of a train wreck with Halo 4 written on top of it. I'd say that's a little more than being skeptical
Halo 4 multiplayer gameplay as of now is a bunch of things introduced to Halo in Reach that most rational people hate, a bunch of COD things that range from awful to questionable, and a sprinkle here and there of the Halo gameplay people had been adoring for so many years. They haven't made the effort so far of showcasing any sort of gameplay evolution that is actually fresh and new, and not some awkward unbalanced feature lifted from a bad game that appeals to braindead masses. That picture nailed it.

edit-

I have zero faith that they will provide a proper home for the fans of the old gameplay like they sort of promised, that gameplay is non-existant in Reach outside of the uberhardcore MLG playlist which they don't control. Please noone try to pretend the Anniversary gametypes are anything like old Halo, which they killed the Classic playlist for (good job there, just when you introduce ZB and decent maps).

OverHeat

« generous god »

Go play quake 3 arena if u want all of this NOW.

Havok

I hear people saying this a lot, but I think most people who are against the changes Halo 4 is bringing don't want to be locked into playing custom games or have to play in only one playlist to get the Halo they like. They want to be able to enjoy the whole game.
This is true. You could make an insane Firefight variant on your own in Reach that fixes all the issues you have with the matchmaking variants, but if you have to actively seek people out and promote it and get a lobby together, all of the user-side customization amounts to nothing. Then you just play Arcadefight for the rest of the game's life because that's what the masses vote for.

Before or after DLC? 15 good maps pre-DLC is a super tall order, and 10 would be impressive these days. I hope that with them announcing the 3 packs with the LE that they have a drastically accelerated DLC plan. Quickly adding quality maps and increasing variety does more to keep me engaged in a multiplayer game than nearly anything else.

If you're offended by the discussion, you're free to bow out and go somewhere else. Believe it or not you can in fact discuss things before they are released. Ready Up Live might be more your style if you're looking for an alternative.
I'm not offended. Just tired of hearing the same thing for 8 years.

Overdoziz

Banned
I don't think anything in Halo has chanced how the game plays as much as loadouts have. Halo 1, 2 and 3 are pretty much the same in the basic setup. Put some people on a map, spawn them with X and Y weapons, go. Reach and especially Halo 4 are steering away from that.

Halo 4 multiplayer gameplay as of now is a bunch of things introduced to Halo in Reach that most rational people hate
This isn't discussion. It's trash. The rational people are laughing at you.

I don't think anything in Halo has chanced how the game plays as much as loadouts have. Halo 1, 2 and 3 are pretty much the same in the basic setup. Put some people on a map, spawn them with X and Y weapons, go. Reach and especially Halo 4 are steering away from that.

They all have significant changes to the gameplay that interfered with the original design. People have had qualms about the changes from game to game, and some leverage those qualms as a basis to dismiss the game and declare Halo dead. 8 years old.

Tawpgun

Oh, I'm skeptical about the changes; I just don't post pictures of derailed trains and the Hindenburg in relation to how I feel about said changes.

You can be skeptical and critical without posting 'RIP HALO'. Also, Kyle and Over reasonable? I think the definition of 'reasonable' has been lost somewhere in that sentence.

Just jokes bro.

It's a funny way of conveying their disappointment and skepticism about the changes.

Or at least I find it funny. It's a hell of a lot more entertaining then posting a big polite write up of the changes and your thoughts. We have plenty of that already.

kylej

Banned
You need to really swap that word for something else. A person can use a plasma pistol to defeat a rocket hog using skill. You don't just mean skill, you mean something else. You mean predictable role weapon encounters. Those encounters will happen, and in fact, they will be crucial, but they do not have the monopoly on the term skill.

Yeah that's probably the wrong term, but you get what I mean. COD is one of my favorite games, and not to make yet another Halo 4 = COD joke, but if matchmaking was set up in a way where you really do have the Loadout style Halo, and another section where you have Classic style Halo, it could be pretty amazing. I'm sure you understand why I'm so pessimistic based on pre-release footage and current matchmaking control though. Randomness is specifically what I go to Halo to avoid, while proper matchmaking control is something I've been pining for for years now. I have very little faith at this point, but I don't blame you because I believe you're probably the most experienced and knowledgeable "classic Halo" person at 343 and have pushed back at some suggested changes.

I'm not offended. Just tired of hearing the same thing for 8 years.

Then leave and stop crying about it already.

Top Bottom