• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT4| Trust's a Tough Thing to Come by These Days

daedalius

I don't think the criticism is vitriolic, I think it's pessimistic, which was always going to be the case given the franchise's trajectory over the last 3 years.

Nobodies asking for exhaustive reasoning behind every single change, but when an explanation can't be given for the inclusion of armour abilities, especially given how much of a train wreck they were in Reach, then questions will be asked.

Here, let me give you an example.

343 dev: Hey guys, just thought we'd let you know we are bringing back armor abilities; however this time we are going to great lengths to make sure they are well balanced and tuned within the sandbox for specific gameplay styles, and of course we won't have any showstoppers like armor-lock included.

Halogaf:
DOOOOOOOOOM RIP HALO TRAINWRECK.GIF HINDENBURG.JPG

343 dev: Wow, that was some substantive discussion; I certainly am glad I posted here.

The doomsayers and hyperbolegaf would drown out any sort of substantive discussion that could be had (gee kind of what happens now) with a dev; hell it drowns out any sort of discussion with Frank, and he is a gaf veteran.

That is what happens unless a forum is strictly moderated to only allow substantive/thoughtful discussion, and as we well know, halogaf is certainly not that place.

Have you read the Blizzard Design Update they posted yesterday? You mentioned them as an example of not interacting with their community, but I think the opposite is true. They go into more detail about the reasoning behind their patch changes than 99% of BWUs or Bulletins have, and it's incredibly refreshing to see that in this industry that thinks they need to hide Alien Laser Gun 22 for the PR blitz.

I see blog posts as different from interacting directly with the forum community, and I would love if 343 did this. Maybe they will, but probably not while Halo 4 is still in development. Once the game is out, this is what I'd like to see from the bulletin; for example.

However, as you can see, the threads that ghostcrawler or the devs decide to post in, are overrun with trolls. The blog insulates them from the worst of the vitriol that comes out in the threads, as has been professed by the devs on WoW in the past. This is why they went the blog route instead of direct forum interaction.

kylej

Banned
The reality in this thread is that a subset of MP players are the most concerned. Specifically those that engage in, or dally around the competitive gameplay scene. There are basically zero posts in here about campaign, physics, weapons (as content), vehicles, levels, AI, graphics, audio, etc etc.

How could there be posts about the campaign, or physics, or weapons as content, or vehicles, or levels, or AI, when we've seen about 15 seconds of multiplayer footage and a blurry Halo 4 multiplayer match played off a VHS tape in a barn?

You're a joke.
Perhaps. I find it funny that but a few months ago I was bitterly trashing 343 for fucking things up in Reach and you were in the BELI343 camp. Their playlist management has improved, they resolved the glitches they introduced, and the movement and gunplay in Halo 4 look good from what I've seen.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
How could there be posts about the campaign, or physics, or weapons as content, or vehicles, or levels, or AI, when we've seen about 15 seconds of multiplayer footage and a blurry Halo 4 multiplayer match played off a VHS tape in a barn?

Why do you hate livestock habitat?

I can start.

How old is the build that is being tested out in the wild right now?

Is the loadout screen that was leaked unique for the differenct portions of the game? Like MP, SpOps, Campaign, etc.

Blinding

I generally wait until the company officially announces changes before I ever expect explanations on said changes.

Which is something I think is silly in the game industry. I understand not commentating on rumors and speculation, but at this point it's not (as in randomized weapon spawns, instant respawn, loadouts that appear to be in the same vein as CoD, etc; not the new info from the leaks.) GI covered most of the changes that have been talked about for weeks now (which I guess doesn't count as them being officially announced for some reason,) and the only bit of detailing that I've personally seen was Frankie stepping in and clarifying some of their wording mistakes.

I see blog posts as different from interacting directly with the forum community, and I would love if 343 did this. Maybe they will, but probably not while Halo 4 is still in development. Once the game is out, this is what I'd like to see from the bulletin; for example.

This is what I was talking about, not direct explanations being posted on GAF by those who are building said changes. I'm confused by your jump to the conclusion that I meant otherwise.

Frankie, am I crazy or did you say at one point there will be more new sandbox items than returning items? Cause the thought of that has me excited.

That is reasonable. I know what you are saying about customization making it more like COD. I am drawing comparisons based on the fact that in Halo everyone spawns on equal ground and map control and grabbing power weapons are what make you a better player than others. In COD with perks you spawn differently than the other players. Nobody is the same. In the Halo 4 that seems to be the case as well.

I do get that, but once again it seems the majority of the weapons we can start with will be the usual class of starting weapons, not power weapons. And since there will be base loadouts with variety before people unlock stuff I believe it will remain balanced. While there are some definite similarities there are some large differences that really will make the game feel different and more Halo like. Spawning with a few more grenades than another player isn't a huge issue, you never know how many grenades a guy has anyways. Same with ammo. Im not too worried, I think things should work pretty well.

Not only could you do that in Reach and H3 (customs, obviously), but it is and was ALWAYS one of the easiest combos to come by manually. I can't think of a map where I had to run more than a few yards to get it, or even competed with someone to get it.

And you won't be able to do that in every playlist/mode.

Map based pick ups are a little different than every guy spawning with the weapon and custom games really don't count when talking MM loadouts, but Im not gonna jump to conclusions. Ill wait and see, though that is one of the things I actually am nervous about. And I know for a fact I am not a huge fan of none power weapon map based weapons not remaining in a small extent, but it isn't the end of the world.

What I am curious about though is what will happen if you have a custom loadout with a weapon/AA/'Perk' banned from a certain playlist.

Striker

And you won't be able to do that in every playlist/mode.
If the Plasma Pistol still utilizes the EMP effect, it would be an awfully bad choice for BTB and vehicle oriented maps. What playlists its going to be deployed has me deply curious - the primary slayer, objective, free for all? Rather it's in none at all, but what'cha gonna do.

feel

See.. when you write things like this, I have to question your ability to think critically. You're not saying "this is how I feel" - you're saying "I believe this is how MOST people feel". That's absurd.

Reach continues to be in the top 6 most played games, more than 18 months after its release. Halo 3's still in the top 20, almost 5 YEARS after its release. (You didn't like either one.)

It's pretty clear that "most people" feel differently than you do.
These kind of numbers do nothing for me, it's the current Halo game, Halo fans will play it almost no matter what even if just for the social aspect, and I really liked Halo 3 despite some of its flaws, it was more or less the Halo of old.

About the other point, I have to admit I only read GAF and Waypoint forums, so I should've said "most people in those places according to what I've personally read".

Perhaps. I find it funny that but a few months ago I was bitterly trashing 343 for fucking things up in Reach and you were in the BELI343 camp. Their playlist management has improved, they resolved the glitches they introduced, and the movement and gunplay in Halo 4 look good from what I've seen.
Still BELI343, in campaign/SPartanOps. They will do great in multiplayer, and Frankie's confidence shows that, but it just doesn't seem like a game for me or the fans of a bunch of balance ideologies that made Halo mp click underneath (like equal starts for everyone in a match or being able to anticipate most of the enemy's moves in a fight), and that depresses me.

Overdoziz

Banned
I was in the beli343 camp until the GI info dropped. Twas a sad day.

Spawnling

Wtf noob combo hasn't existed since Halo 2
jump-sniped-halo-2-o.gif

Dat Jumpsnipe

I am pleased it is a Bank Holiday in the UK when E3 rolls in. I will be set up with pals, ready to watch the Halo 4 goodness.

Am I concerned that the multiplayer may not be the return to form that it once was? Yes.

However, I don't want to play Halo 2, or 3 or Reach again when I play Halo 4. I want Halo 4 to be THE game to own again. I want playlists full to the brim of people enjoying a great game.

And if its a well designed fun game, which according to the devs it will be, then brilliant. I can't wait to spend the next few years with it. If it's not my cup of tea, then nevermind. There are other games I enjoy.

But I have a feeling it's going to blow all of us away. I see people bitching about stuff that might play fantastically and it confuses me. Sure it might not play like Halo CE, or any other iteration of the game, but it doesn't mean it'll be bad.

I look forward to seeing the game in action.

kylej

Banned

343 dev: Hey guys, just thought we'd let you know we are bringing back armor abilities; however this time we are going to great lengths to make sure they are well balanced and tuned within the sandbox for specific gameplay styles, and of course we won't have any showstoppers like armor-lock included.

Halogaf:
DOOOOOOOOOM RIP HALO TRAINWRECK.GIF HINDENBURG.JPG

343 dev: Wow, that was some substantive discussion; I certainly am glad I posted here.

The doomsayers and hyperbolegaf would drown out any sort of substantive discussion that could be had (gee kind of what happens now) with a dev; hell it drowns out any sort of discussion with Frank, and he is a gaf veteran.

That is what happens unless a forum is strictly moderated to only allow substantive/thoughtful discussion, and as we well know, halogaf is certainly not that place.

We're all still waiting for you to actually post something about Halo 4. Or maybe just Reach. Instead of, you know, meta commentary about the thread.

Havok

However, as you can see, the threads that ghostcrawler or the devs decide to post in, are overrun with trolls. The blog insulates them from the worst of the vitriol that comes out in the threads, as has been professed by the devs on WoW in the past. This is why they went the blog route instead of direct forum interaction in the past.
But that's the sticking point, isn't it? Information being disseminated in a very frank and open manner like that would ostensibly curtail much of the vitriol here that comes from the speculative nature of the discussions that arises from us barely knowing anything about the game. Public forums will always be filled with trash, in much the same way as Blizzard and Bungie's forums can be. GAF is a more closed garden than that with approvals, heavy moderation outside this community, and email restrictions, and I think eliminating the base ignorance is a solution instead of bickering for five pages like we've seen today.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think the current industry standard of being very tight lipped about reasoning behind stuff or very basic issues for the sake of a hype machine is very healthy.

I just want to know where I stand in a battle. I love being able to see what my opponent has and whether I should back out of the fight. The clouding of battlefield knowledge began with equipment in Halo 3 and grew darker with the addition of armor abilities in Reach.

I'm just afraid the lack of situational knowledge and confidence grows darker still with modifications, assuming (and this is a very bold assumption) that there won't be a visible indicator of these modifications on the battlefield.

Trey

Why is everyone in here so incapable of being critical? Every change that 343 makes is just accepted by GAF rather than being thought over. Change can be good or bad. Just because you like the people that make the games does not mean you should blindly follow their products.

Also, by everyone I mean the majority. Kyle and Over are the most sensible. Keep in mind I am one of the more casual players here and I still want to see more competitive play.

I was saying that Kyle and Over were being more reasonable than others because they are skeptical of the changes where as the rest of GAF isn't.

While I agree with you completely, you're pissing in the wind.

By the time E3 comes around we will be validated...but most people will say we were wrong.

Halo 4 multiplayer gameplay as of now is a bunch of things introduced to Halo in Reach that most rational people hate, a bunch of COD things that range from awful to questionable, and a sprinkle here and there of the Halo gameplay people had been adoring for so many years.

lol

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
One thing quick, I think the competitive community is more split and diversified than what it seems.

What I am curious about though is what will happen if you have a custom loadout with a weapon/AA/'Perk' banned from a certain playlist.
My guess is you'll be able to build your loadouts around existing playlists, you'll have your Team Slayer and BTB loadouts... some playlists will allow for more crazy configurations and other playlists won't give you the chance to build your own, see "classic" playlists.

Louis Wu

I just want to know where I stand in a battle. I love being able to see what my opponent has and whether I should back out of the fight. The clouding of battlefield knowledge began with equipment and grew darker with the addition of armor abilities in Reach.
See, for me, this complaint is really only relevant for the first encounter with the enemy in a match. That encounter RARELY decides the winner of the match.

Yes, there are people who cycle through Armor Abillities during a match - but the VAST MAJORITY of players stick with the one they picked at the beginning (or the one they switched to after seeing what the majority of the opposing team was using).

And the idea of backing out of a fight because of the AA being used by the guy on the other team... that seems silly. You almost never have that choice.

I don't know - I guess I'm just saying that while I lose plenty of games, I can almost NEVER blame those losses on the 'clouding of battlefield knowledge'. (I get fooled by Holograms, every once in a while - but I'd say that I'm fooled FAR more often by someone camping where I wasn't expecting them - something that relies on NOTHING added to the game by any sequel.)

daedalius

We're all still waiting for you to actually post something about Halo 4. Or maybe just Reach. Instead of, you know, meta commentary about the thread.

I'll make sure to post something when anything new comes down the road (like I usually do).

There has been little to get excited about lately, but with e3 coming soon enough, I hope we will have other things to discuss than the 'mulitplayer trainwreck'.

But that's the sticking point, isn't it? Information being disseminated in a very frank and open manner like that would ostensibly curtail much of the vitriol here that comes from the speculative nature of the discussions that arises from us barely knowing anything about the game. Public forums will always be filled with trash, in much the same way as Blizzard and Bungie's forums can be. GAF is a more closed garden than that with approvals, heavy moderation outside this community, and email restrictions, and I think eliminating the base ignorance is a solution instead of bickering for five pages like we've seen today.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think the current industry standard of being very tight lipped about reasoning behind stuff or very basic issues for the sake of a hype machine is very healthy.

Yes, I agree. Pulling the devs away to make blog posts may not be the best use of time when they are nearing their deadlines, regardless of how much we'd like it. Like I said, I hope to see something like this after launch, but I don't really expect it beforehand.

Tawpgun

*cough* Hardlight Shield/Regen Barrier *cough*

Not sure exactly how these work yet, could be not that bad. But I'm basing it off Riot Shields from CoD and Regen from Halo 3.

Regen on Demand is particularly frightening.

What exactly are you expecting?

Do you want the designers to make a Gaf tag and tell us why they are doing what they are doing? so they can then be attacked constantly by the same voices that are constantly spewing vitriol in here already? What makes you think they want to engage with this community?

Bit lttp with the response considering someone posted something similar.

But an explanation for changes in Weekly Bulletins would do rather nicely. I'm not talking about stuff they can't talk about yet (the leaks are leaks, after all) but even in Reach, they woudn't explain things like getting rid of Squad Slayer (Or at least I can't remember a reason), or why it took so long to get Drop Shields out of objective, or other playlist issues.

jump-sniped-halo-2-o.gif

343, please include that first person shield charging up effect in Halo 4 please.

I just want to know where I stand in a battle. I love being able to see what my opponent has and whether I should back out of the fight. The clouding of battlefield knowledge began with equipment in Halo 3 and grew darker with the addition of armor abilities in Reach

But you couldn't see your opponents secondary in Halo:CE or Halo 2.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Hopefully some of the conspiracy nuts will be satisfied with Frankie's outright denail about 343 being behind the VHS leak.

Still can't believe some folks think it's viral.

daedalius

Bit lttp with the response considering someone posted something similar.

But an explanation for changes in Weekly Bulletins would do rather nicely. I'm not talking about stuff they can't talk about yet (the leaks are leaks, after all) but even in Reach, they woudn't explain things like getting rid of Squad Slayer (Or at least I can't remember a reason), or why it took so long to get Drop Shields out of objective, or other playlist issues.

I certainly wouldn't mind the weekly bulletin turning into a devblog of sorts, or just a section to explain certain design decisions. But like I said before, I don't really expect to see this before release, but after would be nice.

As for how long it took for some things to be removed(or why some things were removed...); I have no idea. A bit of explanation about those things would be nice.

Top Bottom