• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT4| Trust's a Tough Thing to Come by These Days

feel

Hopefully some of the conspiracy nuts will be satisfied with Frankie's outright denail about 343 being behind the VHS leak.

Still can't believe some folks think it's viral.
That's what he wants you to think, also the racism in the video is to further throw off people.
lol

Question for PC-HaloGAF, what looks better or what is better to show what a PC can do, Crysis 1 or Crysis 2? They're both on Steam now, and I have no interest on actually playing through them (already did on console) or buying both.

Feel free to recommend other cool stuff to show off what a PC can display visually (preferably free demos)

Didn't we hear about that Regeneration thing already, and it was just that it made your shields start recharging earlier/faster? Not that it kept you alive ala Halo 3's regen?

Tawpgun

See, for me, this complaint is really only relevant for the first encounter with the enemy in a match. That encounter RARELY decides the winner of the match.

Yes, there are people who cycle through Armor Abillities during a match - but the VAST MAJORITY of players stick with the one they picked at the beginning (or the one they switched to after seeing what the majority of the opposing team was using).

And the idea of backing out of a fight because of the AA being used by the guy on the other team... that seems silly. You almost never have that choice.

I don't know - I guess I'm just saying that while I lose plenty of games, I can almost NEVER blame those losses on the 'clouding of battlefield knowledge'. (I get fooled by Holograms, every once in a while - but I'd say that I'm fooled FAR more often by someone camping where I wasn't expecting them - something that relies on NOTHING added to the game by any sequel.)

Because the match is decided by 50 kills (or an objective) if a team is clearly better they will always win.

But we're talking individual encounters here. How many times have you engages someone only to have them drop a power drain on you in Halo 3. Or a Regen. To put it more in perspective, how many times have you charged someone with a shotgun because you couldn't tell what weapon he was holding. (I've done this a lot) Its the same principle.

Remember trying to close the distance on someone, only to have them Armor Lock EMP you? It's that kind of trash.

stephen08

People seem to like to view the games in the series as being wholly better or worse than previous installments. This becomes problematic when you take in to account that older products are going to receive a boost from nostalgia and newer ones have to straddle the gap of needing to evolve the franchise but not betray what it is.

I remember when I really started posting on forums it was about when Halo 2 came out and people tore that game apart. Now people seem to love it and proclaim it as the series' pinnacle in multiplayer space.

The reality is that each game has good aspects as well as bad and when making a new entry in the franchise the process is going to be add what worked before, keep out what didn't, and innovate within the franchise.

I am still extremely skeptical of 343i and Halo 4 but there is so much we just don't know yet.

Also if it turns out like Reach the same people complaining will be the ones playing it regularly 1.5 years after launch complaining about it the whole way through. So the question then is, how bad can the game be when it is the best option?

Blinding

Yea I was just being broad. I have very different opinions with the competitive crowd even here in GAF, let alone the entire competitive community.

I'm pretty sure the competitive community is split because they don't agree on what should be done in regards to MLG.

The reality in this thread is that a subset of MP players are the most concerned. Specifically those that engage in, or dally around the competitive gameplay scene. There are basically zero posts in here about campaign, physics, weapons (as content), vehicles, levels, AI, graphics, audio, etc etc.

Those people will have something fairly substantial to think about, consider, and opine about in less than a couple of weeks.

The largely silent majority will also have lots to think about.

To be fair we are seeing and hearing about MP stuff not campaign stuff, so of course we are going to discuss (if you can call it discussion) the stuff we are seeing.

Here, let me give you an example.

343 dev: Hey guys, just thought we'd let you know we are bringing back armor abilities; however this time we are going to great lengths to make sure they are well balanced and tuned within the sandbox for specific gameplay styles, and of course we won't have any showstoppers like armor-lock included.

Halogaf:
DOOOOOOOOOM RIP HALO TRAINWRECK.GIF HINDENBURG.JPG

343 dev: Wow, that was some substantive discussion; I certainly am glad I posted here.
On behalf of those who you are addressing:
We don't just say "DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM. RIP HALO." and when we do it is usually a cynical and sarcastic reply. Instead we wonder why in the world they would bring back something that split the community, broke map design, and completely departed from the Halo formula (golden tripod). Halo doesn't need armor abilities. It adds nothing but more randomness to the to the established formula and instead changes it. You can out run grenades, run away from a fight, run a melee, jetpack to new heights, see that shotgun guy through the wall, you can hide and be invisible. That isn't halo. Our complaints are rational. We want a very specific style of play. We want classic Halo. We are not just yelling DOOOOOOM. And if none of these arguments convince you: Halo was more popular without AA's (Halo, Halo 2, Halo 3). Popularity waned with the introduction of AA's. If you are trying to appeal to a bigger audience then why would you bring back something that sent people away?

Hopefully some of the conspiracy nuts will be satisfied with Frankie's outright denail about 343 being behind the VHS leak.

If you dont think its viral your the real nut. I think its almost certainly Viral, and it can only mean one thing, A VHS player will be required to use Halo 4 theatre mode. Game seems worse and worse every time I hear more about it FFS.

daedalius

Because the match is decided by 50 kills (or an objective) if a team is clearly better they will always win.

But we're talking individual encounters here. How many times have you engages someone only to have them drop a power drain on you in Halo 3. Or a Regen. To put it more in perspective, how many times have you charged someone with a shotgun because you couldn't tell what weapon he was holding. (I've done this a lot) Its the same principle.

Remember trying to close the distance on someone, only to have them Armor Lock EMP you? It's that kind of trash.

In the past few times I've been playing Halo 3, I really haven't found them to be that big of a problem. When it happens it is annoying, but generally I haven't found it to be as exacerbated as you seem to be implying.

That isn't to say stuff like the regenerator isn't totally broken, because it is.

We don't just say "DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM. RIP HALO." and when we do it is usually a cynical and sarcastic reply. Instead we wonder why in the world they would bring back something that split the community, broke map design, and completely departed from the Halo formula (golden tripod). Halo doesn't need armor abilities. It adds nothing but more randomness to the to the established formula and instead changes it. You can out run grenades, run away from a fight, run a melee, jetpack to new heights, see that shotgun guy through the wall, you can hide and be invisible. That isn't halo. Our complaints are rational. We want a very specific style of play. We want classic Halo. We are not just yelling DOOOOOOM. And if none of these arguments convince you: Halo was more popular without AA's (Halo, Halo 2, Halo 3). Popularity waned with the introduction of AA's. If you are trying to appeal to a bigger audience then why would you bring back something that sent people away?

You've basically confirmed the point I was trying to make.

Even if they provide their reasoning of why they want to include it, you don't want to hear it, regardless of how they've come to that conclusion. You think it is broken, there is no way for it to be fixed or balanced, and that is that.

There is no reason to engage with you on a subject such as this.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Also if it turns out like Reach the same people complaining will be the ones playing it regularly 1.5 years after launch complaining about it the whole way through. So the question then is, how bad can the game be when it is the best option?

This is not a way to judge a game. I know a lot of folks that have continued to play Reach because it's still Halo, and the current title, despite it's flaws. They just play infrequently.

Even the worst Halo game is still better than 99% of the games out there right now but it doesn't mean we shouldn't demand the games be the best they can be.

If you dont think its viral your the real nut. I think its almost certainly Viral, and it can only mean one thing, A VHS player will be required to use Halo 4 theatre mode. Game seems worse and worse every time I hear more about it FFS.

I heard there'll be a Beta
max version!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
The reality in this thread is that a subset of MP players are the most concerned. Specifically those that engage in, or dally around the competitive gameplay scene. There are basically zero posts in here about campaign, physics, weapons (as content), vehicles, levels, AI, graphics, audio, etc etc.

Those people will have something fairly substantial to think about, consider, and opine about in less than a couple of weeks.

The largely silent majority will also have lots to think about.

Shogun am cry.

Aside from drop in drop out (which has been granted to me) improvement in audio is my next biggest "hope."

It also seems this thread got MORE hostile in the hour+ in which I've been gone. I think everyone needs to take a lunch break and realize we all love Halo, and we mostly all like eachother, the hype is making us fight.

Tawpgun

Because (hopefully) it is still Halo and its better than playing an alternative. It's this whole notion of "We complain because we care" People see Halo taking cues from Call of Duty, a game they don't like. So they complain about it because they don't want to see anyone messing up their favorite game.

Yeah, a lot of it is hyperbole. Some more joke than others, which some people can't decipher. But I'd also argue there are people on the other side of the spectrum just as bad.

"Stop being so negative, you don't know for sure how this thing will work so you can't speculate on it, etc."

No one here knows how this will all come together for sure. But, with the clues we have so far, some assumptions can be drawn, whether they be right or wrong.

Striker

Didn't we hear about that Regeneration thing already, and it was just that it made your shields start recharging earlier/faster? Not that it kept you alive ala Halo 3's regen?
That could be "Shielding" from the specializations/mod group, whereas the Regen FIELD is something completely different. It has to completely and drastically different from the Halo 3 version in order to not be awfully bad for gameplay. It hurt the game just as much as something Armor Lock did. Stalls the pace, keeps players alive when they shouldn't be, etc.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Dang it guys!
Some people aren't liking the changes that are coming in Halo 4. That's fine, they are allowed to post anything they want.

Some people are liking the changes that are coming in Halo 4. That's fine, they are allowed to post anything they want.

Nearly 200 straight posts of infighting over what, opinions of all things?

Blueblur1

but e3 is less then a week away

hmmm

I think that means 343i won't be revealing everything until well after E3.

jump-sniped-halo-2-o.gif

343, please include that first person shield charging up effect in Halo 4 please.

Shit, I forgot about that. Was that also in Halo 3?

Trey

Dang it guys!
Some people aren't liking the changes that are coming in Halo 4. That's fine, they are allowed to post anything they want.

Some people are liking the changes that are coming in Halo 4. That's fine, they are allowed to post anything they want.

Nearly 200 straight posts of infighting over what, opinions of all things?

I think we get this, and not just because you're the fourth person to point it out!

But people are wrong* on the internet goddammit.

*not really

stephen08

This is not a way to judge a game. I know a lot of folks that have continued to play Reach because it's still Halo, and the current title, despite it's flaws. They just play infrequently.

Even the worst Halo game is still better than 99% of the games out there right now but it doesn't mean we shouldn't demand the games be the best they can be.

I'm not even talking about other games necessarily. If you want to play Halo online competitively you could play Halo CE and 2 on PC, 3 and Reach on 360. That is all the Halo games yet far and away the most popular both locally and globally is Reach. If Reach was half as bad as some people claimed they would seek out these other options but they don't because Reach is the best option. It could be for a variety of reasons but day after day people choose Reach over these other games.

If Halo 4 comes out and I completely hate it I will happily play Reach over it. I have friends who did that with 3 when Reach wasn't what they wanted.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I think we get this, and not just because you're the fourth person to point it out!

But people are wrong* on the internet goddammit.

*not really

Lol, I know people have pointed it out. It's still incredibly weak for all this nonsense to happen just because someone doesn't respect someone else's opinion.

Homeboyd

Well dude, I mean, come on.. of course that's what he would say.

We all know Frankie to be a dirty liar, a cheat, and a thief.

;P

Tawpgun

In the past few times I've been playing Halo 3, I really haven't found them to be that big of a problem. When it happens it is annoying, but generally I haven't found it to be as exacerbated as you seem to be implying.

That isn't to say stuff like the regenerator isn't totally broken, because it is.

I never implied it was OH GOD THAT GUY PULLED A POWERDRAIN ON ME GAME IS BROKEN SELLING IT FUCK

But like you said, its annoying and they should be trying to fix that. Instead, they're introducing more variables that we probably (due to history from previous titles) won't be able to make out until they use them.

Trey

Lol, I know people have pointed it out. It's still incredibly weak for all this nonsense to happen just because someone doesn't respect someone else's opinion.

What do you think politics are for? heh

Only thing incorrect about any of this is a certain faction claiming they hold exclusive quarter on the only sensible and rational position. Laughable, that. I choose to think they don't actually believe quite as much.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I'm skeptical about the changes (I've said some incredibly hyperbolic statements in the past that I regret), but I'm more than willing to give it a try. I enjoy Battlefield quite a bit, and its gameplay involves numerous unlocks and upgrades. Maybe shaking things up a bit could be good.

Or not.

Still, buying it day one.

I'm not even talking about other games necessarily. If you want to play Halo online competitively you could play Halo CE and 2 on PC, 3 and Reach on 360. That is all the Halo games yet far and away the most popular both locally and globally is Reach. If Reach was half as bad as some people claimed they would seek out these other options but they don't because Reach is the best option. It could be for a variety of reasons but day after day people choose Reach over these other games.

If Halo 4 comes out and I completely hate it I will happily play Reach over it. I have friends who did that with 3 when Reach wasn't what they wanted.

Come on man, there are pretty easy to spot reasons why Reach is the most populated Halo game out there at the moment. The better statistic to look at is Halo games populations 1.5 years after launch, Halo 3 was doing a lot better than Reach is at this point in its lifespan.

I mean I can only speak for myself and the small group of people I know who really play Halo, but except for HaloGaf, no one I knows still plays halo, some people play Halo 3 here and there, but ultimately most have given up on the franchise. Halo 3 is still a great game sure, and thats why people still infrequently play it, but considering the timespan, and the state the game has been left in, rather than move on to Reach, or play a gimped version of Halo 3, most people I know just dont bother anymore. Mostly probably because its now literally impossible to go in with a full team in the playlists they play most and get a game. Im kind of tempted to say im part of that statistic, except I still probably venture into Reach more than most I know do, I only end up playing a few games here and there though.

heckfu

Banned
I guess I'm just having a disconnect with all the arguments because I anticipate my adaptation level being so high that it doesn't matter what my opponent has, I'll still shoot my Blain Rain all over their faces.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I guess I'm just having a disconnect with all the arguments because I anticipate my adaptation level being so high that it doesn't matter what my opponent has, I'll still shoot my Blain Rain all over their faces.

Holy shit it's you!

Welcome back man

Tawpgun

I know a Beta is hard work and takes a dedicated team to support, monitor, and maintain.

I'm not blaming 343 for not having a beta because they knew that Halo 4 would produce backlash. That's not the reason they don't have one, they clearly need to focus on finishing Halo 4.

That being said, some form of public, or at least more widespread, not NDA'd form of beta would be an ideal testing ground for people unclear on information. Good way of either alleviating fears of confirming them, so we at least know what to expect.

Hopefully with comes with E3.

I remember when I really started posting on forums it was about when Halo 2 came out and people tore that game apart. Now people seem to love it and proclaim it as the series' pinnacle in multiplayer space.
Nostalgia or not the reality of things is that it was terrible when it launched, and it ushered in the now tradition of new mechanics for the sake of change that end up being bad in the long run: dual wielding.

Not really, by the time H1-3 were popular there weren't really any worthy competitors, it was when COD/BF/Gears and even others like FIFA, Skyrim and Minecraft when halo began to "decline" as you put it, Halo is not dying it's just the market which is expanding and COD took the reigns not because halo's popularity decrease but because it offered something new and exiting which kept and still keeps players coming back, this is because of the unlock and player investiment system and many others factors.

Abilities killed halo? nope.

Karl2177

Why do you hate livestock habitat?
Completely off topic, but I was certifying a fire panel at veterinary medicine field services at the university today and they were unloading swine from a trailer. The noises that they were making was ear breaking. If Sotaro needs some noises that make people scared and horrified, call me up.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I know a Beta is hard work and takes a dedicated team to support, monitor, and maintain.

I'm not blaming 343 for not having a beta because they knew that Halo 4 would produce backlash. That's not the reason they don't have one, they clearly need to focus on finishing Halo 4.

That being said, some form of public, or at least more widespread, not NDA'd form of beta would be an ideal testing ground for people unclear on information. Good way of either alleviating fears of confirming them, so we at least know what to expect.

Hopefully with comes with E3.

I completely agree. Out of all the Halos, this one needed it the most.
Then again, even if a beta was released and no one liked it, what could 343 even do? It'd be a little late, wouldn't it?

Ramirez

My D3 account was hacked (partially, just took all of my loot & left the password alone,lol), so I come in here and see it's business as usual. :p

Louis Wu

Come on man, there are pretty easy to spot reasons why Reach is the most populated Halo game out there at the moment. The better statistic to look at is Halo games populations 1.5 years after launch, Halo 3 was doing a lot better than Reach is at this point in its lifespan.
Halo 3 was competing with CoD4 and GTA4 at this point in its lifespan.

Reach is competing with MW3, Black Ops, Battlefield, and Minecraft, fergoshsakes.

You're making unreasonable assumptions about WHY Halo 3 had a bigger slice of the pie.

daedalius

My D3 account was hacked (partially, just took all of my loot & left the password alone,lol), so I come in here and see it's business as usual. :p

Happened to my wife... did you not have an authenticator?

I have no idea how these haxors are getting into peoples accounts; my wife never shared hers with anyone.

Risen

Yea I was just being broad. I have very different opinions with the competitive crowd even here in GAF, let alone the entire competitive community.

That's because most people know what they like or don't like based on what they get kills with or killed by - and have little idea of what or why something is competitively balanced.

Reach is competing with MW3, Black Ops, Battlefield, and Minecraft, fergoshsakes.

You're making unreasonable assumptions about WHY Halo 3 had a bigger slice of the pie.

I dont want to get into a pissing contest about this, but Halo 3 also had World at War and CoD 4 as competition, now I dont exactly follow trends over on CoD but personally I know that for me CoD fatigue has kicked in. MW2 was when the series had a HUGE marketing push, MW3 and Black Ops are riding that wave but are the population effects still as strong? I dont personally think so. GTA 4 was also a pretty damn huge game.

Besides im pretty sure Reach has been lagging behind Halo 3 in terms of population numbers (for the same time in its lifespan) since around March of last year, long before MW3 came out. That was based on Deep NNN's charts which I believe where taken from Bungie.net, and are so fairly accurate numbers. I know the in game counters arent so accurate. Im also basing that on what I remember the Bungie.net final stats round up showing, it seemed like, based on averages (not totals), despite having a significantly longer lifespan, where it competed against the same games Halo Reach competed against, (including Reach itself), the Halo 3 numbers where still higher.

Now im not making an argument that population numbers are the end all and be all, just refuting my point. I just think its more unfair to compare the Halo 3 population compared to the Halo Reach population, today, right now, which is what Stephen was doing. That would be making unreasonable assumptions about why Reach has the bigger slice of the pie, which is what I went on to discuss later in my post.

I dont want to get into a pissing contest about this, but Halo 3 also had World at War and CoD 4 as competition, now I dont exactly follow trends over on CoD but personally I know that for me CoD fatigue has kicked in. MW2 was when the series had a HUGE marketing push, MW3 and Black Ops are riding that wave but are the population effects still as strong? I dont personally think so.

GTA 4 was also a pretty damn huge game, besides im pretty sure Reach has been lagging behind Halo 3 in terms of population numbers (for the same time in its lifespan) since around March of last year, long before MW3 came out.
I'm pretty sure Black Ops and MW3 blew away the previous games in terms of sales, but I could be wrong.

Myyke

Neo Member

Was going to post this myself, I think Reach has been doing pretty good considering the amount of other games it is up against, compared to past Halo titles.

I dont want to get into a pissing contest about this, but Halo 3 also had World at War and CoD 4 as competition, now I dont exactly follow trends over on CoD but personally I know that for me CoD fatigue has kicked in. MW2 was when the series had a HUGE marketing push, MW3 and Black Ops are riding that wave but are the population effects still as strong? I dont personally think so. GTA 4 was also a pretty damn huge game.

As popular as WaW and Cod 4 were, they pale in comparison to Black Ops, MW2 and MW3 and Reach has had to compete with all three of these.

stephen08

I mean I can only speak for myself and the small group of people I know who really play Halo, but except for HaloGaf, no one I knows still plays halo, some people play Halo 3 here and there, but ultimately most have given up on the franchise. Halo 3 is still a great game sure, and thats why people still infrequently play it, but considering the timespan, and the state the game has been left in, rather than move on to Reach, or play a gimped version of Halo 3, most people I know just dont bother anymore. Mostly probably because its now literally impossible to go in with a full team in the playlists they play most and get a game. Im kind of tempted to say im part of that statistic, except I still probably venture into Reach more than most I know do, I only end up playing a few games here and there though.

If everyone who trashed Reach on here was being literal with what they said you would have no problem getting people together to play 3 instead. That's not the case though. Ultimately, Reach now is a better option than 3 now. How is that possible though if Reach is that much worse than 3? It's overblown.

Ramirez

Happened to my wife... did you not have an authenticator?

I have no idea how these haxors are getting into peoples accounts; my wife never shared hers with anyone.

Nah, didn't have one, gonna order one today though. I never got hacked on WoW in like 6-7 years, weird.

If everyone who trashed Reach on here was being literal with what they said you would have no problem getting people together to play 3 instead. That's not the case though. Ultimately, Reach now is a better option than 3 now. How is that possible though if Reach is that much worse than 3? It's overblown.

The netcode is a large factor in people not wanting to go back, it also has a lot to do with people just wanting to play the new thing, and not something they dumped 10K+ games on. I personally played it for the longest because there was no better option, I can say without doubt I won't be touching Halo again until 4. :p

Computron

I joined GAF to get some community playdates (H2 Vista night went alright I guess, how about this upcoming month guys?) and discuss Halo and Halo art.

But so far, everyone wants to fight and practically no one actually plays the game. I'm up for any Halo game, Reach or earlier games, Hyper Competitive or co-op, they are all fun.

Less fighting, more scifi awesomeness:

6eQUI.jpg

So Frankie, my Friend that I watched Alien with really wanted to see the sequels before Prometheus so I ended up watching Aliens with him and now I am wondering why you recommended against that?

The colonial marines, Sergeant Apone, Bishop, and my new favorite character Ripley, the self proclaimed "Rambolina" where all AWESOME.

Plus, now I get this whole entire page of Aliens References in the Halo series

(That's a pretty influential series!)

(The list goes on a lot longer BTW)

My suspicion that the sequel would be more action focused rather than horror was correct and was a lot better than I expected. I'm glad I watched the sequel.

I've been on a scifi watching spree lately, Moon, Hitchhikers Guide, The Halo Animes, Aliens, Tron. I'm going to go watch Total Recall now I think.

-----------------------------------

I got a question, for those of you who watched the Matrix Trilogy. Do you think the last 2 movies ruined the series for you as so many people say? I hear it's the polar opposite of Aliens, and they spoon feed you every detail, leaving nothing for the imagination.

So far I've only seen the first one. Wondering i'f I should go all the way.

TCKaos

Can I just throw in my two cents for a minute?

Halo has been, fundamentally, the same game for ten years mechanically speaking. You can point to various things such as dual wielding, vehicle boarding, removable turrets, introductions of new vehicles/gametypes, buttons on maps, zero-gravity sections, minor tweaks in base movement speed or jump height, but Halo has been essentially the same game with new maps and a new coat of paint for ten years.

You see, I think that Bungie finally saw that by the end of their Halo parentage that people weren't really getting excited for Halo beyond their extremely hardcore fans, and even they had/have a great deal of franchise fatigue.

Halo: Reach was an attempt to stop this repetition with the introduction of Armor Abilities. Were there some flaws in them? Absolutely. Was it change for the sake of change? Absolutely. Does that make it inherently bad? By no means.

Yeah, Armor Lock was weird. Yeah, you had to sacrifice mobility for specialization, but overall it was a pretty good idea. It certainly didn't kill Halo by any means - if anything it started the process of finding some kind of vaccine for the Franchise Zombie Halo has become. It gave players something new to use in multiplayer, new strategies to create, new experiences to have. It was fun. Remember the first time you decimated a Ghost using Armor Lock? The first time you snuck up on a guy using Active Camo? The first time you used the Jetpack to slow your fall off of the Spire so that you could help move the core up the hill? The first time you tricked a guy in to assassinating your Hologram? It was awesome, wasn't it?

All the while you were still tossing grenades, using melee, and landing headshots - and it was still effective. You were also using Armor Abilities, but all of the rest of the sandbox was still there and still exactly how you remembered it.

The loadouts in Halo 4 are the logical extension of that. For the first time you get to intimately customize your experience of the game. Sprint is inherent, you don't have to sacrifice mobility to specialize anymore. You are given more types of specializations. Your team can set up sentries on your flag, you can play medic (which, from my experience, wasn't tantamount to ascending to Mount Olympus to lay a beat down the way you guys describe it), you can help push the front lines forward in seemingly one-sided objective games using the Hardlight shield and more.

Yeah, now you have perks, and they serve the same purpose as Armor Abilities did in Reach and that perks served in Call of Duty. Want to spawn with two rifles? Firepower. More ammo? Resupply. Grenadier for more grenades. From what I can tell none of this seems to be killing the sandbox in any way, it's making it play differently. Giving players more strategies, more experiences, more fun.

OH NO, IT'S DIFFERENT. Yeah, but your golden tripod is still there. You've still got Halo in there. Suddenly you pull all of the good bits from Call of Duty and everyone starts to convulse and seize like you're in the middle of some kind of digital holocaust. It's not like the game is going to play like Call of Duty, it's going to play like Halo. That Halo you've had for ten years. The solid Halo gameplay philosophy is still there. You still have map control, vehicle combat, weapons with roles, strafing, jumping, and everything that you ever loved about Halo.

You know what makes Call of Duty play like shit? The terrible weapon selection, the horrible maps with no flow, the overpowered knives, throwing knives/hatchets, killstreaks, the tactical rails on tactical rails for all of the sights on those sights and your lasers. It isn't perks, it isn't the fact that you can upgrade those perks, it's the fact that at its base Modern Warfare was always a shitty campfest with a knife fetish.

Imagine taking all of the things that people like about Call of Duty -XP, customization, specialization- and then adding them to a good game. It would make a great game, wouldn't it?

This isn't an attack on anyone, I'm just saying: guys, it's not that bad. In fact, it isn't bad.

And those are my two cents.

I got a question, for those of you who watched the Matrix Trilogy. Do you think the last 2 movies ruined the series for you as so many people say? I hear it's the polar opposite of Aliens, and they spoon feed you every detail, leaving nothing for the imagination.

So far I've only seen the first one. Wondering i'f I should go all the way.

Ehhh, the action was sort of okay maybe. The writing was horrible, and the Wachowski brothers really didn't know what they were doing. They tried to make everything philosophical, but instead of actually using any sort of philosophy they chose to make over-complicated statements about nothing in particular to look smart. Confused Matthew has great reviews pointing all of this out, but they're spoileriffic.

I'm pretty sure Black Ops and MW3 blew away the previous games in terms of sales, but I could be wrong.

Again, this is going away from the main focus of what my post was, but Halo Reach's numbers where behind Halo 3's numbers since about March of last year (or something like that). Long before MW3 came out, but sure Black Ops was out, and I know I was personally playing that game a lot, but probably only because Reach wasn't fun for me.

I dont have any problem getting people to go play 3, im not talking about HaloGaf here, but outside of Halogaf none of my friends moved on to Reach.

Incidental evidence though, and means nothing, I know. As for your point in question, Halo 3 is laggier, has longer matchmaking times, has inconsistent matchmaking, im not sure Reach is played more because Halo 3 is a bad game per say, just that its now technically inferior at 5 years old. Im willing to bet that if Reach had come out a year after Halo 3 did, that it would be a different story.

Top Bottom