• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT4| Trust's a Tough Thing to Come by These Days

A few other art pieces nominated alongside Liberto's that I thought were great:

Matt Nava for Journey:

William Wu for Assassin's Creed III:

Shaddy Safadi for The Last of Us:

God, I love Journey. I love it so much. But those other two pieces kind of put the Journey piece to shame.

Journey really only impacts me when its in motion.

See, for me, this complaint is really only relevant for the first encounter with the enemy in a match. That encounter RARELY decides the winner of the match.

Yes, there are people who cycle through Armor Abillities during a match - but the VAST MAJORITY of players stick with the one they picked at the beginning (or the one they switched to after seeing what the majority of the opposing team was using).

And the idea of backing out of a fight because of the AA being used by the guy on the other team... that seems silly. You almost never have that choice.

I don't know - I guess I'm just saying that while I lose plenty of games, I can almost NEVER blame those losses on the 'clouding of battlefield knowledge'. (I get fooled by Holograms, every once in a while - but I'd say that I'm fooled FAR more often by someone camping where I wasn't expecting them - something that relies on NOTHING added to the game by any sequel.)

I agree that the vast majority generally sticks with one loadout. Quick question: Have you played Modern Warfare or any Call of Duty since then? Bear with me. A big focal point of that series is choosing different loadouts during the course of a match. The accessibility of loadout selection (available by pressing Start or on the spawn screen) mixed with personally customizable loadouts means that people change their loadouts at least once per match. I can't say for certain that this will happen with Halo 4, but with a new focus on these features in Halo, I see people switching loadouts more often than with Reach.

If someone comes at me with Armor Lock in Reach, I run away. I don't even mess with it anymore. Same thing if I see my radar getting scrambled. I want the enemy to come to me on my terms, and those variables usually means the enemy has the upper hand in the situation from clouding my judgment on the battlefield.

I wouldn't say I lose games on these variables, but I do lose more individual encounters.

But you couldn't see your opponents secondary in Halo:CE or Halo 2.

I can't recall a first-person shooter that had this feature before Halo 3, which is why I didn't hold it against Halo 1 or 2.

Being able to see secondary weapons was a substantial step forward in Halo 3, which is why 3 has my favorite multiplayer yet. (The power drainer was the only equipment I had an issue with that was used in regular matchmaking. There wasn't a con to using it, and there wasn't a visual indicator that the enemy had one when facing him/her.)

Overdoziz

Banned
7293312770_16f8ddf91a_z.jpg

Homeboyd

Can I just throw in my two cents for a minute?
-snipped-
I'm in your camp as well. While I may not be as on board as you are with how you viewed AA's the first few go arounds (the only times I've used AL is in Elite Slayer multi-team; stick, lock, stick, lock, etc... usually for challenges), but I'm certainly with you on and understand why they were introduced.

I think 343 changing the game up this much has caused enough stir, both positive and negative, to pique everyone's interests; old halo vets™ and the FNG's. Most of us here have logged thousands of hours into each installment along the way and we're used to a certain playstyle that we believe is the reason Halo is as popular as it's been. And I believe we're right on the money. But like you mentioned, we're older now... FPS' have shifted their focus to more modern style shooters and even though Halo is still up there in the online #'s, the sales charts will show you what our generation is interested in.

I am personally really looking forward to trying all these things that have created such an incredible stir in our tight little (giggity) community. I want to know whether or not the guy who complained about loadouts was correct in his assumptions or whether or not 343 was able to pull off what he didn't believe they could and make it balanced and fun. The guys who've been playing the series from the beginning will undoubtedly pick this game up and continue to log those incredible hours into it as they always have, but this time we will see a lot of newcombers or those who have previously bailed on the franchise to play something newer and fresher come back to the series.. and that's what I'm excited about seeing. 343 knows that to return this game to it's rightful throne (IT IS THE RIGHTFUL HEIR AND IT WILL HAVE IT'S VENGEANCE!
FIND MY DRAGONS!
) and I believe they are doing exactly what needs to be done in order to retake it.

I can't wait to find out whether or not they're able to pull off the balance amongst all of these (so far revealed) crazy options and customizations we've seen that so many are already doubting they can do.

Come on man, there are pretty easy to spot reasons why Reach is the most populated Halo game out there at the moment. The better statistic to look at is Halo games populations 1.5 years after launch, Halo 3 was doing a lot better than Reach is at this point in its lifespan.

I mean I can only speak for myself and the small group of people I know who really play Halo, but except for HaloGaf, no one I knows still plays halo, some people play Halo 3 here and there, but ultimately most have given up on the franchise. Halo 3 is still a great game sure, and thats why people still infrequently play it, but considering the timespan, and the state the game has been left in, rather than move on to Reach, or play a gimped version of Halo 3, most people I know just dont bother anymore. Mostly probably because its now literally impossible to go in with a full team in the playlists they play most and get a game. Im kind of tempted to say im part of that statistic, except I still probably venture into Reach more than most I know do, I only end up playing a few games here and there though.
When you compare 24-hour population counts n days post-launch, the numbers on 3 and Reach are similar.

Louis Wu

Awesome, I loved the atmosphere and scale in that piece when I first saw it.

Anyone know what game this is from? It looks interesting and I can't find any information on it
Pretty amazing - google searches for 'Wild East' turn up only the Into The Pixel site. Double Helix lists nothing about the game, or even that they're developing it. Eytan Zana lists Naughty Dog as his current employer - no links there, either. Weird.

Pretty amazing - google searches for 'Wild East' turn up only the Into The Pixel site. Double Helix lists nothing about the game, or even that they're developing it. Eytan Zana lists Naughty Dog as his current employer - no links there, either. Weird.
Maybe it is a title which gets announced at E3?

yeah mine too

Hey Stinkles, I don't know what happened but my Halo 4 Beta key isn't working....so...there's that.
I cannot wait to read the HaloWaypoint threads about this. lol.

MrBig

The game is called 'Wild East'.

It says it right there above the art. :p

I guess it hasn't been announced yet. The first artist listed for it is currently at Naughty Dog. Whoops, the second part of your post didn't register in my mind or something

heckfu

Banned
I'm hopping on Reach in about 10 minutes. See you losers there.

Feels good to be back, by the way. I really appreciated all the love when I was first banned and then on my graduation news hitting the thread. You guys are alright, sometimes.

I'm hopping on Reach in about 10 minutes. See you losers there.

Feels good to be back, by the way. I really appreciated all the love when I was first banned and then on my graduation news hitting the thread. You guys are alright, sometimes.

Good thing most of us called it a night right now then. :p

kylej

Banned
What was the code for? Some say it is multi-use, but there must be some limit as I it said to enter a valid code.

It only is valid for 5 entries. It was for the Halo 4 network test. Plywood had a bunch of codes to give out because he's been friends with Frankie since middle school.

Top Bottom