• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT4| Trust's a Tough Thing to Come by These Days

Arnie

Yeah, no one has ever done behind closed doors things at E3.... =p

Can you imagine how underwhelmed the average journalist will be when they navigate through some pitch black, snaking corridors that open out onto an MLG main stage with a few pros just BR'ing each other. Especially when the next room is a liver demonstration of say, Bioshock Infinite.

Conversely, that's like my idea of heaven.

Louis Wu

Wow, first I've seen that.

While the concept is funny, I really don't like being impersonated - I'd really like to ask whoever's responsible to shut that down. (I haven't gotten any emails about it yet - but I'm confident I will, eventually.) Thanks.

LOL so damn funny! Bravo.

Edit: Keep it classy, hope it doesn't offend Wu.
It doesn't offend me - I just feel like the joke is made in a place where its context has been removed. It's no longer ribbing within a community - it's something that could legitimately be confused as mine by someone who knows NOTHING about GAF.

Again - I'd appreciate it if it were taken down.

kylej

Banned
I'll pay 50 bucks for a 3 day streaming pass of Ninja 1v1ing people and Ninja/Formal 2v2ing people from the media at E3.

nbraun80

Matchmaking in Halo:Reach is a endless stream of grey maps. :(
no joke, but I don't know if that still as bad as sword base or not. ha Also you'd think the least they could do is take individual pics of these levels so I can better recall them, rather than the same forge world pic every time.

Arnie

Just finished my second year of University, so I'm going to play some Reach with buddies. This is foreshadowing when I finish my third and final year, before sitting down in a dark room with Frank to discuss my contract terms as 'head of skill based ranking'.

Toddler

Listening to the Halo 3 OST tonight as I do some animation work.

I knew this thing was fucking amazing, but I'd forgotten just how amazing it really was.

Standout tracks:

Disc 1:

Released
Brutes
To Kill A Demon
This Is Our Land
Dread Intrusion (because it's got Ghosts of Reach in it :))
Farthest Outpost
Behold A Pale Horse

Disc 2:
Three Gates
One Final Effort
Halo Reborn
Greatest Journey
Roll Call
Finish the Fight

ODST is so sexy. Easily my most replayed campaign next to CE.

Hey You

There was some data points brought up regarding the usage of split-screen in TO that was said to be the reason why it wouldn't be possible at the time.

I'm not sure if the situation has changed, but I'll look into it and ask.

Awesome, when the Team Flag playlist came out with only Community maps it was a blast and refreshing.

Autosentry - Thanks to the description, we know that this ability “is an automated turret which can be deployed to defend the wearer or command a busy battlefield checkpoint.”
Promethean Vision - Ability to see enemies through walls
Regeneration Field - regenerator from halo 3.
Hologram - Returns from Halo: Reach, but unclear if it works exactly the same way
Hardlight Shield - looks like a shield to block fire. A bit like the wraith shield from resistance.
Active Camouflage - A Halo staple at this point that will most likely function similarly to previous games
Thruster Pack - Replacement to evade. Probably has the same function as the thruster from that original trailer.

Firepower - According to the description, this allows the player to carry two primary weapons.
Resupply - full ammo at start, most probably.
Grenadier - Perhaps this gives you an extra slot to hold a third grenade type or access to a unique grenade type
Awareness - increased radar range.
Shielding - increased shield regeneration
AA Efficiency - Might stand for “Armor Abilities Efficiency” in which case it could mean your armor abilities use up less energy or they recharge faster

Heres what I think about the new perks (what else are you going to call them?) changes in bold.

Awareness allows you to see your radar while scoped in.

But I'm pretty sure there will be more specializations at launch, these are just in beta. Also wouldn't be surprised if there are more armor abilities as well.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Those specializations aren't bad at all. They offer slight enhancements to your cause, but aren't going to make bad players great. They seem even more subtle than CoD perks.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
man, still thinking about pros playing against the gaming press and other nerds at E3.

it's gonna be Unlimited Slayer x 10. I hope my beloved Formal gets rips their dicks off with multiple blainer exterminations.
This reminds me about when people were excited about Mike Tyson going full retard in a kindergarten.

Four Sleapz.

nsfSA.gif

haha this may come across as D slurping :p but I like how Frankie posts here without sounding like a boring PR guy like 95% of the industry people who post on Gaf.

I dunno if Cyren has posted this in here but one of our halo council guys Sam Rambles made this e3 presentation thread.

"And now we welcome Frankie on the stage!"

Crowd claps steadily, nervously anticipating a reveal of Microsoft's latest killer franchise, hoping to make a dent into COD's dominance over the casual FPS market.

Frankie enters left, controller in hand

Crowd drops silent, you could cut the nervous excitement and tension with a knife. A pin drops, a small man trips on some cable.

Frankie opens his mouth, ready for his great reveal...

The enormous screen behind him flickers live. The dominant title screen of Halo 4 appears. Familiar monk choir echoes around the hall. A woman begins to clap, and is quickly silenced and ushered outside.

"And now ladies and gentlemen of E3, i'm here to reveal so far unreleased footage of Halo 4. Its what you've all been waiting for. This is bigger than the campaign. Bigger than the multiplayer. Bigger than forge. Bigger than jetpacks."

The crowd is fit to burst. A man faints. The tubes of the internet strain under the enormous pressure of millions of excited Halo fans, palpable with excitement.

Frankie clicks a few buttons, menu screens pop up, he selects matchmaking.

An audible exclamation of shock erupts from the theatre. The screen displays something so exciting, so incredible that all other games are forgotten in an instant.

A small number '1' sits quietly next to his Gamertag. Resting in its resplendence.

"It goes to 50."

Frankie puts down the controller and walks out of the auditorium, leaving the single image burning a permanent image into the retinas of all those who are present.

The world turns. Nobody moves.

Select was horrible anyway. The sight lines sucked were pretty bad and the hill o the middle was way to steep.
Not sure what good sight lines are supposed to be, though. Makes it sound like unless a player can see other players from across the map and take pot shots all day, then the map must be bad. Probably not what you meant. I actually liked Select. I thought it was an above average map,much better than half the non-forge maps that shipped with Reach. It played like an arena map, but on a bigger scale. The lack of sight lines allowed players to actually move around and not get donged on by full teams.

5 months isn't long at all now is it? 343i, thanks for making this game come out on my birthday as now I have an excuse not to pay for it :).

The Diablo 3 hype train be over, time to hop a train that hopefully goes to a less tourist saturated location, if you catch my drift.

I was just thinking, given what's been leaked...

HtDDY.png

Maybe this is the autoturret, and not an awkward looking jetpack like everyone initially assumed.

Ah, that may very well be the case. My question is will things like Autoturret have limited deployments? Ammo so to speak, more like equipment? Since players have to unlock it themselves I am sure they will then not be confused about how and when to use it.

Every one of you that wanted updates to Invasion need to play the updated playlist and give the CCs bugfixes and feedback for them. We had to work hard to convince 343 to drop the playlist down to 2-split so we could get the new content in. So help us out in showing 343 they made the right decision.

Hopefully this also means we finally get an updated Invasion gametype for use in FW maps.

Yup, definitely will do, I can't wait to try the maps out!

Four Sleapz.

So your original 16 sleeps, which ends in a day or so was a little off? Or did you factor some all-nighters into your calculations? :lol

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Xbox App, and a tab open with every major site streaming it.

Will watch the best quality stream and mute the rest but keep the tabs open incase the one I'm watching dies or glitches.

TheOddOne

Ah, that may very well be the case. My question is will things like Autoturret have limited deployments? Ammo so to speak, more like equipment? Since players have to unlock it themselves I am sure they will then not be confused about how and when to use it.
Would not suprise me if it was like MW2's Sentry Gun.

In before Kyle.

Overall these changes (the abilities listed - faster shields, regen, hardlight shield, autoturrent) seem like they might actually increase the average kill time. What do you guys think?

Oh hey. I just learned that I won't be at work during MS' E3 conference (will be working earlier and finishing earlier).

Looks like I'll be here with the rest of you nerds. Great.

Overall these changes (the abilities listed - faster shields, regen, hardlight shield, autoturrent) seem like they might actually increase the average kill time. What do you guys think?

Hm, I'd say maybe these will be create more of a range of kill times, but hopefully the average won't be higher than that of Reach. In other words, hopefully the base kill times are lower than Reach but average out as the same due to special abilities.

I think they just need to limit them to specific playlists(which I think they've said will be the case). For example, Team Slayer which has less people and smaller maps, shouldn't have the autoturret or the shield. Those would work in BTB on a larger map with more players, but not TS. So as long as they just make sure they're limited to playlists which they work in kind of like Bungie finally began to do near the end of their time with Reach, then I think it will be ok.

daedalius

E3 is so soon, and they just released the trailer for Skyrim DLC... SOGOOD.gif

I really need to make a new character, when you're level 62, nothing is hard anymore; at all.

Shield regen doesn't effect kill time imo. If your in a firefight with no cover, this has no effect. It essentially allows you to get back into the action quicker.

Hardlight Shield we haven't seen in action. If the shield is breakable, it shouldn't be a problem, especially if the player receives splash damage from grenades. You could easily throw grenades under the shield.

Auto turret also has yet to be seen. I'm not sure why this would increase kill time.

Top Bottom