• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT4| Trust's a Tough Thing to Come by These Days

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i liked gears 1's MP but felt the single player was dull dull dull. the second game improved on SP considerably, but i hardly touched the multiplayer. i couldnt get into either the SP or MP of gears 3 based on the beta/demo and skipped it entirely. really hoping people can fly (is it confirmed to be them or just rumored?) take it in a different direction, or at the very least change things up considerably.

Gears 2 horde mode was awesome though. So much fun.

oh yeah, forgot about that. good times were had with that. where i spent the majority (which admittedly, still wasnt much) of my time with the game.

Tawpgun

No dedis is Good Enough.

Dedi's among them, but I'm talking about shit like the Ranked/Social breakdown (though in 343's defense, they haven't announced how it works yet)

The Weapon Spawns on map system and how every player can see where they spawn instead of introducing an incredibly controversial ordnance system.

A beta that actually fixes and improves a lot?

Retro got hella nerfed
Sawed Off got hella nerfed
ENTIRE MAPS GOT REDISIGNED WITH MORE PATHS AND AREAS. If only Sword Base got the same treatment.

Overdoziz

Banned
Last Stand what in gods name?

Someone is talking out of their ass here.
Being down, last stand, same thing. Nothing more awesome than downing someone and having to run all the way to where they are just because he's crawling on the ground behind one of the thousand pieces of chest-high pieces of cover.
I actually just don't like it because 3rd person shooter combat is awkward as fuck.

Pretty amazing how an Autoturret is now a thing in Halo multiplayer and noone bats an eye. Really goes to tell you how screwed up things are in 2012 Halo.
Mainly because no one really knows what it's role is, do they? I'm of a mind to start judging things once they've been officially talked about, but that's just me.

That's just because Gears is a terrible franchise.
I think the only thing you like is hating everything.

Robbert about the E3 app, it's not located on the apps marketplace, it is under the home tab, smack bang in the middle besides your game disk and quick play boxes. There should be a set of four notifications/adverts, and it will flip through it, it should be the first one that pops up. If not let it load up and flick through.

See if it's there for you.

Mainly because no one really knows what it's role is, do they? I'm of a mind to start judging things once they've been officially talked about, but that's just me.

Oh, would you look at that? Someone actually bieng rational, I'm not sure how you mangaged to survive this long on this forum without bieng chased away by ignorance. For that, I applaud you.

Trey

Being down, last stand, same thing. Nothing more awesome than downing someone and having to run all the way to where they are just because he's crawling on the ground behind one of the thousand pieces of chest-high pieces of cover.
I actually just don't like it because 3rd person shooter combat is awkward as fuck.

There was a mode where you could shoot downed players. I wanna say it was conquest but I'm not sure.

It's actually pretty clear and responsive aside from all the characters moving like they look; beefy and stiff.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
So close!

Preshow.png
Monday.png
Tuesday.png
Wednesday.png

If you're that far away and no one on your team is closer you're probably playing it wrong ;)

and yeah the controls are a little screwy, and it could use a bumper jumper layout kinda thing, but I guess that's where the pros are separated from the chaff

Homeboyd

I hope when you call in a sentry gun, a UNSC styled crate drops from a Pelican.
I'm curious to know how these will work. I get it in CoD considering only a couple shots takes you down, but unless they're pretty powerful, it doesn't appear it would be able to rake up too many kills in MM. Just thinking about how little turrets are used in MM maps now... and they're player controlled.

After seeing Chapter 1 of S10 of RvB, I started watching over the series from the beginning. I feel pretty confident saying what I said about why I don't like the current season (and much of season 9). Not funny, less emphasis on Sarge and the gang, and taking itself too seriously.

The end of this episode highlights it pretty well (Episode 56). The orders Sarge gives are hilarious. O'Malley was definitely the series' best villain.

Tawpgun

You get mad points for downing a guy. Unless you're one of those people that NEEEEDS to have that kill stat pop up on the final screen. There's plenty of those.

It promotes teamwork. You gotta finish your kills.

And it seems to me like you were just bad at the game. Couldn't grasp its concept because its not very intuitive. If you play Gears MP like you play Gears SP, you're gonna have a bad time... You have to be constantly moving. Wallbouncing. Rolling around.

No other game feels like it. And you feel VERY much in control.

Havok

You get mad points for downing a guy. Unless you're one of those people that NEEEEDS to have that kill stat pop up on the final screen. There's plenty of those.
I really like how they constructed their points system. Points for partial damage instead of a binary assist/no assist system, points and stat tracking for Downs separated from Kills, and a low point value for people that just rush in at the end to take the kill. It's rewards the entire timeline of an encounter, not just the end.

(also, the new Humble Bundle is pretty incredible, buy buy buy)

After seeing Chapter 1 of S10 of RvB, I started watching over the series from the beginning. I feel pretty confident saying what I said about why I don't like the current season (and much of season 9). Not funny, less emphasis on Sarge and the gang, and taking itself too seriously.

The end of this episode highlights it pretty well (Episode 56). The orders Sarge gives are hilarious. O'Malley was definitely the series' best villain.

Agreed. If they want a more 'serious' plot then they need to amp up the funny, even if it is more subtle. its just not doing it for me now. And yeah, the original RvB guys need to be more of a focus.

Campaign and Spartan ops gameplay footage on monday. Proper MP footage too sometime the next week.
huh?

Fracas

#fuckonami
Hey guys, just bought Halo CEA from Gamefly, it came with codes for Master Chief armor for your avatar. I don't really want it, so: First one to answer this correctly gets their choice of either male or female master chief avatar armor (from Halo CEA)

What "magical" number does Bungie include references to in their games?

Homeboyd

Hey guys, just bought Halo CEA from Gamefly, it came with codes for Master Chief armor for your avatar. I don't really want it, so: First one to answer this correctly gets their choice of either male or female master chief avatar armor (from Halo CEA)

SEVEN
TYTWOMILLION

Trey

Cube root of 343, but I don't want it.

The Weapon Spawns on map system and how every player can see where they spawn instead of introducing an incredibly controversial ordnance system.

A beta that actually fixes and improves a lot?

Retro got hella nerfed
Sawed Off got hella nerfed
ENTIRE MAPS GOT REDISIGNED WITH MORE PATHS AND AREAS. If only Sword Base got the same treatment.

You should get nerfed for using the world "hella". Twice.

Agreed on your beta changes though, especially the maps.

Should I pull the trigger on this, guys?

No, better to pretend that 3 and 4 don't exist.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Bought that Humble Bundle 5 for $7 and I'm not even a PC gamer. Should run fine on my work PC though, and new Mac whenever I finally get one.

EDIT: I bought the Alien Anthology for $40 a few weeks back. Has some awesome extras in it and I watched the first movie for the first time the other weekend. Marathoning 2,3,4 this weekend. Don't care how bad they get. :p

In fact, this still from Prometheus really reminds me of security, and it captures the futuristic and clean look I am imagining:

http://i.imgur.com/DJetF.png

Of course, thats not a whole helmet, but I think it shows off what I have in mind.
If you're going to post stills from Prometheus, please link them instead of embedding. I stay out of the Prometheus OT for a reason.

-------
Okay, two things for E3 prep: GAF will probably go down often. Be prepared.

There is a HaloGAF Facebook group. It has a decent chat feature and we have about 42 Gaffers in there. It is a "secret" group so you can't find it in search (gotta keep out the lurkers). Send me a PM if you would like to join.

(This is not a replacement for Dani's FUD chat. There is also going to be a HaloGAF tinychat room, I believe. I think there are more details on the Facebook page.)

-------
I also had another idea for spreading E3 info in case GAF crashes:

Does anyone want to post Halo 4 news on HaloGAF.com?

Anyone is welcome to do this. The more participants the better.
1. Follow this link and create a user account on Wordpress.com if you don't already have one. (You don't need a Wordpress blog to do this.)
2. PM me your username and I will grant you contributor access.

What I'm looking for:
- News posts on anything Halo-related that would be thread-worthy at GAF.
- Posts with any new screenshots or video you have found.
- Links to sources of Halo 4 info.

What I'm not looking for:
- Halo community stuff.
- Analysis, opinions, etc. Cold hard facts only.
- I don't care which MLG player farted today. New Halo 4 info only please.

Basically, whenever someone pops into the thread and asks "I've been gone for a day, what did I miss?" we can point them to the HaloGAF.com feed and they'll get caught up on the actual news without having to sift through the extra stuff. (Not that I have anything against that other stuff, I'm just trying to keep a tight focus.) I imagine Dani's page and HBO will be the best sources of E3 info, but I figured a backup/group-editable page would be a good idea as well.

As always, NeoGAF's rules apply to HaloGAF.com - no scans, play nice, etc.

- This is NOT a replacement for any existing site, particularly anything at FUD, HBO, THC, etc. This is just an experiment on leveraging HaloGAF's speed at finding and posting news.
- This is voluntary, there are no expectations. Contribute if you want to. If this whole thing is a terrible idea I'll shut it down.
- If this works, it can be a normal thing going forward. (i.e. it doesn't have to just be for E3)

Thoughts?

Aggrotek

I wouldn't. The first two movies are great but 3 and 4 were pretty much average. I'm reasonably sure that you can find copies of the first two movies for less than 20 bucks.

Found the Digipack edition of the 1st one for $5. Definitely hold off on the Quadrilogy, it really isn't worth it.

Fracas

#fuckonami
IMO each Gears game is markedly better than the last. 3 was a great game overall, I'd give it a 9/10.

Although I absolutely cannot stand the 1st game, and the second is still considerably worse than 3.

They were turrible in Halo 3.

They where in single player only in Halo 3, I dont like the idea of them in multiplayer.

Also Gears of War Prequel? Within a year of the last one? Weird. I still haven't played Gears 3 so im not exactly hyped, but im quite curious to see what they are doing with it, people are saying a different developer is making it?

TheOddOne

They where in single player only in Halo 3, I dont like the idea of them in multiplayer.

Also Gears of War Prequel? Within a year of the last one? Weird. I still haven't played Gears 3 so im not exactly hyped, but im quite curious to see what they are doing with it, people are saying a different developer is making it?
Yeah, it is a internal studio of Epic (the bought them) called People Can Fly. The made the Painkiller series and Bulletstorm (Awesome game btw).

Top Bottom